CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2.2

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 092015

Trailblazer

The front drive axle that goes through the oil pan housing became off balanced, and the vibrations caused sequential breakdowns through all of the connecting parts during normal use, such as the oil pan axle seals, front differential seals, front differential internal gears, cv joints, wheel seals, and the corresponding front axle systems. When the wheel seal vibrated loose, the gear lube sprayed over the engine block, and caught on fire. The vehicle was towed to the shop. The mechanic predicts that the offending off-balanced axle may lock up while driving if not replaced. Note: The date listed is the date of the fire in the engine compartment, but there are many ongoing issues with all of the parts listed, especially the internal disintegration of the front differential.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Apr 282016

Trailblazer

Vehicle shut off while driving on highway lost power almost got into accident and was blocking trafficc. Other vehicles like mine have the same problem.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Jan 222016

Trailblazer

My wife was driving our 2006 Chevy Trailblazer, and without any notice while in drive it stop accelerating. All the gears were affected (D, R,1,2,3 ) we turned off the vehicle, turned it back on and the vehicle drove for a few miles and then again without notice did the same thing.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Aug 052015

Trailblazer

Driving along at 30 mph and stepped on gas to speed up to 45 mph which was the new speed limit, when tried to accelerate I had nothing. It was like the transmission was in neutral. I have no R/D/D3/D2/D1, not even in 4WD. The transmission is gone. I was coming home from a 40 mile trip, there was no warning of any problems at all. It ran fine the whole trip and the nothing. Thx

- Coaldale, PA, USA

Feb 012015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

4WD switch no longer lit up to show what it was in (4 options: 2wd, auto, 4H, 4L). Control module changed and now stability control is permanently lit up as well as original problem exists. Other than to continue to change part after part after part and sink thousands of dollars into an undiagnosible problem there doesn't seem to be an answer. Meantime the vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- Canton, NY, USA

Dec 262014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

4WD disengages and becomes 2wd only 4WD will not reengage.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 072014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear all the time!

- Tropic , UT, USA

May 252013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My wife was coming home from work. She started her car and backed up, went to shift to drive and something broke stranding he in a empty parking lot on a Saturday. She was in a traffic lane and blocking the handicap parking space. I have owned cars for many years and never had such a thing happen. Why did you make an all steel cable and mountings and then put a tiny plastic end on it that brakes all the time. The parts house and the service shops all said it happens all the time and you must buy a replacement from the dealer. They know it is a problem as they must stock the cable assemblies that cost a lot to change. Please redesign them and change the plastic end to a stainless steel end and retrofit all cars, SUV's and trucks that use this part.

- Kol;Oa, HI, USA

Feb 252014

Trailblazer

Transmission / sun shield failure: Leaving work, I pulled out of the parking lot onto a major road. I accelerated to approximately 35-40 mph and heard a tremendous loud noise underneath my car and the car started to decelerate on it's own. I immediately thought I ran over something made of steel that was in the roadway, but there was nothing there. I was barely able to pull off the road because, although the car was running, the car would not move forward. I called a mechanic friend who advised me that 2 of the 4 gears are working. It is a transmission problem. After researching online I see that there is a sun shield / sun shell problem with these Trailblazers (and Envoy, etc) and I really think this issue should be investigated for a recall. If I had been on a major highway, I am afraid of what would have happened to me.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Nov 132013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Changing out the air filter as part of routine self check and maintenance. Decided to check the oil and other fluids at the same time. The oil reservoir is bone dry. My oil is changed at regular intervals, at the same shop, since I've owned it. The oil light/sensor didn't come on. The onstar report doesn't show any low oil level. Maybe this is a built in feature from Chevrolet - the "throw a rod in the engine induction system"!!! vehicle is always serviced at the dealer, but they usually don't find anything worth fixing until you bill can come out to at least $1000. The tv commercials they run about Chevy trucks are "like a rock" are very true. This Trailblazer is as useless as a rock.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 092013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This SUV is nothing short of a rolling hazard. The "check engine" light is on and off, again, for the past 6 days. Tried to start it up this morning and the engine light was on. As soon as I was about to back out of the driveway, the vehicle started to idle in a manner that caused the rpms to crank way up and then plunge until almost shutting the engine down with violent shaking and loud roaring noise. Yesterday, the stabilitrak warnings (2) came on the dashboard - I was only going 3 mph exiting a parking lot. There was no inclement weather and the road was bone dry. I haven't been able to pick up power and it seems like the more I press on the gas pedal, the slower I go. I live in houston and the traffic conditions really don't allow for a "sudden stop" or loss of power on a freeway where people are traveling at an average speed of 70 mph. I have had 4 other instances of this "check engine" light in 3 yrs. The dealer isn't much help and GM Chevy is no help at all!!!! the tv commercials they run about Chevy trucks are "like a rock" are very true. This Trailblazer is as useless as a rock.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 202011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated while driving 10 mph, he depressed the accelerator pedal to increase speed but the vehicle would not change gears. The contact then stopped the vehicle, shifted the gears until the vehicle moved in reverse. The contact placed the vehicle back in drive gear and the vehicle functioned normally. The vehicle was never repaired nor was the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000. The current mileage was 51,490.

- Brook Park, OH, USA

May 112013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My son and I were out today shopping locally only about 1 mile from our home. The car was fine and everything was great until all of a sudden, the acceleration on the car started to decline even though I had my foot on the gas the car just seemed to do nothing. I was in the middle lane and traffic was vicious, I turned on my hazards and attempted to try and push on the gas. I car came to a stop but the engine was still running, it felt like I was in neutral but I was clearly in drive. I contacted onstar they called the police to make sure we did not get in an accident, as I stated earlier, we were in traffic. I received a push to a safe side of the street and tried to restart the car over and over again, the car started up fine, it just would not go anywhere, no movement. I had to get it towed to my home because it was 110 degrees and I had my youngest child with me. We waited 2 hours for the tow truck, I was dehydrated and faint by the time we made it home. My husband contacted the dealership as we just purchased the car in February of 2013 from ezcarsandcredit in riverside ca, they said don't worry about it, they will have the manager call us back to take care of the problem, that was 4 hours ago and still no call.

- Perris, CA, USA

Oct 312012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that he noticed fluid leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. After diagnosis, he was informed that the transmission coolant lines had become corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the transmission coolant lines. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised that there were no recalls for his vehicle. The failure and current mileages were approximately 120,000.

- Daleville, AL, USA

Jun 152011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This has happened to me 4 times in the last year and a half first time at a red light it turned green I was the only car at the light when I hit the gas it felt like someone rear ended me look no one behind me then the rear brakes were locked up I drove it 1/4 of a mile and they unlocked them selves I drove to my dealer told them he looked it up said there was a service bulletin about that took my Blazer in for a oil change an I supposed looked at the brakes then about 6 months later the same thing and it felt like some one rear ended me again but no one there behind me..then about a month ago in July the same thing at a red lite and I had 3 senior citizens in the Blazer when they all thought some one ran into the rear of me but no one was behind me the rear brakes only stayed locked up maybe 300 yards and then released..then today at a stop sign 8-16-2012 same thing then all kind of noise going to the doctors office about 1/4 of a mile away got into the parking lot an the drive shaft fell out at the front of the trans here both bars trailing arms at the rear axle broke had to have it towed the Chevrolet dealership(greenwood) in austintown Ohio I have 43000 miles on it and bought it new at greenwood Chevrolet.

- Austintown, OH, USA

Aug 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Transmission cooler lines corroded through and started leaking.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Dec 192010

Trailblazer 4WD 8-cyl

Very hard, shocking 2-1 (maybe 3-2?) downshift after long drive as in 2-3 hours or under heavy load. Such a hard brutal shift can lead to an accident. This is a very serious situation and it feels like you have hit something solid like another car. It is hard enough to completely jar occupants and dislodge glasses off of your face. You immediately lose about 5 mph. Feels like it could cause complete transmission failure. It is very difficult to recreate this failure and it is so scary that you would not want to do it again.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jan 092012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Without warning car would not accelerate when applying pressure to gas pedal, the motor would just rev up. I had to shift automatic transmission into lower gear to get it to go. I was able to drive to dealership by manually shifting transmission. Service department inform me that transmission was shot and would need to be replaced for about $3,000 dollars. My 2006 Chevy Trailblazer has always been service at the same dealership and only has 28,783 miles on the odometer; I did not think that the transmission would fail with such low mileage. GM did say that they would cover the parts but I would be responsible to pay for labor. I realized that Chevy did not offer 100,000 mile power train warranties on Trailblazers until 2007 but I believe that the transmission was defective from the start and Chevy should be responsible to cover replacement cost.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 262011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The RPM gauge stopped working today. The car hesitated and is acting not right. I have read of numerous people having the exact same issue. GM needs to do a full recall on this issue.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Jan 052011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The 2006 Trailblazer had issues with the 2-wheel drive/4-wheel drive actuator and sensor. I had the sensor replace under warranty because the indicator light on the actuator handle was in a different range than what the knob indicated. After replacement, the truck indicator light would occasionally change while driving. There were no warning lights indicating that there was an issue with the power train system. The transfer case eventually burned up due to continuous switching between high and low hears while driving. The truck lost power while driving at 65 miles an hour in mountainous and snowy conditions. The transfer case, and sensor and actuator were all paid my the car owner.

- Denver , CO, USA