CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2.2

2010 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Oct 152014

Traverse

On the highway doing around 65 mph, alarm chimes went off, display center showed "service stabilitrak", "service traction control", "engine power reduced". the car quickly decelerated to 10 mph and would not go any faster. Had to pull over and shut down. This was only one of the many times this has happened over the past year and a half. It has been in and out of the service center, diagnosed with 4 or 5 different issues, repaired 2 or 3 components all with the same outcome: The engine power reduced issue comes back. The dealer tells me it's a "new issue" every time so at this point I have no faith in their "fixes", I feel that when my wife, kids, or me are in the car I will eventually be in a horrific accident where we all die and hope that at least this message will come out then. GM has been sort of helpful but from my research/dealings with this issue (30+ hours), it seems like something that should have been recalled on several different model GM automobiles. I am at a loss. I haven't fixed the most recent issue ($700, transmission internal mode switch) in hopes that, using my own research/technical expertise, I can find the real issue behind these failures and not just what the "computer error codes" are pointing too. The irony in this "feature" is that, from my understanding, it goes into this engine power reduced mode for safety reasons so that you won't lose control of the car or other problem. Yet reducing the engine power on a busy highway or the pa turnpike where there is nowhere to safely pull over is the most dangerous problem of all. Notes for other consumers: So far the mechanic has flushed the throttle body (cleaned it), and replaced the timing belt. Taking to a different mechanic for a 2nd opinion on the most recent internal mode switch diagnosis.

- Bradford Woods, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Traverse

I was driving on highway going 70mph. Traction control/stabilitrak off came on dash along with park assist off. I felt the engine lose power and speed dropped to 25mph. I has to swerve and miss several cars from hitting me due to this reduce speed on the highway. Pressed on the peddle to speed up and the engine would not go past 1st gear ( well at least that's what it felt like) I had the car towed home. To afraid to drive. Took it to our shop and nothing was registered on the diagnostic code. Car seems fine now, just afraid to drive. Is there a recall for this?

- Covina, CA, USA

Nov 152013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering system and the engine coils failed and needed to be replaced. The power steering system was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was not available.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Nov 062015

Traverse

I have a 2010 Chevy Traverse with 67,000 miles on it. Check engine light comes on and detects timing chains. Take it to the dealership and $3200 later had new timing chains put on. There is no way with that amount of mileage that this should have to be repaired yet. When is this recall going to take effect!!!! on top of that the warranty expired in March, so no help what so ever..... GM needs to step up.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Oct 232015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the stabilitrac and motor power reduced indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the vehicle was shut off, restarted, and returned to normal for a few miles before the failure recurred. The contact stated that the failure recurred intermittently on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but it could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Philadelphia, MS, USA

Oct 232015

Traverse

My car could have gotten me killed. I was on my way to work, stopped at a stop sign and when I mashed the gas to go it said stability track off, motor reduced. My car literally was in the road with traffic coming. There was no way to turn it off. Another day I had to pull over on a four lane because it done the same and wouldn't go. This is so dangerous to anyone who has these Chevy Traverse.I have looked at many reviews and this is a big complaint out of hundreds of people on the same issue. It's a matter of time before someone is killed. It's not safe for an individual much less a family, because you never know when it's going to shut down. No shop can fix this problem. I've had new tires, sensor, and reset and it doesn't work. Please consider looking at all the reviews on these cars.

- Philadelphia, MS, USA

Aug 102015

Traverse

Timing chain is stretched after 102,000 miles; repair is $2500; GM extended the warranty for this problem on 2007 to 2009; the same problem exists for 2010 but GM has not extended the warranty; oil was changed regularly; timing chain should not go after 5 yrs, 100K miles. GM must extend warranty for this model year due to this ongoing design flaw.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 142015

Traverse

My Traverse just pulled a P0008 and P0017 engine code. After bringing it to the mechanic, I had an oil flush and induction system cleaning. The following day the P0008 code when off again. This is specific for the timing chain which is directly affecting the cam and crank positioning (creating sluggish performance and poor fuel economy) apparently there was a recall and warranty extension for 08-09 Chevy Traverses however that has not transferred over to my particular model year, which was built in 09 but sold as an 2010. The vehicle is 8 months out of warranty with only 66,000 miles on it. -(please note service bulletin 10287C date of issue April 13, 2012) (also note the letter sent to owners about the ECM reprogramming, did not resolve the problem and warranty extension would be provided for 10 years 120,000 miles)

- North Mankato, MN, USA

Sep 132015

Traverse

Car stalled out 1 month prior to this particular incident in the middle of a residential intersection. Check engine light did not come on either. Took the car into Goodyear for a check and nothing showed up on their computer, car was driven for 20 min without incident either. Was advised to try and use a fuel injection flush. Gasoline could be smelled inside the car after the stalling incident. 9/13/15: While driving on the freeway the check engine light came on, car started to slow down dramatically. Strong smell of gasoline started to seep into the car. Car finally stalled out as we approached the shoulder lane. The smell of gasoline was very strong at this point, inside and outside. Car was towed to Goodyear. Hooked up car to the computer and there were 6 things wrong with the car. Was told to take it into the Chevy dealership where I bought the car in 2010. Owner of Goodyear store also informed us that prior to our car coming in, 3 cars of the same make, model, and year came in this past year for the same problem. They advised all of the other 2010 Chevy Traverse owners to go back to the dealership. Brought in the car to dealership. Upon starting up my car, the entire service area started to smell of gasoline. Car was hooked up to the computer and I was then told that I would have to pay $2200 to fix the "multiple problems". the 5 out of 6 fuel injectors were misfiring. Fuel pump, injectors, spark plugs, and more need to be replaced. Check engine light never turned on once since I bought this car in 2010, until the incident on 9/13/15 on the freeway. My warranty just ran out in may of this year, without incident! now that my warranty has expired, this happens!

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Sep 112015

Traverse

Traction control warning light flashed on and off several times. When it was on the steering became difficult. Tried to pass a slow moving truck. Engine rpms when up but vehicle did not accelerate. Check engine light came on. Had mechanic check code and the following codes show up U0121, U0073 and U0121 he stated a product safety notice #14515B had been issued for this problem. Contacted a Chevy dealer and was told this was not a recall issue.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Feb 242015

Traverse

Me & my family were driving on the highway, doing 65 mph, & suddenly the chime in my vehicle goes off, & in the display window it reads service traction control, service stabilitrak & park assist off. Also the engine light & I believe the stabilitrak light come on. Then the vehicle just slows down & when I try to push the gas to go, it will not go over 20 mph. I put my hazard lights on & luckily I was just a few minutes from home. The next day I take my vehicle back to greg may Honda where I purchased it, they put it on that machine & they said I would have to take it to a Chevy dealership. That same day I take it & they tell me it's the throttle body. So I drive my vehicle home & try to come up with the money to make the repair & I take my vehicle to my personnel mechanic on Feb 27, 2015, they replace the throttle body for $521.79 (I do have receipt). 3 months later on May 23, 2015 the same problem happened again while I was out of town. 3 months after that on Aug 7, 2015 it did it. And again on Sept 1, 2015. I purchased this vehicle used on Nov 29, 2014, I only had it 3 months when it began to mess up on me. Each time it happened I am either on a busy city street or on the highway. I have 5 children in my vehicle & this is extremely dangerous for my family.

- Waco, TX, USA

Jul 112015

Traverse

Car was parked and running, turned off the key and pulled it out of ignition and the car stayed running. Had to put key back in and turn 'on', then turned off and it turned off the way it should. Concerned how this will affect my steering/electrical/brakes/ and anything else that the ignition affects.

- Midland, MI, USA

Jun 102015

Traverse

Engine appears to have a significant loss of power. Code P0008 comes up on the code reader and scanning the engine with a scan tool reveals that the timing chain is having issues. With some research I found NHTSA reference- 10043857 and tsb reference- sb-11340 for this issue. GM states that it was an issue with 2006 to 2009 models. I feel though that the problem has not gone away with the 2010 model as the customer service lady at GM seems to indicate. I also have heard that GM has extended the coverage to 10 years / 120K miles for this issue. Im getting nowhere with GM so far!

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Jan 152015

Traverse

I had my vehicle diagnosed with a timing chain issue that is common to this engine. GM has a special coverage adjustment (#11340A) that is having their dealerships changing out the defective timing chains up to the model year 2009. My vehicle is registered as a 2010 but has a build date of 11/09 and I believe should be included in this special coverage. I have been told by both GM and the dealership that they are going to be of no assistance in this matter. The repair will cost around $4500.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

May 132015

Traverse

I have been hearing noise coming from vehicle for the last 2months, I have had 3 recalls on my vehicle in the last year.the noise is coming from the engine area, they meaning the machanics cannot figure out where the noise is coming from. Theyhave finally figured it out and its coming om the engine/also there was a recallon the anti freeze container and I brought it to kerbeck in atlantic city they said there is no problems/there is a leak coming from somewhere!! this veh is not worth my time and energy. Should I repair the product after there was a recall and no problems, im disgusted by this matter and if I could get a hold of a GM I would tell him where my thoughts are on this veh..

- Atlantic City, NJ, USA

May 112015

Traverse

Brought the 2010 Chevy Traverse to dealer for a leaking water pump that was fixed under warranty in November. Vehichle was in reduced power mode once it was started up after work was completed on water pump. At that time I was informed the timing chain was stretched and had to be replaced. The GM dealer quoted me $1834 to replace. Unacceptable at this mileage for a timing chain to be stretched that much. GM needs to recall these vehichles for this and many other items and fix their junk that they turn out for top dollar. That isn't an easy tab to pick up for most of us.

- Anaconda, MT, USA

Feb 272015

Traverse

On the way to longview Texas, we were driving on the loop in palestine when the stabilitrak light came on, the check engine light came on, and park assist light came on. The vehicle lost power quickly and we had to cross two lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder. I am pregnant and my 3 year old was in the car. Vehicle was towed, I had to pay for a rental car. The bacon Chevrolet in palestine charged me $150 to run diagnostics and give me an oil change since that was due up. They fixed three recalls that were due on my vehicle I had owned for 1.5 yrs, then none of the lights came back on. Again on May 12th, yesterday, my vehicle stabilitrac light came on, check engine light came on, and the vehicle RPM's would go to about 3,000 only driving 40 mph. I was able to make it home and parked the car. My husband came out to check on it and the stabilitrak light had gone off but check engine light is still on. I called local dealership tom light Chevy and was told "there have been no issues with this", they must not get the internet there. This has been a huge problem with multiple owners of both the Traverse and the equinox (my sister has one that has the same issue) from the 2009 all the way to 2013 model from what I have seen. I want to know why there has been no recall and why we are paying to run diagnostics or to fix things when the lights come on again and tell us the issue is something else?! GM needs to do a recall or they are going to lose many customers with the way it is being handled. If these lights come on again soon, this will be three times in six months! I am looking at trading this vehicle in and telling everyone I know to stay away from GM if this is handled improperly.

- College Station , TX, USA

Apr 212015

Traverse

The timing chains of the engine stretched prematurely cause engine service check light to activate. Chains needed to be replaced to ensure proper functioning and prevent engine failure.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Mar 282015

Traverse

Truck was being driven on the freeway, driver accelerated to pass another vehicle and it acted as though it had run out of gas. It was pushed to the gas station and filled up with gas, then it wouldn't start and eventually the battery died. It was jump started and drove a few miles to the house with a knocking sound. Independent mechanic evaluated it and said the engine is blown. It had regular maintenance, without missing an oil change, all maintenance has always been done on this vehicle since it was bought brand new in June of 2010. There were three safety recalls, one including a gas tank issue, and although several messages were left on the "recall hotline", no return call was ever received. Mechanic says there is metal in the oil but the engine oil is not low.this vehicle is too new to have a blown engine. Help!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 172015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle vibrated and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA