CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 5 of 20)

Apr 112012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fuel gauge stopped working then all the other gauges of the instrument panel began intermittently then permanently stopped working. Aside from the battery gauge, the least important of them all.

- Parma , OH, USA

Feb 092009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

First, fuel gauge, then the entire instrument panel stopped working.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 272013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The window and lock controls on the driver door handle just stopped working leaving my window open. It is not a fuse. I began looking for other issues online and have come across this issue on earlier model Trailblazers. I am in a cold climate as the other recall is applicable to.

- Alden, NY, USA

Jul 132012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving during summer time and my fuel gage went from full to empty for no reason. I had just filled up, so I knew there was gas in the tank. It has since given me random readings. If I let the gas level fall below 3/4 of a tank. It will go to empty even if I filled the tank. It does work randomly sometimes.

- Ashland, MA, USA

Aug 182011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the speedometer failed. The contact stated that when she came to a complete stop, the speedometer was still on 55 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Racine, WI, USA

Sep 042012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Cluster went out and we had to have it replaced.

- Mount Vernon, MO, USA

Jul 112013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Driver side master power window switch does not work the driver side window at all! out of the blue this stopped working. Further research shows that the 2006-2007 models were recalled not the 2005! really, this car is "currently registered in a cold weather state which uses salt to clear the roads" (direct quote from General Motors and Isuzu recall 258,000 SUVS, the associated press, August 19, 2012) since 12/2005 which is when the vehicle was purchased. Just because my vehicle did not have a fire "yet" but I have the "exact" problem which arose before these vehicles did catch fire, mine is not recalled? not only was the transmission recalled in 2008, I had a problem with the "blower motor" not working when you turn on the heat. You could only turn on the heat to no. 4. the truck was taken for service on 1/10/06, 1/30/06, 2/7/06 and 2/17/06 which was not even 2 mo. After purchasing said vehicle before the problem was corrected. In 11/06 the "fuel pump module" was replaced and covered "only" because I had the extended warranty and I had to pay the $100 deductible, because I had gas but it was not registering. Again, I continue to have this problem. When calling GM on 7/24/13 about the window switch recall, I now find out that there is a "special coverage" for the "fuel level sensor". this is covered until 7/24/14, per GM (866-694-6546), unless you have more than 120,000 something miles. Was not sure of the mileage exactly since mine is below that figure. The window switch is a serious malfunction that needs to be covered in "all years" of this vehicle. While sitting at a red light with your foot on the brake, the vehicle will just rev up and want to take off. I guess this isn't a "big deal" either. You can't even listen to the radio to distract you with all these problems going on because the radio only comes out of "one" speaker! go figure, it is GM!

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 052012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact stated that the gauges on the instrument panel failed. The contact also stated that the head lights sporadically failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Greenwood, SC, USA

Sep 152012

Trailblazer

My vehicle shows gauge light as empty even after filling up. My vehicle stopped in middle off road on early morning traffic. Now we have to estimate mileage to make sure we are not left without gas, very frustrating and unsafe but can't afford to fix.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Mar 152012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the odometer and fuel level gauge failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the clusters needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Bangorville , MI, USA

Jan 182013

Trailblazer

Ran out of fuel once on highway, when gauge showed tank was full. In Jan/Feb the gas gauge just stopped working even when completely full of fuel it will show only 1/4 of a tank or none at all. The radio works only intermittently will work then stop working unexpectedly. Headlights are always burning their connection, short circuiting my headlights pretty frequently.

- Somerville, MA, USA

Jun 102013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel sensor seems to be failing as is with many other problems with the electrical system on this car including a broken speedometer at 60,000 miles. This car seems to have far too many sensor or electrical issues and given the safety implications of speedometers that suddenly fail and fuel sensors that fail, it would seem prudent for someone to realize that these issues pose a severe safety hazard to all. After research on the internet, speedometers and fuel sensors seem to be a common issue with Trailblazers. Please research the electrical system and sensors more closely.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 202012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that whenever it rained the windows and door locks stopped working. The contact also stated that the water entered the door and caused a short circuit. The contact also mentioned that once it dried out the windows and door locks began to function normally. The vehicle was not inspected. The failure mileage was 89,000. The current mileage was 107,000.

- Howell, MI, USA

Apr 042011

Trailblazer

While driving it appears that my headlights are receiving a surge of power which causes them to blink as if I am flashing my headlights. This has happened on and off for a couple of years now. Since this has started I have had to replace my headlights about every 6 to 8 months. After the third time I replaced the same headlight my mechanic showed me the fuse and stated that it seems there is a surge of power that causes the fuses to blow. I explained to him that my headlights seem to blink on their own every now and then and we did some research online and noticed that this seems to be a common problem in mid 2000 model Trailblazers. I contacted GM to make them aware with nothing more than a, "sorry for your inconvenience". I have also experienced issues with my door electronics. You can hear the power windows and door locks make a clicking sound as if they are being engaged without being operated. The speakers in the doors do not work after it rains or in very humid conditions. The power windows and door lock button lights work on and off and blink. The door/key chime rarely works. It seems to me that there is a serious issue regarding the electrical system of this model. I recently heard about the recall starting with 2006 models with electrical issues and I really believe this problem is not just isolated to the electronics in the door, but the overall electrical system in these vehicles. Considering the amount of complaints I have researched online it seems that these are common problems with these vehicles. Please for the safety of the consumers consider an investigation and recall into the full electrical system of this vehicle as it could be a serious safety hazard risking fire.

- Pleasant Garden, NC, USA

Nov 032012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My speedometer tells the speed plus or minus 40mph. My oil pressure gauge is stuck at around 210psi. Today, I noticed that my fuel tank now reads 150% full, and the voltage is down to 9V. This is all due to a defective instrument cluster that GM had a class action suit filed on several other makes of vehicles, but denied the Trailblazer, due to lack of complaints. Consider this a complaint. Undoubtedly, GM is hoping the mileage runs over 70,000 so I will have to pay at least part of their defective workmanship. Consider how many Trailblazers are zipping down the road, unaware of this defect... perhaps going only 10-20 mph over the limit. Lack of complaints to the NHTSA is a poor excuse to not recall, fix and/or verify the vehicle in question is not an issue. I am currently using a gps smartphone as a speedometer, but as you can imagine, it is less accurate than ideal. A young friend housesitting my dog drove my car once, on a bad snow day, and got a speeding ticket, as he was unaware that the problem existed. I suggest GM be made to fix it.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Feb 102012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel gauge reads empty after filling tank, won't reset itself after fueling. Back hatch lock is stuck in lock and has already been replaced once. Sometime when your setting still at a red light or just going slow in traffic, there seems to be a "surge" of power or fuel to where the vehicle lurches forward. When driving at night the lights will flicker or dim on there own.

- Oran, MO, USA

Nov 062012

Trailblazer

Even if this car is well maintained it sadly as serious electrical issues that Chevy does not want to come to terms with. The speedometer goes out and in and reads incorrectly as well as the rest of the gauges at random points in time. The heating system needs replaces and the alternator consistently needs to be replaced even when the maintenance of the car is maintained. It is a consistent struggle to keep the car running even if it is not on high miles and it is a sad product for Chevy.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

May 012013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle fuel gauge sensor issues. The consumer state the first time the fuel gauge starting acting erratic was in 2007. The dealer informed his wife, the vehicle had ran out of gas, even though the gauge indicated there was 1/2 tank of gas. The consumer stated he continues to experience an erratic behavior of the fuel pump and the low fuel indicator light illuminated. The latest preliminary diagnosis was the vehicle was unable to sustain an idle, because of the erratic fuel pressure (fuel pump). The consumer also stated the vehicle has electrical problems and the oil pressure gauge was inoperative.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Apr 022013

Trailblazer

The fuel gauge in my vehicle stopped working. I did some research and this seems like a common problem to Trailblazers that GM is ignoring. Running out of fuel can be very dangerous especially on busy highways. So I think this should be a safety issue that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 072009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Purchased 11/24/2008 ~20K miles. Within 5months a whole host of issues started, the 1st being the fuel gauge not working by showing full & actually not (ran out of gas twice) and then showing empty after fillup. 1week later the engine light came on & the instrument panel stopped working. ~ one year later, Dec 2009 the speedometer fluctuated from working properly to ~50-55mph base instead of 0. after a few days, the speedometer did zero-out but then did not show any speed but stayed at 0. along with the speedometer issue are the headlights dimming sporadically. All of the issues have continued on-off since. March 2012 the windshield reservoir started leaking/cracked. February 2013 had tuneup, brakes, and thermostat replaced and since then add front vents stopped working plus severe, sporadic, high idle - driving to work (metropolitan, downtown, capital of state-high rush hour) the high rev started and all I wanted was to get to workplace parking lot ~2miles. 2blcks fr pkg lot, I was braking at a left, dblturn light with the rev & brakes grabbingh/counteracting. I come to a full stop but my SUV revs to over 3rpms & I thought the trblzr would break free & crash into the cars in front of me! I have a "christine" car and hate the feeling of driving an unsafe vehicle that Chevy won't recall/fix and I can't afford to buy anything else currently or get all these issues repaired. I place mine, my kids and passengers' lives & safety into jeopardy every time we get in to drive/ride. I only have 78K miles and 1yr of car pymnts left. I will never buy another Chevy again and I was a diehard Chevy and "buy american" consumer. This vehicle is a piece of junk. My next purchase will be any vehicle that is safe, whoever the manufacturer may be. Can anything be done to help"?"

- Aurora, CO, USA