CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2.2

2010 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 082017

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 60 mph, the stabilitrac warning and reduced engine power warning indicators illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 122016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving various speeds, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the air bag system failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA

Dec 232016

Traverse

My check-engine light came on while the vehicle was on a 300 mile trip, and the trouble codes at 2 different shops indicated that the timing chain had stretched and had to be replaced at 81,000 miles. Luckily, the vehicle did not breakdown on the highway. Prior to learning about similar problems in 2009 and some 2010 models, I had the chain replaced by a non GM mechanic. Since then I learned that GM has reimbursed or extended the warranty on select Traverse vehicles.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Dec 202016

Traverse

Not sure I should do this but it has occured 2 times bow. My Traverse eccelerator gets stuck down and you cant atop. The only way to stop is put in nutral if you have the time. I am afraid to have my wife deive this. It happened for the 2nd time since I have owned it the other day. The breaks wont worm unless you put it into nutral!!!

- Glencoe, MN, USA

Dec 082016

Traverse

I have an issue with the electrical system when the vehicle gets wet from rain or any kind of moisture I lose all warning chimes, blinkers on occasion, and the lights will flicker at times. Defective timing chains in a vehicle that was manufactured in 2009 where an extended warranty was issued for vehicles having faulty timing chains but since my vehicle was sold as a 2010 I don't qualify for the special extended warranty. While driving around a bend with the defective timing chain I have encountered a loss of power on the highway which almost caused a wreck while my kids were in the car on a trip.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Dec 142016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled and a warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Durant, IA, USA

Dec 012016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving various speeds, the check engine, traction control, and stabilitrak warning indicators illuminated and the vehicle's power independently reduced. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,940.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 072016

Traverse

At approximately 92,000 miles I started getting error code P0008 on my 2010 Chevy Traverse. The light would come on for a few days, then off for a day or two, until finally it just stayed on all of the time. The acceleration was very poor, and the gas mileage poor as well (compared to what it had previously been getting). I change my oil well before the meter in the car tells me to, usually before 5000 miles. Dealer said the timing chains stretched due to excessively dirty oil, but as stated earlier, I always changed the oil before the meter said to change the oil. Dealer replaced all tensioners and chains and resealed the front cover and refilled fluids. GM covered 45% of cost even though vehicle was beyond warranty period. For a job that usually would cost about $2300, I paid $1336. I've read that others have had this problem with the 3.6L V6 on the early model Traverses and other gms with the same engine. I believe that the reason that I got up to 92,000 miles is because I change my oil so regularly. The lack of acceleration was very unsafe for merging into traffic in denver, especially when it first began happening, unexpectedly. Vehicle was having trouble holding speed on hills on fast streets. If problem had gotten worse, vehicle would have not been drivable.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Dec 302015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle drove abnormally rough and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. An independent mechanic diagnosed that the timing chain stretched and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 118,000.

- Barnhart, MO, USA

Nov 272016

Traverse

Stability control and check engine light and transmission wont work park and now it dosent work why no recall too many complaints.

- San Jacinto, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. Upon starting the vehicle, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain was failing and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 115,000.

- Iowa Falls, IA, USA

Nov 112016

Traverse

Our 2010 Traverse has just over 91,000 miles on it. We took our vehicle to a local GM dealer to have a check engine light diagnosed. The dealer came back and informed me we needed to have our timing belts replaced and would cost at least $3000 to repair. The more I dug into this diagnosis, I've come across numerous posts from other '09-'10 owners with the same issue. Some had experienced sudden loss in power while traveling at highway speeds and others hadn't even had a check engine light come on. There were some owners that had to have these items replaced at around 60,000mi. I have reached out to GM and they informed me that there is nothing they can do to help alleviate this cost, nor are they in a position to issue a recall. They also informed me that we missed the 'warranty period' by a year and a half and that there are no 'special bulletins' related to my vehicle. I asked if they had an increase in other calls about this same issue and they denied any knowing of this. My dealership told me that they are seeing such an increase in this issue that they keep an inventory of parts on hand and they perform at least 3 timing chain repairs a week. I'm fortunate that our dealership is working with us on doing what they can to alleviate some of the cost, but GM is not doing anything on their end to acknowledge there is a potential problem or willing to help out.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Sep 262016

Traverse

I am having timing chain issues as everyone else I have seen or read about my sub only 78,000 miles and GM will not extend the warranty on this part

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 032016

Traverse

I am writing because I have had this vehicle a little over 1 year and put less than 18,000 miles on it and yet it is constantly in the shop for costly repairs. I am currently wondering where drivetime sources these vehicles from because a used car should not have to be in the shop as much as my car is especially when drivetime's chosed extended warranty company aeverex only wants to pay for repairs that they deem fair to pay for which is a disadvantage for a buyer such as myself. I have consistently paid my note on time and got the run around for 2 weeks on the last repairs that aeverex took their time addressing. I don't mind making minor repairs like tires or maybe a hole in the muffler but to have to replace a timing chain within a week of the purchase and an engine flywheel and starter in barely a year of the purchase makes it seem as if these cars were broken down before being sold to unsuspecting customers such as myself by drivetime and their refusal to assist to the customers in their time of need makes it seem as if they were intentional on getting these damaged goods off of their hands. I am filing this formal complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration because this is an important issue as my car has stopped in the middle of oncoming highway traffic and I could have been killed. This vehicle is a true lemon and I only wished that I had done more research on drivetime before purchasing from them. I have had to replace wipers in the first month in addition to the timing chain and tires the next month, front brake lights, back brake lights, a flexplate, a flywheel, and multiple other repairs. Please respond and offer some type of assistance.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 272016

Traverse 6-cyl

My 2010 Traverse with 76,200 miles displayed the check engine light. I had it checked at a local parts store and the code was P0008. I took the Traverse to orr Chevrolet where it was diagnosed with slack in the timing chain. I contacted GM and they advised that they wouldn't do anything about it since it was a 2010 and out of the 5 year power train warranty. Despite the fact they had extended the warranty on the 2009 models because they had the same issue. This is a known defect on the Traverse and GM should recall and cover repairs. As it stands, I am about to pay $2300 to repair what is a known defect. GM made no significant design changes to prevent this defect from causing the chain to gain slack and cause engine issues to develop. The vehicle was moving at 35 mph when it initially came on but came back on after being reset while sitting in the lot of autozone. The Traverse should not have such a failure in only 72,000 miles, there is a defect and should be recalled in models later than 2009. The design changes if any for the 2010 models clearly didn't solve the issue. The vehicles is currently at the dealer, and I don't have the estimate or receipt at this time.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jul 302016

Traverse

Blown engine @. 55,000 miles while driving at normal speed.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 102016

Traverse

Car stopped functioning in middle of highway with no warning. Was very dangerous situation with 2 small children in the vehicle. No steering, no power brakes and no engine. Traverse was purchased new in Aug 2010 and has approx. 55,000 miles. Needs new engine. Had chain issues in Jan 2015.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 132016

Traverse

The timing chain has stretched and the dealer says it will take 19 hours to change it. Auto mfg went to timing chains from rubber belts, so they don't have to change it. The warranty is for 5 yrs or 100,000 miles. This is a known issue and the warranty for this expensive job should be extended. Once the chain brakes, the car is done. The car makes noise and doesn't accelerate properly because of this issue. First noticed the check engine light on about 6 months or so ago. It wasn't until we broke down in Canada that the dealer there said it was the timing chain when they replaced the throttle body.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Apr 012016

Traverse

At 84000 miles the emissions light came on yet nothing was a red flag while driving. No noises or anything seemed different. Had diagnostics completed and timing chain was stretched and needed replaced. Codes P0008, P0009, P0017 appeared. Cost $2500. Our warranty was up at 83000 miles. Seems this is a common problem yet the dealership never mentioned any of this during the sale. GM should have a recall on this!!

- Blue Earth, MN, USA

Apr 172015

Traverse

Apr.2015: Vehicle constantly stalled, engine light on at less than 60K. Oct. 2015: Had to replace the starter twice and repair the fly wheel. Repair costs=$2,000. Engine light still on. Timing chain problems, additional $2600 est. Costs. Vehicle needs inspection and will not pass with codes P0018-0007 stored. Not fair that we should have to incure these costs. GM should cover this under their "special policy" for known issues with this. Current vehicle mileage 80K. Car is not safe to drive. Engine could fail at any time.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA