2009 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, while driving, the vehicle would not shift into third gear which resulted in a lack of acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wave clutch plate was defective and the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the traction control warning indicator illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Vienna, WV, USA

Apr 052016

"takata recall" this car has been a nightmare from the day we bought it. It has had 4 rack and pinions, the struts replaced, a gear replaced in the steering column, a new power steering pump, a fuel injector, and timing chain repair. Now it is in the shop again for another round of timing chain gone bad and tensioners, as well as now the master brake cylinder is leaking back into the system which I was told will cause my brakes to just no longer work at any given moment. I drive my children in this car, I paid over $25,000 for it and I have put over $8,000 in repairs into it. I am now having to repair the brake issue or chance my family being killed in an accident. While my husband has lost his job in the oil and gas industry. I can't even sale the stupid car, because it is worhtless!!! I am disgusted and disappointed with this vehicle, the manufacturer for doing nothing for their buyers and the fact that there have been no recalls on the brake issue, when there are multitudes of pages on the web of complaints over the same issue.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 082016

Numerous ac issues, dealer has never been able to we receive engine code stating the #4 cylinder misfireing. Before we can have it repaired the vehicle just quit. No power from engine, no brakes, all kinds of electrical sensors are giving alerts and car just turns off. Seems to also be affecting cooling fan and steering. Also ever since we purchased the vehicle has made a wierd noise in the front end. Dealer claims it was nothing and after warranty expired we took it in for ac again and was told the front struts were needing to be replaced along with all kinds of ac parts. How come this was never mentioned until warranty expired" I am so tired of getting ripped off with vehicles. Had issues with Ford, Dodge and now GM. Guess its time to try an import"

- Risharon, TX, USA

Aug 062014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at 55 mph, the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the timing belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- 724-882-3786, PA, USA

Feb 182015

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 62 mph, the vehicle stalled as the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the contact's house. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. However, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 042014

Driving on a highway went to change lane. While accelerating the car started to shake, buck and slow down. Engine light came on. Brought it to the dealer found intermittent code P0306. Performed emission service. Happened again 60days later. Back to the dealer found code P0305 and P0306. They cleaned spark plugs. Happened again 30 days later. Back to the dealer. Codes P0300, P0305, PO301, P0304, P0306. Onstar diagnostics: Cylinder misfire, engine misfire. Back to the dealer. Soak engine with GM cleaner. Happened again 1 day later. Back to the dealer. Same codes as above. Dealer wants to do a valve job on the car. Waiting to find out what that will cost. Don't know when the misfires will happen. If am trying to pass another car on a highway at high speed and a misfire happens I am sure a accident will occur and it could be fatal.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Dec 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchase car in 7/6/13 only had it 15 months during which time had 4-5 recalls not including a lot of major repairs. The last time I pick up in December on a Saturday down on Monday. They tell me nowits the engine. I do a history and see odometer fraud written all over it. Dealership is acting up. I called GM told my insurance and the financial car loan. Now waiting. This is not right.. I am a 64 old female living on ss. Come on I need help here.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Dec 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife was driving home when the check engine light came on vehicle lost power and stalled and would not restart, vehical was towed to dealer who stated cathlitic converter had failed and would be replaced. Following replacement dealer stated engine backfired during test drive investigation revealed engine failure and had to be replaced luckly insurance covered this repair, following engine repair car was started but still backfired investigation revealed ignition coil was defective.. reshearch by me on the internet showed problems with ignition coil causing engine and cathlitic converter problem, this problem could be a major safety concern if driving at interstate speeds then this problem occures.

- Summerville , SC, USA

Nov 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

Driving down I30 at approximately 65 mph, vehicle slows down to 20 mph without any warning. The engine light came on soon after or maybe as the speed dropped. Shook me up luckily there was very little traffic and was able to pull over to the side. The vehicle was not shaking or showed no sign of damage other than it not wanting to go past 20 mph. The incident happened one exit away from the dealership where I get the vehicle serviced and decided to drive it there. I am being told by the dealership that the catalytic converter fell apart and damaged engine cylinders 3 and 5 so I will be needing the engine replaced. Do not know if the catalytic converter that failed was the one the dealership replaced in April 2014.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Nov 042014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 55 mph, the engine, traction control, and stabilitrak warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle decreased independently to 15 mph. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Newark, DE, USA

Sep 122014

I was driving and several lights came on. Traction control, check stabilitrack, and engine power is reduced came on at once. A lot of people are having this problem and have to pay for it. There needs to be some type of recall. I use this car for my everyday use. Please help.

- Chadbourn, NC, USA

Aug 282014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While idling at a traffic light, the vehicle stalled and the traction control service indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,090.

- Niceville, FL, USA