Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 12 of 14)

Jun 142013

Traverse 6-cyl

We are having the same problems and issues that so many other owners have listed on the site. The power steering goes out at random times with no set pattern, rhyme, or reason. However, as many others have noted, it seems to mostly occur at low speeds(less than 25 mph), going into curves, and parking lots. Ours began to do this about three months ago. The most frightening event occurred when my wife was driving with our three young children and the steering became so stiff and unresponsive while negotiating a curve on the highway she nearly veered off the road. I took the Traverse to a certified independent mechanic that I have used for 20 years and trust completely, he could find no problems. The computer codes came back showing no issues and the power steering fluid was at recommended levels. This is a major hazard that needs to be addressed immediately before someone is seriously injured. There is obviously a flaw somewhere with the vast number of complaints that have been filed. I noticed a pattern of so many owners taking the Traverse to a dealer to have either the power steering and/or rack and pinion replaced, but to no avail as the problems with the steering still persisting. I am old enough to have driven older model vehicles and farm implements that did not have power steering and on the random, unsuspecting occasions when this problem arises the difficulty of handling this Traverse is well beyond attempting to maneuver one of those machines. The steering virtually locks up. My wife is 5' 110 lbs. And I am 6' 200 lbs. And it takes everything I have to turn the wheel when this happens. I am no longer comfortable with my wife driving this vehicle, especially with my three young children in tow. A solution needs to found asap. Otherwise unfortunately, my patriotic feelings will subside and I will go back to buying Honda products again.

- Monticello, KY, USA

Aug 222013

Traverse 6-cyl

While turning right at a corner the power steering unexpectedly stopped working and I had to muscle the steering wheel over to avoid colliding into a car that was stopped at the stop light. I don't believe my wife would have had the strength to do this since it happened so unexpectedly. I had a few more similar occurrences all at low speeds and when turning. When I brought it into the dealer I found out that the power steering pump was failing. The car is only 3 1/2 years old and since it's over the warranty I had to pay the very expensive cost of replacing the power steering pump. Since then when I've searched the internet I've seen numerous other complaints at around this mileage for the 2010 Traverse.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Aug 052013

Traverse 6-cyl

When I was turning into my driveway the steering got very stiff almost to the point I felt the steering was locking up. I have a small child and fear that this is a big problem with the Traverse.

- North Dighton, MA, USA

Apr 152013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, there was a loss of power steering without warning. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who informed the contact that both the power steering pump and the rack and pinion would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Ft. Jennings, OH, USA

Jun 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Loss of power steering and intermittent locking /failure/ inability to turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. Difficulty turning into parking spaces - no power steering. Nearly missed my turn, heading directly at a road sign trying to make a right turn at approx 15 mph. Had to completely stop (in the middle of the road & oncoming traffic) to 'unlock' the wheel and complete my turn. This is a safety issue that should be corrected before someone gets hurt! took 2010 Traverse to Chevy dealer - they said it was a 'common problem'. just paid $700 to replace my power steering pump & hoping that fixes the problem. My car is only 3 years old! Chevy should be ashamed.

- Stillwater, MN, USA

May 152013

Traverse 6-cyl

Driving at low speeds while turning it becomes very difficult to turn. Lose power steering.

- Bartlesville , OK, USA

Jun 152013

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering abruptly failed on multiple occasions when making turns at approximately 25 mph or less causing near collisions over the course of a couple weeks.. frequency continued to increase so it happened multiple times on a daily basis. Took to local dealership and they couldn't find problem so changed power steering fluid and flushed system. Later that same day the same problem occurred again. I am concerned to let my wife drive the vehicle. Dealership thinks the power steering pump needs to be replaced. Searched online and it appears many Traverse owners are experiencing similar issues. Is there a potential recall on this issue ?

- Morrison, IL, USA

Aug 022013

Traverse 6-cyl

I was turning into my driveway when the power steering locked. By very "brute force" I was able to force it back thus avoiding a collision with the retaining wall. Later in the week I took the car to a auto body repair to remove a minor dent. The owner of the repair shop experienced the same "lock" up when driving the car into his garage. I then when on line googled "2010 Traverse steering problems" I was taken back at the plethora of complaints and comments filed. I took the car to an independent mechanic and he & I reviewed the complaints. We concluded it was the rack & pinion thus it was replaced. No so. The lock up occurred again last evening when turning into my driveway. This morning I took it back to the mechanic. He is replacing the rack and pinion he put in yesterday and putting in a new power steering pump. Try "chatting" with a GM representative on line. They are experts at deflecting questions and giving you the run around. Since GM owes the United States$ & I am part of the us, the next step is to contact my senators and congress person and demand a recall of the Traverse' from this debtor.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

May 132013

Traverse 6-cyl

While traveling below 15 mph the power steering stops working and requires a strong effort to turn the wheel. The problem has not gone away and is getting more frequent. I took it to the dealer on on 8 August 2013 and was told that I would have to replace the power steering pump and the rack and pinion (cost approximately $1,500). I asked if this was a common problem and the service tech said know. Now I have found out is is a common problem.

- Warren, MI, USA

May 162013

Traverse 6-cyl

At speeds of 40 mph and slower, the power steering is unresponsive and stops working. This problem is recurring. Most notably when turning onto side roads after slowing down, and also when making turns into parking lots and parking spaces. This steering problem is a hazard to not only the vehicle driver/occupants, but as well as other drivers on the road.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Aug 082013

Traverse 6-cyl

Notification that was sent to chevorlet's web site I recently purchased a used 2010 Traverse. Took it on the typical two mile test drive found no issues. After owning it now for several months I'm having problems with the power steering failing. It is usually at lower speeds when turning in driveway or parking lots. Today I was in the middle of sharp curve, low speed, approx. 35 mph, and the power steering went out just as another car was coming from the opposite direction. I was able to react properly and keep the vehicle on the roadway. My concern is that my teenage daughter who is just learning to drive would not have reacted properly in that situation and people could be serious injured and/or killed. My other concern is that this seems to be a common issue with this model, according to NHTSA web site and many other Traverse owners web forums. I cannot afford to replace the steering system and this is my family's primary vehicle. I'm left with putting money over safety. Please document this complaint.

- Berwick, ME, USA

Sep 052012

Traverse 6-cyl

Original owner; starting at approximately 39,000miles on odometer, driving at low speeds, at or below 40mph power steering inoperable. Very difficult to steer when power steering goes out.

- Hartselle, AL, USA

Aug 062013

Traverse 6-cyl

When turning left at stop light or parking lot at low speed the steering wheel is very hard to turn. The dealership advised that the power steering pump needed to be replaced.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Aug 012013

When I purchased my vehicle, I noticed steering was more difficult than my 2001 Nissan Altima. It is a heavier vehicle so I at first attributed the issue to that. As time has passed, the steering has become more difficult and actually requires force at slow speeds or in parking lots to turn the vehicle. I noticed this has become hazardous when pulling out of my neighborhood and being unable to fully complete the turn as the steering had completely locked up. I have a 2 year old and a baby due in October. I purchased the car because I needed a safer vehicle and am very disappointed that I feel no safer than I did in my Nissan Altima. I have seen the number of comments on this issue and am extremely concerned Chevy hasn't done anything about it. I will not buy another.

- Bluff City, TN, USA

Jul 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

At 15 mph or lower steering gets so hard to steer almost feels like it is locking up. I see others having the same problem. This is a hazard to the driver and passengers and others cars!

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 032010

When turning from left to right steering became difficult and the rack and pinion was making a roaring sound. Sales auto cherv dealer fix the problem. I am concern that the rack and pinion might start leaking and cause me to have an accident. This should be a major concern of General Motors. After reading the incident reports, this must be happening to all of the Traverses. Some owners have no clue. After three months being the Chevrolet Traverse owner this happen and I have had to have it checked each time I go for service. Please have General Motors to look into this issue regarding the steering of the front rack and pinion. Chevrolet owner

- Warsaw, NC, USA

Jun 272013

At low speeds, loss of power steering. Requires extra force to turn steering wheel. Took to dealer and dealer replaced rack and pinion, and did not fix problem. Charged $1200.

- Partridge, KY, USA

Jan 302013

We were driving in a parking lot when we first noticed the steering going out. It was minimal at first, and my husband checked the power steering fluid. He saw nothing wrong with the levels. As the months have continued the steering has gotten worse, almost to the point where I can no longer drive it. There are multiple occasions, the latest is today, where I was going on the off ramp to my exit and it went out as I was rounding the corner. I have to keep a tight grip on the steering wheel to control the turn. It came back in quickly and I was about 2 inches from hitting the barrier wall and crashing. I also had my two toddlers in the car with me. With so many complaints why hasn't something been done" like a recall" I have contacted my cousin who works for GM to see if there is anything that can done and have referred him to this site.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Feb 082013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering assist without warning. The steering wheel required excessive force in order for the contact to continue driving. The failure became progressively worse over a period of time. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to duplicate the problem. The vehicle contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Jun 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

At slow speeds the power steering fails. This is very dangerous because it usually occurs in parking lots. Why is there no recall since this is a common and dangerous problem"?"

- Manalapan, NJ, USA