Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jan 082015

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving down the road at night close to my house when the low beam headlights went off completely. I tried switching them on and off with the switch to no avail, but found that the high beams do work. There were many instances in the past where I was driving at night and thought that the lights had flickered, but wasn't completely sure until this happened. I called my local Chevy dealer today, and the woman told me that she could not find a recall or even a technical service bulletin after I told her the problem I was having.

- Port St Lucie , FL, USA

Jan 032015

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving down the road after dark, in fairly busy traffic and all of a sudden I had no headlights, the low beams are not working.. I quickly pulled over to check but still no headlights.. luckily no one was hurt but the situation was very dangerous. Have there been others with this same problem? thank you!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 222014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving on a freeway at night the low beam headlights suddenly went out. I was unable to get them to come on again and had to drive 15 miles in traffic with the high beam lights on. I checked the lamps, sockets, fuses and wiring. No problems were found, so I replaced the low beam headlight relay. The low beam lights continue to intermittently fail. After parking the car the headlights begin working again. The dealer and GM say there is a recall in the works for some 2006 Trailblazers, but my VIN is not included. GM needs to expand this pending recall to cover all affected vehicles.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 242007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate the low beam headlights shut off. We pulled over as it was nighttime and turned on the high beams. A few minutes later we were able to use the low beams again. This has happened repeatedly since then. Just once in awhile until recently. Just last night, July 09, 2014; they turned off at least eight times going to and from church which is about 7 miles from my home. This is a very dangerous and scary thing to happen. We mentioned it to the dealership awhile back and they said unless it was happening right at this moment they wouldn't be able to find out the problem. I love my vehicle, except for the electrical issues (lights, wipers, stereo, etc.). please help!

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Jul 082014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Blazer. The contact stated that the headlights and the brake light would illuminate intermittently. The contact stated that while at a stop light, she noticed that there was smoke coming inside the vehicle from the vents. The contact removed the key from the ignition but the vehicle failed to power off. Eventually, the vehicle powered off but restarted independently. The vehicle revved for approximately five minutes and shut off independently. The contact discovered that the fuse box caught fire. The contact distinguished the fire. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 159,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 212014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the headlights would turn off and on intermittently. The contact mentioned that on a different occasion, the low beam lights failed to turn off causing it to over heat and catch on fire. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the relay switch was defective. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage 101,000.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jun 012013

The summer of 2013 I had it brought to my attention that my driver side brake light would fail to light up as the brake was applied. I tried changing the bulb but that proved to not be the problem as it still failed to light up. The following summer the same thing happened with the passenger side brake light. I am unsure if it is an electrical problem or a sensor that has gone bad. I can only assume that it is an electrical problem due to the fact that the back windshield wiper stopped working due to electrical issues.

- Waite Park , MN, USA

Apr 072014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The low beam relay switch went out which made my headlights totally go out. No one could see me and I could not see the road.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

May 252012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving, my headlights will intermittently turn off on their own. This does not happen frequently but has occurred several times per month for about 3 months duration. I had experienced this same event about 6 times before contacting GM directly. I contacted GM directly due to the fact that I consider this problem to be a safety issue. This vehicle is equipped with automatic headlights which turn on when darkness is detected. This automatic activation cannot be overridden with manual controls when the headlights turn off unexpectedly. I attempted to pull over and manually turn the headlights back on without resolution. I attempted to turn off the vehicle's ignition and restart the engine without resolution. Nothing I could do would make the headlights turn back on. The headlights seem to have a mind of their own and will eventually turn back on but this is completely random, sometimes taking a few minutes or maybe up to 20 minutes. A certified GM service center claimed the issue to be with the body control module and provided an estimate for replacement. I elected to not have the dealer replace the body control module for a significant amount of money. I instead started searching for another solution. I turned to the internet and found that this same issue has been reported on this make of vehicle since at least 2002 continuing until the late 2000's. GM informed me over the phone that they had not heard of this issue before. The certified GM service center claimed that they have not heard of this issue before. A simple google search will tell you a different story. I ultimately followed the direction of a youtube video which directed me to replace a relay located on the vehicle's fuse plate. The cost of the part was approximately $30. My headlights are working again. In my opinion GM should issue a recall for this part and not the body control module.

- Van Dyne, WI, USA

Mar 202013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My low beam headlights will just turn off while driving at night, but the high beams will continue to work. Very scary at night, I almost went into the ditch the first time it happened. They do come back on after a cool down period. Replaced the relay, but continues to just turn off at times. While researching this online, I found this to be a common problem with the Trailblazer.

- Pickford, MI, USA

Jan 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the headlights and the heating system failed intermittently. The dealer replaced the battery and alternator however, the headlight and heating system continued to fail intermittently and without warning. The failure mileage was 700 and the approximate current mileage was 57,000.

- Franklyn, IN, USA

Oct 192012

To whom it concerns, needed to report this since I believe this is a great safety problem that needs to be addressed by GM. The issue is with the low beam headlights. On my vehicle its only the passenger headlight. If you search online you can find others that have same issue but with both low beams go out whenever without notice. Very dangerous on dark roads. I've had my headlight fixed many times myself and than gave up and took to where I bought vehicle. What is happening is the bulb is making connector hot enough to melt to bulb so connector and bulb both need replace it may last a year most times not. There is definitely going to cause a fire before long. This could cause loss of life. I really need this important matter looked into and GM should have to correct this problem since it's a problem for lots of people.

- Chestertown, MD, USA

Oct 202008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

We were driving down the road and the headlights went out on dim. I still have the problem to this day and it happens when they are on dim or bright.

- Lafayette, TN, USA

Jun 012012

While driving during the day all of the speakers started going in and out. This has happened for the last year. As of now only the very front dash speakers are audible but very faint. The other issue we're having is at night the headlights will completely go out. We will immediately have to pull over and wait for the car to decide when the lights will come back on.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

May 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Headlamp relay, I have had to replace it twice in a matter of a year. It was completely melted and caused the headlights to stay on resulting in a dead battery. There is obviously an issue here, it could have started a fire and caused harm. I will be reporting this straight to Chevy too...

- Erie, PA, USA

Dec 072012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The SUV would not start in October 2012. I was told I needed a new battery, so I bought one right away. I drive the SUV very infrequently, maybe only 40 miles a week. On decmber 7, 2012 the headlights started to flicker while I was driving across the chesapeake bay bridge in Maryland. This was very concerning because it was getting dark out. I drove directly to a friend's house, and when I tried to park the SUV the lights would not turn off. Even after manually trying to turn off the lights and removing the key from the ignition, the lights would not turn off. Finally the lights went out, but the battery was dead when I tried to restart the SUV in the morning. We tried to charge the battery. This caused sparks by the fuse box and the lights inside the cabin began to turn off and on, even with the key out of the ignition. The headlights also started to flicker off and on and the doors locked an unlocked. I had the car towed back across the bridge to my local mechanic and was told I need a new battery. Obviously the battery is not the issue. I would like to know what GM intends to do about the faulty wiring in these models and how they are going to correct the issues related to the recall notice I received in October 2012. The recall number is 12180 and I think this current problem is related to it. I received the notice and it states the parts are not available at this time and to park the vehicle outside. I called and asked if it is ok to drive the SUV and was told "yes". since I must drive across a 5 mile bridge several times a week, I am concerned the truck will break down and cause an accident. I am also concerned a passenger or my pet dog could be injured.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Oct 132012

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 65 mph at midnight, the interior and exterior lights failed. The driver stopped the vehicle on the shoulder and shut the vehicle off. After restarting the vehicle, both interior and exterior lights illuminated normally. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000. Updated 11/29/12 the consumer stated the failure was the body control module. GM states they are unaware of any problem. Updated

- Newport News, VA, USA

Sep 012012

Having a problem with the vehicle RPM dropping while idling and the head lights flickering and sometimes shutting off. Check engine light come on and the code said it was the "idle air control valve" it only happens when the ac compressor is engaged. The problem seems to go away when the ac is turned off. Have not had it repaired yet because it's a fairly expensive part.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Oct 022012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated both headlights on the vehicle were inoperable. The vehicle was taken a mechanic who previously replaced the fuse within the fuse box; however, recently there was smoke coming out of the fuse box causing the failure to recur. The vehicle was not taken back to the mechanic or the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,008.

- Hugo, OK, USA

Jul 122012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Rear brake lights keep going and having to change them bi weekly.

- Torrance , CA, USA