CarComplaints.com Notes: It would be ill-advised to blaze any trails with the 2004 Trailblazer. Its faulty fuel gauge could leave you stranded.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Dec 032015

Trailblazer

Dash cluster, reads below 0 or over 100mph at times, sometimes sticks at 5 or 10mph. Sometimes buries speedometer and tach, all dash lights come on and car will shut down at speeds over 60mph. This sould be recalled! have read of similar problems on all car forums and complaint sites and other google inquiries as well.didn't.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

May 182006

Trailblazer

The icv valve on the gas tank recived letter on extended warranty for repairs.GM knew about this problem for years because the letter says the ses light comes on, and my light has been on for years since it was about 2 years old, they knew this and played dumb about the problem.gas fumes have been in the car for years to.

- Astoria, OR, USA

Aug 012015

Trailblazer

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at approximately 8:55pm my mother was involved in a 1 car accident on baum rd located in tallahassee, fl. She was the only passenger determined to be in the vehicle at the time of the accident. According to the crash report, D1 (driver one) was traveling westbound on baum rd going the normal posted speed of 55mph, when she veered towards the center of the rd and suddenly turned right veering of the right shoulder of the rd and striking several trees on the drivers side and front end. D1 was wearing her seatbelt and managed to exit out the drivers side window before coming to her final resting place on the shoulder of the rd. When I went to retrieve my mothers things from her Trailblazer, I noticed that no air bags had deployed. And as fast as my mom was going and the type of impact & damage her SUV sustained, I would think and hope the airbags would deploy in this type of accident, thus preventing serious injury or death. My mom was not so lucky, and myself and my family have endured great pain from loosing her so suddenly.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Trailblazer

Discovered a crack on my dashboard on the drivers side. Crack starts where the VIN is located up through the slits over the speaker on the drivers side.

- Riverivew, FL, USA

Mar 292015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Car parked in driveway and flames erupted from under hood.

- Lawton, OK, USA

May 062011

Trailblazer

I started the car first thing in the morning and noticed as I backed out of the garage that my speedometer wasn't working. As I drove down my street, I watched it, and it never moved. The needle was not pointing straight down, but was significantly below 0. later the same day, it began working again, though the needle movement was jerky. Two days later, it stopped again and has not worked since. I contacted GM and they said there isn't an active recall on this problem, even though they have recalled practically every other SUV they made that year for a problem with the instrument panel. This is more than an annoyance, it's a safety hazard, and I think GM should step up and repair the problem, especially since a cursory google search turns up many, many other Trailblazer owners with the same issue. I would appreciate any help the NHTSA could offer.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

May 022011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Gas gauge jumps around... especially when fuel is low. Sometimes at its lowest, it will show half a tank. Now that my wife drives this SUV with my 7-month old son, it is particularly worrisome.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Jun 012009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Failure of the gauge cluster on a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer currently with 59,300 miles. About June 2009 the tach continually read incorrectly. Dealer tried to mislead me to bring it in for a diagnosis at a cost of approx. $100 I told them its broke why should I pay for a diagnosis. I had read about the problem on -line at edmunds, com.,my SUV had 41,000 to 42,000 miles on it. In July 2010 my gas gauge started to occasionally malfunction, now Jan. 2011 it is incorrect. In Nov. 2010 my charging gauge started malfunctioning. I also have since read online of the same problem on other similar year GM trucks ans SUV and they have recalls on them. Its just a matter of time for the speedometer gauge to read incorrectly. Please help, these malfunctions are not safe.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jul 152009

Trailblazer

The speedometer quit reading correctly. At some times it would read 100 mph when doing 30 mph. It then worsened to the point where it is at now. The speedometer does not work at all. The tachometer has malfunctioned the same way as well. This has to be a safety issue since the driver has no way of truly knowing how fast they are driving. I have contacted Chevrolet about this issue, and they refuse to see that thousands of these vehicles are having the same problem. There should be a safety recall now.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Jun 232008

Trailblazer

In 2008, one day I started my vehicle and noticed the oil gauge indicator did not register. That day I continued driving without the gauge operating. Later that week I took it a mechanic, who instructed me to take it to the dealer. He suspected that it was the instrument panel. I did not take it to the dealer, because it was not major. However, in later months the tachometer failed. In 2010 I did some research on the instrument panel on the Chevy Trailblazer and found many accounts of failure by others. I also want to mention that the gas gauge has failed on occasion. Currently, my tachometer and oil gauge does not work. I along with other drivers want Chevrolet to take responsibility for the failure of their product, which they know does not operate as it should.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 232008

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 222010

Trailblazer

2004 Trailblazer when stopping doors and windows won, T open at times, even when pushing unlock button.trapped inside. Stopping and starting engines seems to finally unlock doors, carrying hammer to bust out windows in case of emergency fire ect.repair of electrial equiment by maher St pete fl. Now

- St Pete , FL, USA

Jun 012006

Trailblazer

Horn has intermittent issues of working - we have taken to the dealership on several occasions and then it works. They do not want to take apart the steering wheel assembly to research the problem regardless of the number of times we have had the vehicle to the dealership. Now that the warranty is expiring, I am sure the problem will be researched since it will be at our cost. The horn only seems to work when the car is first started and the steering wheel is moved shapely. Since it is under the air bag, the dealership doesn't want to deal with it.

- Raleigh, NC, USA