2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, there was a burning odor coming form the vehicle. The contact also stated that while driving, the driver's side window and door lock lost power causing the door to be unable to lock. The contact also stated that the headlights dimmed at night. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the window motor switch, the HVAC temperature control motor, and the rear locking assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and proposed a discount toward a new vehicle. The failure mileage was 50,000.....updated 04/15/16

- Pierpont, OH, USA

Feb 012015

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the driver side door window would not close and the door locks randomly locked and unlocked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical door mechanism was faulty and needed to be replaced. In addition, a burning odor was present inside the vehicle coming from the driver side dual climate control. The mechanic diagnosed that the temperature actuator was inoperable. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The contact also indicated that the liftgate would not open. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Piepont, OH, USA

Nov 042015

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While the vehicle was parked, the front passenger side window erroneously rolled down and an electrical burning odor was present inside the vehicle. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact discovered that the window switch was charred and melted. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 139,000.

- School Craft, MI, USA

Sep 262015

I recently started having problems, one being my brake lights don't always work. I took it to a local Chevy dealer and was told it all had to do with an electrical problem as is impossible to fix. Shouldn't my vehicle be recalled? I'm a safe driver and it's a bit upsetting knowing that I don't know if and when my break lights are working. Especially when I have small children with me. We recently moved, as my husband was following me, he was the one that noticed my brake lights weren't working.

- Boyceville, WI, USA

Sep 162015

On )9/16/15, I was driving my 2008 chev Trailblazer on the highway at 55mph and the ignition switch failed and the the vehicle rolled to a stop. It would not start again and was towed by glenn's towing service faribault mn 55021 to harry brown's service center faribault mn 55021. They replaced the ignition switch and charged $389.25. I'm concerned if they put in the same switch with a defect or one that has been improved to eliminate the defect as Chevrolet has been recalling ignition switches on other vehicles but not the Trailblazer. I was lucky I didn't get hit when the truck stopped.

- Faribault, MN, USA

Sep 092015

The driver door module does not work when it rains. I took this to a dealer and after they tested it told me it needed to be replaced $500. For part plus labor that they could not quote. I checked on line to find out if GM had recall on these vehicles and found that they did 2004 - 2007 mine is a 2008 experiences the exact issues that the others had but GM can't help me because my VIN # is not listed. Why did GM not try to help me with this issue" when over 184,000 vehicles where recalled for this issue. What do I need to do to see if I can get help to replace this" I wouldn't ask but I feel its only right to replace it after all those vehicles where recalled and mine is doing the exact same thing. It happens every time it rains apparently it leaks in the door some how and it gets wet and want work it controls seat heat, all door locks and windows and driver window. I purchased this vehicle used in 2014 and it has done it every since I have owned it by the time it gets back to the dealer its working again. Usually a day or so and it will work. This time its not working

- East Earl, PA, USA

May 052015

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the ignition was turned to the on position and there was smoke coming from the hood without warning. The contact turned the ignition back to the off position and opened the hood and discovered the head lamp driving module relay on fire. The contact extinguished the fire. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken dealer where it was diagnosed that the accessory board failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,471.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Feb 282014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Purchased this vehicle from a dealer. The next day the truck was dead. It has since had the battery replaced 3 times. The exhaust manifold cracked at 82,000. The number 4 position on the blower does not work. The stabiltrak lights come on for no reason and go off for no reason. With all of the complaints, something should be done.

- Walkerton, IN, USA

Feb 022015

While driving low beam lights shut off while driving at night. Will not come on now! this is a very dangerous situation for safety reasons. I am 73 years old and afraid to drive at night and also daytime with no daytime running lights. Please advise if there is a recall or solution so I can have dealer get it fixed. Loyal Chevrolet customer for 50 years that needs desperate help. Thank you! ## VIN passed ## Chevy Trailblazer LT2 2008 ##

- San Antoni, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Low beam lights went out. We replaced bulbs, they worked for a short time. Low beams went out two or three days later. Went to local garage, they replaced wire from battery to lights as they were not getting any power. Lights worked for two or three days. Trailblazer was in shop for a week, unable to find issue. Called Chevrolet dealership, at first they thought it was a 2007 which has a recall for the issue. Found it was a 2008, no recall. Found bad/burnt/exploded fuse labeled 15016745. Have found multiple other people with same issue online.

- Gilmanton, NH, USA

Dec 192014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Airbag light came on and had a bad impact sensor. Had to replace to pass inspection. SUV only 6 years old. Stability control light comes on every time I hit a bump in the road.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Nov 112014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While I was driving down the road, both curtain side air bags deployed at same time. There were no other cars on the road, so I was able to stop the vehicle without causing an accident. The airbag on the driver side pushed me over so hard that it broke my center console. My lower back still hurts, but I am hoping the pain will go away. My left ear is still ringing and has not returned to normal hearing yet caused from the exploding noise from the airbag deployment. Both of the front seat belts will not work and the dashboard has so many lights going off, I don't know if there are any other problems. The dealership that I purchased the vehicle from said the damages could run as much as $4000 which I do not have and my insurance doesn't cover this since there was no accident that caused this. The dealership service dept. Also said they have never heard of any vehicles doing this. After research, I see that this has happened alot.

- Waukee, IA, USA

Jan 022012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My fan blower quit working on some settings (0-5 available, only 1,2, and 3 make fan work). I bought a new blower resistor to replace it, and when I tried to disconnect the old one, I discovered what appeared to be an electrical fire had fused the harness to the resistor. I was able to break the harness away from the resistor, but two of the connectors on the harness are blackened, and the harness is partially melted away. When I hooked up the new resistor, 1,2,3, and 5 work, but 4 is still not operational. I believe 4 is not operational due to charring or melted plastic preventing connection from being made to one or both of the two charred connectors. First date of problem is estimated to be winter 2012, though it may have been a year or two earlier. My replacement of the resistor was 18 Oct 2014.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

May 102014

While driving on a steep downhill curvy mountain pass, the key got jerked into the off position. Luckily I quickly restarted the engine. This is very dangerous on roads with a sharp incline and/or decline as one would need to be able to brake and steer the car into a safe area.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jan 152014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated when the brakes were applied the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the ignition switch was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Jul 142014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The ignition switch has been acting like the ones that are recalled with the 05 - 07 model years. Our vehicle when you turn the ignition on it acts like its dead, even with no key in ignition you can turn switch a little and the gear selector light comes on as well as the battery light, and we have had two dead batteries from this.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Feb 102014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The electronic control module "fried" and caused the brakes to "fail" - specifically, the brake pedal needed to be pressed to the floor although it had little effect. This sounds very much like the failure seen in the recall #3: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu. The ECM failure also caused a short in the airbag sensor. (a repair was done on the brakes - but I am not sure it was needed except for the ECM problem based upon the description of the Malibu recall). The dot reference for this is: 656599.

- Richmond, KY, USA

May 242014

Trailblazer 8-cyl

On the 2008 Trailblazer, had two problems with the ignition switch. In April 2011 the tumbler mechanism portion of the ignition switch failed at approximately 27,225 miles and was replace under warranty. In May 2014 had difficulty starting the vehicle when the ignition switch was in the start position. Was able to start the vehicle and drive to the Chevrolet dealership. While waiting for the service technician, I moved the tilt steering wheel to a different position and the vehicle stopped running. This would have been an extremely dangerous situation under normal driving conditions. It was diagnosed that the electrical portion of the ignition switch had failed. The ignition switch was replaced. The approximate mileage was 71878.

- Prince Frederick, MD, USA

Apr 212014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While sitting the parked vehicle, with the key in ignition in the on position but engine off the dash began to pour smoke into the vehicle. Upon inspecting under the hood there were burned and melted wires leading to fuse box. Electrical fire occurred.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Jul 312008

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the ABS and stabilitrak warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the defect was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 10,779.

- Chandler, AZ, USA