CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

8.1

1. replace faulty sensor in fuel pump assembly (28 reports)
  3. replace fuel sending unit (2 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 102013

Trailblazer LT 6

THE GAS GAUGE CAN GO FROM 3/4 OF A TANK TO READING A NEEDLE WIDTH ABOVE EMPTY IN JUST A COUPLE SECONDS. THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT RUN OUT OF GAS UNLESS YOU FILL IT UP EVERY COUPLE DAYS, OR HAVE TO TRACK ON THE ODOMETER ALL THE TIME.

- , Dewitt, Michigan, USA

Aug 012012

Trailblazer V6

I see now that this is an ongoing issue that more than 1 person has had, It is really expensive to fix and with a fixed income it is not going to happen...Can't they see this is a major issue, why can they not place this on a recall.. I refuse to pay out more money for them to place a recall several years later... If they don't fix it, then it will stay that way... I know about how far I can go on a tank, but this is just plain crap.. not to mention they have now issued a recall for another problem I paid for over 5 years ago and of course I do not have a receipt and the dealership is out of business!! Grr.. I am going Toyota next time around....

- , Stockport, Ohio, USA

Nov 132012

Trailblazer EXT Vortec 4.2L L6

VERY UNNERVING AS THE GAS GAUGE CONSTANTLY SHIFTS MAKING YOU PLAY THE '"GUESS HOW FAR YOU'LL WALK" GAME ESPECIALLY IN THE SNOW, ICE, AND RAIN. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED SOOOOO MUCH BY ME AND MY PARANOID FAMILY.

- , Covington, Georgia, USA

Oct 232011

Trailblazer 6 cyl

I read so much about this problem on the Internet, so many folks ready to scrap there Trailblazers, paying anywhere from $550 to $1200! I took mine to Performance Chevrolet in Sac and they repaired it for $165. It was no big deal, total was $330, Chevy paid 1/2.

- , Rio Linda, CA, USA

Nov 142011

Trailblazer Trailblazer LS 4.2L V6

Same as everyone else, fuel gauge stopped working. Funny thing is GM sent me a letter in the mail before the issue even occurred, stating they would pay half... pathetic. I will never buy Chevy again...

- , Des Moines, Iowa, USA

May 012010

Trailblazer

My fuel gauge also doesnt work anymore. used to bounce around now it just says empty. Chevrolet Should Recall This Problem!!!!

- , Penn Yan, NY, USA

Nov 152009

Trailblazer LS 4.2L V6

NOW, after ALL THIS TIME, Chevrolet sends a letter offering to pay for HALF the repair. HALF!!!!! Their stupid design causing SO MANY OWNERS to have issues, and they offer to pay only HALF the repair? AAUUGGGHHH!!!!! They must really not want my business ever again. My car has over 110K miles, and the repair has to be completed before 120K miles in order to be covered. But did I mention they are only willing to cover HALF the cost?? The stupid gas gauge stopped working when the car had only about 72000 miles on it, and the low fuel light stays on...the low fuel bell rings at random, and they want me to pay half.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 152011

Trailblazer LS 4.2L

I have owned and driven Chevrolets for over 40 years and I have never had to repair a fuel gauge.I might add I probably have owned and driven over 100 vehicles from jeeps to fords as I have always had 2/4 automobiles in my possession at any given time. I currently have 3/chevys in my garage at this time.I cannot believe Chevrolet has had this problem with so many Trailblazers(must be the reason they have discontinued manufacturing the Trailblazer-along with the other issues I have heard about) I do not understand why Chevrolet will not come forward and admit they have a faulty part. I have been told it is the gas we run today that is causing sensor failure ??now Chevrolet has said they would be responsible for 1/2 cost to fix.but labor alone is 251.00 to 400.00 to repair takes about 2 hours?at 10.00/12.00an hour that I make I cannot pay them 125.00 to 200.00 hour to repair a car that they should fix themselves//if I make a mistake in my line of work I have to fix it myself or I do not get paid//sure wish I had went to mechanics school or into brain surgery so I could make 125.00per hour sick/sick/sick of chevy trailblazers.

- , Little River Sc, SC, USA

May 052011

Trailblazer EX V6

MY FUEL GUAGE STARTED MOVING WHEN FILLING UP TO EMPTY THEN ONE DAY IT JUST STOPPED WORKING ENTIRELY. THE LOW FUEL LIGHT STAYS ON AND I NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH FUEL I HAVE. THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT OF MY VEHICLE RIGHT AFTER THE WARRANTY WAS OUT. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS VEHICLE. I HAD A JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE THAT KEPT GOING AND GOING FOR 260K MILES, I WILL BE SURPRISED IF I GET 150K MILES FROM THIS CAR. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR QUALITY OF PRODUCT....

- , Bristow, OK, USA

Jun 152011

Trailblazer LT 4.2L 6 cyl

click to see larger images

fuel gauge is inaccurate

I did not realize so many other people were having the same problem with their fuel gauge,i have run out of gas a few times and with the kids and grandkids in the vehicle.It started as saying it was on empty then you would turn the engine off turn it back on and i think it would read right ,then it stayed on empty with light on,and of course i did not purchase the extra warranty and do not have the extra money to get it fixed...especially when you can't just buy the sensor you have to buy the whole fuel pump!!!Recall it !!!

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 152009

Trailblazer LS 4

I really appreciate all of you who have posted your complaints. Your postings have helped me tremendously. My fuel gauge started acting crazy about 2 years ago and it has been a pain in the tail. I really love my vehicle, but I have experienced the exact same problems that many of you have listed. My situation is so bad now that it has affected my vehicles ability to maintain or increase speed. Although, I love my vehicle and I do not want to purchase a new one, I really feel that it is my best option. I just don't want to invest the money in paying the $500.00 to $1000.00 dollars to get it fixed only to have the problem re-occur.

- , Austintown, OH, USA

Jun 012009

Trailblazer LS 4.2L I6

From what I can tell this is a common problem with this model. This is my wife's main mode of transportation. We were told when this item failed that it would cost almost $1000.00 to repair. We just can't afford to have it fixed. My wife uses the trip meter to tell how may miles she travels before she needs to fill up. She has run out of gas several times and thank goodness she has been close to home when she did. I was able to go get her with the always ready gallon of gas we keep at home just for this purpose. When will GM recall this obvious dangerous defect and repair these vehicles?

- , Okeechobee, Florida, USA

Nov 022009

Trailblazer LS V6

At first, the fuel gauge started to record crazy readings, going up and down for a couple of fill ups. After that, it stopped working all together and now it only shows it as empty with the idiot light on.

I was told they go bad very frequently, but there is no recall on this. Price to fix: $495.00, so I have decided to look at the mileage and not let it go over 300 miles in the city. I have run out of gas a few times and the last time last week I had to make a sharp turn to get off the highway and almost had an accident as I almost didn't make it.

We need a recall on this!!

- , Maitland, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Trailblazer LT

My gas gauge would show that my tank was empty even immediately after I filled the vehicle. After about 50 miles, it would start bouncing around and show that I had SOME gas in the tank... and then eventually go up to the close to full mark! The gauge couldn't be trusted, so I had to have it replaced.

- , Hastings, NE, USA

Nov 262010

Trailblazer EXT LS 4.2L V6

So my 06 Trailblazer has the same screwed up fuel system as everyone else. I thought I should share this frustration with GM and emailed them. They called me back. I told them I had gone to Tuffy Automotive and they said I would need a new fuel pump but I didn't wan't to pay the price after paying for a diagnostic. Chevy want's me to take it to them again to pay a diagnostic so they can tell me the same problem. When I asked how this could possibly benifit me they said they needed to make sure of the problem before they could assist me. So long story short they want even more money from me to tell me something I already know and to let me know it is not under warranty.

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 132010

Trailblazer

I purchased this vechile a year and a half ago. It started in October the gas gage started going crazy. One minute it read right and then the next it read empty. Now the gas light and check engine light stays on constantly. I have asked around and everyone tells me that it's the fuel gage and sensor. They need replaced. But the problem is that is going to cost $800-$1000. That is crazy. I think that Chevy/GM knows that this is a problem for a long time and will not do a recall. I know this I will never buy another GM car.

- , Columbus, Ohio, USA

Jul 012010

Trailblazer LS EXT 4.2L I6

OK, like nearly everyone else on here, one day the gas gauge works fine, the next it reads empty after filling it up. It jumped around for a few days like a dying animal grasping for it's last breath before finally giving up and never moving again. As a bonus, the check engine light now comes on randomly to let me know the fuel gauge isn't working. Who designed this thing, Microsoft?

Serious problem? No. Pain in the ass? Yes. Why? Because, I now have to use the trip meter to "guess" when the truck needs filling up. Since it's going to cost me several hundred dollars I don't have to fix (If I had the extra money to spend fixing this POS, I would have bought a better quality vehicle in the first place), I'll just have to live with it.

Now comes the point where I really get pissed off at General Motors (this happens to the GMC Envoy too, so it's not just a Chevy issue). In Massachusetts, like many other states, they do an emissions test by plugging into the vehicle's computer. Well, since the check engine light has come on, the computer says "Not Ready" and the vehicle fails the test. You have to wait until the light goes off and then drive about a week before the computer resets itself. However, without fail, the light always comes back on just before taking it back to get reinspected, thus resetting the whole process. I've had this happen for the last 3 weeks in a row regardless of number of days/miles driven. Another week and another tank of gas wasted.

Yes, I know it's an easy fix for the do-it-yourselfer, and if it wasn't January in New England where the average temp is below freezing, I would be fixing the problem myself. However, I don't have a heated garage to work in. So, in order to get the car to pass inspection I either have to get real lucky with the check engine light or have the repair made. Either way, I will (not maybe) be selling this vehicle and replacing it with ANYTHING not made by General Motors.

- , Templeton, MA, USA

Jun 012010

Trailblazer

I did not realize so many other people were having the same problem with their fuel gauge,i have ran out of gas a few times and with the kids and grandkids in the vehicle.It started as saying it was on empty then you would turn the engine off turn it back on and i think it would read right ,then it stayed on empty with light on,and of course i did not purchase the extra warranty and do not have the extra money to get it fixed...especially when you can't just buy the sensor you have to buy the whole fuel pump!!!Recall it !!!

- , South Solon, Ohio, USA

Nov 072010

Trailblazer 4.2L

Fuel gauge would not work right it would go to empty then to full wile driving. Went to car parts warehouse for a new fuel pump it ran about 280.00 plus tax. GM wanted 400.00 for theirs. The float that is built in the factory fuel pumps are crap. The tank had to come down to change the pump and no you do not need the special wrench to get the fuel pump locking ring of part #J-45722. All you need is a screwdriver and a hammer. The only trouble with the whole job was those stupid GM compression locks,six fittings in total, four in the back and two in the front. Some of the horseshoe clips snapped in half and no the big auto parts stores don't stock spares. I had to reuse the horseshoe halves with a wire tie around the compression lock to hold the halves in place this is a simple and easy fix. After the fuel tank was back up in the truck the fuel gauge now works like it should. Hope this page helps anyone with the same problems. I don't think it is that hard of a job for your normal do it your selfer,with a friend lending a hand.

- , Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Jan 152009

Trailblazer LS I6

So many people have had this problem with their vehicles. I can not believe that Chevy will not recall these vehicles and repair them. I was told that to repair this it would cost at lease $700.00. That's highway robbery.

- , Okeechobee, Florida, USA