CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 15 of 20)

Dec 062009

Trailblazer

Speedometer quit working on 2005 Chevy Trailblazer - no reason it quit. Went completely off of the gauge.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Dec 062009

Trailblazer

My 2005 Trailblazer instrument panel constantly fails - the speedometer stops working which is a safety issue. The gas gauge has been fixed once already and is now broken again. The vehicle has power surges which is another safety issue. The transmission shifts the car up and down when trying to slow down causing power surges. This is another safety issue. The following are other issues which this model vehicle: Stereo cd player stopped working, the check engine light comes on when the gas cap light, the lights flicker also. I ought this vehicle used and with a cracked front bumper which the dealer didn't fix (dealer stuck a little bondo on area and repainted it so I thought it was a new bumper when I accepted the car after repair. It cracked in a matter of days) and I know this was caused due to the surges in power. A severe safety issue. The vehicle has serious electrical problems the Chevrolet should stand behind and fix. It is not fair to the consumer. I have checked the web and have read many, many other similar complaints. Chevy owners should fill a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet if they don't do a recall and fix these problems. I experience a fender bender accident when my vehicle didn't stop and bumped another cars back bumper causing an accident and an insurance claim. I am fed up with this vehicle but can't afford to replace it. Linda vanauken

- Altamont, NY, USA

May 012008

Trailblazer

The gas gauge starts out erratic then will completely stop working and you never know how much gas is in your tank when you just filled it full. Vehicle will die for no reason in traffic and at times the headlights dim and volt meter drops randomly while driving. When you look at www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2005/Chevrolet/Trailblazer you see that this a common problem with the 2005. It needs to be addressed before there are deaths.

- Frederick, CO, USA

Nov 072009

Trailblazer

Headlights intermittently 'flash' for a second during first 5-10 minutes of driving. Have replaced alternator and idler pulley. GM suggests letting vehicle idle 1+ minute after start before engaging gear; this sometimes works. Dangerous and distracting to other motorists, as it appears to them like my vehicle is flashing its highbeams.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Oct 282009

Trailblazer

Headlights dim and volt meter drops randomly. Most evident at night, of course. Sometimes headlights fail completely for several seconds. Dealer has replaced alternator and fuse block but neither fix corrected the problem.

- La Crosse, WI, USA

Oct 232009

Trailblazer

I am the original owner of my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer and the speedometer stopped working completely and the dealer wants $350+ to fix it. I don't have that kind of money! I have been doing my research and discovered how many other people are having the same problem and it should be recalled and fixed by Chevy.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 022009

Trailblazer

All the inside and outside lights flicker when driving people think I'm high beaming them, tried to let TB idle for a minute but no good still flickering.

- Morrisville, PA, USA

Oct 162006

Trailblazer

I purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer in 2005, in 2006 the gas gauge went out, it did not read the amount of gas the vehicle had in it. Later that same year the speedometer would spin all the way around the dial. As of 2009 it completely went out. The gas gauge went out when thee was about 80,000 miles on the vehicle. The speedometer went out when there was about 110,000 miles on the vehicle. I went to a website and there are so many complaints about this vehicle. See www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Trailblazer/2005/electrical/speedometer_gone_haywire.shtml and www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Trailblazer/2005/electrical/fuel_gauge_quit_working.shtml please help tp have the parts on this vehicle recalled.

- Fairmont, NC, USA

Aug 012008

Trailblazer

Gas gauge quit working, cost to fix at dealership est. $1800, exterior lights flicker from high to low beam while driving, dealership cant find problem, car seems to "jump" or leap forward while coasting or when apply brake, dealership cant find the problems or cause, car stalls and RPM drop if gas pedal not pushed, windshield wipers started automatically and wont turn off. Had to take fuse out, therefore no wipers. All these items are a safety hazard to the family driving. The only problem the dealership could find was the gas gauge sensor which is not under warranty and cost $1800. One thing after another is going wrong with this vehicle and I will never buy another one or recommended one. This has been going on for over a year now. No one can find the "problem".

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 102009

Trailblazer

We own a 2005 trail Blazer.........we was driving threw our home town on day and this is a 20 mph zone. My husband looked down and we was going 120mph!!! we took it to our dealer they said it would be about $350. Wow!!! don't think that we should pay for this...and I do think this should be a recall...cause there is alot of complaint online about 2005 trail Blazer. All with this same problem. Then about a week our gas gauge also went out.....omg!!!

- Defiance, OH, USA

Jul 132009

Trailblazer

A/C resistor and wiring harness melted.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Jun 122009

Trailblazer

Speedometer stop working on 2005 Chevy Trailblazer, and also the gas gauge does not work.

- Four Oaksn, NC, USA

Dec 072007

Trailblazer

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer with a defective speedometer and gas gauge. It stopped working completely around 40,000 miles, shortly after the warranty ran out. I have read several hundred complaints from other Trailblazer owners with the same problems. Since I do not have the money to pay for the problem to be fixed, I am driving "blind" on a daily basis, hoping that I am not speeding nor traveling too slow, thus adding to the traffic problems on the AZ highways. I have heard of many recalls on other autos with the same problems, but for some reason the Trailblazer was not included in the recall. I pray the NHTSA finds a way to help us Trailblazer owners in getting this terrible problem fixed asap at Chevrolet's expense. Thank you for your time.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

May 132009

Trailblazer

I bought a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. It just hit 90,000 miles. The speedometer would not go back down after I slowed down. I was at a complete stand still and it said I was going 60mph.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Apr 222009

Trailblazer

Lights flicker at night. 3 or 4 times driving 40 miles. Says it is normal for vehicle.

- Sweet Home, OR, USA

Aug 182008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was not functioning correctly. The gauge would show that the fuel level was empty and caused the indicator to illuminate. The dealer stated that the failure was caused by a faulty fuel sensor, which would cost approximately $700 to repair. The vehicle has not been repaired. Most recently, the speedometer malfunctioned and would become stuck on 40 or 90 mph. Occasionally, the contact would have to use the rpms to measure her speed. She had not taken the vehicle to the dealer or notified the manufacturer. The current mileage was approximately 83,000 and failure mileage was approximately 79,000.

- Ridgeville, SC, USA

Nov 052008

Trailblazer

Speedometer stopped working, some times it does start working, but out of action most of the time.

- Eaton, OH, USA

Jul 202008

Trailblazer

On or about July 20th, 2008 the entire instrument cluster would not come on once turning the key to acc, or starting the truck. The check engine light flickers when starting and within 10 seconds turns off. At no point in time while driving at any speed or distance will the instrument gauges or lights come on. This problem needs to be fixed in order to have the vehicle pass inspection, as this is a faulty system due to the manufacturer and not operator error or abuse the financial burden should rest on the maker and not the end user.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 172008

Speedometer malfunction.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 232008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the speedometer displays inaccurate readings. He is in the process of taking the vehicle to the dealer to determine the cause of the failure. He called the manufacturer, but was referred back to the dealer. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 83,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA