2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 042016

Trailblazer EXT

None of my gages work and a lot of my dash lights are on. I have no idea how much gas I have. My speedometer and RPM gages work but nothing else does. This has been happening on and off for about 3 months but they would always go back on. But now it has been off for a week without going back to normal. Twice last week the radio and the power windows stopped working as well. This happens while driving parked all the time and it doesnt go back to normal. I have seen a lot of complaints about this so I have no clue why there isn't a recall. It is not safe to drive my trailblazer until these things are fixed. I work at a Chevrolet dealership and they couldn't figure out how to fix this either. GM needs to put out a recall to get this fixed asap.

- Guilford, IN, USA

Mar 152014

Trailblazer EXT

The gas gauge started messing up/not reading right especially in the rain and then shortly after that the speedometer started doing the same thing. Now neither one will work at all. This started about two years ago and quit working all together about 1 year ago. I heard that this is happening to alot of trailblazers. This started while the vehicle was in motion.

- Brazoria, TX, USA

Mar 292015

Trailblazer EXT

The check engine light went on and there was a strong gas odor. Gas had also previously spilled out when fuelung.

- Vly Cottage, NY, USA

Jun 012015

Trailblazer EXT

First oil pressure gauge went and now my speedometer is also gone stuck at 50 mph. Called Chevy can't get straight answer from them and ask what other vehicles with the same problem with gauge cluster advised can't disclosed any information.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jan 102012

Trailblazer EXT 4WD 8-cyl

The drivers seat heater got very hot and then stopped working shortly after. I did an internet search and found that this is very common. I found that one of the wires had overheated and actually burned the foam and covering. There are many complaints and pictures on the internet. I removed my seat and found the exact same problem. I am astounded that nothing is being done to stop the use of these defective heaters. This is most certainly a very serious fire and burn hazard.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jun 252014

Trailblazer EXT 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle started randomly shutting off while driving. Loss of power to everything but the brakes. Luckily I was only going 10-15mph each time this happened. With the recent recall in GM vehicles regarding the ignition switch I thought it would be a good idea to switch this part out first. Fixed the problem immediately. I would like to be reimbursed my cost for part and labor. I can't believe as many known problems the trailblazer has with this that it has yet to be added to the recall list.

- Upland, PA, USA

Jun 242014

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

When I pulled into driveway, I put the vehicle in park, and turned the key off, and actually pulled the key out of the ignition switch, with the vehicle still running. I backed the car up, without the key in the ignition, where I started smelling wires burning. I called fire department, and they put fire out on the fuse box, with everything melted around it. I have had minor problems with the car, I.e. wheel bearing and brakes, but, nothing like this. While my 14 year old daughter and I were in the car at the time, we did get out, and no one was hurt.

- Salamanca, NY, USA

Nov 032011

Trailblazer EXT 8-cyl

Like many other, my problem is with the instrument panel/cluster. My fuel gauge doesn't work and my speedometer is all over the place...sometimes it seems to work fine, other times not at all, and sometimes it works but isn't accurate.

- Gardner, KS, USA

Jul 092011

Trailblazer EXT

After driving the vehicle like normal, stopped at a gas station and when it was restarted, the fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, battery gauge, tachometer, pretty much the entire instrument panel stopped working then came back on. Also, instead of reading driver like it normally does, the panel was reading unknown driver. Then as we were driving down the interstate home, the speedometer went to 0 and would not come back up. After we got home, the next day the panel worked fine. This has occurred numerous time since the first incident in 2011. I have read multiple forums and posts online from others stating it is the instrument panel cluster that may be the problem and there was a recall on other Chevy makes but not the trailblazer. This is a very scary problem and should be covered by Chevy due to the numerous other trailblazer owners with the same issue.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Mar 122012

Trailblazer EXT

I started my vehicle and the instrument cluster did not work. No precheck lights except check engine light came on and none of the instruments on the panel would work. Tried shutting down the engine and restarting but to no avail.

- Foley, AL, USA

Jan 252012

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

Driving at 40mph and the truck went up in flames truck showed no warning even drove it app. 300yards to pull over still ran with flames as high as 6 ft no dummy lights came fire was under the truck while driving was warned by another driving heading towards me truck had 85130 miles on it never had no major problems ever this is a brief summary.

- Amsterdam, NY, USA

Aug 042010

Trailblazer EXT

I, along with many others are experiencing major problems with the instrument panels on our Chevrolet trailblazer. My mother traded hers in because her speedometer was going out. But my problem is much worse, my whole entire dashboard is out. My gas gauge doesn't work, my speedometer doesn't work, my oil pressure doesn't work, my thermostat doesn't work, nothing works. My cruise control acts up too.

- Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA

Aug 292008

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

I am a senior citizen I brought this car new. After one year I had to replace linc plate. Over the years everything has gone wrong with this car. Speedometer has not worked since Aug. '08, gas gauge stopped Oct. '11. Instrument cluster since 2010 and GM knows this is a defected part. Yet GM paid for this same defected part at their cost for the Tahoe, but has not paid for the trailblazer. Why? windows and doors do not unlock on command. Window wiper(rear) stopped working-I replaced that part. A/C comes on my itself. Thermostat failure. I think GM should stand behind their product. The only reason they would not is that they already know that they are producing substandard products that are not fit to be driven on the road.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Jul 202011

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

The gauges started failing one at a time. First the oil and battery needles moved to the far right and buried off the chart. Now the speed is reading 90mph at a stop light and 10mph on the interstate. The cluster is gone and the whole driver dashboard is failing. The gas and oil gagues I fear are next. According to dealer they know there is a problem, but they have no problem charging up to $600 to fix the situation. This is mechanical and not caused by the owner. There are blogs all over the place on the same problem.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 012010

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

All electronic gauges within the instrument cluster failed at random times and very frequently, leading to the clusters' current state, which is all gauges are non-operational (dead). Hazardous condition caused due to speedometer failure. Chevy replaced the instrument cluster two times while under 36/36 mfg warranty. Chevy refuses to replace current instrument cluster since 36/36 has passed.

- Westhampton, NY, USA

May 012004

Trailblazer EXT

2003 Trailblazer ext 4X4 loaded purchased new 5-2004 sticker $ 42,000 I have owned 14 vehicles and have never had one with the problems this truck has. GM has designed engineered and sold an unreliable unsafe automobile. 1. electrical issues: Rear brake lamp boards replaced 3 times, radio replaced, headlamp sockets melted, brake lamp bulb base melted. 2. car loss all power while driving wife had to sit in middle of road until tow truck came. Truck only 2yrs old at that time cause of problem ignition switch. 3. electronic fan clutch replaced twice 10-10 and 6-11 had to battle dealership to cover based on problem and get attorney involved cost to replace with diag. $700. 4. sway bar link pin kit replaced twice. 5. 4X4 transfer case will not go into 4-wheel drive 2-wheel drive only when you select 4-wheel drive truck will not move and makes internal noise.trailblazer has a total of 115,000 miles. Just to make a comparison I purchased in 2001 a new Toyota Tacoma truck it has 176,000 miles on the odometer.other than standard maintenance no issues at all.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Dec 122010

Trailblazer EXT

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet trailblazer. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact observed that the speedometer would fluctuate continuously providing inaccurate speeds traveled. In addition, the tac and oil pressure gauges completely failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The technician was unable to locate the problem and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 88,976.

- Port St. Lucie, FL, USA

Aug 012008

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

Bad electrical problem. My side mirrors aren't working at all. My rear brake lights are always inoperative. I always get a constant vibration coming from the engine. My gearbox sometimes freezes or gets stuck. Poor fuel efficiency.

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jan 302011

Trailblazer EXT 6-cyl

My 2003 Trailblazer ext. Would not start today, all dash lights come on but gas and voltage gauge don't register. Keys and key fobs are not recognized also only says unknown driver.it will not crank at all or even make noise, battery, alternator, starter and all fuses have been checked and are good. There is no security light that stays on and my key will remove from the ignition! front door windows and door locks will not work or radio.....all lights, A/C, back windows, sunroof, power seats work!.......have not been able to find problem.

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Jan 022009

Trailblazer EXT 4WD 8-cyl

2003 Chevy trailblazer cluster panel quit working. No odometer, RPM, and occasionally the fuel gauge.

- Bishop, CA, USA