Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 16 of 20)

Mar 102007

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the electrical system failed at least three times in the front passenger seat. Repairs were made under warranty; however, the last failure was the contact's liability. On a separate occasion, she heard a loud noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The manufacturer stated that there was a pinched wire issue with that particular year, make, and model vehicle that could affect other electrical components. The dealer made repairs, but the failure recurred within 48 hours. The dealer found wiring in a different area that failed and subsequently caused the failure of the front passenger seat. In addition, the exterior lights flickered intermittently, but the mechanic stated that the wiring would not cause that particular failure. The VIN was provided, but was not accepted by the system. The current and failure mileages were less than 43,000.

- Boring, OR, USA

Oct 012007

The fuel hand has quit working, it has not worked since October of 2007, and it is to expensive to fix it and I know of three other peoples who's vehicles are doing the same thing and they are the same year model as mine although some are gmcs Envoy and some are Chevy Trailblazers.

- Columbia, KY, USA

Feb 022009

While driving my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer the speedometer work for a while and then it says I am going 110 mph. I know I can't be going that fast when I am creeping down the road. I along with several other with the same vehicle have the same problem and it cost over $500 to fix this problem. We need this issue to be solved and think it is only fair that Chevy has a recall on this problem. This could be a potential hazard to myself and other due to the fact that you can't tell how fast you are going.

- Dunmore`, WV, USA

Feb 012009

Speedometer is very irregular, sometimes 40 -80 miles over the speed you are going, sometimes stuck at 0 and at other times works fine. Very dangerous because you don't' know how fast you are going.

- Hartford, SD, USA

Jan 172009

My speedometer would stick at a certain mph and show my speed as much faster than I was really going. Each time you would shut of the car, the speedometer would drop 5 mph less until it reached 0. then it would start all over again at 25 mph. This went on for about a week and finally my speedometer quit working all together.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Feb 242009

2005 TB has consistent electrical problems. Fuel sensor has failed and been replaced, numerous bulbs failed and replaced, now odometer/trip computer has failed. Lights consistently dim/brighten. Vehicle will idle low and stall on occasion.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Jan 192009

At 58348 miles, the speedometer malfunctioned, would not read zero miles at dead stop, while driving the speedometer would register inaccurately, very difficult to determine road speed, and drive safely. Dealer replaced instrument cluster at cost of $362.25. This is a safety item, as one cannot determine the proper speed while driving, it has occurred in many other Chevy Trailblazers also. It should be recalled.

- Winamac, IN, USA

Feb 212009

I have had several problems with the electrical system in my 05 Trailblazer. Now I'm pretty sure the alternator needs replaced. It has already been to the shop once for electrical related problems and the vehicle only had 77,000 mile on it.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Jun 232008

Just want to address the gas gauge and speedometer issues. I have a 05 Trailblazer and had both of these problems. Fortunately I work with a great dealership and I purchased the extended warranty because GM would do nothing and the fixes are very expensive. You can live with the gas gauge not reading correctly by tracking your mileage but the stupid bell goes off all the time telling you your near empty but you cannot drive safely if you do not know how fast you are going and you certainly cannot go with the flow as everyone seems to drive faster than allowed and I do not think the officer who pulls you over will care if your speedometer does not work. I also notice that my interior panel lights will flash off and back on again, makes me think I am seeing things. I think GM needs to find answers and fix these problems. I love my TB but it just seems like a lemon and I will look at something different when I purchase again.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Dec 282008

When driving sometimes lights will become dim. When adjusting seat to drivers side mirror also turns upward. If opening right side passenger door in back with radio on, radio gets terrible buzzing noise. I have to shut vehicle off and turn back on again. Also my cd players has quit working for no reason at all and gets very hot and also sometimes when you start vehicle the mileage gauge will not work. Have to shut vehicle off and restart sometimes. This is a 2005 Trailblazer.

- Addison, MI, USA

Feb 112009

1. check engine light stays on consistently no matter what repairs I have done. 2. speedometer fails to constantly. I recently got a speeding ticket for not staying within speed limit. 3. dealership has constantly said they have not heard of any complaints by any consumers. 4. onstar system has failed from a year after purchase. 5. occasionally stalls and smells of gasoline.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 122009

When driving at night and not on the throttle the headlights and instrument lights flash on and off in my 05 Trailblazer. It does it every night as I drive home and causes people around me to drive erratically. The truck also suddenly revs while coming to a stop. Twice it has caused me to tap the person in front of me while my headlights are flashing so it badly scares people around me. The dealership claims they can find no fault in the truck but the problems are becoming so bad that I am afraid to drive the truck and that is a very bad place to be stuck in. I have read that more then a few people have these issues and that there is no fix according to GM- so I felt that I had better report this here as well.

- Nottingham, PA, USA

Feb 042009

The speedometer sticks at various speeds. Sometimes it shows *below* zero when I'm moving. Last night, I was traveling at approx. 65-70mph, I assume, but the speedometer was stuck at 30. When decelerating, the speedometer will stick at certain speeds, and then jerk down suddenly. My Trailblazer only has about 53,000 miles on it. I have seen reports of this issue beginning at 30K, but most kick in at around 50K. I am calling the shop today. From what I've read, it's related to a faulty stepper motor. If I am able to update this report, I will. However, I think this is very unsafe and am not going to wait to report it until after the repair; I've seen at least 40 (I stopped counting) other complaints about a malfunctioning speedometer in 05 Trailblazers on (I also have issues with dimming lights and headlights flashing at night).

- Columbia, IL, USA

Jan 242009

The fuel gauge does not work properly. It may show empty, quarter, or half full even though it is full. I see a lot of people have this problem. There should be a recall!! it's no wonder they can't sell them!!

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Jan 032009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 35 mph, the contact noticed that she was not traveling as quickly as the other vehicles on the road. The speedometer read 120 mph. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the instrument panel failed. The dealer will replace the instrument panel. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 46,000.

- Mount Vernon , OH, USA

Aug 102005

My 2005 Trailblazers headlights flash when you let up off the gas pedal. Also, the amp gauge drops, the engine revs down and the inside fans and lights dim down. The flashing of the headlights is getting worse, and like others have reported, the traffic ahead thinks you are blinking them to either pull over, or speed up. I too notice it more in the colder months. I agree -this is definitely a safety hazard! something needs to be done about it. I have reported the problem, but they say nothing can be done. Purchased this SUV brand new, had problem from the beginning. Too many people with same problem. General Motors should be ashamed.

- Chincoteague, VA, USA

Dec 172008

2005 Chevy trail Blazer. I've heard several complaints on this speedometer subject, and from what I understand it can be a very expensive procedure, hopefully my complaint can push for a recall.

- Gore, OK, USA

Jan 052009

I was driving down the road driving about 40 mph, when I noticed that my speedometer was reading 80 mph and above. By the time I got home it was on 120 mph and now it wont go back down, it just stays on 80 mph until I drive it, then it jumps back up again.

- Springhill, LA, USA

Dec 312008

Speedometer is broke mostly on 0 miles per hour while driving. I may be over speed limit without knowing.

- Denver, CO, USA

Dec 112008

My headlights and dash lights flicker while driving. Also while driving my lights will dim and the blower for heat & A/C will slow and then pick up to normal speed again. It also revs by itself, even in park and will go forward slightly when it does surge. These problems only started after the alternator was replaced. I think it is a safety hazard to have lights flickering and engine surges.

- West Bend, WI, USA