CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2.2

2010 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 112016

Traverse

Our 2010 Traverse has just over 91,000 miles on it. We took our vehicle to a local GM dealer to have a check engine light diagnosed. The dealer came back and informed me we needed to have our timing belts replaced and would cost at least $3000 to repair. The more I dug into this diagnosis, I've come across numerous posts from other '09-'10 owners with the same issue. Some had experienced sudden loss in power while traveling at highway speeds and others hadn't even had a check engine light come on. There were some owners that had to have these items replaced at around 60,000mi. I have reached out to GM and they informed me that there is nothing they can do to help alleviate this cost, nor are they in a position to issue a recall. They also informed me that we missed the 'warranty period' by a year and a half and that there are no 'special bulletins' related to my vehicle. I asked if they had an increase in other calls about this same issue and they denied any knowing of this. My dealership told me that they are seeing such an increase in this issue that they keep an inventory of parts on hand and they perform at least 3 timing chain repairs a week. I'm fortunate that our dealership is working with us on doing what they can to alleviate some of the cost, but GM is not doing anything on their end to acknowledge there is a potential problem or willing to help out.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Sep 262016

Traverse

I am having timing chain issues as everyone else I have seen or read about my sub only 78,000 miles and GM will not extend the warranty on this part

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 032016

Traverse

I am writing because I have had this vehicle a little over 1 year and put less than 18,000 miles on it and yet it is constantly in the shop for costly repairs. I am currently wondering where drivetime sources these vehicles from because a used car should not have to be in the shop as much as my car is especially when drivetime's chosed extended warranty company aeverex only wants to pay for repairs that they deem fair to pay for which is a disadvantage for a buyer such as myself. I have consistently paid my note on time and got the run around for 2 weeks on the last repairs that aeverex took their time addressing. I don't mind making minor repairs like tires or maybe a hole in the muffler but to have to replace a timing chain within a week of the purchase and an engine flywheel and starter in barely a year of the purchase makes it seem as if these cars were broken down before being sold to unsuspecting customers such as myself by drivetime and their refusal to assist to the customers in their time of need makes it seem as if they were intentional on getting these damaged goods off of their hands. I am filing this formal complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration because this is an important issue as my car has stopped in the middle of oncoming highway traffic and I could have been killed. This vehicle is a true lemon and I only wished that I had done more research on drivetime before purchasing from them. I have had to replace wipers in the first month in addition to the timing chain and tires the next month, front brake lights, back brake lights, a flexplate, a flywheel, and multiple other repairs. Please respond and offer some type of assistance.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 272016

Traverse

My 2010 Traverse with 76,200 miles displayed the check engine light. I had it checked at a local parts store and the code was P0008. I took the Traverse to orr Chevrolet where it was diagnosed with slack in the timing chain. I contacted GM and they advised that they wouldn't do anything about it since it was a 2010 and out of the 5 year power train warranty. Despite the fact they had extended the warranty on the 2009 models because they had the same issue. This is a known defect on the Traverse and GM should recall and cover repairs. As it stands, I am about to pay $2300 to repair what is a known defect. GM made no significant design changes to prevent this defect from causing the chain to gain slack and cause engine issues to develop. The vehicle was moving at 35 mph when it initially came on but came back on after being reset while sitting in the lot of autozone. The Traverse should not have such a failure in only 72,000 miles, there is a defect and should be recalled in models later than 2009. The design changes if any for the 2010 models clearly didn't solve the issue. The vehicles is currently at the dealer, and I don't have the estimate or receipt at this time.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jul 302016

Traverse

Blown engine @. 55,000 miles while driving at normal speed.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 102016

Traverse

Car stopped functioning in middle of highway with no warning. Was very dangerous situation with 2 small children in the vehicle. No steering, no power brakes and no engine. Traverse was purchased new in Aug 2010 and has approx. 55,000 miles. Needs new engine. Had chain issues in Jan 2015.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 132016

Traverse

The timing chain has stretched and the dealer says it will take 19 hours to change it. Auto mfg went to timing chains from rubber belts, so they don't have to change it. The warranty is for 5 yrs or 100,000 miles. This is a known issue and the warranty for this expensive job should be extended. Once the chain brakes, the car is done. The car makes noise and doesn't accelerate properly because of this issue. First noticed the check engine light on about 6 months or so ago. It wasn't until we broke down in Canada that the dealer there said it was the timing chain when they replaced the throttle body.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Apr 012016

Traverse

At 84000 miles the emissions light came on yet nothing was a red flag while driving. No noises or anything seemed different. Had diagnostics completed and timing chain was stretched and needed replaced. Codes P0008, P0009, P0017 appeared. Cost $2500. Our warranty was up at 83000 miles. Seems this is a common problem yet the dealership never mentioned any of this during the sale. GM should have a recall on this!!

- Blue Earth, MN, USA

Apr 172015

Traverse

Apr.2015: Vehicle constantly stalled, engine light on at less than 60K. Oct. 2015: Had to replace the starter twice and repair the fly wheel. Repair costs=$2,000. Engine light still on. Timing chain problems, additional $2600 est. Costs. Vehicle needs inspection and will not pass with codes P0018-0007 stored. Not fair that we should have to incure these costs. GM should cover this under their "special policy" for known issues with this. Current vehicle mileage 80K. Car is not safe to drive. Engine could fail at any time.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

Apr 212016

Traverse

Vehicle keeps pulling code P0008. Gets sluggish after engine light comes on. Seems there was a recall for the 2009 models that were having the same issues.

- Central City, PA, USA

Mar 302016

Traverse

Major headaches with my 2010 chev Traverse with so many issues including recalls and the timing chain being replaced/repaired recently. And now, the engine failed....it needs a new or rebuilt engine. Unfortunately I'm beyond my warranty of 5 years / 100,000 miles. Cost with labor to replace the engine is about $7,000 +. it's not worth it and I still owe $4,800 on the loan. The dealer stated the timing chain issue was not related to the failed engine, but I'm not sure. I'm just frustrated with the Traverse.

- Florence, NJ, USA

Mar 142016

Traverse

At approximately 90,000 miles the check engine light came on and after it was evaluated at the Chevrolet dealership I was notified the timing chain went out and I had a gmpp extended warranty and the Chevrolet dealership repaired the timing chain. 6,000 miles later the check engine light appeared by flashing repeatedly and the engine seized and the dealership investigated and stated the catalytic converter disintegrated and pieces of the catalytic converter was sucked into the engine. They stated the engine had to be replaced. They claimed to contact GM and GM said they were aware of the issue but it was not considered a recall. GM offered to pay for $8,000 of the $10,000 total engine replacement. I was only offered a 12,000 mile warranty for the new engine. Now with 50,000 miles on the new engine the timing chain has gone out once again. I do not believe the issue with timing chains was resolved in 2010 with the new ECM; this issue continues as noted and seen with several complaints on this site.

- Park Forest, IL, USA

Mar 082016

Traverse

The stability/track light turned on while driving home from a meeting. The airbag service light goes on and off too.

- Jacobus, PA, USA

Jan 152015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine while idling. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to a Chevrolet dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain was defective and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 67,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Feb 082016

Traverse

While driving our vehicle some sensors starting to go off and we started losing power to the vehicle which in turn caused a huge and very dangerous situation. The Traverse we were driving showed a traction control, service stabilitrak signal. It began to lose power and slow down. If we were in the middle of the highway we would have wrecked, luckily we were not. I have noticed that this has been an issue on many other Traverse's as well as many other vehicles within the Chevrolet lineup, yet there is still no recall. I am not sure what needs to be done or if someone really needs to hurt before a recall is made, but someone need to make the right call before anyone gets hurt with this issue. I have contacted Chevrolet and they said it is a know issue but there is no recall for it, what needs to be done to make this recall happen, does someone need to seriously get hurt" it also appears that there are no fixes for this issue and it is just costing owners, more and more money to get repairs they don't really need. Where do I go from here"

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Feb 012016

Traverse

I purchased a 2010 Traverse from molle Chevy in blue springs 3 years ago. We have 61,000 miles and were sent letters to go have more recalls and "special adjustments" done. (Chevy's way of more recalls without calling them that) besides many other codes, this weeks P0008 code is a known timing chain issue. Since we took it in and it wasn't one of the special adjustments, they made us pay for the $90 diagnostic, wouldn't give me the car until I paid. Offered for "us" to pay and fix the problem and they would split the cost with us, went from $2,700 to $863, what a deal! it is a known defect! why should we pay a $1, we already paid for the vehicle"?? after holding are car hostage for the $90 and offering for us to pay for GM's fix, we have decided to check all reacall's and buy used with the least amount. I really hope the people get a dose of what they give in life. They have these people trained to sell a line of crap all the way from purchase to end of life on the vehicle. I know they are a necessary evil, but buyers beware, cars are the biggest waste of money, stress, and time. They don't pay for all your time for the recalls, why" buy a cheaper used car and check the recalls before you do. Don't buy new, you don't know what's wrong with them yet. No one looks cool in an costly car with a ton of issues. Life's to short. I would say don't go to Chevy but they are all similar to a point. Good luck, my Traverse is being sold this week. Sorry to whoever buys it from carmax. Always research!!!!! always buy at least a year old, gives time to find issues, 2 is better.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Aug 062015

Traverse

I am writing you this letter to file an official complaint against General Motors regarding my 2010 Chevy Traverse. On August 6th 2015, while driving my car 55mph, the engine seized causing loss of power steering and power breaks. As you can imagine, this put my family in a dangerous situation. Our licensed mechanic told us the reason the engine seized is a 'spun rod barring. we were told that a spun rod barring is a very uncommon mechanical issue and extremely uncommon in a car that is only 5 years old with only 71K miles on it. I called General Motors while the car was being repaired to discuss the problem. They were quite rude and refused to discuss the issue because I did not take my car to a certified GM repair shop. Therefore, I decided to send GM a letter explaining the situation. Attached is a copy of the letter, maintenance records, and photos of the spun rod barring I sent to GM. GM customer service called me on multiple occasions and verbally told me that they would not reimburse me or even look into the issue because I did not take my car to a certified GM repair shop for the repair. I asked customer service multiple times to send me this information in writing and they refused. To refuse standard customer service and avoid taking responsibility for a poorly engineered and manufactured engine simply because I did not take my car to a certified GM repair shop is inexcusable. I hope that you can assist me in receiving reimbursement for replacing the engine in my car and requiring GM to recall the engine. If you need any additional information please let me know. I have more documents than the website allows me to submit.

- Roscoe, IL, USA

Jan 112016

Traverse

My Traverse just pulled a P0008 and P0017 engine code. After bringing it to the mechanic, I had an oil flush and induction system cleaning. The following day the P0008 code when off again. This is specific for the timing chain and cylinder heads. Apparently there was a recall and warranty extension for 08-09 Chevy Traverses however that has not transferred over to my particular model year. My vehicle is 1 year out of warranty with only 63,000 miles on it. My repairs are to be an estimated $4,000 - $6,300 but am being offered a 50/50 split that I feel is still unacceptable on a vehicle with only 63,000 miles.

- Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Dec 222015

Traverse

Engine was running rough; vehicle was sluggish. Check engine light came on. Dealership, burlington Chevrolet, ran a diagnostic and there were some failed codes (P0011 and P008), all related to the camshaft and timing chains. To repair, it would cost about $2,700 since I was six months over the powertrain warranty. They contacted GM and they stated that it would cost me $681 plus tax. I agreed to have the repairs completed which also included replacing the waterpump which was leaking. I have read online that timing chain problems on have occurred more frequently on 2007-2010 Chevy Traverse, Saturn outlook, GMC acadia, and Buick enclave. All of these SUV's have the 3.6 liter V6 engine with dual overhead cams. What is happening on these vehicles is that the timing chains are stretching which leads to correlation errors with the cam sensors and actuators. After 2010, General Motors has seemed to correct the problem with updated chains and ECM calibrations.

- Florence, NJ, USA

Dec 132015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering rack and the power steering pump failed and needed to be replaced. The details were not available. In addition, the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The failure mileage was 75,827.

- Ruskin, FL, USA