CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 012011

Trailblazer

Initially the fuel gauge began fluctuating and working intermittently. Then, it stopped working all together. It always says the vehicle is on empty with the gas light and the check engine light staying on 90% of the time. This is very frustrating because if there were a problem with the engine, I would have no way of knowing whether the light is on due to the fuel sensor or because of another more serious issue. I also must rely on the "trip meter" to determine my fuel level. I have found this is a very common problem with these vehicles and would hope Chevy would take responsibility.

- Colora, MD, USA

Nov 162012

Trailblazer

On November 16,2012 I stopped to get gas. After getting gas my low fuel light was on and the fuel gauge registered as if the vehicle was out of gas. Having known better I started the vehicle which hesitated to start. It finally started but sputtered its way out of the gas station. As I finally cleared the gas station the vehicle stalled and came to a complete stop without any warning and I was hit from behind.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Nov 092012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The truck has been at a several times into a chevorlet dealer, the check engine light the reduced engine light and the traction control lights all come on at the same time and it causes a failure in which the vehicle losses 90% of power. The failure happens at random time and all weather and traffic conditions. I have had it at two dealers as well have contacted GM executive dept. They have claimed to be fixed several times but it still fails. The issue at hand is that in traffic conditions this failure proves to be a huge safety hazard for myself and other drivers on the road. Its not a used car issue as its an electrical failure issue. I have asked time and time again to have a GM field tech come look at the car but, they insist that the dealer fix it. I need someone more to see and understand the failure comes with at great risks of other drivers on the road. If you goggle this problem you will see others have the issue and I think its worth a recall if they can find a fix for it but after 3 years and several tries they are still unable to fix the issue.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Nov 072012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My fuel gauge on my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer just stopped working. One day was good with half a tank and the next day I went to turn it on, the fuel gauge read empty. Now the fuel gauge at times tells me I have full tank then empty then half a tank etc.

- Cicero, IL, USA

Oct 012012

Trailblazer

Fuel system sending unit appears to have failed. Fuel gauge swings erratically, and has no relation to the actual fuel level in the tank. Check engine light came on due to signal from faulty fuel sending unit. As a result, vehicle ran out of fuel on the highway during rush-hour. Upon investigation, it appears that there has been a previous investigation by the NHTSA that has been closed. Chevrolet has agreed to pay for 1/2 of the cost of repair. Unacceptable. I request that you reopen your investigation, and make Chevrolet take responsibility for this issue. This is a definite safety issue, as running out of fuel on a busy highway can be a potentially life-threatening event. I never received any notification that this was an issue, although some owners are claiming to have received a letter from GM.

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Sep 032012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The gas gauge is erratic and stays on empty most of the time.

- Pikeville, KY, USA

Sep 092009

Trailblazer

Don't have the exact dates and miles but I have had 2 instances where my gas gauge stopped working after filling up. First time I had the issue fixed at the Chevy dealership while under warranty, then maybe a year later it broke again. I have not gone to fix it. Due to the gauge never showing gas in the vehicle my check engine light comes on. I drive about 200 miles until I go and fill which would be around 1/2 a tank. I cannot go on long trips as I would never know where I am on gas. One time breaking I can see since this appears to be a well known issue with the vehicle, but a 2nd time after the dealership replaced it seems like really faulty parts or dealership errors. I have been quoted between $300-$500 to fix the problem but not by a Chevy dealership. I have many issues where I purchased this Trailblazer. I don't know if Chevy would fix this again at their cost and I would hope this becomes a recall after nearly 1,000,000 complaints.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Sep 022012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I start the car and the gas gauge shows that I have a full tank of gas, as I start driving the gauge will suddenly go to the empty line and start dinging that I have no fuel. Once it showed that I had a half a tank of gas, but then I suddenly ran out. I was stuck on the side of the road with my two children until help arrived. This gauge problem has happened daily since day one. I am now relying on my trip meter to know how much gas I have. I like this vehicle but if this continues with no help from Chevy/ GM I will be forced to trade this car in!

- Carson City, NV, USA

Sep 222012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Immediately after filling up, my 2006 tbss fuel gauge stopped working. I fill up with non-ethanol gas premium grade. The low fuel message appears on the dash along with the needle sitting on empty and the low fuel light remains on. I have read over 250 complaints of the same problem.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Dec 032010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Gas gauge began to malfunction in December. It would go from full to empty every once in a while. Over time it got worse and worse, until now, where it does not work at all.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Apr 102012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without any warnings. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnose that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 9,500 and the current mileage was 9,700.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Jul 052010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Gas gauge showing more fuel than in tank....I ran out of gas....car shut off in traffic. Gas gauge would float from full to empty and stop along the way, so you did not know how much fuel you had. Then it just stopped working all together.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 062012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 30 mph, the low fuel warning light began to illuminate however, the contact stated that the fuel tank was full. The vehicle was taken to two different independent auto mechanics who both stated that the fuel gauge was defective. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 152012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Recently, I filled my gas tank & low fuel light warning displayed and low fuel light came on. Since then the check engine light is on steady (not blinking) most of the time. The fuel gauge floats back and forth never really letting you know it's true status. The dealers and public know about this issue- yet Chevy refuses to take responsibility and fix the product. It is frustrating & nerve wracking to never know how much fuel you have at any given time, as well as the constant warning lights/ chimes during driving. This is the second serious issue I have had with this vehicle- just a month before had to repair safety issue of stabilitrak turning on at random, after twice it slowed my vehicle- without warning- on the thruway from 55 mph to about 20 mph. I had documentation of 4 trips to dealer for this concern within the first year of ownership but "the computer doesn't show a problem" so 5 years later I finally had the code show up after a close call almost accident. This concern is all over the internet as well & even with contacting Chevrolet & the nys attorney general they still only covered half the cost of the repair. Chevrolet needs to take responsibility for the safety of their products and obviously will not unless recalls are mandated- I urge you to do just that. Thank you

- Youngstown, NY, USA

Jul 122012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Rear brake lights keep going and having to change them bi weekly.

- Torrance , CA, USA

Jul 112012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The problems just began with my car with the gas gauge working intermittently and with in 2 weeks I had to change the drivers side taillight which was not only burned out but the housing was melted to the bulb. Next within a weeks time I was in the drive thru getting food and all the gauges just flashed and the car died. Upon trying to restart it several times the lights flashed off and on; the doors locked and unlocked themselves and their was not even enough power to call onstar. Check fuses found no problems. Still waiting diagnosis and getting it fixed.

- Enid, OK, USA

Mar 062012

Trailblazer

The gas gauge stopped working completely and now the check engine light is on. This has been a problem with several other Trailblazers of the same year. The fuel sensor is bad in this model, I have taken it to a mechanic who told me the check engine light is also due to this. I have ran out of gas a few times due to the fuel gauge not working. I think this should be an issue that would be a recall. It is an expensive fix and the consumer should not have to pay for this to be fixed!!!!

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Jul 052011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Slowing for a stop sign. Engine stopped. Fuel gauge showed 1/4 tank. Fuel gauge inaccurate. Had it changed ($450), sending unit in fuelpump. July 1,2012.same thing. Repairs were less by $175 because the shop I deal with (I am a good customer) felt I needed a break, and did not charge to replace it the second time. When we picked the vehicle up the ac / vent does not open for the dash ports. All other ports, ie floor, defrost, work somewhat. This morning the whole blower quit. I went out this afternoon and the blower again blows, but not the dash vents....argggggggg is there any solution?

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Apr 202012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that at engine start up, the fuel gauge indicated empty and the vehicle stalled while traveling 50 mph. The fuel gauge continued to indicate empty after refueling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 84,000 and the current mileage was 89,000.

- West Lake, OH, USA

Jun 012006

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge would not display the proper fuel level reading. As a result, the vehicle stalled while driving 60 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the fuel system was repaired. The failure recurred approximately five years later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for repair. The contact also stated that the control panel on the front driver's side, which controlled the windows, was not functioning. The contact also smelled a burning odor when she attempted to control the windows. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 10,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Gary, IL, USA