2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Dec 042013

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while making a right turn, the power steering failed as the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle the power steering will cut out. The vehicle is very difficult to turn and it is difficult to maintain control of the vehicle. Has almost resulted in multiple accidents when navigating parking lots or other areas at slow speeds as well.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Apr 032014

Traverse 6-cyl

It is difficult to steer and makes a noise when steering. Had the car in to the shop and he said power steering fluid is good and to contact the dealer because there are 1,000's of complaints regarding this same very dangerous safety issue. Called the dealer and they claim to have not heard of this issue. This car has had 6 recalls and now this very dangerous safety issue that had not been recalled. GM needs to take care of this. I am afraid to even drive the vehicle because of the seriousness of this. Nor do I feel that the consumer should pay for the repairs when this is happening in 1000's of vehicles. It is obvious that there is yet another found problem with this vehicle. I am very disappointed in GM that they are not taking these complaints serious and fixing the vehicles.

- Cedar Springs, MI, USA

May 042014

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchased a 2009 Chevy Traverse new in March of 2009. The vehicle has approx 125,000 miles on it & is out of warranty. Recently the vehicle began to lose power assist in steering at low speeds making it nearly impossible to make a turn. I have been close to striking other vehicles and objects as I have tried to turn. This is intermittent & I never know when it is going to happen. This is a very, very dangerous issue & needs to be dealt with as there are several owners of this or similar GM vehicles that have the same problem, as indicated by the many internet forums related to this matter. Please, please look into this before people are injured or killed. I took the vehicle to a local repair shop, they say it needs a steering gear & pump at a cost of $1,629.58, however, after reading some posts from others who have had the repairs completed, it does not appear this fixes the problem.

- Williamston, MI, USA

Apr 022014

Traverse 6-cyl

While backing out of a parking spot, the steering column completely locked up and would not allow me to turn the wheel. I then attempted to pull forward at which time the brakes locked in place. Although there were no injuries, I can't help to wonder what could've happened and what my response would have been should this had happened in traffic on the freeway. I had my daughter in the car and I am still nervous about driving this vehicle.

- Brea, CA, USA

Jul 252012

Traverse 6-cyl

Bought this 2009 Chevy Traverse used in 2011 w 17,000mi. In 2012 at approx 40,000 mi, out of warranty (of course) I notice that in a slow or stopped position and trying to turn the wheel (ie backed out of driveway in reverse at slight angle, put into drive to finish turn to drive away, the power steering acts like it is gone and is now manual steering. This doesn't happen every time but is very intermittent. Next time into dealer on transmission seal recall, I mentioned this as it continued for about a year, happening every day for a week, nothing for two weeks, again for a week, etc. When they did the recall work on the seal, it also stopped the random failure of the power steering. Always at low speed or stopped, either direction. Now at 72,000 mi, it is still doing it more often. Gave up on dealer and had a shop power flush the steering system. Did not fix the failure. Had a real battle turning the wheel when adjusting my parking into a stall in a parking garage. Very frustrating. I see other GM vehicles getting recalled for power steering issues. Hoping mine is next. Was told next would be to either replace the power steering pump at approx $800 or the rack and pinion at approx $1800. Not excited about either but if continues to worsen, won't have much choice. Very disappointed in this vehicle and poor service at the dealer where I bought it. Will not go back for service or to buy, period. I see others mentioning what reads like the same exact issue in this forum. I too am very concerned about family members driving it as well as myself if it occurs at higher speed and motion. No leaks and shop said pwr steering fluid level was fine before flush. Said they didn't know but I said try the flush which was the less expensive option, thinking something was flowing and blocking the pump action. What is the story GM?

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 062014

First noticed the power steering would go out in low speeds. Especially in parking lots. We have had the dealer look at it but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Needless to say it is still happening and is getting worse. It is now to the point it is difficult to make low speed turns on the streets and creates an extremely dangerous situation. It is only a matter of time before it causes an accident. Looking online it is clear there is a safety issue with these models and should have been included in the recall for other GM cars. I think the dealer just put us off so we will have to pay a significant amount of money once our warranty is over instead of making repairs while it was still under warranty. GM needs to do the right thing and include this in a recall before someone dies in an accident.

- Willowick, OH, USA

Jul 312013

Steering wheel has locked up on my wife multiple times will driving. We have taken it to the Chevy dealer 3 times and no problem detected dropped it off today at another dealer for them to look at.

- Macomb Twp, MI, USA

Apr 072014

Traverse 6-cyl

Turning down a street when steering locked on me. Almost hit a car and almost lost control. I had to stop and try to not go up over the curb all the while another car was coming as I was crossing. It continues to do this locking while steering into parking places as well. Very scary that this happened while my children were in the car. Thank you for your time in looking into this.

- N. Ridgeville, OH, USA

Apr 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering goes out with no warning while going at slower speeds.

- Deshler, OH, USA

Traverse 6-cyl

I am having issues with the power steering failing on my Traverse. At low speeds the power steering seems to give out occasionally. This problem comes and goes, and it is extremely difficult to turn the wheel when this happens and am afraid of serious injury if involved in a crash because of this. Chevrolet seems to know there is a problem with this but will not cover it under any warranty.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 052014

Around the beginning of March my 2009 Chevy Traverse developed a winding sound when steering at a stop or low speed. At this time the steering wheel was very difficult to turn. The problem has progress and now the venice has little to no assistb. I saw that GM recently released a recall on several of its models with similar steering systems. I feel that the 2009-2012 Chevy Traverse lt should also be included.6

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Apr 242014

Vehicle is difficult to steer at slow speeds, especially when turning a corner or into a parking space. This has been happening for the last 3-4 months but has been more frequent lately. My daughter will be getting her license soon and I am concerned about her driving alone and panicking if this were to happen to her.

- Blanchard, MI, USA

Apr 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

While traveling at slow speeds there is a complete loss of power steering. My wife was driving and nearly hit pedestrians because she lost power steering, it is nearly impossible to steer at low speeds, like parking and turning corners.

- Laingsburg, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering occasionally stops responding. Typically occurs at low speeds and parking lot situations. The issue is random, but occurring on a much more frequent basis. I am extremely concerned as my son is just beginning to drive. If a failure were to occur with him it very well could be catastrophic.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Aug 152012

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while driving under 30 mph making a left or right turn, the power steering stopped working making the steering wheel very difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the rack and pinion was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the remedy failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 052013

Traverse 6-cyl

Starting in June of last year, the power steering in my car goes out suddenly when making turns at slower speeds. It happened intermittently last summer, didn't happen much over the colder months and now happens just about every time I make a turn. Used to only happen when turning into parking spots, has now happened a few times when turning on to side streets. A few times I ended up on the berm or grass because the wheel was so hard to turn. The power steering goes out without warning. I'm afraid it may happen when going at higher speeds and I'll end up in a bad accident. I've heard there is a class action lawsuit against GM for this very problem, but haven't heard if it's been rectified. It's ridiculous that these cars have not yet been recalled! GM is putting millions of lives in danger.

- Berlin Center, OH, USA

Apr 022014

Traverse 6-cyl

The steering wheel locked as we were parking car. It was still on drive. Took it to dealer. No recall on this even though I've researched a lot of complaints about the steering on this car 2009 Traverse. It makes me feel unsafe driving this car especially if it happens again as I am driving down the highway.

- Lihue, HI, USA

Mar 282014

Traverse 6-cyl

2009 Chevy Traverse lost steering control on the freeway almost making the vehicle uncontrollable as exiting the off ramp. Had care been driven by my wife, she would not have had the strength to get the vehicle under control and likely would have resulted in a serious accident. Subsequent investigation on the internet revealed that hundreds and hundreds of others have experienced the same malfunction. The SUV just barely turned 5 years old and has only been used in normal driving conditions. This is a very serious component defect that will ultimately cost lives, if not already. Please cross reference all of the similar complaints for all of the GM lamda platform vehicles which are virtually the same vehicle, same components, but are rebadged with different bodies and interior for each GM brand. This would include Saturn outlook, GMC acadia, Chevrolet Traverse, and Buick enclave....all with the same steering components.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Jun 012011

Traverse 6-cyl

I bought my Traverse new in 2009 and absolutely love my crossover, however about two years after purchase I started having loss of power steering while driving. I took the car back to the dealer on more then one occasions to no avail they tell me they can't find anything wrong. I've looked online and I see numerous owners with the same problem. I've loss power steering while parking, backing up, making left or right turns I feel like a hostage with this automobile since there seems to be no known solution. I received a phone call from a mechanic who's aware of my problem and he informed me that there is a recall on the (steering:electric power assist system) however I don't see my model vehicle listed. I need help and would like to know what to do now that there is a recall on the steering but it doesn't include my vehicle.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA