CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 11 of 20)

Jan 252011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The speedometer won't go back to zero and sticks making it look like you are going 90-120 mph. It cost $450 to get the cluster panel replaced and should be under the recall along with the Chevrolet trucks.

- Kenton, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Trailblazer

Since June 2010, the fuel level gauge on my 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer has not functioned properly. Regardless of the actual fuel level, it reads at 1/4 tank or below, which causes me to rely on my trip odometer to estimate my current fuel levels. I have checked with the Chevrolet dealerships, and they are charging between $500 - $800 to correct this problem! as the previous owner of two GM vehicles and the daughter and granddaughter of General Motors retirees', I am sorely disappointed in General Motors refusal to admit the failure of the fuel gauge system that has affected thousands of vehicles.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Trailblazer

My RPM gauges started messing up need my speedometer started next. They started sticking and jumping up. My 2005 Trailblazer only has 47,000 miles on it and the check engine light stays on all the time. Has been serviced regularly so I really don't know what it going on with it!

- Texarkana, AR, USA

Dec 212008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

2005 Chevy Trailblazer, the speedometer quit working and also the oil pressure gauge.

- Weston, WI, USA

Jan 032011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The gauges on the instrument cluster malfunctioned and no longer display the correct information. The dealer confirmed that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle will be repaired by the dealer but not under warranty. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Commerce City, CO, USA

Jan 112011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Speed-O-meter erratic and does not register properly. Sometimes does not work at all. Has resulted in being stopped and ticketed by law enforcement for speeding.

- Firestone, CO, USA

Nov 262010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I bought a Trailblazer 2005 the heater resister wire harness has melted wires, and the speedometer would stick after 20 miles of driving. Had no idea how fast I was going and the melted wires are plain dangerous. I've read many many complaints online about these problems yet nothing has been done to correct them. I was doing over 100 mph before I realized the speedometer wasn't reading correctly it said 72 mph. I've read many people smell smoke when the wire harness melts. Could easily start a fire.. both seem very dangerous to me and I cant believe they have not recalled them yet..are we waiting for someone to get killed first?? I've never filed a complaint like this before and I have no idea if it helps, but I needed to try something. Thank you

- Malta, MT, USA

Jan 062011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

We just purchased a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer ls 4WD, we have had it for four days and today the speedometer stopped working, it has wound all the way around, we pulled over and tried to restart the car in the attempt to reset it. We had to drive all the way home without being able to tell at what speed we were driving, which is highly unsafe. In my belief this is misleading information, by not knowing how fast you are going.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Sep 212010

Trailblazer

Over the past year I have a variety electrical problems with my Blazer. The gas gauge has stopped working, indicating that it is low on fuel or empty and my speedometer is no longer functioning. I have had to push all the way on the gas pedal at times to get the car to go. Very dangerous especially when merging onto highways/freeways. I will never buy another Chevy again!

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Jan 012010

Trailblazer

I currently own a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. Over the past year I have a variety electrical problems with my Blazer. In the January of 2010 I had to replaced by ac / heater as it simply went out. When the vehicle was fixed a certified mechanic he showed us the wiring harness that had simply malfunctioned and melted all of the wires together. Now in the past three months my gas gauge has stopped working, indicating that it is low on fuel or empty and my speedometer is no longer functioning. I am very worried about the electrical problems and the risk of a potential hazards to myself and my family.

- Holmen, WI, USA

Nov 252010

Trailblazer

2005 Chevy Trailblazer gas guage does not work. It's on empty all the time, even when you fill up. While driving today on the freeway I set the crusie control and the speedometer goes haywire. It goes all the way over and stays stuck. I don't know how fast I'm driving or how much gas I have. Dealership does not have recall. Gas guage was fixed once while vehicle was under warranty. Gas gauge will cost 600 to repair. I don't know about speedometer. As a consumer I feel cheated. After all I am the one payin the note each month.

- Brookhaven, MS, USA

Aug 052010

Trailblazer

05 Chevy Trailblazer speedometer cluster is defective...RPM continues to malfunction along with speedometer breakage.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 212010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

2005 Chevy Trailblazer speedometer cluster unit is a safety hazard. Goes out of whack, never know how fast your going. Teenagers are in danger.

- Winslow , ME, USA

Jul 062010

Trailblazer

I own a 2005 Trailblazer that I am having a problem with the speedometer that at certain times will either stop working or read incorrectly (either over or under) the speed of what the truck is actually doing. My wife drives this vehicle and I'm concerned about her driving it and GM is saying that it will cost around 500 or more to repair, but yet they have a recall for the 03-04 but not the 05 or newer, why" what can be done to get this situation repaired since they definitely have a faulty product?"

- Nesbit, MS, USA

Nov 062010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

On 11/6/2010 while driving down the highway, smoke began to appear beneath the steering column. Pulled over and turned off vehicle, truck remained running and would not shut off, all lights interior and exterior lit up and would not shut off.... opened hood and began pulling fuses to shut vehicle off and disconnect power. Had to cut battery cable and pull about 20 fuses to shut off. Called for tow truck and after inspection by myself and numerous mechanics it was found that a bundle of approx 80 wires perpendicular to the steering column had melted and started on fire. Total damage over $6600. Vehicle is totaled and insurance company (geico) refuses to pay claiming it was a vehicle defect. I owe over 10K on vehicle, purchased used 02/20/2010 with 59K. Total loss estimated at over 17K since finance company is no help trying to assist with repairs, I am letting them reposess it.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Oct 012010

Trailblazer

Speedometer stops working in cold weather.

- Temple, TX, USA

May 202009

Trailblazer

The speedometer has stopped working. The gas gauge does not work. Also the fuses for the power plug ins continue to blow. These are safety hazards for my wife and kids while traveling alone.

- Puryear, TN, USA

Dec 242009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Purchased full tank of gas and the gauge goes to empty, which means the tank is shown to be on empty; unable to tell amount of gas in vehicle; other gauges work improperly, including radio knob which continues to turn endlessly, wires in radio pops; oil gauge on 60 or above.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Oct 242010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The speedometer to my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer fell below zero and my actual rate of speed was incorrect. It was raining when it happened, but I noticed that I was passing people easily on the interstate at only going around 55 mph. I thought that people were overreacting to the rain afterall it was just a shower. But when I slowed down to an exit ramp I noticed that I was at zero mph while still rolling at I guess 30 mph. I must have been doing 85-90 mph before and I just felt ill that I was going so fast and could have easily been fined or worse hydro planed in the rainy conditions. I read up on this issue with alot of GM products and especially with the trail Blazer models. My trail Blazer has less than 65,000 miles and is well maintenance, so such a failure has nothing to do with any neglect. Please investigate and makes sure that this common malfunction doesn't cost someone their health or lives. Thanks

- Hernando, MS, USA

Sep 152010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The speedometer gauge on my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer started acting up a month ago. The first problem I noticed was that the needle of the speedometer had fallen beyond the 0 mph mark and never changed while I was driving. The next time I drove it started working correctly again. The following week, as my husband was driving, it read that his speed was 60 mph when he was only going 30 mph. The very next day I drove it and the speedometer worked fine. Then again, a week later it malfunctioned while I was driving on the freeway! it completely freaked me out! I tried to stay with the flow of traffic but had no idea how fast I was really going. I immediately called my Chevy dealership's service department and asked about the problem. She informed me that I was no longer covered by a warranty (my car only has 58,000 miles on it) and that GM has issued recalls on the gauge cluster for the 2003 and 2004 Trailblazers but not the 2005. She then told me that it would cost $450 to $500 to fix the problem but that GM would 'most likely' reimburse me if/when they issue a recall. The speedometer is currently misreading about once a week. So I never know when I get in my car if it is going to work correctly or not. I did some research online and found that this a very common problem for owners of the 2005 Trailblazer. I am concerned that this is a major safety issue so I contacted GM directly and spoke to a service representative on the phone this morning. She told me that she was sorry about the problem but GM has no recall for this so I should go get it fixed on my own dime to avoid any further problems. I feel that this is an issue that GM should take responsibility for and send out a recall to insure that this faulty gauge cluster doesn't end up getting someone killed.

- Lehi, UT, USA