CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Jun 012016

Trailblazer

Whilst driving on the highway the engine shut down and lost power steering. Had to pull over on the side of the highway. At high speeds this is troubling. The powertrain and check engine light came on. Waited several minutes and car would restart and be operable but would repeat. Mechanic determined a faulty computer known as the powetrain control module (PCM) or engine control module (ECM). This part was replaced and has fixed the problem.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 281016

Trailblazer

I spent over $1000 to have this problem fix, years ago, today 5/27/20016 I having the same problems. This truck is important to me and my kid. Turn the key and it want start, wait ten miniutes and try it again it starts, but while driving it the engine shuts down in traffic. Pull over to the side try to start it again sometimes it will start wright away no problem but other time it will take longer prolike the next day. The major concern is while I am driving with my son, the engine would shut down on the highway and local streets. Everytime this happen I am concern someone will rear end my truck and someone will be hurt. I try different mechanic the same problems. I needed help?

- Bethesda, MD, USA

May 022016

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 30 mph, the power steering failed without warning and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The contact noticed power steering fluid under the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V455000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jan 052016

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. After driving 55 mph, the contact noticed fluid leaking from the power steering. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V455000 (steering). The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V755000 (exterior lighting) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. VIN tool confirms part not available.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 122015

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering seized without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Elverta, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Trailblazer

When I make left or right turns the truck shuts off all the gauges read as normal except for the RPM's I loose power stearing and cannot exelerate it does not happen at an spacific time or place it is just random so I do not know when it may do this some days nothing happens other days it happens 2-4 times and it is a bit scarey when you are making a left turn especial I am not sure what this is or what is causing it but this I have had the battery and the alternater checked and other components checked out but they could not find anything and of course while the dealer had it did not do it so I am not sure but this is deffentley something that needs to be looked into like I say when I make turns I lose power, loose my stearing and the ablity to accelerate and all gauges read normal except the RPM's they are the only one that go down to zero

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 232015

Trailblazer

I was involved in an automobile accident out of state. I was traveling during the evening hours to try to avoid heavy traffic. I started having trouble with the dim lights and could only proceed using the bright lights. The next thing I realize is that I am unable to control the vehicle and struck another vehicle on the road. I then proceeded to slide down an embankment approximately 30 feet. My vehicle sustained enormous damage to the front and side of the vehicle. The front airbags did not deploy and my vehicle was deemed totaled by my insurer.

- Duson, LA, USA

Nov 232014

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 45 mph, the engine seized without warning. As a result, the vehicle lost all electricity and power steering. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 133,800.

- Troy, MI, USA

Oct 302014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 40 mph and all of a sudden I lost power in the vehicle. I had no acceleration, I lose power steering. Vehicle was still powered on but I could not pick up speed or steer vehicle. I had to pull over to the shoulder and cut off ignition then restart vehicle. Once restarted I had full functionality again. This has happened 4 times in the last 30 days. Vehicle has also started stalling when attempt to start up.

- Brandywine, MD, USA

May 012009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I am currently experiencing for the second time a power steering hose issue and after researching, I see that there was a recall for 2006 Chevy Trailblazers with this issue, however my VIN number is not listed. Will my vehicle be able to be covered under this recall too?

- Gary, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

When I was driving downhill on curvy road, I applied the brakes during a turn and the power steering had activated my anti-lock brakes. It kept happening on every turn and when I took my car to a shop they had to replace a steering angle sensor.

- Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Consumer states problem with brakes and traction control light illuminating. The consumer the ABS would activate when making right turns. Several components were replaced, but the consumer continued to experience problems. The blower resistor was replaced due to it only working on high. The engine light illuminated, the fuel sensor was not working, the heat was inoperative, there were noise/creaks coming from the steering wheel when driving slow and making turns, the power windows and heated seats stopped working, the fuel gauge was inaccurate, the 4-wheel drive switch had to replaced, the seat belt was difficult to fasten, the head lights and tail lights sockets burned out, the fan for the heater and defroster stopped working, the transmission would not down shift properly and eventually had to be replaced, the ignition switch didn't always work and the key would sometimes get stuck.

- Branson, MO, USA

Oct 012009

Trailblazer

None of the dash hands work.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Nov 252009

Trailblazer

(1) stability control was engaged while car was in motion and it was not necessary to stabilize the vehicle (SUV). Steering wheel position sensor replaced. (2) fuel tank always read empty. Fuel tank removed and replaced fuel sensors.

- Brigajntine, NJ, USA

Aug 172008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that she was experiencing an issue with the tie rod on the driver's side of the vehicle. The tire on the driver's side would shake uncontrollably if she accelerated more than 35 mph. The shaking would occur at 25 mph, but could be leveled out at approximately 30 mph. The manufacturer advised her to take the vehicle to the dealer and pay $100 for a diagnostic. The contact felt that the gesture was unreasonable. She received no assistance from the dealer because the vehicle was outside of the warranty. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 46,000 and failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Staton Island, NY, USA

May 042007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have had many many problems with my 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer most recently the transmission is bad, I had started complaining to the dealer about the transmission slipping at around 8,000 miles, the truck now has 17,000 miles on it. The dealer refuses to repair it under my warranty. The dealer will not cover the repair. The dealer told me I had to pay out of pocket. I was informed of this on 5/4/2007. I have had many many repairs done on this vehicle, something is not right. The dealer also refuses to fix the brakes, the dealer claimed to have repaired them 3,000 miles ago and told me that it is not possible for the brakes to be bad again, the dealer said I need rotors, pads, and they did replace a lt ft caliper that they found to be bad. The dealer will not replace the pads and rotors. The dealer has told me to pick my vehicle up. The vehicle is currently not in safe condition to operate on public highway, I informed the dealer that I will leave the truck there while I contact NHTSA and whoever else I find that will help me. If the dealer insist that I remove my vehicle, I will have it towed, I will not operate the vehicle on public highways, as it is not safe. I will now list some of the items most recently replaced. Also, ABS, check engine, and service 4WD lite was on and off since January 2007. The gas gauge malfunctioned. The instrument panel was replaced twice, also replaced the radio, front heater, rear heater, dvd player, both upper ball joints, brakes, ft wheel bearing, lt ft door control, ft calipers, some kind of bearing in the steering wheel. The front suspension still makes noise, rattles (the dealer cannot find the problem) there is more but this is what I remember right now without looking it up. The dealer also told me that it is not possible for so many things to be wrong and has accused me of changing parts over from another Trailblazer.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 302006

Trailblazer 4WD

We own a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer and since it had about 500 miles we started running into problems. The check engine light came on. Also the brakes make a whistling noise and Chevy insists that it is not the service bulletin they have posted up regarding the front axle making a whistling noise. Also, the vehicle has problems with the way it steers on turns. This car has to be defective if this many problems occurred since 500 miles. It now has 1400 miles.

- Cheswick, PA, USA