Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 10 of 14)

Jul 102013

My Traverse loses power steering at low speeds. When pulling into or out of a parking spot there is no power steering. Also occurs when turning to make a U turn when at low RPM. This started in July 2013 and has been getting worse. I have taken to the dealer 3 times without any confirmed diagnose. The lack of power steering makes it very difficult to maneuver in parking lots or parking garages. They noted a small leak on the rack and pinion but do not believe that it is related to the power steering problem at low speeds. The steering works great at speeds higher then 30mph.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Feb 182014

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving into parking lot, slowing down, the power steering failed and I was no longer able to steer the Traverse, unless I applied power (accelerated on the gas pedal). I brought the vehicle into the dealership. They diagnosed the problem as a leaking power steering pump and the rack and pinion was faulty, both which needed to be replaced (at significant cost, over $2,000).

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Dec 132013

Started with intermittent loss of power steering at low speeds making tight turns. Then noticed hesitant/jerky steering on the highway, with loud rattle in front end. As with all the others, got the run around from the local Chevy repair shop, and also with GM customer service - would not acknowledge or even talk about all the similar complaints. I got GM customer service to go good for most of the repair cost of installing a new power steering pump and steering gears. All after 3 trips to the repair shop, the first time they insisted I just needed a power steering flush - 2nd time they put in the pump, 3rd time finally "found" the leaky gear. Let's hope this holds out - drove good for the 40 mile trip home.

- Big Falls, MN, USA

Feb 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving my Chevy Traverse on a main road when it started making a loud noise, steering wheel got very stiff and it was hard for me to steer. I immediately tried making a left turn in order to pull into a residential block and out of harms way. It was really hard for me to try to drive my vehicle and get both me and my child out of harms way. Thankfully, I was able to park it in a safe spot and out of the way of on coming traffic. If I wouldn't have reacted quickly and used all of my strength to try to steer the vehicle it could've turned into a tragic accident. I was very afraid for both me and my child. GM/Chevy should place an immediate recall on this before someone gets hurt. Now my truck is in the shop and I am looking at a cost of $2100 for a power steering pump. I bought this vehicle thinking it was a safe crossover for my family.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Nov 212013

Traverse 6-cyl

While turning the car going forward or reversing right or left the steering will lockup. It feels like the power steering goes out. I can start the turn with no trouble and mid way through it can lock up and then release again. This is not always consistent though and doesn't happen on every turn. This has many times caused me to almost not make my turn. When it locks up it take both hands and all my strength and weight to pull on the wheel to complete a turn. Again not consistent. Sometimes it never happens during a drive. Other times it happens on almost every turn. There are also times that it is hard to turn when I first try or start a turn. I can sometimes recreate it if I start a turn, not turning the wheel the full turn I need and then pull more on the wheel... it seems to lock up most times. But again not always. The dealership lithia looked at it for us once and found some moisture in an area they thought may have been causing an issue and replaced a seal but this was several months ago and it didn't change a thing. We are taking it in again today and hope that they find something as I feel this is a safety issue.

- Helena, MT, USA

Feb 172014

I see complaints about the power steering going out. While my car was under factory warranty, I complained to the dealership about the whinning sound in the steering column. The problem could not be duplicated while it was there. Now the power steering rack is being replaced. I see complaints about this problem and that it is not covered under extended warranties. Mine is and I am sooo very grateful. I have a new house a new clean garage floor. My husband and son first saw the leak on the new garage floor. We found he problem early. My son crawled under the car and took a pic of where it was leaking and I sent it to my service advisor. He called me back and told me to get the car in. I wasn't experiencing problems yet. I was lucky. If so many other people are having problems, why isn't there a recall?

- Mustang, OK, USA

Feb 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Went to pick up my car from inspection and technician had difficulty steering the car in the lot. Diagnosed as possible electric pump steering issue. Already have been told I needed to replace rack & pinion but used leak stop and so far has been holding. Car can't even be steered to get out of parking lot. How much money will this cost now? I feel Chevrolet has many cars with similar issues. It is time for them to take responsibility.

- Gap, PA, USA

Feb 082014

Traverse 6-cyl

I took the listed vehicle to the shop for its yearly state inspection. They informed me that rack and pinion needed to be replaced, that is was leaking fluid. Before this I did notice a whining sound when I turned the vehicle at low speeds also harder to turn.

- Glen Allen , VA, USA

Feb 082014

My spouse was driving the car and tried to make a turn at an intersection and almost hit the car in the oncoming lane because the steering became very difficult. Managed to drive the car into a parking lot where the problem came and went, eventually just had it towed to a mechanic. The car did not exhibit the problem for the mechanic so he could not diagnose the problem. Now we are afraid to drive the car.

- Marcellus, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Traverse ls brand new from a dealer and am now having serious issues with the steering locking up. My wife was driving the Traverse into our neighborhood, as she turned off the main street into the neighborhood the steering locked and she could not come out of the turn. She had to almost stop the vehicle completely for the steering to unlock so she could continue. She almost hit a parked car and was almost struck by another car as she had to stop half way through her turn to unlock the steering. The problem only continued to worsen, steering locking more often and causing numerous near misses. Almost striking cars, buildings, fences and curbs. It mostly happens at slower speeds, 35mph or less and has caused us to hit our garage trying to pull in or out. It has, however happened a few times at higher speeds while driving through curves on the highway and city streets, 45-70 mph. Was taken to the dealer in December 2013 and diagnosed as rack and pinion issue. Rack and pinion has been replaced twice(not under warranty) and the problem still exists. I have done research online line and this is happening to many people that own Traverse, acadia, enclave and outlooks all with the same steering components. Something needs to be done to get GM to rectify this issue before someone has to die or be seriously injured due to this problem.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Jan 192014

Traverse 6-cyl

The 19 of January 2014 I was turning left on an intersection and my Chevy Traverse started to make a noise when I turn left. Since then is getting constant every time I turn left. It sound like a steering gear.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Feb 012013

Car began to emit a groan noise while turning and only got worse from there. Today leaking P/S fluid a plenty. Dealership relates need for new power steering pump and steering rack along with an alignment. Total estimated cost: $1625.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Nov 012013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving between 3-5 mph, the power steering malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become stiff. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was repaired by both an independent mechanic and an authorized dealer, who both flushed the steering but to no avail. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- New Ulm, MN, USA

Jan 062014

Traverse 6-cyl

While turning the vehicle at relatively low speeds (under 25 mph) the steering would suddenly lock up and become very hard to turn. The problem was somewhat intermittent creating a more dangerous situation as the steering wheel would be very hard to turn and suddenly get easier and then hard again causing over-compensation in mid turn. The problem was diagnosed as the "steering rack binding" and ultimately resulted in the replacement of the steering rack and the power steering pump.

- Surf City, NC, USA

Jan 162013

My 2010 Chevy Traverse is very hard to turn and is now making a horrible noise and is messing with the gas intake... it is very hazardous not being able to turn when you need to turn. I have researched it online and found an abundant of people with the same problem.

- Cross, SC, USA

Jan 172014

Traverse 6-cyl

At about 53000 miles my wife started to notice a small intermittent whining sound coming from the front end. Now we loose steering at low speeds like turning a corner( very dangerous). It is going to the dealer on Monday, I am guessing we will need a new rack and pinion.

- Blomkest, MN, USA

Jan 172014

Traverse 6-cyl

Car making loud noise while turning and its very hard to steer. Took it to the Chevy dealership they said there is a leak in power steering rack and it cost around $1500 to get it fixed. I see im not the only one having this issue with this model.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jan 142014

Traverse 6-cyl

My car, a 2010 Chevy Traverse ltz, had been making a loud sound upon starting. If the car was not allowed to warm up, it became difficult to steer. We took it to the mechanic, thinking it might just be low on power steering fluid. The mechanic stated that our steering column was shredded, and that there were metal shaving in the power steering fluid. It costs $2400 to fix. We have also had the air conditioning go out twice this summer.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Oct 172012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact mentioned that while driving 20 mph, the power steering malfunctioned making it almost impossible to turn the steering wheel in order to maneuver the vehicle. The contact vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering pump and power steering rack and pinion were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 45,000.

- West Chest, PA, USA

Dec 212013

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife drove her vehicle (this vehicle) home, and noticed once she slowed down in our subdivision that she virtually lost all ability to control the steering of her car. She was able to make it in to our garage at great effort on her end! later that day, we attempted to drive it again and simply could not budge or with great difficulty the steering wheel. It begun to snow that afternoon and so we did not persist getting on the road. We did a few days later and noticed that at slightly higher speeds the handling of the vehicle improved, but at lower speeds we again we unable to steer the car. Research online revealed many other owners with similar experience. There is no recall. Repair blogs on this vehicle have had owners replace their rack and pinion, power steering pump, and power steering gear. Our dealer informed us the pump had to be replaced and recommended we replace the gear, we could not afford this. We have not yet driven the now "repaired" vehicle. GM advised us to contact NHTSA!

- Redford, MI, USA