Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Whilst driving on the highway the engine shut down and lost power steering. Had to pull over on the side of the highway. At high speeds this is troubling. The powertrain and check engine light came on. Waited several minutes and car would restart and be operable but would repeat. Mechanic determined a faulty computer known as the powetrain control module (PCM) or engine control module (ECM). This part was replaced and has fixed the problem.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 281016

I spent over $1000 to have this problem fix, years ago, today 5/27/20016 I having the same problems. This truck is important to me and my kid. Turn the key and it want start, wait ten miniutes and try it again it starts, but while driving it the engine shuts down in traffic. Pull over to the side try to start it again sometimes it will start wright away no problem but other time it will take longer prolike the next day. The major concern is while I am driving with my son, the engine would shut down on the highway and local streets. Everytime this happen I am concern someone will rear end my truck and someone will be hurt. I try different mechanic the same problems. I needed help?

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Apr 282016

Vehicle shut off while driving on highway lost power almost got into accident and was blocking trafficc. Other vehicles like mine have the same problem.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Mar 012016

When driving the engine randomly shuts off, looses power steering have to switch to neutral and restart vehicle. Suspect ignition switch possible

- Riverton, UT, USA

Jan 012012

Ignition switch failed on the road truck shut off could not be pushed would not go out of park once attempted to restart. Had to be towed off road.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Oct 312012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the vehicle leaked oil. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. Updated 1/12/16

- Butler, KY, USA

May 272015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. The pass lock warning message illuminated prior to the failure. The failure was recurring. The vehicle restarted after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 149,000. Updated 12/03/15 the consumer stated the ignition switch and relay were replaced. However, the problem continued. Updated 12/10/15.

- East Jordan , MI, USA

Dec 202007

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The ignition circuit was replaced; however, the failure recurred. The mechanic stated that the throttle body needed to be cleaned. In addition, the contact stated that there was a grinding sound as the ignition was being started. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the starter drive gear was worn and the starter was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jun 052015

On two occasions now within a two week time frame, vehicle shuts off while driving. Both times I was in motion at approx. 25 to 35 mph. Get it over to put in park and it does start up so far. I have children and I commute on an extremely busy freeway. What if this failure occurs while I'm moving at 70mph plus? my mechanic has replaced some parts in hopes it was the problem. The check engine light is on/off for months but nothing of a major concern is showing up on the computer. I understand this vehicle has 150K miles but it should not be shutting down while driving. Please help.

- Howell, MI, USA

Apr 082015

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I recently purchased this vehicle 3 weeks ago from a dealer in St augustine, Florida. The engine will just shut off when I am driving, I have two young children and am concerned that this could cause an accident when driving. I have not been able to get any help from the dealer where I purchased the vehicle even to do a diagnostic on the vehicle. Has there been any problems/ recalls with the ignition switch on this make and model, even when at idle it will shut off, without touching anything.

- St Augustine, FL, USA

Jun 022014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who discovered burnt wires. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Tawas, MI, USA

Oct 072014

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 148,000. Djr

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 232014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 45 mph, the engine seized without warning. As a result, the vehicle lost all electricity and power steering. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 133,800.

- Troy, MI, USA

May 192013

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My husband and I were traveling home from a weekend out of state. We were coming into Chicago traveling towards Wisconsin where we live. Just before the first toll booth on I80/I94 traveling at highway speeds, we hit a slight bump in the road and lost all power to the car. We managed to coast the car over from the far left lane of a 5 lane highway to the right shoulder of the road out of harms way. The car was towed to a Firestone dealership on a Sunday afternoon; we were told after a systems analysis was completed that the car would have to be towed to a GM dealership. The closest was in homewood, il. After GM fixed the car, I asked what would cause something like this to happen. I was told by the dealership, it is something that just happens. Knowing the gravity of what could have happened, this is very upsetting. I really believe the Trailblazer should be also noted on the GM recall of autos before another family has to experience what mine did or worse. Thank you

- Verona, WI, USA

May 252013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My wife was coming home from work. She started her car and backed up, went to shift to drive and something broke stranding he in a empty parking lot on a Saturday. She was in a traffic lane and blocking the handicap parking space. I have owned cars for many years and never had such a thing happen. Why did you make an all steel cable and mountings and then put a tiny plastic end on it that brakes all the time. The parts house and the service shops all said it happens all the time and you must buy a replacement from the dealer. They know it is a problem as they must stock the cable assemblies that cost a lot to change. Please redesign them and change the plastic end to a stainless steel end and retrofit all cars, SUV's and trucks that use this part.

- Kol;Oa, HI, USA

May 012014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My wife, daughter and myself were driving on Idaho state highway 70, a narrow, winding, two-lane road with little to no shoulder, when the motor stopped and ilost all power-brakes, steering etc. I was fortunately able to steer the car over to a wide spot on the shoulder and stop. I was unable to re-start the Blazer and called aaa to have it hauled to knudtsen Chevrolet in coeur D'alene, Idaho. In another half hour we would have been driving 70 mph on interstate and the outcome could have been disasterous if the car had failed then in high volume traffic. The next day I was advised by knudtsen that the ignition switch was the problem. I wrote a follow-up letter to the owner and the service manager called a few days later indicating that since my warranty had expired neither GM nor knudtsen could help me with the $268 charge for replacing the switch. Since then I have been told GM and knudtsen would split the cost three ways since I was a long-time customer (three Blazer). I have not yet received any reimbursement as of this date. Is this possibly another car which should be on the recall list?

- Post Falls, ID, USA

Jan 012014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway when the check engine and low power lights came on. I lost all acceleration and my RPM's dropped to nothing. Codes that came up were for the throttle body. I read a complaint that states GM knows about this issue. Why haven't they done anything about this?

- Kimberly, WI, USA

Mar 032014

Every time that I stop at a stoplight and start to go, the oil pressure drops to zero, the check gauges light comes on and message says oil pressure low and it cause the vehicle to act up and drive extremely slow, sometimes causing it to shut off or go into shut down mode. I googled this issue to try to figure out the problem that causes this and seen that several people have this issue with the Trailblazers. I spoke with a GM certified mechanic and he told me that this is a very common issue with the Trailblazer and said its either faulty wiring or oil sending unit. This issue is very dangerous to have happen and could (and probably has) cause an accident or someone to be stranded. With so many people having this issue, there is no way its just a coincidence. Whatever the problem is there should be a recall for GM. I hope this issue is thoroughly investigated and something is done to fix the problem. Thanks

- Washington, IL, USA

Jan 172014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph when she smelled a burning odor. The engine was powered off and the contact then noticed a fire had erupted from under the hood. The fire quickly began to spread but the contact was able to exit the vehicle without injury. The fire department was called to extinguish the fire and a police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed to determine the cause of the fire. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Pascoag, RI, USA

Aug 042008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I just want to get some information out there on my experience: Battery replacement seem ways too often 8/2008, 10/2010, 9/2013 - and there is no notice until you cannot start it one day. First thing to go was the idle pulley. I have had the water pump/thermostat/belts replaced multiple times 50K, 60K, 87K. Headlights and tail lights replaced at least 3 times each. I have had to clean the throttle block plate multiple times or the TB will stall when the brake is applied or heat/ac on. I have come to find out that there are many non-oem parts which I never replaced (I purchased used w/17K miles) and nothing showed up on car fax or other reports about accidents or repairs. I had the gas guage/tank/float repaired while it was under warranty still and then a year later it broke again, and I am still riding with it broken (at least the last 5 years), which of course keeps my check engine light on nearly all the time. I just located the notice that GM is now doing 100% of the repair and I will be making an appointment to get it fixed as I will not pass inspection and I never know how much gas I have. I fill every 200 miles. There are other minor issues such as interior lights going out, both of the front seats have detached from the side molding (only 1 little screw holds them in), the rear washer has not worked in about 6 years. I also have loud noises coming out of the tires/wheels and no one can determine an exact cause, but it's not the brakes or rotors or anything like that. I currently have under 89K miles. I am waiting for the door electrical system to go next as that seems like what is next on the list of TB issues.

- Tempe, AZ, USA