2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 242010

Trailblazer EXT

Speedometer sticks at varying locations does not display accurate speed.

- Belmont, NH, USA

Aug 142010

Trailblazer EXT 4WD 8-cyl

2003 Chevrolet trailblazer - instrument cluster malfunction. Speedometer readings are erratic, fuel gauge is stuck above full level, water temperature gauge also has erratic readings. GM recalled the Suburban and Tahoe for this issue but not the trailblazer.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 172009

Trailblazer EXT

Chronic problem/failure of instrument gages/cluster relating to speedometer, temperature and oil pressure for a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer ext. For example, the speedometer will unexpectedly raise to an alarming speed reading while the vehicle is not actually traveling more than a few miles per hour. Dealer advises that this condition is not covered by any recall notice and GM is unwilling to provide any assistance to alleviate this serious and unsafe condition. Other GM vehicles have been recalled for this exact condition. Also, this vehicle has experienced a cracked exhaut manifold due to poor design/engineering.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jun 052010

Trailblazer EXT

My instrument cluster on my 2003 trailblazer ( speedometer, temp, voltage, gas gauge oil press.) stopped working.I bought it new and it get serviced at the dealership regularly, first the speedometer stopped working then the others stopped working.

- Belmont, NC, USA

Aug 102009

Trailblazer EXT

Headlamps keep going out and the connectors keep melting and burning the rear radio speakers go out the rear heat/air goes out the level 5 setting on the fan does not work these are not unusual complaints for this vehicle, there seems to be a standard being set with these issues.

- Brooklet, GA, USA

Feb 122010

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

We own a Chevy trailblazer, 2003 ext! I swear the SUV is possessed!speedometer sporadically acts up, stating higher mph, sometimes it goes over 100mph, when were only going 30mph! it wont go back to 0 unless you turn the vehicle on/off repeatedly! oil, battery and temp gauges all high, yet dealer cant find problem! problem doesn't always occur yet I rely on my navigation system to determine speed as I no longer trust the 2003 Chevy trailblazer.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jan 012009

Trailblazer EXT

I own a Chevy trailblazer 2003, and all the gauges are have quit working, it is unsafe to drive without a speedometer and gas gauge along with all the other gauges. I have replaced fuses and relays nothing has yet to fix the problem.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Mar 102009

Trailblazer EXT

I own a 2003 Chevy trailblazer ls. Bought it new off the dealer's lot. In 2007, approximately 100,000 miles later the tachometer began to function intermittently. At 120,000 miles, it quit all together. Shortly thereafter, the speedometer began to malfunction intermittently. Now in 2009 and 150,000 miles it does not work 90+% of the time. When it does, the speed indication is unreliable. I have taken the vehicle into the local Chevy dealer for diagnostic and repair estimate; $800 to $1000 all day situation. Have taken it to other repair shops, but they refer back to the dealer in order to obtain parts. So far, have been able to operate vehicle, but awaiting the next gauge to fail.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Feb 012008

Trailblazer EXT

My RPM gauge and fuel gauges both stopped working.

- Chico, CA, USA

Jul 082009

Trailblazer EXT

Beginning 2 weeks ago the speedometer on my 2003 Chevy trailblazer has not been working properly. The needle will go past 120 mph and when your stopped it will be at 30-40 mph. This is extremely dangerous since my son has his learners permit and was driving the first time the speedometer malfunctioned. We were on the highway. I looked on-line and found several people with the same problem. One suggested disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. I did this and it worked for 1 week. I disconnected it 2 more times so far. Today I called GM at 800-630-2438 to report the problem & see if there was a recall. I was told there was no recall but that I should take it to the dealer for diagnostic testing. I asked if I would be charged and she said yes. I told her that I can't afford to pay them just for diagnostics and that they already know what the problem is since it is all over the internet about so many of their vehicles doing this.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Feb 012009

Trailblazer EXT

I purchased the vehicle with approximately 63,000 miles already on it. Within a month I noticed the speedometer was doing funny things like reading 100mph when I was only driving about 25mph. I contacted a dealer and was told it would cost $500 to repair. We do not have that kind of money so I left it. The problem continued until the speedometer stopped working altogether. I had learned how to gauge my speed by using the takometer but that started to go shortly after the speedometer. Now my battery gauge is starting to show signs of fritzing. I have read online that this is a very common problem with these vehicles and that GM has not issued a recall. I now have a gps which can tell me my speed but the battery gauge is a definate safety issue. Thank you!

- Fernley, NV, USA

Oct 012008

Trailblazer EXT

My check engine light came on but the vehicle ran O.K. took it to mechanic and was told that the oil pressure gauge was not working and he believed there was a recall on this. It wasn't a recall so we were told we would have to pay for the repairs ourselves and since we regularly change/check our oil I wasn't too worried. Now we have noticed the temperature gauge has shot all the way around and has stayed but when it is really cold outside it drops back to normal. The speedometer and the RPM gauge also sticks. Spent many days for a few years trying to solve problem with the radio and dvd player not working properly and switching stations on its own and after several replacements finally gave up because it was never corrected. This is a real concern as I do travel by myself and rely on the instrument panel and this seems to be a real problem with the trailblazer and should be recalled by chevorlet.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 302008

Trailblazer EXT

My 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer ext gauge clusters malfunction. One by one the instrument panel gauges have been failing. First the RPM gauge stuck at zero in March '08. About two months ago (Oct '08), the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero and now fluctuates erratically. Often times, restarting the car will temporarily reset the oil pressure gauge until it fails again. This month (Dec. '08), the temperature gauge pegged high and the speedometer will temporarily hesitate. The only gauge that appears to work properly is the fuel gauge, and I'm guessing that will eventually fail too. During my last oil change at a Chevy dealer, they indicated that most likely the instrument cluster/gauge drivers are bad and can be replaced for about $800. I've done a lot of searching on the internet and found that many people are experiencing this same problem with Chevy vehicles, yet Chevrolet has done nothing to correct or remedy the situation.

- Poquoson , VA, USA

Jun 152006

Trailblazer EXT

While driving, the speedometer got stuck at 40mph. It never came back down, but eventually went all the way to the right side. After $900 for a new instrument cluster it was fixed, but the following year a friend of mine with an 05 trailblazer had the same thing happen to her. She won't get it fixed because it seems just a tad bit suspicious that so many speedometers have gone out in these things.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Dec 222008

Trailblazer EXT

I noticed when the weather got colder/snow in December, my speedometer was reading around 60 mpg high speed when I was going about 20 mph. After turning my truck on and off a couple of times, it would reset to 0 mph. Another heavy snow day came and it happened again, and after I was exiting my car yesterday, the needle pointed South and when I started the truck it went backward to 120 mph. I called GM to find out if there were any recalls on this problem or any others and they said there were no recall for my vehicle at this time, which I know is untrue due to the gas leak recall. I called the GM service center and was told the same thing and this item is not covered. I searched the web and found a class action suit against GM for the same reason as mine

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012008

Trailblazer EXT

For the past several months, the speedometer has been acting up. It is now buried past the top registered speed. It will vary from time to time, but is, for the most part, non-working. It will show that I am at a high rate of speed even when the vehicle is sitting idle or in park. This is an ongoing problem and from what I can see, I am not alone with this issue. This is a big safety concern and I feel that GM needs to address the issue.

- Lake St Louis, MO, USA

Jul 122008

Trailblazer EXT

Intermittently the speedometer reads from a few mph high to 70 mph high. This problem is well documented across the GM product line and is covered in one way or another by GM. But not the trailblazer. Why not?

- Durham, NC, USA

Apr 292005

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer ext. The contact stated that the engine failed to start, the instrument panel produced a hissing noise, and the instrument gauges fluctuated erratically. The vehicle would start after several attempts were made. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure has occurred three times at 39,650, 40,210 and 40,227 miles. The current mileage is 40,227 and failure mileage was 39,650.

- Lakeside , CA, USA

Mar 092006

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

While driving about 70 mph my speed hand jumped to 110 RPM, when I got home and turned off the vehicle the hand was reading 60 mph. This has happened three times. I called the dealer and they said they have had this problem several times in trailblazers.

- Osceola, AR, USA

May 112006

Trailblazer EXT

2003 Chevy trailblazer blew a few fuses so I could not start the vehicle (several times already), per dealer. Tachometer jumps around, radio gets hot, electrical lights turn off along with heater/cooler, rear lights replaced three times, hole in gas tank, drive line replaced, constant chirping/ticking noise (of course dealer does not hear). Purchased brand new and have way too many problems for a new vehicle. You asked for incident date....there are several. Will stick to Toyota's from now on....

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA