CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

8.0

1. replace faulty level sensor in fuel pump assembly (34 reports)
  3. replace fuel sending unit (2 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 102013

Trailblazer LT 6

THE GAS GAUGE CAN GO FROM 3/4 OF A TANK TO READING A NEEDLE WIDTH ABOVE EMPTY IN JUST A COUPLE SECONDS. THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT RUN OUT OF GAS UNLESS YOU FILL IT UP EVERY COUPLE DAYS, OR HAVE TO TRACK ON THE ODOMETER ALL THE TIME.

- , Dewitt, MI, USA

Aug 012012

Trailblazer V6

I see now that this is an ongoing issue that more than 1 person has had, It is really expensive to fix and with a fixed income it is not going to happen...Can't they see this is a major issue, why can they not place this on a recall.. I refuse to pay out more money for them to place a recall several years later... If they don't fix it, then it will stay that way... I know about how far I can go on a tank, but this is just plain crap.. not to mention they have now issued a recall for another problem I paid for over 5 years ago and of course I do not have a receipt and the dealership is out of business!! Grr.. I am going Toyota next time around....

- , Stockport, OH, USA

Nov 132012

Trailblazer EXT Vortec 4.2L L6

VERY UNNERVING AS THE GAS GAUGE CONSTANTLY SHIFTS MAKING YOU PLAY THE '"GUESS HOW FAR YOU'LL WALK" GAME ESPECIALLY IN THE SNOW, ICE, AND RAIN. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED SOOOOO MUCH BY ME AND MY PARANOID FAMILY.

- , Covington, GA, USA

Mar 102010

Trailblazer LS 4.6L

Have owned our 2006 Trailblazer for 4 years and have had the fuel sensor replaced twice now.... most recently last week, this cost $500 per visit, my mechanic whom we trust very much says it is something that will need replaced about every three years. Love our truck, hate the problems.

I do however have some advise that may help some of your problems electrically, if you ever need to replace the battery be sure all components inside are turned off, Made this mistake when replacing mine, burnt up the heater switch, melted the wiring, had to replace fan module under dash, did it myself was not hard to do, took longer to replace headlights. Although we have always been Chevy, we will no longer be looking to purchase another one, been looking real hard at Kia's, our mechanic says he doesn't see them in his shop til around 100,000 miles and that is for standard tune ups. "How bout that, Chevy?"

- , Delaware, OH, USA

Aug 082012

Trailblazer LS

Received the notice like everybody else last year in regards to the fuel gauge inop problem, but at the time the problem had not reared it's ugly head yet,so of course disregarded notice.

First problem that occurred was check engine light came on, I have an AutoLink analyzer and it keeps saying advanced timing on bank 1 and cannot clear it.

Then last month, wife complained that low fuel light came on and gas gauge went to empty. I filled it up the next two times. Only time, right now, that we have a problem is when we fill it up. The low fuel light will come on and gauge will go to random points. After a couple of days it will seem to fall into place correctly. After reading all the previous posts, know that it is going to fail and have to have the fuel sensor replaced, but as usual, am SOL because now have over 120k miles which I understand was cutoff for the 1/2 offer fix.

Will get it fixed at the same time that I get the drivers door window module replaced because of the potential fire hazard risk from water after they decide how much they are going to charge us for that.

I and the wife like the vehicle including the looks but have switched trucks from chevy to ford and am now going to do the same with my other vehicles. I am not a young man and have gone thru the tests of time for vehicles; started with dodge, switched to chevy, now going to switch to ford.

- , Cambridge, MD, USA

Oct 232011

Trailblazer 6 cyl

I read so much about this problem on the Internet, so many folks ready to scrap there Trailblazers, paying anywhere from $550 to $1200! I took mine to Performance Chevrolet in Sac and they repaired it for $165. It was no big deal, total was $330, Chevy paid 1/2.

- , Rio Linda, CA, USA

Nov 142011

Trailblazer Trailblazer LS 4.2L V6

Same as everyone else, fuel gauge stopped working. Funny thing is GM sent me a letter in the mail before the issue even occurred, stating they would pay half... pathetic. I will never buy Chevy again...

- , Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Jul 152011

Trailblazer LS 4.2L

The fuel gauge was not accurate for some time and then quit working altogether. A trip to the Chevy dealer cost me $500. In Oct I received a letter telling me I would be reimbursed for 1/2 the cost. I went to the dealer with the form and was treated like a criminal for applying for the refund. By the way the refund does not include sales tax that I payed. GM says they are not obligated to refund sales tax collected by the dealer. After a complaint to GM and weeks of daily return calls from their customer support person I finally received a determination by them. They are not taking responsibility for the problem of their product failure. They offered me an additional $1000 trade in value if I buy a new vehicle. (We all know how that works). After voicing my desire to obtain the added discount at a Ford dealer they added a coupon for discounted service at a GM dealer that is good for one year on the vehicle in question. The customer relations folks did respond quickly however they have no power to do anything.

- , New Tripoli, PA, USA

May 012010

Trailblazer

My fuel gauge also doesnt work anymore. used to bounce around now it just says empty. Chevrolet Should Recall This Problem!!!!

- , Penn Yan, NY, USA

Feb 012011

Trailblazer LS

I can see I am not the only one having this problem with my gas Gage. I THINK CHEVROLET SHOULD DO A RECALL. I ran out of gas with my children on a back road 15 miles from a gas station. Luckily I had my cell phone. My gas Gage was not reading empty!! I have been told it will cost a an approx $600 to fix. I am pissed, my next car will be a nissen. We buy American cars to support our homeland, but where is our support on this Chevrolet?

Update from Oct 28, 2011: I received a letter from Chevrolet on October 27, 2011 stating GM will pay for half of the expense to repair this problem. If you have not received a letter, Write to Chevrolet P.O. Box 909989 Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989 Attn: Jim Moloney General Director of Customer Relationship Services If you have already done a repair, request for a reimbursement. They will send you the guidelines to promptly receive 50% reimbursement

- , Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Nov 152009

Trailblazer LS 4.2L V6

NOW, after ALL THIS TIME, Chevrolet sends a letter offering to pay for HALF the repair. HALF!!!!! Their stupid design causing SO MANY OWNERS to have issues, and they offer to pay only HALF the repair? AAUUGGGHHH!!!!! They must really not want my business ever again. My car has over 110K miles, and the repair has to be completed before 120K miles in order to be covered. But did I mention they are only willing to cover HALF the cost?? The stupid gas gauge stopped working when the car had only about 72000 miles on it, and the low fuel light stays on...the low fuel bell rings at random, and they want me to pay half.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 152011

Trailblazer LS 4.2L

I have owned and driven Chevrolets for over 40 years and I have never had to repair a fuel gauge.I might add I probably have owned and driven over 100 vehicles from jeeps to fords as I have always had 2/4 automobiles in my possession at any given time. I currently have 3/chevys in my garage at this time.I cannot believe Chevrolet has had this problem with so many Trailblazers(must be the reason they have discontinued manufacturing the Trailblazer-along with the other issues I have heard about) I do not understand why Chevrolet will not come forward and admit they have a faulty part. I have been told it is the gas we run today that is causing sensor failure ??now Chevrolet has said they would be responsible for 1/2 cost to fix.but labor alone is 251.00 to 400.00 to repair takes about 2 hours?at 10.00/12.00an hour that I make I cannot pay them 125.00 to 200.00 hour to repair a car that they should fix themselves//if I make a mistake in my line of work I have to fix it myself or I do not get paid//sure wish I had went to mechanics school or into brain surgery so I could make 125.00per hour sick/sick/sick of chevy trailblazers.

- , Little River Sc, SC, USA

May 052011

Trailblazer EX V6

MY FUEL GUAGE STARTED MOVING WHEN FILLING UP TO EMPTY THEN ONE DAY IT JUST STOPPED WORKING ENTIRELY. THE LOW FUEL LIGHT STAYS ON AND I NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH FUEL I HAVE. THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT OF MY VEHICLE RIGHT AFTER THE WARRANTY WAS OUT. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS VEHICLE. I HAD A JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE THAT KEPT GOING AND GOING FOR 260K MILES, I WILL BE SURPRISED IF I GET 150K MILES FROM THIS CAR. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR QUALITY OF PRODUCT....

- , Bristow, OK, USA

Jun 152011

Trailblazer LT 4.2L 6 cyl

click to see larger images

fuel gauge is inaccurate

I did not realize so many other people were having the same problem with their fuel gauge,i have run out of gas a few times and with the kids and grandkids in the vehicle.It started as saying it was on empty then you would turn the engine off turn it back on and i think it would read right ,then it stayed on empty with light on,and of course i did not purchase the extra warranty and do not have the extra money to get it fixed...especially when you can't just buy the sensor you have to buy the whole fuel pump!!!Recall it !!!

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 152009

Trailblazer LS 4

I really appreciate all of you who have posted your complaints. Your postings have helped me tremendously. My fuel gauge started acting crazy about 2 years ago and it has been a pain in the tail. I really love my vehicle, but I have experienced the exact same problems that many of you have listed. My situation is so bad now that it has affected my vehicles ability to maintain or increase speed. Although, I love my vehicle and I do not want to purchase a new one, I really feel that it is my best option. I just don't want to invest the money in paying the $500.00 to $1000.00 dollars to get it fixed only to have the problem re-occur.

- , Austintown, OH, USA

Jul 152010

Trailblazer

Paid a total of $1805 for all the repairs. not sure if they were related, but it started with the fuel gauge going crazy. didn't have the money to get it repaired, estimated at $800 to replace sensor, so used the trip meter to monitor gas consumption. but finally had to get it fixed because the engine light was permanently on and we were afraid it would make emission testing fail and not be able to register vehicle. we brought it in to be reapaired and was told that a bunch of sensors were also failing and ac components as well. not sure if they are at all related to the fuel gauge problems, but nevertheless, painful in the pocket. Now I read all these complaints about it and all the people who had the same problem and it's disheartening. Give us our money back and recall the car!!!

- , tucson, az, USA

May 152011

Trailblazer LX V6

The newspaper stated Chevy was looking into a recall. how do you find out when ?

- , Grove City, OH, USA

Jun 012009

Trailblazer LS 4.2L I6

From what I can tell this is a common problem with this model. This is my wife's main mode of transportation. We were told when this item failed that it would cost almost $1000.00 to repair. We just can't afford to have it fixed. My wife uses the trip meter to tell how may miles she travels before she needs to fill up. She has run out of gas several times and thank goodness she has been close to home when she did. I was able to go get her with the always ready gallon of gas we keep at home just for this purpose. When will GM recall this obvious dangerous defect and repair these vehicles?

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA

Nov 022009

Trailblazer LS V6

At first, the fuel gauge started to record crazy readings, going up and down for a couple of fill ups. After that, it stopped working all together and now it only shows it as empty with the idiot light on.

I was told they go bad very frequently, but there is no recall on this. Price to fix: $495.00, so I have decided to look at the mileage and not let it go over 300 miles in the city. I have run out of gas a few times and the last time last week I had to make a sharp turn to get off the highway and almost had an accident as I almost didn't make it.

We need a recall on this!!

- , Maitland, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Trailblazer LT

My gas gauge would show that my tank was empty even immediately after I filled the vehicle. After about 50 miles, it would start bouncing around and show that I had SOME gas in the tank... and then eventually go up to the close to full mark! The gauge couldn't be trusted, so I had to have it replaced.

- , Hastings, NE, USA