Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 20)

Aug 012014

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle electronic system recall. The consumer stated he experienced an electrical malfunction, that caused the door locks and window controls to cease functioning. Sometimes the system was operational and he was able to use it, for a short time.

- O'fallon, IL, USA

Sep 112010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Myself and my daughter was visiting my parents in Virginia and I turned the steering wheel to the right to go around a curve and the steering wheel didn't turn. I looked ay my daughter and said "oh _ _ _ _" and she ask me what 's wrong? I said the steering didn't turn and it wasn't but seconds later, we slammed into the side of the mountain on the driver side and we rolled two or three times and ended up on the roof. I immediately went unconscious because of the impact. I had a big gash on my head and was bleeding profusely and I was having trouble breathing because both of my lungs were punctured. All the windows burst out so my daughter was able to crawl out the passenger window to ask someone for help but my seat belt would not unbuckle so there was an issue getting me out. I was very lucky that someone that stopped had a pocket knife and cut the seatbelt to get me out. I had a bad concussion and I kept going in and out. I had three broken ribs, three pelvic fractures, a bad contusion on my elbow and I still have a swollen knot about two and a half inches on my left leg. I also have issues with my back and I am in constant pain and on impact, my seat belt jerked and caught my breast and I now have five cyst with the largest one being one inch and they are very painful. I have to watch it very closely because of a cancer risk called inflammation cancer. I was hospitalized for three days and I have to continue receiving medical care because of these injuries. My daughter is young and now she has back problems and ptsd and she also continues to receive medical care. This has really impacted and changed my life and my daughters life and I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to investigate these issues. We are going to have life long injuries and issues because of this accident. Thank you very much.

- Grand Junctiom, CO, USA

Jul 212014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Possible fatal fire accident. The passenger outside running light 9006 socket found to have burned completly off of the light 9006. This is the 2nd time this vehicle socket has been found to be defective, on 03/15/2012 the driver side socket was burned and was replaced. No help from general moters. See vehicle safety complaints filed with General Motors and NHTSA number 10592126. A number of my vehicle defects could have lead to a fatal accident. Updated 4/24/2015

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

May 012009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My trail Blazer check engine light stays on we cannot reset it. The full gauge says it has more gas then what it does, I have to guess to avoid running our of gas. Speedometer stops working then it fixes its self. The radio and lights sometimes stay on, and kills my battery.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jun 112014

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the driver side turn signal, brake lights, headlights, air conditioning, and heater were all defective. An independent mechanic stated that the electrical system was defective. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 195,000.

- Morgan City, MS, USA

Jul 092012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brakes failed. The failure occurred intermittently for three years. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. The window regulator, battery cable, tank level sensor, clutch fan, serpentine belt, tight outer tie rod, hood latch, water pump, were all replaced. Also, the rotors were warped, due to rust by climate, the rear brakes pads were worn and had to be replaced. The front rotors were machined. There was an intermittent surge after accelerating from a stop. There was a squealing noise coming from the brakes. The passenger side brake lights were blowing out. The tail light circuit board was replaced. The check engine light illuminated, due to a faulty emission vent valve and hose assembly. The ABS was engaging, when coming to a stop. Updated 10/01/14

- Buffalo, NY, USA

May 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The vehicle presented with error on reading the speed one is traveling at. Fuel gauge not working properly and not reading gas correctly.

- Elgin , IL, USA

Jul 032014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The wiring connecting the blower motor to the resistor under the glove box has melted the connection between the two resulting in smoke and toxic fumes from burning wires while vehicle was in operation with A/C operating on high. Shutting the vehicle off stopped any further damage, I have googled this issue and appears as though its a known problem without GM acknowledging the issue and doing any thing to remedy the issue, according to complaints filed with

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 102014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My car was starting fine before this. I left work went out to my car tried to start it and it would not do anything other than electrical noises even after I took key out. Got a jump (it was quick) the gauge was moving slightly. Got to where I needed to be and turned the car off and immediately it would not start. Jumped it again got home and the key got stuck in ignition and the lights flashed inside and out of the vehicle all night!

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jul 232012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Leaving parking lot (& wanting to turn onto road) I applied my 2005 Trailblazer ext brakes. My foot & pedal went to floor with no brake at all. Thankfully no cars & going slow enough or I would have hit them. Instead of stopping at end of parking lot, I found myself entering road & seeing trees on other side of road coming up quickly. I grabbed the emergency brake lever. Scared me to death!!! vehicle then taken to repair shop. Shop owner report = hole rubbed in brake line close to driver firewall separating engine from seat area. He further said "been in business for 30+ years and had never seen this before. Seems like a huge design flaw." Rubbing on another line & pinhole there now - which would explain why my A/C was not working on driver side, but working on the pass side. How many other people had an accident" have another (")... if GM has known about a problem for yrs on several models: Very well documented on internet by hundreds (if not thousands of owners) - why won't NHTSA make GM do something" problem = speed gauge, oil pressure gauge, & radio all of a sudden stop working one day. Then some days they all work, some days only 1 work, some days 2 work??? an equipment malfunction or computer glitch? happened about 75K miles on both my auto & my dad's 2005 Chevy pickup. I live in SE, he lives in ne. Two areas of us; yet each dealership wanted about $600 to fix it. Called GM: No help available!! searched internet for repair fix, & noticed tons of unhappy owners w/ same problem: GM would not help them pay for this problem - even though it's their equipment problem. Clearly it is a safety issue: No one can tell how fast actually going & led to many accidents & speeding tickets I'm sure! time NHTSA steps in don't you think" then have the brake/ac line rubbing issue - clearly a safety issue & I hope you do something! I still have the brake line.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Nov 052013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Odometer now reads zero, do not know speed. Gas gauge reads zero. If rear defrost is on and A/C unit is on the fuse for the system will blow. Radio system is not functioning properly.

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 282014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Driver's side passenger door left rear door latch on 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls is stuck. The door will not shut! I have read another complaint for the very same reason and a very similar situation to the ext and there is a recall on the ext but doesn't pertain to the ls. I can't shut my door because the latch won't connect.I opened the door and could not shut it after that because it wouldn't latch. We have looked everywhere and have not been able to locate the part at a reasonable price. I was in the process of selling it, but because of this faulty defect we cannot sell it. We have not been able to get it fixed. No one seems to have the part and we contacted dealerships and they looked up recalls but couldn't help us cause our VIN number isn't covered. What do we do now??

- Twin Mountain, NH, USA

Jan 132014

Cluster gauges are going out. The speedometer quick working a few years ago and is intermittent at best on a daily basis. It either indicates a lesser or greater speed than actual or just falls to point straight down. I have been using a mounted gps to indicate speed. Initial repair cost estimates were $500+ for the parts since they will only replace the entire gauge cluster. With labor, the estimate was in excess of $800. Fuel gauge is now inoperative or intermittent. When I fill the tank, the fuel gauge reads way past the full line. Having to rely of the fuel to empty and the fuel used computer information along with the trip meter to estimate fuel. Received another estimate for a mechanic to pull the gauge cluster and rebuild each individual gauge motor for an estimate of $500. Based upon the number similar complaints on this same thing, this appears to be a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected by GM.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Feb 272014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the low beams failed to illuminate. The contact mentioned that the high beams were able to function. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 122,000. Updated 8/11/14 the consumer stated the headlights went out, for no reason. Updated 08/26/14

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 092013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that all the functions of the driver door had failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the door module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 115,000.

- Opp, AL, USA

Nov 052012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Sir/ MA'am, I noticed recently in the news that several GM product lines have been plagued by faulty ignition switches causing the vehicle to lose power and/or cut out. I implore you to look into the Trailblazers. I emailed GM while I was deployed (2012) and they gave me the runaround saying that it is not a documented problem, as expected. A simple internet search would show that a lot of other Trailblazer owners have bad ignition switches/ electrical issues that cause the vehicle to lose power at all speeds. My wife lost power going about 35 mph and I had my two children along with her. This is just one example, on one occasion. Granted, I do acknowledge this problem is intermittent, it still occurs at random and at all speeds. GM tells me to go to a dealer and have them look at it. I refuse to pay GM any money to have a dealership rip me off for an ignition switch that is flawed and replace it with the same faulty oem style/model number. I have ran a scan tool looking for codes and it doesn't have any. Like stated previously, this is another line of GM that is plagued with ignition and electrical issues that GM refuses to take ownership of. The mileage I have entered is approximate. I cannot remember exact numbers, but it has happened for years, intermittently. When the vehicle has coasted to it's final destination after losing power, it starts up and drives normal again after it is put back into park. Also keep in mind that it doesn't show any check engine lights, indicating a problem or need of servicing. Again, please look into this product line as I know the result(s) will show that GM is liable and I don't want any fatalities because nobody spoke up about it.

- Yelm, WA, USA

Jan 152014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speedometer randomly parks on 0 mph no matter what the speed is. The fuel gauge randomly indicates "E" or other inaccurate fuel readings regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. The car randomly stalls when stopped at traffic lights.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 122014

The contact owns 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that a burning smell was emitted from the control module on the driver's door. The contact mentioned that after inspecting the door she noticed that the wires were melted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 175,000 and the current mileage was 180,000. The VIN was not available.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Mar 012013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

First my gas gauge started to malfunction. After purchasing gas my gauge would work sometime. Now it doesn't work at all. Then my oil pressure gauge went. Now my speedometer works most times but after driving a distance it does not register correctly. After shutting off and starting the car a few times it starts to work again. I've been told it is a common problem with Chevy. My brother had the same problem in his Chevy truck.

- Livingston, NJ, USA

Sep 202012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The heater levels started to go out. First 5, then 1 until it no longer worked at all. I got it repaired but the 5th level does not work any more. The left half of the radio/cd player no longer lights up. My gas gauge would only register a quarter tank and then would eventually dropped to empty. It no longer works at all. Most recently my speedometer will occasionally quit working or register the wrong speed. I have to shut the car off and restart until it works again. Also, my tachometer goes way up when I begin driving and the car seems to rev way up before it changes gears and jerks into gear. I questioned a mechanic about this, thinking it was the transmission, which it isn't. there doesn't seem to be enough power. I have constantly had issues with this Trailblazer every since I purchased it. I also owned a Blazer at one time and also had a lot of trouble with it. I should have known better to purchase another Chevy, but never again!

- Redby, MN, USA