2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Jan 242016

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 65 mph, the curtain air bags deployed without warning. In addition, a white substance emitted into the interior of the vehicle when the failure occurred. A police report was not filed. The contact was not injured. The insurance company inspected the vehicle and indicated that it was a manufacturer failure that needed to be investigated and repaired. The insurance company refused to repair the air bag failure. The manufacturer indicated that there was no potential defect with the premature air bag deployment. The vehicle was parked at the contact's residence due to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Waldridge, OH, USA

Jan 052016

Trailblazer

On a exit ramp (concrete) going about 30 mph when both side air bags unexpectedly deployed, brake pedal went all the way to the floor, no braking, pumping the brake corrected them and stopped the car. Brakes now seem normal. Both front seat belts are now locked. The car has no damage on the body or tires. G M has opened a case for us. Waiting their call back.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Sep 082015

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving, there was an abnormal noise coming from the driver side air bag. The abnormal noise was persistent. The contact also stated that the battery failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 37,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 152014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

During a left hand turn, the side airbags and front seatbelt deployed for no reason. After a complete diagnostic by GM they concluded the computer sensed a rollover and the air bags were deployed on command. Problem is that the tilt of the vehicle did not reach or exceed 20 degrees (only 2 degrees) and therefore the system should not have deployed. This was verified by GM's own report yet they denied anything was wrong.

- Los Ageles , CA, USA

Jan 182015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle lost control on black ice, the steering wheel and brakes locked up and the Trailblazer hit a tree.the airbag never deployed. The vehicle's frame was bent. The SUV was considered a total loss. The vehicle picked up a little more speed while on the ice, but no more than 30 mph.

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Nov 112014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While I was driving down the road, both curtain side air bags deployed at same time. There were no other cars on the road, so I was able to stop the vehicle without causing an accident. The airbag on the driver side pushed me over so hard that it broke my center console. My lower back still hurts, but I am hoping the pain will go away. My left ear is still ringing and has not returned to normal hearing yet caused from the exploding noise from the airbag deployment. Both of the front seat belts will not work and the dashboard has so many lights going off, I don't know if there are any other problems. The dealership that I purchased the vehicle from said the damages could run as much as $4000 which I do not have and my insurance doesn't cover this since there was no accident that caused this. The dealership service dept. Also said they have never heard of any vehicles doing this. After research, I see that this has happened alot.

- Waukee, IA, USA

Jun 232014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My son was driving the 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer lt when the following event occurred: While traveling at approx 35 mph on a straight, smooth city street the side curtain airbags deployed on my 2008 Chevy Trailblazer lt along with both front seat belts tightening and locking in place. There were no sudden abrupt maneuvers, no contact with any other objects... nothing!!!! it appears that this is a common problem with nothing being done about it... why"?"!!!

- Ridgeway, OH, USA

Aug 292013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My daughter traveling at approximately 55 mph, saw car in front of her stopped at a stop light. She attempted to slam on the brakes, it felt as if she was not stopping at all. She hit the stopped car, pushed both of our cars through the intersection to the other side. Her airbag did not deploy, onstar did not contact her. The reason I bought this specific car was for the onstar in case of a collision or emergency. When I contacted onstar later, they reported they did not receive notification that a collision had occurred. I contacted GM to have brake, airbag, and onstar failure investigated. Received report from GM investigator stating no failure in airbag system, that the crash was not significant enough to cause airbag deployment and onstar notification. She was traveling 45 mph upon impact (per cdr). The car was totaled - over $13,000 damage. If a crash at 45 mph, rear-ending, car totaled does not deploy airbags it seems as though something is wrong.

- Salem, OR, USA

Sep 092013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving on a straight section of a city street at only 30 mph both side curtain airbags deployed. I was startled but quickly looked around to see if I had hit anything or had been hit by another car. I was still moving forward and as soon as safely possible pulled the car over and got out to inspect what had happened. There was no collision with any other object or car and the airbags had deployed without warning. The airbag light had not been on and the car was driving normally. I called my insurance company and reported the incident and requested a tow. The insurance adjuster has since determined that since there has been no collision that the cause must be from a manufacturer's defect. The body shop has run the codes from the on board computer and they are B0051, B0058, B0062, B0065, B0070, and U7300. Except for the U7300 the rest are stating the obvious that the airbags and seat belt tensioners have deployed. This is a very serious safety concern because if I had been driving at highway speeds on a section of road that was curved I do not think that I could have maintained control of the vehicle.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

May 182013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Driving at 45mph and hit a pothole, both side curtain air bags deployed. Took to dealer and the tech said there is no damage to tires, wheels or suspension so that just doesn't happen. It will have to be an insurance claim because you were driving at the time. Talked to the service manager and he said there are scuffs on the tires and rims and it was enough jolt to set off the airbags so they were working as designed. It will have to be an insurance claim.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Apr 052013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The incident happened early in the morning on the way to work. As I was driving, I came to a red light and made my right hand turn like I always do. I started driving down the road, and my side airbags deployed on both sides. It scared me & my daughter so bad, and it caused me to swerve and hit the curb on the left side. Luckily there were no cars around me. I don't know why they deployed like they did. This is very dangerous!! it needs to be looked into by the factory!!!!!

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Feb 162013

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the two side curtain air bags deployed without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Somers, NY, USA

Feb 162013

Trailblazer

While driving straight at approximately 40 mph the side airbags deployed for no reason. As a result the seat belts no long function appropriately.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

May 242012

Trailblazer 8-cyl

On May 24, 2012- I was traveling out our mile long gravel driveway. Half way down the driveway the side curtain airbags on both sides deployed. There was no crash- they just came out. I contacted GM. They finally sent out a 3rd party investigator to investigate the vehicle. They determined that the vehicle had a roll-over event. The vehicle did not roll-over. GM told me that it was an insurance issue. Insurance company says it is a mechanical issue and was GM's problem to fix. At this time the vehicle still sits with both side airbags out and the front driver and passenger seatbelts are locked in place. Vehicle is not drivable.

- Reva, VA, USA

May 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The front passenger airbag does not always engage with an adult of 120 pounds sitting in it. The problem is intermittent, and changes while driving. I was told by Chevy and the dealership that I must sit properly in the seat. I always wear my seatbelt. I am 5'7' and weigh 120 lbs. If I cross my legs or put my feet close to the seat (rather than out in front of me) the airbag may or may not disengage. Often, the airbag does not engage even though I am sitting "properly." I was also told that they cannot correct this problem because they do not see a code. I should also sit closer to the front of the seat. This problem happened at about 32,000 miles and was fixed. Now I have about 62,000 miles on it and they cannot fix it. There is no recall or service bulletin, so apparently there is no problem. I feel this is a very dangerous situation and would like it looked into and resolved. Thank you very much.

- Reedsville, WI, USA

Mar 072009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 35 mph, the contact was involved in a head-on crash. The entire front end of his vehicle was crushed and the insurance company declared the vehicle as destroyed. The seat belts properly restrained the contact, but the air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries, but a police report was filed. The failure mileage was 6,500.

- Bluffton, IN, USA