CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

8.8

$2,261.00

1. replace transmission (14 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Mar 012012

Trailblazer LT 4.2L

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones since my Trailblazer has over 100K. Unfortunately I bought used and have only put around 18k on it myself and still owe over 7 grand. Metal shavings in the Transmission pan, (a LOT of them) not a good thing. I have a 2004 Explorer with over 120K and no issues whatsoever. I will be sticking with Ford or import from now on. They may not be much better but at least I didn't have to bail them out with my tax dollars and then turn around and spend more to replace their poor quality equipment. Just saying.

- , Washington, Iowa, USA

May 042011

Trailblazer LX V6

We purchased our 2005 Trailblazer brand new in 2006. The transmission went after 55000 miles. We had it replaced at my mechanic for 2100 bucks. Now the vehicle has 68000 miles on it and the one that we had replaced is going bad. This one is under warranty. We will get it fixed and then this POS is being traded in. I will never buy another Chevy again! Buyers beware!!!!!

Adam

Please if you have any questions please contact me. morrell12@yahoo.com

Update from Jul 6, 2012: UPDATE:

The problem was not the transmission but having issues with the transfer case. Also, found out 4 wheel drive is not working although it worked this past winter. Wife and I traded it in yesterday and bought a Toyota Highlander. I hope this is a better car than our Chevy.

- , Corning, NY, USA

Dec 302008

Trailblazer ES EXT 4.2L V6

How does a transmission go bad at 51k???????. Really?. AAMCO told me that the max life expectancy for a transmission on this vehicle is about 60k miles. GM, you just flat out SUCK ass!!!!!!!!!

- , Sprtanburg, SC, USA

Dec 242011

Trailblazer ES EXT 4.2L V6

transmission died on xmas eve with 5 people in the car on the way to take my kids to the polar express. no tow trucks, no rental cars available on xmas eve night. Merry friggin Christmas from GM......didnt even get a bow on this gift. $450 to tow back to where i live and 1200 for the tranny. fixed it, and currently trading it in, i am DONE. This is the second transmission i have put into this car in 3 years. I am done with GM forever. Guarantee it. They just flat out suck. i am buying a foreign car with a 10 year warranty.

- , Sprtanburg, SC, USA

Jun 222011

Trailblazer 3.2L V6

Driving down the interstate while moving cross country and transmission starts whining and is clearly out of gear. Able to coast to side of road, but in other driving conditions this would have been a major accident. tried all gears and vehicle would not engage. Called roadside repair, but by the time they got there, engine had cooled a bit and car was able to go into gear. It was the weekend so I asked at a quickie type place that was open and they didn't seem to think there was much that could be done, so kept driving cross country. Took it to a chevy dealership a couple days later and talked to their "transmission" expert. He said that just happens sometimes and not much they can do since they can't replicate it. Luckily hasn't happened again. Although while sitting on the roadside my wife told me it had happened to her in that vehicle about a year before, but that after turning engine off and back on it had restarted. Since then my 4wd has gone out and now waiting on a new transfer case. (oh yeah and my fuel gauge doesn't work either). Like the vehicle except for all the problems so will look for another brand SUV when its time for a new one. Because I also had a few similar problems with my previous vehicle a '92 Blazer.

- , Rio Rancho, NM, USA

May 012009

Trailblazer LT V6

4 YEARS OLD TRANSMISSION DIED IN THE MIDDLE OF A MAJOR HWY, WOULDN'T SHIFT. 2600 DOLLARS TO FIX, ADD IT TO THE LIST OF CRA.P WITH THIS CAR. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

- , Bellport, NY, USA

Jul 212011

Trailblazer

my husband was on his way to the eye doctor which is 20 miles away to pick up his new glasses when the car all of a sudden makes a loud clunking noise and the RPMs hit the roof! Then the car would not go into park. I had to call the tow truck again to come and pick up this stupid piece of sh*t...

- , St Marys, PA, USA

Jun 272008

Trailblazer LS 4.2L

Trailblazer only had 39,000 all Fluids were checked before taking the 6000 mile Trip, Transmission went about 479 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere. Spent the night waiting for tow truck. Other issues with this truck which only has 54,000 miles now, Gas Gauge stop working, thermostat sticks. Driver seat knob pops off when you sit down. Water pump went and had to be replaced. This SUV is not worth the Money I paid in 2005. I'm Ready to switch and it is not going to be a Chevy. Out of Pocket over 2,000 in repairs.

- , Doral, FLA, USA

Feb 162010

Trailblazer 4.2L

TRANSMISSION STRUCK WILL NOT DRIVE. ONLY UNDER 35 MILES TOOK IT IN NEEDS A TRANSMISSION. WARRANTY IS OUT I WAS TOLD IT WOULD COST AROUND $3,400 OR MORE SO I AM STRUCK WITH THIS BIG PROBLEM AND I NEED HELP. I HAVE A LOAN ON THIS STILL,

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Feb 192009

Trailblazer 4.2L

ONCE AGAIN TRANSMISSION WILL NOT RESPONSE, WAS TOLD NOTHING WRONG AGAIN,

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Nov 202009

Trailblazer

MY DAUGHTER BOUGHT THIS CAR TO TRANSPORT HER HANDICAPPED SON BACK AND FORTH TO DR'S APPOINTMENTS WHAICH ARE 100 MILES A TRIP. SHE HAS OWNED IT FOR 14 MONTHS. WHITHIN THAT 14 MONTHS SHE HAS MADE NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE LIGHTS BLINKING AND THE TRANSMISSION. THE CAR WOULD LUNG FORWARD WHILE SHE WAS STOPPED AND WOULD WHINE WHILE SHE WAS DRIVING. SHE WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS NORMEAL FOR THESE CARS TO DO THAT. ONe DAY ON THE WAY BACK FROM AN APPOINTMENT THE CAR JUST ACTED LIKE IT WAS COASTING. HER AND MY GRANDSON SAT ON THE SIDE OF A BUSY ROAD FOR 2 HOURS TILL HELP COULD GET TO HER. SHE TOOK IT TO THE SHOP AND THEY SAID IT WAS THE TRANSMISSION. BY NOW THE WARRANTY WAS UP AND THEY REFUSE TO FIX THE CAR. THEY WANT 3100.00 TO FIX THIS PIECE OF SH*T. I HOPE THEY FEEL REALLY GOOD SCREWING MY DAUGHTER LIKE THAT. I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO NEVER UY A CAR FROM THAT DEALERSHIP. AAL SHE WANT WAS A SAFE CAR TO HAVE HER CHILDREN IN AND SHE GOT A PIECE OF JUNK. SHAME ON U PEOPLE. SOMEDAY I HOPE IT HAPPENS TO THEM. BEWARE... DONT BUY A TRAIL BALZER OR ANYTHING THAT SAYS BLAZER.

- , Twin Lake, MI, USA

Jun 202006

Trailblazer

My 2005 Chevy Trailblazer's tranny went out while on my way to Florida for vacation in 2006 with 32,000 miles on it, I had to leave it in GA for repairs and continue in a tiny rental car with 7 people's luggage, pick it up a week later. See next post for what happened to the " covered by warranty remanufact. replacement tranny" once it got 35,940 miles on it, TWO MONTHS past 3 years.

- , Clothier, WV, USA

Sep 202009

Trailblazer

I posted above about what happened to my trailblazer in 2006.. Well. last night, going only 5 miles away from home in the trailblazer that I only drive about 40 miles a week in the past year and a half, my transmission started messing up, RPM's went to heaven, wouldn't accelerate, took it home and smelled nothing but burnt smells. Today couldn't put it into reverse nor could it drive itself onto the flatbed tow truck. I AM 2 MONTHS PAST 3 YEARS, 60 MILES BELOW 36,000 , AND 4 PAYMENTS FROM PAYOFF!!!!!

This is really , really ridiculous... the vehicle has a total of 68,000 miles on it now.

- , Clothier, WV, USA

Jul 202009

Trailblazer 4x4 V6

We were on our way to Disneyland with our Grandchildren and our transmission went out while driving down the freeway.We had to have the car towed back home and rent a car to continue our trip.There was no sign of the problem until the vehicle would only go 35 mph.

- , Modesto, CA, USA

Apr 182009

Trailblazer EXT 4.2L V6

OK! First let me start by saying my husband hates Chevy but I wanted a Trailblazer. So I got it in Feb. I had never towed anything before. One day I was going to pick up my kids and the RPM'S started going up and down and I wasn't getting any power. LUCKILY we weren't very far from our house but we couldn't get over 35 MPH. And on the interstate people DON'T like that! I called the people from the warranty that I purchased when I got the vehicle. They said I'd have to pay for diagnostics but the rest would be covered. Well they did it and all the pressures were fine but all the clutches were burnt out and something else. They said it would HAVE to have a new transmission. They had a rebuilt one that had 12 months 12,000 mile warranty which was free w/ my coverage OR I could spend over $500 on a new one. I got the rebuilt one.

- , Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA

Dec 122008

Trailblazer LT I L 6

I got the car with 60000 miles on it It was well taking care of by the prev. owner.Now 9000 miles later I am looking $1800 for a rebuild 1 year warranty or $3000 for new one.It worked great one day, the next day my wife went to the store and it was making a grinding sound in 1st and R, the next day in overdrive as well, took to shop they said planet(planetary maybe?) was out it would need total rebuild.

- , Henryville, IN, USA

Oct 222007

Trailblazer LS V6

So I first noticed on a Friday evening that the truck would shudder a bit after leaving a stop light, then it would get a little worse as we approached 40-50 MPH. By Saturday it was doing it all the time, so I took it into a Big O tires HOPING it was a tire issue. They rotated, balanced and aligned and determined it wasn't a tire problem and was indeed a transmission issue. Sunday night driving home I had it in cruise control on the highway around 80, when someone pulled in front of me -- I slowed down to 50 and that was all she wrote, the truck would not accelerate more than 50. The dealership says the transmission must be completely replaced as well as the Front Differential! I never tow, I never have hard starts or stops and have kept this vehicle in tip-top shape! So why is this happening?!?! It's a 2005 for crying out loud! What happened to being "the most reliable trucks on the road"? Now I'm screwed and upside down in a truck that won't run without $3200 worth of repairs!

- , Monterey, CA, USA

Sep 122007

Trailblazer LX V6

With less than 50,000 miles the transmission went out on the Trailblazer. Chevy customer services is denying any defects with the transmission and are unwilling to offer any assistance. I haven't ever hauled anything in the SUV aside from myself and an infant. This is ridiculous. I will never buy American again, let alone a Chevy. I now have to either pony up $3200 or find a new SUV.

- , Woodbridge, Virginia, USA

Jul 102007

Trailblazer LS EXT V6

I have had problems with my trailblazer transmission twice in a month. You can image how inconvenient that can be. I am so upset with this vehicle.

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Nov 302005

Trailblazer LX

(Anthony didn't leave any description)

- , Dalton, GA, USA