2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system NHTSA complaints: Fuel System, Gasoline

NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 22)

Dec 312013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fuel gauge reads empty when filled up. Then the fuel indicator will go from empty to full to anywhere between.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Feb 052010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel sensor stop working... even if you fill the tank, fuel gauge will read empty at all times. I have ran out of gas in the middle of the road with my grandchild in the truck. I took it to a dealer, they said they will not cover the cost. I took it again with a letter from others mechanics stating it the fuel sensor on the check engine light, however the dealership will not replace. The want to charge me $900. Chevy needs to get this fix...

- South Ozone Pk, NY, USA

Aug 042008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I just want to get some information out there on my experience: Battery replacement seem ways too often 8/2008, 10/2010, 9/2013 - and there is no notice until you cannot start it one day. First thing to go was the idle pulley. I have had the water pump/thermostat/belts replaced multiple times 50K, 60K, 87K. Headlights and tail lights replaced at least 3 times each. I have had to clean the throttle block plate multiple times or the TB will stall when the brake is applied or heat/ac on. I have come to find out that there are many non-oem parts which I never replaced (I purchased used w/17K miles) and nothing showed up on car fax or other reports about accidents or repairs. I had the gas guage/tank/float repaired while it was under warranty still and then a year later it broke again, and I am still riding with it broken (at least the last 5 years), which of course keeps my check engine light on nearly all the time. I just located the notice that GM is now doing 100% of the repair and I will be making an appointment to get it fixed as I will not pass inspection and I never know how much gas I have. I fill every 200 miles. There are other minor issues such as interior lights going out, both of the front seats have detached from the side molding (only 1 little screw holds them in), the rear washer has not worked in about 6 years. I also have loud noises coming out of the tires/wheels and no one can determine an exact cause, but it's not the brakes or rotors or anything like that. I currently have under 89K miles. I am waiting for the door electrical system to go next as that seems like what is next on the list of TB issues.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Nov 012012

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge does not work and vehicle is at times losing fuel pressure.

- Troy, NY, USA

Nov 152013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

For months I have been having issues with my vehicle. It was taken in to Chevrolet for a recall repair and now it seems to have all sorts of problems! my fuel gauge in the tank is no longer working, my A/C was working one day but not the next, the check engine light turns on and off, it's dumping fuel, the thermostat had to be replaced...when do the problems end? now come to find out after having my blower motor replaced the connector for the electrical has had a little bit of melting issue which potentially could have caught fire!!! of course General Motors wants and arm and a leg to replace it!!!! I don't think I will ever buy another Chevy again, this is ridiculous! if it had caught fire which I am sure if people can't afford or don't get their vehicles properly checked there will be one that happens to, it could kill someone! seems like a liability waiting to happen!

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Jun 202013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This is to report a defect that is a safety issue with the fuel sensing system. This is to document my claim for recall purposes. There have been two incidents, but I am reporting the first incident to keep this report short. While I was driving the fuel indicator showed about full, then all of a sudden, it dropped to less than empty and my fuel light engaged. As I was driving to get to the nearest gas station, the engine stopped while I was driving in traffic. Luckily, I was in a position to let the vehicle roll around a corner. It was in a dangerous place just as cars were completing the turn. I put the emergency flashers on and exited the vehicle. I was fortunate to be able to get out of the car before an accident could occur. It was also fortunate that my vehicle didn't cause an accident that could have hurt someone besides myself. The other reason why this is a safety concern, is I have a rare medical condition that affects my lungs and heart. It placed me in a potentially dangerous position to heat exposure. I have a hard time breathing in heat and humidity. Again, fortune was on my side, and there was a tree for shade to wait for help and it was one month before it got dangerously hot. Granted, there is always a chance anything could happen to a car that could potentially place me in the same position, but in this case, another occurrence occurred and when I called a local mechanic, it was well known that has been an issue with the fuel sensor. Upon further research, I am among many that has made this complaint and placed in dangerous predicaments. To replace a small sensor costs a whole months income in my case. I do not feel it is appropriate to require a consumer to pay and replace a defective component that is a safety issue. It is my intent this ongoing investigation comes to a close, as I have seen reports since 2011.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 112013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

After starting the car, I watched the half tank fuel gauge drop to empty. I went to fill up the tank and it didn't take but about a half a tank. The gauge still show empty and warning low fuel was on. Soon the engine light came on after driving a short distance. The fuel gauge continues to show empty.. the tank is full.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jul 012013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Just filled gas tank at service station. When restarting the engine the fuel gauge read empty and hasn't changed.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Jun 242013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My 2006 Chevy Trailblazer has been having difficulties with the fuel gage. No matter how much gas I put in the gage shoots to over full, then within a day goes to empty and warning light goes on. I called my dealership as my car's warranty expired 6 months ago, and was told it was problem the gas tank unit or sender and that it could cost up to $1000 to fix. After doing some research I come across several other complaints to this same effect and GM is only willing to pay for 50% of the repair costs. My vehicle only has 43,000 miles and is in perfect condition with regular maintenance. There should be a recall on this item ad GM should be responsible for full payment of repairs.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

May 112012

Trailblazer

The fuel gauge has stopped working, my research shows that is a big problem, it shows empty all the time.

- Oneonta, AL, USA

Sep 112012

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the driver side window started opening and closing independently. In addition, the side mirror started moving forward and backward independently and without activation. After parking the vehicle, the engine would shut itself off and the entire electrical system would become inoperable. Also, none of the doors could be unlocked and the failure would recur for several minutes before the contact would be able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who advised that the power window module was defective, causing all of the electrical system to become inoperable. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V406000: (electrical system) but her VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who confirmed that the contact's VIN was not included in the recall, offering no further assistance. The failure mileage was 71,000. Updated 10/10/12 updated 10/10/2012

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Sep 222011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fuel gauge read 3/4 of a tank so we did not stop to get gas, thinking we had enough to get home. 3min later we ran out on the hwy with 4 children in the car 2 that are under the age of 2.

- Morrow , OH, USA

Oct 042011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The gas gauge does not work and is a safety concern. The first time this occurred was at the gas station after I filled up. Over the past 8 months it became worse and now it stays on empty even with a full tank. I purchased this car used from a BMW dealer just last July. I have researched online and have seen where this is a very common problem among Chevy Trailblazers that may involve a fuel sensor.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Nov 162011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge displayed an empty reading even though fuel was present in the fuel tank. The contact received a notice from the manufacturer stating that they were aware of the failure. The manufacturer also stated that the fuel sensor needed to be replaced before it completely failed. The contact also stated that this failure could lead to additional failures. The manufacturer offered to pay for half of the repair costs. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 62,000. Updated 07/13/12 updated 07/18/12

- Tallahasse, FL, USA

Apr 302012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Gas gauge fluctuates, filled gas tank, moments later it went down to empty (warning light and sound went off). This has happened for the past week. Prior to this the check engine would sporadically go off and on, probably an early indicator that there was a problem with the fuel gauge.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 012010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was defective and as a result, she was unable to tell the level of fuel in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel sensor and fuel pump needed to be replaced at a cost of $ $600. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who offered to pay for half of the repair costs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 108,000. Updated 06/26/12 the consumer stated she ran out of gas twice. Updated 06/27/11

- Gardner, KS, USA

Jan 092012

Trailblazer

Gas gauge stopped working for no apparent reason. Needle jumps from full to empty to half, etc. While driving. Unable to gauge how much gas is in the tank.

- Fort Plain, NY, USA

May 042012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was defective and would read empty when the fuel tank was full. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 88,000.

- Conway , MO, USA

Aug 212008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel gauge suddenly became inaccurate. Reads empty and chimes empty even when full. Since it happens intermittently, it has caused me to run out of gas more than once in past three years. Received blanket offer from manufacturer to cover half of the expense, so they know it is an issue, but should be a total recall for safety.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Everytime I would fill up the car, it would go to E with the light on and now it stays on empty. Can't tell how much ga is in it. It should be a Chevrolet recall since it is happening to a lot of Chevrolet owns.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA