CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 302010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Speedometer on 2005 Trailblazer is misleading. You can be doing 70mph and it will only register 50 mph. Sometimes you can be doing 20 mph and it will register 120 mph. This just started happening and the vehicle only has 56,361 miles on it.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jan 162011

Trailblazer

Driving home from out of state and filled up the tank and the gas guage still read empty and was all over the place. It is not accurate and jumps around. During the drive I was on a road going 50mph and slowed down in a town to 30mph and the speedometer got stuck at 35mph and would not go up or down. I had a 3 hour commute and did not know how fast I was going to 80% of it. Upon researching these issues, it appears to be a frequent issue in this vehicle and is rather expensive to fix, just to have it happen again a year later. This vehicle was previously owned by a family member and was well taken care of.

- Washingrton, DC, USA

Jan 242010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls (na). The contact stated the cruise control as well as the fuel gauge no longer functioned. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told they do not know how to remedy the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 115,000.

- Big Stone Gap, VA, USA

Jan 162011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My wife was driving our vehicle with our two children in the car. She was traveling at highway speed with the cruise control set when the speedometer of our vehicle faulted. It started showing she was going 110 then 20mph then 50mph and so on and so on. She pulled over, phoned me and we called our insurance company to see if towing could be provided. It would have taken over 2hrs for towing assistance so she traveled the rest of the trip (approx 105miles) following another vehicle in hopes that they were traveling at a safe speed. The following day I research this issue, brougth my vehicle to a dealership and they explained it was a known issue with a 05 Trailblazer and the GM had a class action law suit for replacement of this part they state the instrument panel needed to be replaced. However, we later found out that our vehicle was not part of this litigation and we were stuck paying the bill. Not only does GM know this is a safety issue, they are unwilling to compensate or take corrective action for their customers. Needless to say I am very upset and frustrated for the safety of my family and the fact the GM has not offered any remorse.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Jan 052011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The speedometer no longer works on my 2005 Trailblazer. It has 61K miles on it. Chevrolet has recalled the Avalanche, Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban, but for some reason not the Trailblazer. The dealer charges $600 to fix it. This is a safety problem.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 022010

Trailblazer

Speedometer will sit at 0 miles per hour or will be 30 miles per hour lower. Speedometer will sit below 0 when idle. When I restart it, it may be fine or go back to below 0 to very low miles. I happens more when warmer and running a while. I see that is a problem for many Chevrolet Trailblazers.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Feb 102010

Trailblazer

No crash or injury, but am really afraid of something happening with my son in the SUV. My head lights flicker when I slow down and worried that one day they are going to shut off and not come back on. My gas gauge was the next thing that stopped working and now my speedometer is not working now. Just like others I thought that I was getting a quality vehicle, at least Toyota corrects their mistakes!!

- Madison , WI, USA

Jun 072010

Trailblazer

Roughly about 6/7/10 my fuel gage quit working and now on 11/2/10 my speedometer gauge started acting up and is not working. This has something to do with the instrument cluster panel being bad.

- Ashley, OH, USA

May 202009

Trailblazer

The speedometer has stopped working. The gas gauge does not work. Also the fuses for the power plug ins continue to blow. These are safety hazards for my wife and kids while traveling alone.

- Puryear, TN, USA

May 082010

Trailblazer

The contact owned a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While sitting at a traffic stop with her foot depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The vehicle proceeded to crash into the vehicle ahead of her causing limited damage. The vehicle was not taken in for diagnostic testing. The contact stated the failure occurred once previously without incident. The failure and current mileages were 113,896.

- Dover, PA, USA

Feb 082010

Trailblazer

Cruise control on 2005 Trailblazer when the resume is pushed it will go wide open until it gets back to speed, which could cause a crash if it was unexpected.

- Brush Creek, TN, USA

Mar 292010

Trailblazer

Speedometer not working. 3/29/10: Indicated 0mph while car was moving. 3/30/10: Indicated 30mph while car was stationary, and an estimated 30mph over actual speed. 4/2/10: Dealership found that speed gage cluster assembly needs to be replaced. Ordered replacement. Estimated cost (parts+labor) = $550.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Mar 302010

Trailblazer

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls. Instrument cluster failure. My speedometer is not working. My cruise control was intermittent for a while, but now no longer functions (fuse is fine).

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Dec 172009

Trailblazer

I have owned my 2005 Trailblazer for a little over a year and the last 4 months I have been having problems with my speedometer. Sometimes it works others it will show you are doing 4 X the speed limit. This is a real problem and needs to be fixed by GM.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 202010

Trailblazer

I have a 2005 Chevrolet trail Blazer that the tachometer and speedometer fail to work. Doing research on the web this seems to be a common problem. Why is there not a recall for this safety hazard?

- Brandon, FL, USA

Oct 132009

Trailblazer

I have a 2005 chevorlet Trailblazer. I have had both speedometer and gas gauge quit working on me. Have been told it will be around $500 each to be fixed! I feel that this is a safety hazard and should be a recall by GM. 2005 models have the worse overall rating with these 2 malfunctions be the top 2 complaints!

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Dec 062009

Trailblazer

My 2005 Trailblazer instrument panel constantly fails - the speedometer stops working which is a safety issue. The gas gauge has been fixed once already and is now broken again. The vehicle has power surges which is another safety issue. The transmission shifts the car up and down when trying to slow down causing power surges. This is another safety issue. The following are other issues which this model vehicle: Stereo cd player stopped working, the check engine light comes on when the gas cap light, the lights flicker also. I ought this vehicle used and with a cracked front bumper which the dealer didn't fix (dealer stuck a little bondo on area and repainted it so I thought it was a new bumper when I accepted the car after repair. It cracked in a matter of days) and I know this was caused due to the surges in power. A severe safety issue. The vehicle has serious electrical problems the Chevrolet should stand behind and fix. It is not fair to the consumer. I have checked the web and have read many, many other similar complaints. Chevy owners should fill a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet if they don't do a recall and fix these problems. I experience a fender bender accident when my vehicle didn't stop and bumped another cars back bumper causing an accident and an insurance claim. I am fed up with this vehicle but can't afford to replace it. Linda vanauken

- Altamont, NY, USA

Aug 012008

Trailblazer

Gas gauge quit working, cost to fix at dealership est. $1800, exterior lights flicker from high to low beam while driving, dealership cant find problem, car seems to "jump" or leap forward while coasting or when apply brake, dealership cant find the problems or cause, car stalls and RPM drop if gas pedal not pushed, windshield wipers started automatically and wont turn off. Had to take fuse out, therefore no wipers. All these items are a safety hazard to the family driving. The only problem the dealership could find was the gas gauge sensor which is not under warranty and cost $1800. One thing after another is going wrong with this vehicle and I will never buy another one or recommended one. This has been going on for over a year now. No one can find the "problem".

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 202009

Trailblazer

2005 Trailblazer: 1) speedometer would read wrong speed while driving, needle would max or zero out while driving, and now is completely not working; can not determine correct speed which could lead to ticket or accident. 2) wipers stay on with switch in the off position, must pull fuse to stop them; wipers are distraction going across dry window or must stop to put fuse in if weather requires. Currently vehicle is in shop for repair. First replacement part for wipers did not solve problem. Through viewing other internet comments this is not an isolated problem. It needs to be addressed before an unexpected driver is involved in an accident do to these issues.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Nov 082008

Trailblazer

On two separate days, within a two week period, my speedometer stopped working correctly. The first time in went to zero mph and stayed there. A couple of days later it worked again. The second time, on the highway, it read incorrectly - said I was at 55 but was actually going 85 (spouse was following behind me in another car).

- Arlington, VA, USA