Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jul 052012

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the low fuel sensor and the fuel gauge failed.the contact stated that the low fuel sensor illuminated on the instrument panel while the vehicle had a full tank of gas and the fuel gauge was showing the incorrect fuel level. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or mechanic for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 45,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jan 112012

When my gas gauge stopped working, it showed I had fuel in my tank, turns out I did not. I ran out of gas while on an interstate in the dead of winter, at night, on icy roads, traveling at approx 35 miles an hour. As all of you know, when you run out of fuel, the power steering & braking shut down and the vehicle can be very difficult to maneuver as well as very dangerous... especially on icy roads in Maine in January. I am a young lady and happened to be all alone when this occurred and not to mention I was about 15 miles away from the nearest gas station.. so needless to say I was not happy. I wasn't about to hike the interstate, by myself in freezing cold weather at night.. I do not have a death wish. Although I had to sit in my vehicle, where I had no heat, due to no fuel, and wait for over an hour for my dad to come rescue me. This is not right, and it is not the consumers fault, this needs to be addressed by GM, because as you've heard by me, and many others, it's a huge safety issue, and they need to fix this problem. Some of these complaints go back into 2007, it's now 2012.. what are you waiting for"? fatal accidents because of your stupidity" make it right GM. You have not heard the last of this...

- Orrington, ME, USA

Jul 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fuel sensor level is out. It is going to be quite expensive to fix....after searching the internet it appears several people are having the same issue. Why is there not a recall"?"

- Mount Vernon, MO, USA

Sep 132010

The fuel pump assembly went out. Car completely died. It's an $1,100 fix and I've been hearing that this is a known problem with the Trailblazer. No noted recall yet. Wanted to report the problem.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

Feb 012012

I went to gas station and filled up my gas tank. When I left the gas station, my fuel light was on showing my gas tank was empty. Over the next several months, the gas gage would go up and down and not show the correct amount of gas. Now, it always shows empty with the gas light on. This is an issue not knowing how much gas I have at any time.

- Blacklick, OH, USA

Sep 212012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel sensor does not work ! after filling gas tank completely, fuel gauge still reads empty. Gauge can sometimes read up to half, then drops to a quarter, then just drops to empty whenever it pleases. Also, sometimes the speedometer acts very "twitchy". I have read multiple complaints online about these same exact issues and feel that a full recall is absolutely necessary.

- Moravia, NY, USA

Aug 222012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Gas gauge was reading inaccurately resulting in car stall. Also, speedometer is not functioning correctly - will start out anywhere from 5 mph to 45 mpg over from standstill.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

Sep 022012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My fuel gauge is not accurate sometimes. It says there is fuel when there is not.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Aug 172010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge always read empty although the fuel tank was completely full. The dealer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 156,000.

- Holman, WI, USA

May 252012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

After filling up my 2005 Trailblazer, my gas needle went to empty and the light came on. The next morning my gas gauge was on full but then it started moving intermittently and has not stopped since. I am never sure how much gas I have and do not have the money to pay for repairs. After reading all the complaints from other people who also have a 2005 Trailblazer, it seems there should be a recall from GM. They are offering a "deal" as they call it where they will replace the fuel sensor if you have less than 120,000 miles but you still half to pay for half of the repair and GM will pay the other half. This is not a "deal", it should be covered by GM at 100%!

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Dec 032011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Gas gauge stopped working then would operate intermittently although incorrectly. Researched this issue on the internet and found that this was a common problem for 2005 Trailblazers. Contacted dealership and found there is a special "secret" policy covering this problem. I have included the response from the service department: "I hope you are having a great day. I do see that your vehicle does fall under the special policy 10054 which extends the warranty with a 50/50 split until 3/30/2016 or 120,000 miles on the fuel level sensor. If the issue you are experiencing is being caused by the sensor GM would pay for half the repair and you would be responsible for the other 50% of the cost which your portion would be around $200-$250. We would have to diagnose the issue first but if the cause is the sensor covered by the special policy you would only owe the aforementioned 50% of the repair. If you would like to set an appointment you can either reply to this email or call us direct at 414-425-7180. If you should have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to let me know." They want $99 for a diagnosis to determine if I qualify for a 50/50 split on repairs for their design problem. This is a ripoff.

- Greendale, WI, USA

Jan 012011

The fuel gauge does not work. This seems to be a very common problem, and GM's only remedy is to screw over consumers by making them pay for a known defective part out of pocket. This should be recalled and fixed at GM's expense, or they should at least offer a discount. Their $800 estimate is silly.

- Pulaski, WI, USA

Dec 192011

The Trailblazer stalled while in traffic. The car's gas gauge did not report the correct amount of fuel in the tank. The gauge went out permanently a short time later.

- Whitefish Bay, WI, USA

Jun 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving on the highway the other day my gas gauge in my 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer showed that my gas tank was in between half and quarter tank of gas. I was going approx 60-65 mph on the highway and the vehicle stalls due to being out of gas!!!! I get it towed to a gas station and fill it up when I start my car now it shows that there is no gas in the car when I just filled the tank. This is a major problem as I had my young child in the vehicle with me when the stall on the highway occurred. Not a happy person these days!!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 122010

Fuel gauge quit working and sometimes it would work and now has stopped all together.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

May 212012

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that after refueling, the fuel gauge reading began working erratically and would not display an accurate fuel level reading. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The manufacturer issued a special coverage program that covered half of the repair expenses for the replacement of the fuel sensor. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Asheville, NC, USA

May 312012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel gauge was showing low fuel level, I filled up the tank and the gauge went to empty and said fuel level low warning.

- Calhoun, KY, USA

Mar 022012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Both the speedometer and gas gauge quit working. In doing research, this appears to be a problem with alot of other owners of this vehicle; this should be a recall. This could be a very dangerous combination with the speedometer not working and if fuel runs out on a busy highway for example. I was just quoted over $880 to fix and declined due to the cost.

- Frisco, TX, USA