CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 19 of 20)

Apr 272005

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Purchased 2005 Trailblazer 3/8/05 @ bacon Chevrolet in palestine, tx. Problems: While driving headlight & interior dashboard lights flicker & shut off, engine loses power & surges lunging forward, battery gauge drops & pegs out, check engine light comes on, ding alarm, radio, electric locks, etc, w/ no key in ignition go off & on, no power cant start vehicle. Svc mgr/tech comments: Cant duplicate complaint, no codes showing, GM bulletin stating "normal" & working as designed, can not replace or work on anymore due to tech/GM motors stating "normal", or until problem can be duplicated or until they have a way to fix. Repairs:(total of 9 times in shop) 2 headlamp switches, 1 battery, 3 times wiring harness gone through, numerous PCM updates/reprograms, fuel pressure check, ipc reprogram, data recorder installed, replaced BCM body control module, workorders have been altered & work stated done that has not been done. I have all my workorders. Conclusion: Took to BBB of tyler, tx.cs#chv0592738, had arbitration hearing. BBB's decision was that their opinion was that the lights going off while driving was not a safety issue. Thought the BBB was suppose to be a consumer advocate! I found this website while doing a college research paper. How many other consumers have same problem, but do not know about this website. Will anything be done before someone is killed or is that what it will take!

- Crofton, KY, USA

Nov 122007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While the vehicle is being driven or idling, the electrical system shuts down. The failure occurred at night when shutting off the headlights and the instrument panel; however, the engine does not shut off, only the electrical system. The failure has occurred on six occasions. Speed was not a factor. The dealer replaced one of the circuit panels, but the electrical system continues to fail. The contact stated that the dealer was giving them the run around after extending the electrical system warranty to 100,000 miles. She also stated that there has been electrical failure since the vehicle was purchased. The purchase date was unknown. The current mileage was 50,000 and failure mileage was 5,000. The consumer stated the problem still exists. Updated 12/04/07

- Imperial, MO, USA

Nov 102007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have a Chevy Trailblazer 2005 and the lights keep flickering at night time when you increase and decrease power, I have reported it but nothing.

- Avon, CO, USA

Sep 012007

Trailblazer 4WD

Lights flash dim then bright shortly after brake is pressed. The problem is intermittent.

- Ca, CA, USA

Oct 262007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Lights (internal and external) dim or flash when the gas is let off while driving. This is a very dangerous situation, people pull over, flash you back, and in one instance I police officer pulled me over. It seems to happen worse when the temperature is colder than 50 degrees. It's been to 2 different service departments and is still under warranty but they either negate the problem as normal or claim they can't replicate it. Some GM explanations refer to low speeds and brief drive times, I can say first hand it's happened every mile of a 300 mile trip, multiple times. I've read numerous identical complaints in your complaint database. Is it going to take a horrible accident to get you to make GM fix this problem?

- Ochelata, OK, USA

Oct 012007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer and while driving at certain times the headlights will flash (bright -> dim -> bright) in a fast fashion. I believe that this could potentially cause an accident were people think you are allowing them to pull out in front of them, ect. I have taken it to my dealer and they say there is no fix for the problem. From what other people are saying on forums Chevy says this is "normal". due to the potential for an accident I believe these vehicles should be recalled. Here is a site I found regarding the issue www.topix.net/forum/autos/Chevrolet-Trailblazer/tucllqk4uif5na0ut. I'm having the same issue described here and I belief it causes an unsafe condition while driving at night.

- Mercer, PA, USA

Jul 172007

Trailblazer

Basically my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer continues to go dead while driving or not. I have taken it to the dealership more than 5X and they still cant find anything wrong with it. Sometimes it stops in the middle of driving and at other times if I go nowhere it will not crank up. Since the purchase of my brand new vehicle the dealership has put in 2 new batteries which was not the problem as they stated. They have also kept my vehicle for at least a week to see what I was talking about which did occur. One day they were driving it the next day it wouldn't start. They jumped the vehicle and put it on the computer still got nothing. This is posing a problem for me since I have 3 young kids all under the age of 5 that I drive around daily. What might happen when the truck stop in the middle of traffic with my little ones!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 012007

Trailblazer 4WD

Severe fluctuations in electrical power, resulting in dimming of headlights.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Feb 282007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The headlights will dim when driving the vehicle. This can occur when idling but mostly happens when the vehicle is at highway speed. This has happened several times and two different dealers have checked the problem and performed all applicable tsbs and replaced the BCM with no difference in the problem. The lights will dim enough that when driving on dark country roads I am not able to identify the edges of the road. Tech support claims this is normal operation of the system.

- Rockville, IN, USA

Mar 262007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I am experiencing the same light dimming/voltage drop issue on my '05 Chevrolet Trailblazer that I saw reported by many others on the www. vehicle has been in to dealer twice for this issue, I am told that lights dimming during quick deceleration was normal, and caused by air pump. While GM may consider this normal, I objected to that characterization as itwas not acceptable to have headlights and entire electrical system dimming randomly while driving, especially at night. This presents a legitimate safety issue. How can we force GM to address this issue?

- Haddon Heights, NJ, USA

Aug 012006

Trailblazer

My headlights dim while driving, first noticed while driving about 25 mi. From home and they would go dim and the gage would dropbelow 14 and then they would brighten up and the gage went above 14, has done this on several occasions dealer took it home over night to see what was going on and of course it didn't do it, he showed me a print out that said not to replace the alternator that there was no problem with it, it continues to do this and it seems to me that there is a problem but until they see it I'm just stuck with it, any suggestions!.

- Circleville, OH, USA

Mar 092007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving at night (more noticeable), the head lights appear to dim then brighten (flashing the vehicle ahead). While this is occuring, the battery gauge bounce drastically from min to max then back to the middle. This has been occuring since the day I bought this vehicle June 05. Also while this occurs, the vehicle tends to lose RPM power so as you are driving there is a "jerk" in the forward motion.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 082007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

When I start up my Trailblazer and drive off the headlights and dash lights flash and flicker. I have taken to the dealership twice for repairs and they find nothing wrong, and gave me a bulletin from GM that stated this is a normal operating characteristic due to a secondary air pump diagnostic routine, and that there is nothing to fix. I think this is wrong. The lights flash so much people think I am flashing my lights at them. If I sit and idle for 30 seconds or so, sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't (this was GM's "fix"). if it's cold I have to idle it for several minutes, and even then it doesn't always stop it. I have had to pull off to the side of the highway, stop my engine, start it again, wait several minutes, then merge back into traffic and just pray the lights didn't start flickering again. This should be made a recall and they should be forced to fix this. I have contacted them repeatedly and got nowhere with them.

- York Haven, PA, USA

Nov 202006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Dimming lights on a 2005 Trailblazer and fluctuations in electrical accessories. Took to dealer twice, second time replaced alternator, they say GM states it's normal operation and the computer is drawing power and causing dimming. Other motorists think I am flashing lights at them, I am also concerned about fire.

- Stow, OH, USA

Oct 312006

Trailblazer

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer's headlights flickered on and off. * sometimes the flickering last for a few seconds other times it has lasted up to 10 min. The dealer was able to duplicate the problem but stated there was a tsb from Chevrolet which stated the flickering was normal. Therefore there were no repairs attempted. The brakes pulsated due to rust on the rotors.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Jan 312007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

We have a recurring problem with the headlights, dash lights dimming and brightening. It seems to be a common issue with most 2005 Trailblazers. This has been ongoing for several months.

- Camby, IN, USA

Dec 152006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My wife drives a 2005 Chevrolet trail Blazer. One day about 1-2 months ago she was coming home from work, about 20 miles, and the headlights and instrument lights started flashing on and off. This happened all the way home. I took it to smith Chevrolet in laurens, S.C. (29360) to have it repaired. I was told there was no fix and Chevrolet was aware of the problem and that this was also a problem on the Envoy. I was told it was because of the drain on the electrical system when a number of components were drawing current and the smog system or pump came on. I was given a flyer that stated what could cause the problem of which none could I attribute to my wife's driving style. I have been contacted by a person saying his name is jeremy at 866-790-5700 ext. 22087. Jeremy offered to give us a 12 month 12,000 or 18,000 mile extended warranty from the date of service at smith's. the car has about 29,000 miles on it so the warranty would be for about 5,000 miles. I do not want an extended warranty. I want the car fixed, replaced or refund. This is a very dangerous situation for my wife. She is out at night with our 9 year old son and she does not feel safe. I don't know date exactly. It is estimated. This has happened a second time but not taken in yet.

- Gray Court, SC, USA

Oct 292006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Purchased 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls Oct.28 06. Since then, to date, veh. Has been in shop (dealership 4X). 1. brake repair. All 4 calipers were replaced. This vehicle had only 22,000. Miles. In shop very 1st week of purchase. 2. been complaining of flickering lights. Was handed a GMC printout stating they did not know cause. So therefore the dealership, hood Chevrolet, covington la. Could not do anything about it. 3. complained of engine acceleration while applying brake, coming to a stop or a slow speed in a parking lot. Fear that I may crash into someone. Received printout from GM stating this was normal. But I see this is a hazard. 4. complained of seat belt "riding" on the neckline, restricting blood flow in left artery on neck. I see this a major problem. I commute 26 miles one way to work at a hospital. I thought I would be safer driving my Trailblazer, now I fear for my life. 5. complained of popping on front end. Service had to order sway links and replace. Did not solve problem, still have frontal popping while turning left or right, reverse and forward. It is progressively getting worse. Found out GM certified tech. Did not properly align calibers when installed. I have paid to much for this $23,000. Lemon. Action should be taken. Sarah dykes, bogalusa Louisiana.

- Bogalusa, LA, USA

Jan 032007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

On 2 different times I have taken my 05 Trailblazer to the dealer for work to done on what we thought was the alternator. The headlamps and inside lamps will dim and the battery charge gauge will drop below the 14 amps GM call normal. I have been told that this is a normal condition. I feel it is anything but normal and it is a safety issue. People think you are bright lighting them and it is just plain hard to see at times. It seem to happen more when it is cold and damp. This is not normal, and unless GM decides to fix this problem we will not buy another GM product!

- Bauxite, AR, USA

Sep 012006

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Headlights and dash lights dim for no apparent reason. Headlights flicker, usually only momentarily but on occasion has lasted for up to 10 minutes. I feel it is illegal and unsafe to drive. GM says it is "normal"

- Liverpool, NY, USA