2009 Chevrolet Traverse seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Jun 012015

Traverse 6-cyl

History: I purchased a certified used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse on 10/22/2013 with a service contact. The vehicle has 44339 miles. Present: A few days prior to my car being serviced before a road trip. I notice what turn out to be a red air bag service light symbol on my dash board that stays on when the car is running. On June 9th 2015 at 6:30 am I dropped off my car to the Chevy dealer's service department. At 12 noon I called service to get feedback about my car; I however, had to leave a message requesting an update about my car. I received a call from the service department after 2:30 pm. She stated that there was no communication with the S.D.M. module and that they would need to check further. She stated that to check for the trouble it would cost close to $600 and if they had to replace the smd it would cost me $980.80. I asked why I should have to pay to have a defective or damaged air bag serviced or repaired especially when it be in safe working order. The next day I spoke with a supervisor at my job who said that he has the same car, same year and the same color as my car. He had the same exact problem with his car while it was still under warranty. He said that his car was in the shop on multiple occasions with multiple dealers they never could find out what caused the air bag light to come on. He said finally the air bag light went off with no explanation after being service at a different repair shop for a different problem. Now the side air bag was recall for not working properly. How can I find out about the defective air bag associated with the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse" or how many times this car has been in the shop for the air bag or the historical problems associated with the Traverse. Dealer: Chevrolet of jersey city 905 communipaw ave. Jc, NJ 07304 201 793 " 4270.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jun 022014

Traverse 6-cyl

History: I purchased a certified used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse on 10/22/2013 with a service contact. The vehicle has 44339 miles. Present: A few days prior to my car being serviced before a road trip. I notice what turn out to be a red air bag service light symbol on my dash board that stays on when the car is running. On June 9th 2015 at 6:30 am I dropped off my car to the Chevy dealer's service department. At 12 noon I called service to get feedback about my car; I however, had to leave a message requesting an update about my car. I received a call from the service department after 2:30 pm. She stated that there was no communication with the S.D.M. module and that they would need to check further. She stated that to check for the trouble it would cost close to $600 and if they had to replace the smd it would cost me $980.80. I asked why I should have to pay to have a defective or damaged air bag serviced or repaired especially when it be in safe working order. The next day I spoke with a supervisor at my job who said that he has the same car, same year and the same color as my car. He had the same exact problem with his car while it was still under warranty. He said that his car was in the shop on multiple occasions with multiple dealers they never could find out what caused the air bag light to come on. He said finally the air bag light went off with no explanation after being service at a different repair shop for a different problem. Now the side air bag was recall for not working properly. How can I find out about the defective air bag associated with the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse? or how many times this car has been in the shop for the air bag or the historical problems associated with the Traverse. Dealer: Chevrolet of jersey city 905 communipaw ave. Jc, NJ 07304 201 793 - 4270.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Oct 072014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while driving approximately 15 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front driver's side and none of the air bags deployed. The contact sustained a concussion and medical attention was required. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a savage facility. A police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

May 142014

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V266000 (seat belts) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V118000 (air bags) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced the failure. Updated 1/21/15

- Waterford, PA, USA

May 162014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V118000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Belen, NM, USA

Aug 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

Since receiving recall notices on our 2009 Traverse, I have contacted a local Chevrolet dealer to get the recalls cleared on this vehicle. In all instances, except the recall on the 2nd row seat belt recall, I have been told that the parts for the recall repairs have not been issued to the service department. The recall on the air bag harness is now three months old and the dealer is still saying the repair parts are not available. The dealership in question is edwards Chevrolet 280, located on hwy 280 in inverness, Alabama.

- Shelby, AL, USA

Nov 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

My "service air bag" light came on. I went immediately to the dealer and had them check it out. I was told it was a faulty sensor buried deep within the passenger seat. The cost of repair is $700. None of the passenger restraints/air bags will operate I'm told as it does not show a passenger is present in the seat. I have done nothing to create this problem...it's GM's faulty sensor. My children are no longer safe in the front seat...ridiculous. I've asked GM to repair and they won't.

- Utica, SD, USA

Jun 082013

Traverse

Around June 8, 2013 vehicle dash board shows air bag service required and air bag service indicator on, also notice while sitting on passenger seat, passenger air bag indicator shows off. Contacted to dealer and got repaired after paying $107 on June 10,2013, which was charged for new fuse. Again same issue accrued on August 19, 2013 contacted dealer. Owner contacted on August 22, 2013 Chevrolet customer department through onstar representative, from her no satisfied answer received and they mentioned there is nothing problematic in vehicle model history.

- Parlin, NJ, USA

May 092012

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the air bag wires for the front passenger side seat were crossed and needed to be untangled. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Feb 222013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, crashed into a highway barrier while attempting to avoid crashing into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard. The police reported to the scene and a report was filed. The contact was transported to the hospital via ambulance for treatment of injuries to the back. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Dec 182012

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving car started to spit and sputter like not getting enough fuel. Then while turning the air bag light came on and the stability control light come and the check engine light flashed never stayed solid. The check engine light then quit flashing but the air bag light is still on. The stability control light stayed on until I turned the car off, I then turned it back on and the stability control light was not on.

- Waverly , OH, USA

Mar 242012

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While parked, the contact noticed that the air bag light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three different times for a diagnostic test. The contact was not aware of the repair that was performed. After the repair, the air bag warning light continued to illuminate. The technician was unable to diangose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000.

- Laplace, LA, USA

Sep 072011

Traverse

I bought a used fleet 2009 Traverse and the airbag light comes on constantly. I didn't pay much attention to it, but now it's really aggravating me. I took it to the dealer but they wanted to charge me for checking it. I told them that I had mentioned before but the light had turned off again so not much attention was placed on it. This is a big concern for me. Also this vehicle has the habit of rolling back when I park or on a slight incline this is scary!!!!!

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Dec 172010

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact applied the brakes while driving 35 mph and the vehicle crash into the rear end of the vehicle in front. The air bag did not deploy. The contact suffered a fractured sternum by hitting the steering wheel. The contact stated that the seat belt did not lock during the crash. The contact was taken to the hospital. The manufacturer stated that they will perform an investigation regarding the seat belt. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA