Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 222016

Timing chain dead at just 106,000 miles

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jun 152016

June 2016, approx. 114,000 mi - felt a lurch in stop & go traffic; flashed "service stabilitrak, " "service traction control, " "backup alerts = off". the check engine light appeared. A few miles down the road when traffic sped up, I realized I only had one gear and could not accelerate above 60mph. A serious problem on the interstate! several hours later, the check engine light remained on, but the car drove normally -- straight to the repair shop, where it was deemed to need $2400 in transmission repair due to the following fault codes: P182E & C0561. They will replace the transmission mode shift sensor and the transmission control module. The mechanic also informed us that we will eventually need a $700 repair for the control arms in the rear suspension -- ge has corrected a known fault in the parts. All this is on top of a $3000 repair done in April 2015 at 92,500 mi. For known steering defects. In that case, as the Traverse warmed up, the power steering got hard to turn. GM repaired part of the problem at no cost, replacing power steering pump and gear housing. Another mechanic completed the replacement of the rack and pinion assembly that was also part of the problem. These are both substantial defects and repairs needed in a vehicle that was expected to last much longer before needing more than routine maintenance.

- Worthington, OH, USA

May 132016

Without any warning the shifting gear stop working when placed on park, the truck moves forward or backwards depending on where I park it, the person washing my truck was lucky to be able to stop it when he noticed it was moving backwards when parked uphill, it could have been a terrible accident possibly fatal!

- Alamo, TX, USA

May 132016

The timing chain has stretched and the dealer says it will take 19 hours to change it. Auto mfg went to timing chains from rubber belts, so they don't have to change it. The warranty is for 5 yrs or 100,000 miles. This is a known issue and the warranty for this expensive job should be extended. Once the chain brakes, the car is done. The car makes noise and doesn't accelerate properly because of this issue. First noticed the check engine light on about 6 months or so ago. It wasn't until we broke down in Canada that the dealer there said it was the timing chain when they replaced the throttle body.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Apr 302016

My transmission has gone out in my SUV. When researching about Traverse transmissions I have found that every year model that has been made has problems with the transmission when they reach 80,000+ miles. Chevy has a recall and updated warranty for 2009 models but not other models. I think a major recall needs to done on the Traverse due to transmission issues. If you go to or even just google Chevrolet Traverse transmission problems hundreds of angry customers comment about the problems they have with the Traverse's transmission.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Apr 172015

Apr.2015: Vehicle constantly stalled, engine light on at less than 60K. Oct. 2015: Had to replace the starter twice and repair the fly wheel. Repair costs=$2,000. Engine light still on. Timing chain problems, additional $2600 est. Costs. Vehicle needs inspection and will not pass with codes P0018-0007 stored. Not fair that we should have to incure these costs. GM should cover this under their "special policy" for known issues with this. Current vehicle mileage 80K. Car is not safe to drive. Engine could fail at any time.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

Mar 292016

I got a card in mail from Chevy stating if I was having throttle issues to take it and a dealership would fix it. We had the engine light come on a week or less than that before we got the card. The car was having issues gong or being sluggish. We take it in and they said they fixed it but within a day we had the engine come on and it continued the same problem. They tried to blame the throttle body but now say its the timeing chains and it will be 1600+ just for labor. This is the same problem we had before and now they say we are out of warranty. When we were there for the first time it was supposed to be in warranty until 98000 and we have 96000 on it.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Jan 112016

My Traverse just pulled a P0008 and P0017 engine code. After bringing it to the mechanic, I had an oil flush and induction system cleaning. The following day the P0008 code when off again. This is specific for the timing chain and cylinder heads. Apparently there was a recall and warranty extension for 08-09 Chevy Traverses however that has not transferred over to my particular model year. My vehicle is 1 year out of warranty with only 63,000 miles on it. My repairs are to be an estimated $4,000 - $6,300 but am being offered a 50/50 split that I feel is still unacceptable on a vehicle with only 63,000 miles.

- Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Dec 222015

Engine was running rough; vehicle was sluggish. Check engine light came on. Dealership, burlington Chevrolet, ran a diagnostic and there were some failed codes (P0011 and P008), all related to the camshaft and timing chains. To repair, it would cost about $2,700 since I was six months over the powertrain warranty. They contacted GM and they stated that it would cost me $681 plus tax. I agreed to have the repairs completed which also included replacing the waterpump which was leaking. I have read online that timing chain problems on have occurred more frequently on 2007-2010 Chevy Traverse, Saturn outlook, GMC acadia, and Buick enclave. All of these SUV's have the 3.6 liter V6 engine with dual overhead cams. What is happening on these vehicles is that the timing chains are stretching which leads to correlation errors with the cam sensors and actuators. After 2010, General Motors has seemed to correct the problem with updated chains and ECM calibrations.

- Florence, NJ, USA

Jun 102015

Engine appears to have a significant loss of power. Code P0008 comes up on the code reader and scanning the engine with a scan tool reveals that the timing chain is having issues. With some research I found NHTSA reference- 10043857 and tsb reference- sb-11340 for this issue. GM states that it was an issue with 2006 to 2009 models. I feel though that the problem has not gone away with the 2010 model as the customer service lady at GM seems to indicate. I also have heard that GM has extended the coverage to 10 years / 120K miles for this issue. Im getting nowhere with GM so far!

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Jan 152015

I had my vehicle diagnosed with a timing chain issue that is common to this engine. GM has a special coverage adjustment (#11340A) that is having their dealerships changing out the defective timing chains up to the model year 2009. My vehicle is registered as a 2010 but has a build date of 11/09 and I believe should be included in this special coverage. I have been told by both GM and the dealership that they are going to be of no assistance in this matter. The repair will cost around $4500.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

May 132015

I have been hearing noise coming from vehicle for the last 2months, I have had 3 recalls on my vehicle in the last year.the noise is coming from the engine area, they meaning the machanics cannot figure out where the noise is coming from. Theyhave finally figured it out and its coming om the engine/also there was a recallon the anti freeze container and I brought it to kerbeck in atlantic city they said there is no problems/there is a leak coming from somewhere!! this veh is not worth my time and energy. Should I repair the product after there was a recall and no problems, im disgusted by this matter and if I could get a hold of a GM I would tell him where my thoughts are on this veh..

- Atlantic City, NJ, USA

May 112015

Brought the 2010 Chevy Traverse to dealer for a leaking water pump that was fixed under warranty in November. Vehichle was in reduced power mode once it was started up after work was completed on water pump. At that time I was informed the timing chain was stretched and had to be replaced. The GM dealer quoted me $1834 to replace. Unacceptable at this mileage for a timing chain to be stretched that much. GM needs to recall these vehichles for this and many other items and fix their junk that they turn out for top dollar. That isn't an easy tab to pick up for most of us.

- Anaconda, MT, USA

May 032015

Check-engine malfunction indicator light came on; vehicle rides rough and stalls occasionally; poor engine performance. Took vehicle to sts tire & auto bordentown NJ. Two codes were noted: P0011 and P0024 - camshaft position (timing over-advanced or system performance issue). Should be covered under powertrain warranty.

- Florence, NJ, USA

Apr 232015

For a couple of months my car was overheating. I checked the coolant levels and saw they were low, topped them off and paid it no mind. The engine light came on and then the car started reducing power while I was driving on the express way with no warning or indicator lights. To remedy this I would have to pull over and restart the car and for a day or two it would be fine. Strangely the engine light went off and I had no problem for weeks. I went to get a oil change at a non dealership shop and after the engine light came on. I went to the auto supply to get the code read and was told it was the code P0008, the clerk looked it up to find it is a common timing chain problem. He told me it was a saved code and that this is a repeat issue. I had the same problem occur and repaired under warranty in April 2012. I took the car to the dealership to be charged $67 to tell me the dreadful news and because I was out of warranty the repair would be out of pocket. Longer story short as I worked feverishly with GM customer assistance to get cost assistance the problem became worse. When I finally get a 50/50 split the car began over heating more quickly to the point I could not drive it. When I took the care to be repaired coolant was leaking and the water pumped needed to be replaced. In May 2013 I had my coolant topped off for what the dealership documented as recall 13079 water pump shafter seal leaks. I found out that the water pump leak can damage the timing chain. I think Chevrolet and GM should cover this cost when they knew the water would leak and would need replacing but not before it caused timing chain related driving issues.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Mar 042015

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving around 40 mph several dtc codes appeared on the dic including stability service and engine power reduced. Vehicle speed reduced significantly (20-30mph) while in moving traffic and extremely bad weather conditions. Took vehicle to the dealer who reported codes of P0008 (timing chain stretched), P2610 (ECM faults) and P2101 or P1122 (not sure but dealer stated throttle body control error). Vehicle is under 5 years old (purchased in Aug 2010) and under 100,000 miles to timing chain and ECM were covered in full under GM warranty. Throttle body coverage was removed in 2009 (per what I've read on the internet) and was not covered. Dealer agreed to split cost (they covered labor, I paid for parts at dealer cost). Good deal on the warranty and dealership's honorable effort to fix my 2010 Chevy Traverse but there are many complaints about the timing chain and throttle body and lost power while driving in traffic. This is a serious safety issue and GM should recall all vehicles involved and not wait until there is injury or death involved.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Feb 262015

Power steering needs to be replaced due to a high pitched noise and steering failure.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Apr 092014

Traverse 6-cyl

Purchased car used 47011, a little over 2 wks "check engine"=fuel pump control module, next was seat assembly. & alternator...whining. Engine noise reported, nothing problems detected at time due to problem being "intermittent"! contacted GM exec office reported issues, got file number--no resolution! received special coverage letter from Chevrolet dated Sept 2014 're: #14329 @ power steering pump with extension of warranty coverage. Took vehicle to chev dealership for two recalls (14030 & 14187) and check power steering...recalls handled, power steering pump replaced and installed new gear housing kit. One month later took back for state inspection, failed because now power steering rack leaking on both sides!!?! after reading several other similar accounts, I am convinced that the power steering pump and rack issues are contingent on the other...also hefty amount for repair $1500-1900; which I am also very concerned may just be a temporary fix!! we desperately need help correcting this injustice in lieu of safety concerns and being duped while investing in american-made products...please advise, research, and help us!! families and lives depend on it.

- Gloucester , VA, USA

Dec 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

Transmission seems like it slips when going from reverse to drive.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Nov 262014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 65 mph, the transmission downshifted independently. The electronic stability control and traction control indicators illuminated continuously. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 84,161.

- Elk Grove Village , IL, USA