CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 282009

Trailblazer

2006 Chevy Trailblazer, fuel level sensorlocatedin the gas tank has failed@roughly 56,600 miles. Found numerous complaints of the same on the internet. Given the millions of dollars given to GM they should be directed to deal with known short comings in their product.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Trailblazer

I hit a bump one day and the interior light popped on for a second and then went off. I eventually realized the rear door was not latching at all, I tinkered with it, tried some wd-40, it does work intermittently, but is getting to the point where its not latching the majority of the time. The 3 bolts holding the locking mechanism and the point where the lock with latch do show signs of corrosion. It appears the 2003 Trailblazers had this same issue and eventually there was a recall. At 38,000 miles I also had the fuel gauge issue and the fuel sending unit is bad.

- Pennellville, NY, USA

Mar 122009

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge is erratic and no longer accurately measures the tank contents.

- Hampton, IA, USA

Mar 062009

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge is not working correctly. Says empty (with the light on right after a fill-up) and fluctuates between empty and full between fills.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Mar 012009

Trailblazer

No warning-- filled up gas tank with 19 gallons- no warning light and not below orange line-- warning light comes on and gas gauge reads empty; then reads erratically-- have to drive and get gas based on trip odometer; took to repair shop told was ascending unit and fuel pump will cost anywhere from $700 to $1,100 to repair; apparently this happens with 2006 Trailblazers between 40,000 & 50,000 miles (ours is at 57,000) --told will happen again at 100,000 miles-- have not had repaired waiting until can come up with to fix or completely quits working.

- Lake Saint Louis, MO, USA

Feb 162009

Trailblazer

Gas gauge is on empty all the time regardless of how much gas is in the tank. Had it fixed at the dealer at 25,000 miles now it is happening again at 50,000.

- West Islip, NY, USA

Jan 122009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. After filling up the vehicle with fuel, the contact noticed that the fuel gauge failed and displayed that the tank was empty. The "low fuel" and check engine indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Due to the failure, the contact must always write down the amount of gas he purchases in order to estimate when the vehicle needs to be refueled. The dealer stated that the fuel gauge sensor failed and would cost $400 to repair. The vehicle has not been repaired or inspected by a technician. The manufacturer stated that the failure was not covered under warranty; therefore, no compensation would be provided. The failure mileage was 48,000 and current mileage was 49,600.

- Palmer City, PA, USA

Trailblazer

I bought my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer in January 2008. Right now, it has about 44,000 miles on it. Two month ago, the fuel gauge completely stopped working. It always displays that the tank is totally empty and the fuel light is on, no matter if I just filled up the tank. I did research on the internet and have seen that this is a very widespread defect that has affected a large number of people. The mechanic I took the truck to says that it will be about $800 to fix...that is unacceptable. I want Chevy to issue a recall on this vehicle and fix the defect that obviously is their fault. It isn't a coincidence that this same problem is happening to so many other people.

- Utica, NY, USA

Trailblazer

Gas gauge stopped working correctly at 38K miles. Fuel sending unit is bad.

- Pennellville, NY, USA

Dec 252008

Trailblazer

I recently bought a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer from a local used car lot. Two months after my fuel level gauge went out I searched to see if anyone was having the same problem and how to fix it I made many call to GM to see if there was a recall on this part because so many was having the same problem throughout America my mother ask to drive my car I have not fixed the problem I explain to my mother the problem with the car you can't tell how much gas is in your car anyway long story short she ran out of gas on the interstate and pull on the wrong side a car smash into her from the back this is why GM is asking for money and non american car makers is singing we need to make GM recall these half made cars could you please put a mandatory recall on the 2000's Chevy Trailblazers thank you in advance.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 082008

Trailblazer

2006 Trailblazer, gas gauge light stays on no matter how much gas is in the tank. Seems like an on going issue with Chevy Trailblazers between 30K - 60K miles, cost $600 - $800 to repair, should be something covered by Chevy if there are so many complaints regarding this issue. I use the trip odometer, however, I have ran out of gas, which could have lead to varies dangerous/life threatening events. Chevy should recall this, before they face a major lawsuit based off something going terribly wrong because of a defective product.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Nov 022008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. In addition, the fuel gauge dropped to zero intermittently. The dealer stated that the electric fuel sending unit was defective. The contact was concerned with a shortage that could possibly cause a fire or safety hazard. The estimated repair costs would be between $600-$800. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 36,000 and current mileage was over 36,500. Updated 02/18/09.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Jan 142009

Trailblazer

Last night I filled my tank up; originally the indicator was on the last line before empty. When I turned my car on after filling the car up completely, the indicator on the fuel gauge went below the empty symbol and the low fuel light came on. I drove the car home and continued to check it through the evening. The tank read empty and the low fuel light was on every time I checked it, but no other lights came on. This morning the indicator was still below the empty symbol, the low fuel light was on, and now the check engine light came on. While driving to work the indicator fluctuated between full and empty. At lunch, 4 hours later, when I turned the car on the indicator was at full. However, after driving 2 miles, it went down completely to empty and the low fuel light can on again. After doing research on the internet this morning I found out that this problem was most likely a fuel sensor problem and that there were many other complaints. All complaints having a fuel gauge problem involved 2005 or 2006 Chevy Trailblazers that have reached mileage of 44,000-53,000 miles. When I called the Chevy dealership where I bought the car I was told that I was correct, that this was most likely a fuel sensor problem. I was told that this was not a problem that Trailblazers have, it was a problem that all new cars have, because there are so many electronic components in new cars and that they fail. It would cost a minimum $800-900 to fix. My car is barely 3 yrs old (2006 model bought used with 10,000 miles in June 06) and has 51,900 miles on it.

- Denver, CO, USA

Dec 282008

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge reads empty and/ or sends random levels after refueling.

- Marysville, CA, USA

Nov 152008

Trailblazer

Filled fuel tank approx. 1 month ago and fuel gauge started fluctuating. Shows empty and light remains on 90% of the time. It has never worked properly since that time. Went to Chevrolet dealer where purchased and was told there is no service bulletin showing a problem. Stated fuel tank sending unit probably bad. Fuel tank has to be removed. Price ranges for repair between $800 and $1100. Have decided not to get fixed due to cost and research showing this is a very common problem Chevrolet is having. Temporarily correcting problem by filling fuel tank every 250 miles.

- Trenton, IL, USA

Aug 012008

Trailblazer

I just bought my used 2006 Chevy Trailblazer a few months ago, and almost immediately began having problems with my fuel gauge. Everytime I would fill up, the gauge would malfunction and read empty. The low fuel light would come on and the chime would alert for low fuel. Eventually, after driving several miles, the gauge would begin working correctly. However, the problem has gotten increasingly worse over the past few months. Sometimes the gauge would not correct itself at all, and often the check engine light would also come on. More recently the fuel gauge rarely corrects itself and I have to constantly keep track of my mileage and "guess" when I need a fill up. Upon researching this problem online, I've discovered that there are an alarmingly large number of GM owners who have experienced this same problem! supposedly, the repair requires a new fuel pump, sensor, etc. Of course, since the tank has to be dropped, this means a high labor rate as well. Most people report a cost of approx $800 to correct this problem! luckily, my vehicle is still under manufacturer warranty, but with the outrageous number of owners with this issue, GM should be required to step up and take responsibility! a recall definitely seems to be in order!

- Lititz, PA, USA

Dec 142008

Trailblazer

Have a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer lt with 39,000 miles with a faulty fuel gage, it is fine until you fill the vehicle then it will show empty.

- Campbell, OH, USA

Dec 052008

Trailblazer

Earlier this year on complaint #10225267, I reported that our 2006 Trailblazer gas gage stop working and the engine light came on. Our dealer said they fixed it. A few months later thee engine light came on again, took it back to the dealership, they said they couldn't find anything wrong and erased the error. This week in again the engine light came on and the Blazer is at the dealership again. When is GM/Chevrolet going to fix this problem. I know for every complaint on this site there are many silent Trailblazer owners who are going through these some fuel gage and engine light problems.

- Tulare, CA, USA

May 112008

Trailblazer

After having my vehicle for one year, the fuel gauge suddenly became erratic. When fuel was near empty, it would read "full" or "half full". the engine repair light would go on and off inconsistently during the same time. I thought it might be the quality of gasoline, but trying different brands did not help. Within a few months, no matter how much fuel was in my tank, the gauge would read "E" for empty, with the needle never moving from E. the yellow light and "dinging" sound ring a lot letting me know I am supposed to be out of fuel, but am not. This is the case even with a full tank of gas. It is a safety hazard because I have to reset my tripometer when filling up on a new tank of gas, so I know about 250 miles, I need to fill up again. If I don't do this, I could run out of gas, cause a crash, or a fatal accident since my gauge always reads empty. I have read many blog and complaints about the fuel gauge on the Trailblazer and other Chevrolet vehicles. Mine is a 2006 with currently less than 24,000 miles on it, and at the time of occurrence, about $21,000 miles. I understand the repair and parts will be about $800. For such a young vehicle with low mileage, how can this be? there needs to me a recall with so many people having the same problem.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

May 052008

Trailblazer

I have seen the news when the 5 high school seniors in New York, May 2008 I believe, were killed and then just 3-4 weeks ago, Oct 2008, the news reported a young mother was killed out West. Both accidents involved a front end collision and both where mid-size GM SUVS (Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Buick rainer). Both accidents resulted in fires and deaths. The news reported the fire was to intense to attempt a rescue in the New York case. In the case out West, the young mother's two children were rescued, but to the intense fire she was unable to be rescued. I would like to know if there have been any other complaints or comments on this or if it was ever reported to this Agency. I have a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer as my main vehicle and would not want it to have some unknown defect that may cause my or any member of my family a loss of life. Thank you for any information you can provide.

- Kathleen, GA, USA