Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 012011

As of 2011 (while driving on freeways in multiple occasions) I've been having electrical issues such as my fuel level gage would read full and vehicle would shut off cause no gas in tank, air bags sensor would show it on when no one is sitting in the passenger seat, and there are some electrical issues on driver seat controls not working, dash board gages not showing readings while vehicle is in motion (rmp, speedometer, oil, gas).

- Fontana, CA, USA

Nov 262015

The speedometer doesnt work.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Dec 152015

The speedometer has become unreliable; it sticks / jerks while driving after which it does not display an accurate speed. Iżve had my speedometer read 30mph while completely stopped. It has a greater tendency to stick around 50-60mph. Repeatedly starting the engine, causing the speedometer to go through its reset cycle will move the needle back to 0mph in approximately 5mph increments for every start. This only provides a bit of reliability for short trips.

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Feb 152016

Car will not accelerate. Revs up really high without acceleration.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 012013

First my rear wiper and rear washer stopped working but when you turn the button it sounds like it wants to go. Second my speedometer is all over the board. Sometimes it runs low, sometimes it's higher and at times it just won't move. It has also been off the board pointer down at the prnd321. Third my oil gauge stopped working.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Apr 062015

The speedometer gets stuck on a speed and the only way to get it back down to 0 is by turning the engine on and off several times. This has happened to me several times in the last few months. From my research on this it appears this is happening to many many people but nothing gets done about it. It seems to me like it should be a recall to get it fixed.

- New Kensington, PA, USA

May 112015

The airbags will show that they're not enabled even with a passenger sitting in the seat.then it would come on as being on but no passenger in seat. A lot of sensors have popped up in the electrical panel, on top of that the car kinda shut down on me and started going 10 miles per hour, as I was going out in traffic.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Mar 012015

Dash controls and readings all go out. Speedometer does not show speed. Oil pressure gauge does not read correctly.

- Streator, IL, USA

Jul 112013

The engine light constantly comes on even after I had a tune up. I had diagnostics done and there is some type of fuel misfire. Two winters straight I have had issues with the power steering lines bursting and replaced 3 times. The speedometer malfunctions, most of the time it just stays at zero. If GM uses a lot of the same parts to make multiple models why has the 2005 Trailblazer not been recalled? I was told the GM Envoy has the same engine and other inner workings as my Trailblazer so why wouldn't their recalls apply to my vehicle especially if I may be having the same issues.

- Edgewood, MD, USA

Mar 042015

The speedometer in my car started not working a week ago.. it would say I was going 70 and in reality I was only going 55. Now it starts out at 110mph when I start driving....making it really difficult to know how fast/slow I am going. I have read many articles of this happening with this make and model of vehicle.

- Fennimore, WI, USA

Dec 162014

Speedometer stopped working a few times until it completely has gone dead and doesn't work at all. My Trailblazer also has stalled if stopped at a red light more than once.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mar 292013

When the steering is turned too far the car automatically and very suddenly shuts off, no matter where we are. Seatbelts in the last row of the vehicle don't lock so, our car seats just slide due to never ending seat belt. Engine and oil light come on when car is started and will stay on for days as result of gas cap being not screwed on properly. Delayed turning reaction with steering wheel, horn got stuck and would not stop sounding so it had to be disabled.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Sep 012008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased my SUV in August of 2008 about a month later after pumping gas I noticed the fuel gauge spinning uncontrollably. Due to the warranty I purchase carmax fixed the problem at that time not it is 5 years later and exact same things has happened as well as all the other gauges spinning. Shortly, after the fuel gauge went out I notice the speedometer and the accelerator gauges doing the same thing. I have had my SUV for 5 years and has constantly complained about the gauges spinning back and forth.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Sep 152014

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was released but the speed failed to decrease. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000. Djr

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 012009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My trail Blazer check engine light stays on we cannot reset it. The full gauge says it has more gas then what it does, I have to guess to avoid running our of gas. Speedometer stops working then it fixes its self. The radio and lights sometimes stay on, and kills my battery.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jul 092012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brakes failed. The failure occurred intermittently for three years. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. The window regulator, battery cable, tank level sensor, clutch fan, serpentine belt, tight outer tie rod, hood latch, water pump, were all replaced. Also, the rotors were warped, due to rust by climate, the rear brakes pads were worn and had to be replaced. The front rotors were machined. There was an intermittent surge after accelerating from a stop. There was a squealing noise coming from the brakes. The passenger side brake lights were blowing out. The tail light circuit board was replaced. The check engine light illuminated, due to a faulty emission vent valve and hose assembly. The ABS was engaging, when coming to a stop. Updated 10/01/14

- Buffalo, NY, USA

May 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The vehicle presented with error on reading the speed one is traveling at. Fuel gauge not working properly and not reading gas correctly.

- Elgin , IL, USA

Jan 132014

Cluster gauges are going out. The speedometer quick working a few years ago and is intermittent at best on a daily basis. It either indicates a lesser or greater speed than actual or just falls to point straight down. I have been using a mounted gps to indicate speed. Initial repair cost estimates were $500+ for the parts since they will only replace the entire gauge cluster. With labor, the estimate was in excess of $800. Fuel gauge is now inoperative or intermittent. When I fill the tank, the fuel gauge reads way past the full line. Having to rely of the fuel to empty and the fuel used computer information along with the trip meter to estimate fuel. Received another estimate for a mechanic to pull the gauge cluster and rebuild each individual gauge motor for an estimate of $500. Based upon the number similar complaints on this same thing, this appears to be a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected by GM.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Mar 072014

We were driving at about 55 (we don't know exact speed as our control panel is not working) and the steering went out. It was hard pulling to the right and a few times we could not control it and went off the road. We had another incident like that when we were driving in the snow. When we purchased the car we had a fuel issue that covered under a recall.... now our whole panel is out. We don't know the speed we are going, the oil light and engine light are always on. We take care of our car so we know its not low on anything.

- Mccordsville, IN, USA

Mar 232011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Problems with my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer started with a series of engine lights, misfiring and stalling at low speeds and upon acceleration. My thermostat has been replaced numerous amount of times. I do preventative maintenance to keep my car in good working condition. I'm a single parent I need my car. My entire dashboard stopped working after getting stuck on and off. The fuel gauge was last to go 3 days ago. I fill up my tank it still reads empty with the light. My tailgate door the latch locks up. I manually have to move to latch so it closes. My doors sticking when the car is unlocked and it hard to get out the locks don't unlatch the first time. My car is very nice until U get in it to see everything is malfunctioning. I guess my speed, gas level and that's not cool. I been going through these same problems since 2011 and it's 2014. The fuel gauge was the last to go recently. When I fill up my tank it still reads empty with the indicator light. My repair was $565 we thought it was exhaust leak and had to replace the entire manifold it was cracked... I absolutely can't afford anything else and I need tires.please help I'm furious.. when you purchase a vehicle you expect it to last. That doesn't. my mechanics have been the same since day one and have given me every discount and warranty. I want my vehicle repaired I can't physically cause this type of damage. It's internal and not my fault. I have never had a car with this temperament. I have had 4 cars previous to this one and they lasted through the years until I decided to change cars. Everyone has the same problems with their vehicle as I do. How is that possible? manufacturers should value quality not quantity. I have every single document to verify this as well as my mechanics. I would like my vehicle repaired and to be reimbursed.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA