CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 12 of 20)

Oct 192010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Own a 2005 Trailblazer while driving headlights turn off then come back on after awhile very unsafe, gauges don't always work. Tachometer is just for show hasn't work for awhile now. 2. sometimes when I get in my T.B it won't start just won't crank over have to sit there holding the ignition forward til it cranks over my T.B only has 62,000 miles on it does someone need to die before something gets done so sad!!!

- Pleasanton, TX, USA

Feb 012010

Trailblazer

2005 Chevy Trailblazer gas gauge and speedometer both stopped working.

- Monaca, PA, USA

Oct 132010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving, the speedometer would indicate incorrect speeds. The contact called the dealer who stated that the failure was common. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 118,000.

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Oct 052010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

On way home from GM service garage where I found out I need a new dashboard cluster, the rpms gage started going haywire. Well it stalled 3 times on my way home. I was on a small incline the first time and I applied brakes and it wouldn't stop needed to use emergency brake. This is a safety issue lucky nobody was behind me.

- Hellertown, PA, USA

Oct 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The gas gauge stopped working first followed buy the speedometer and then engine light goes off and on. I complained to GM was told this is natural wear and tear on the vehicle. I now have 110,000 miles on it but started soon after extended warranty ran out at 65,000 miles. I will have to continue driving with these defects don't have $550-$600 for each item. This is a safety hazard and something should be done about it.

- Hellertown, PA, USA

Sep 032010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While attempting to use the air conditioner the contact noticed a burning smell coming from inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the resistor and connector was replaced. There were no prior warnings. The failure mileage was 50000 and the current mileage was 53000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jun 152010

Trailblazer

We purchased a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer ls and about a two months ago the speedometer will begin to stop working properly. After 40 mins of driving the gauge fails and will stay around 20 or be below 0 mph even on the highway. I contacted a local dealer who said there was no recall for this model and it would cost me over 500 dollars to repair. I don't have that kind of money. I'm very disappointed in this vehicle as I have heard hundreds of other complaints of the same for this model, and other GMC models. Is anyone going to stand for us, this is obviously a faulty vehicle. Please help.

- Clayton, NY, USA

Dec 042009

Trailblazer

2005 Chevy Trailblazer gas gauge reads empty when full and moves up and down periodically. We never know how much fuel we have another defect the vehicle has is that if we turn the headlights off during the day it causes a short in the taillights.after the same thing happening 3 times, I noticed the pattern and my wife being pulled over and ticketed made me pay close attention to this pattern. I do not recommend buying a Chevy Trailblazer or for that matter a Chevy, they have not been very responsive to their loyal customers.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 092010

Trailblazer

Vehicle started by failure of the fuel gauge. It shows empty even though I have just filled up with gas. This occurs every time I fill up. Then the oil light has gone haywire, and fails to reset itself, it points down to the bottom of the gauge. Now my speedometer will without warning stop working and freeze on a certain number, then go down to below zero and not work at all. This has caused me to not know how fast I was going at times. After turning off the vehicle it resets itself, but then happens again the next time. I have taken the vehicle to the shop several times and have been told that it is the instrument panel. I have read several complaints all over the internet and from friends who have the same vehicle. This is not something that is unique to my car. This is a serious problem and can cause accidents and people stranded if it is not fixed, or if GM does not look into this issue.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Aug 012009

Trailblazer

The speedometer is not functioning properly. The needle starts on 120 mph when I am sitting in the driveway.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Feb 212010

Trailblazer

Speedometer read that I was going 85mph, I was in a 35mph speed zone going with the flow of traffic.the speedometer ran counter clock wise then clock wise. After that episode the speedometer quit working all to together. Failure occurred 62,000 miles. In cold weather the headlights flicker. Also my fuel gauge stopped working, reads empty all the time.

- Altoona, AL, USA

Jan 152009

Trailblazer

I'm having issues with my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. The gas gauge stopped working, it is completely pointing down, now all of the gauges are not working.. my speedometer says I'm going 80-90 miles an hour when I'm at a complete stop. Its such a pain, not know how fast you are going, or how much gas you have. I have read a number of complaints in which people are having the same issues..they should really recall what ever is making the gauges do this..it sounds like it is a defect of some sort, and they don't want to fix it. Its too bad because I love my Trailblazer but wont ever buy another one because there are too many problems with them.

- O, CA, USA

Jun 102010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

After starting my vehicle sometimes the RPM gauge will not move, like the vehicle has not started, this has caused me to turn the key again causing my starter to make an awful sound, since the car was already running, RPM gauge however was not functioning. My speedometer will start out at 0 like normal but then will stick and go back down to 0 which doesn't allow me to see the speed I am going, at times it will stick around 40 mph. The fuel gauge does not work it always says I am empty. Which brings me to my final point, my odometer has started sticking, I gauge my gas mileage by my odometer, this could be a serious problem since the odometer is sticking, I could be thinking I have enough gas when in reality I do not, this could cause me to run out of gas, not to my own error but due to the malfunctioning gauges, which could cause me to stall and be rear ended. I travel on the interstate almost everyday and I am seriously concerned for my safety and the safety of other drivers.

- Lake Park, GA, USA

Dec 122009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The cluster, as I have been informed by a GM specialist, is defective on my 2005 Trailblazer. The problems with this causes me undue stress because I am never certain of the amount of gas I have and the oil meter gives misreading. I travel alone most of the time and with the uncertainty of the gas, it is always a frightening experience. This all started in 12/12/09 and recently GM had me go through the process, as if they did not already know the issues with these vehicles, to a tune of $100 plus dollars at my cost. After the inspection was complete, I was informed that due to the amount of mileage, slightly pass 67K when I contacted them and at the time they were informed that my extended warranty had expired, I was informed that there was nothing they could do about it. I think that the issue with them refusing to make amends regarding the vehicle and then to have my pay money was a true form of deception. I can not know the accurate speed, the gas needle sways from left to right and the oil needle, even during freezing temps, is always beyond the correct point. This is a slap in the face to me, a consumer, and they will not offer any assistance in remedying the problem. So, yes, it is a safety hazard because I bought a vehicle for dependability and this one does not afford that to me and their refusal is sickening. I have no trust in any of the gauges because I question the accuracy of them and too, the speedometer could really lead to getting tickets or worse.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Apr 082007

Trailblazer

Three out of six dashboard gauges don't work. Included are speedometer, tachometer, and gas gauge. The vehicle isn't safe because you don't know how fast you are going. Because of the faulty gas gauge, one never knows when or where you will run out of fuel. This opens you to running out of fuel in a dangerous location and also the loss of power steering and power brakes. This has been an ongoing problem since approximately 2008.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Jul 202010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Own 2005 Trailblazer. At 60,555 miles speedometer stops working and now registers over 120 mph. Had extended warranty that expired at 60,000 and was told that since the warranty was 555 miles out of coverage, it would cost me $500 to fix. Lights on instrument panel out as well. Please review need to recall as this seems to be a major issue that others are also experiencing.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 012009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The speedometer has failed and it appears that this is a serious problem and has been happening for years in many Chevy models especially the Trailblazer. They want 800 dollars to fix it. Only have 38900 miles on my 2005.

- Halifax, NC, USA

Jun 122009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the speedometer and the oil gauge failed. The dealer stated the speed control senor had failed and the failure was common but was not recalled. In addition, the speed control sensor also controlled the oil pressure gauge. The contact was concerned with not being able to determine if the oil pressure was dropping in the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 114,000.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Apr 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I reached 55,000 miles on my 2005 Chevy trailblaizer. Now, my speedometer is not working properly. It sticks and sometimes it does not even move off the 0mph. Better yet, my head lights are randomly turning off. This occurs at least one a day. I can not understand how Chevy can tell me this is not a safety issue. Unfortunately, I do not live in a place that hast day light 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and am forced to drive during the night hours. If my lights are out and an accident is caused, I will be held responsible for this. I'm sure I will eventuallyg et pulled over by the police, it's just I have been lucky so far. What do I explain to the officer, "sorry my lights are out and no, I do not know how fast I was going"" this is a joke! there are thousands of complaints posted all over the internet, yet Chevy will not admit to this "cluster" issue being related to safety? so when I get tickets from the police, fail my Massachusetts state inspection and maybe cause an accident, do I forward all bills to Chevy? and if a life is lost, how are they going to relace that? why can't they just recall this issue before this happens, if it hasn't already happened yet"

- Holyoke, MA, USA

Jul 102010

Trailblazer

Fuel sending unit failing. Multiple complaints posted online concerning the repeated failure of the fuel sending unit. Gauge needle moves up and down and primarily registers empty.

- Stephens City, VA, USA