CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 5 of 14)

Aug 142014

Traverse

We have owned our 2010 Traverse for a few years now. The steering problem has gotten horrible for the past 6 months. We now live in spain and as a military member I can't just go out and buy a brand new car. Chevrolet owners and board members need to come together and get this problem fixed. I think it will have to take a person to die in a car accident for them to ever give a damn about this issue that they have with one of their top selling cars. I love my Traverse but I have tired of pouring money into this common problem I am starting to notice that everyone has. I started to do research and on every online site people are having horrible problems with the steering. I really need someone to take a deep look into this problem and their CEO's and board members need to do a major recall on the Traverse platform and have this problem looked at.

- Fpo, AE, USA

Feb 102014

Traverse

While switching lanes, the power steering suddenly became hard to use. It was scary but luckily it reengaged a short time later. It's happened many times since then and it doesn't seem to follow a set a pattern. I'm afraid it will fail when I really need it.

- Aberdeen, MD, USA

Aug 102014

Traverse 6-cyl

We bought our 2010 Chevy Traverse lt with approx. 62,000 miles. At approx. 67,000 miles we experienced a zipper type sound with the steering, this sound can be intermittent and at all speeds. At about the same time we experienced that the steering to be very hard and almost impossible to turn at speeds between 5 and 35 mph. The steering is almost impossible to turn when pulling into and out of a parking space. The steering is just as impossible to turn when having to quickly turn at speeds as high as 35 mph. This usually happens when changing lanes or onto another road. Another time that the steering becomes unsafe is when stopped at a stop sign and trying to turn from a stopped position. This has put my family at risk at numerous times. We love the Traverse and were impressed with the steering response when we first bought the vehicle. This is a major concern as it is a safety concern, and research shows that this is not a isolated to our vehicle. We have talked to other people with the same GM platform, and web forums also, show that this is a problem wider spread then just a few vehicles. There should be no reason the steering fails in a quality made vehicle, especially at below 100,000 miles.

- Heath, OH, USA

Aug 092014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving home from Florida back to Indiana when I pulled off the interstate to realize my power steering was not working. The steering was so difficult I didn't think I could make the turn. My family of five had a very scary ride home. We paid a big price for this Chevy and didn't expect major problems at only 60,000 miles. This may be our last Chevy purchase.

- Gas City, In, IN, USA

Aug 082014

Traverse

While turning the power steering stops working.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 082014

Traverse

While turning the power steering stops working.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 272013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering failed while the steering wheel was being turned. The dealer stated that the power steering fluid needed to be flushed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Schaumberg, IL, USA

Feb 042013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn to the left and right. The failure made it difficult to park the vehicle in reverse. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Cambridge, MD, USA

May 082014

Traverse 6-cyl

Strayed hearing a humming noise from the steering column that changed as acceleration changed, then started having trouble steering in a turn at slow speeds, could feel a tightness in the steering column. Took to the dealer who stated it is a leak in the rack & pinion apparatus and will cost $1900 to repair. They reported that it is commonly needed at 60-80,000 miles (my vehicle has 70,000). I am hoping this will fix the problem but after reading others complaints, I am worried it will still be unsafe to drive. I do feel GM should respond to these common issues and repair their faulty vehicles before someone gets hurt.

- Mundelein , IL, USA

Jul 062010

Traverse 6-cyl

Vehicle has always had a rubbing noise coming from the steering column. I have complained multiple times over the 4 years that I have owned the vehicle. Dealer has made minor adjustments to the base of the column and also changed the steering gear. The problem has come back with increasing effort to steer the car. Now the dealership states the car is not under warranty and 12 months have elapsed since the replacement.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jun 032014

Traverse 6-cyl

When driving at slow rates of speed in a parking lot or after a red light or stop sign turning in either direction, the steering becomes extremely difficult to maneuver. I have to use extreme strength to steer. Prior to this I could hear knocking every so often on the right side. I am very concerned that the in and out losses of power steering can cause a serious accident. I purchased my vehicle brand new in 2011. I didn't think I should be having this problem so soon. Please let me know if there has been a recall for this problem.

- Bogalusa, LA, USA

Jul 152014

Traverse

While driving at slow speed, our Chevy Traverse's power steering fails to work and the vehicle becomes difficult to control. The problem has been getting worse and is almost always noticeable when parking and backing the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a Chevy dealership and they stated the vehicle needed the power steering fluid changed. On the way home after the fluid service, the power steering briefly failed as I was making a left turn from being stopped. I had to slow in front of on coming traffic to regain control of the vehicle so I could safely complete the turn. I now feel the vehicle is unsafe for my family to ride in and poses a risk to the general public.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Aug 292013

Traverse

My 2010 Traverse has about 56,000 miles on it but for about the last 300-500 a humming noise has been coming from the steering column. It has gradually been getting worse and I had started noticing what I would describe as varying degrees of pressure needed to steer it. It would also occasionally have what I describe as a hiccup feel when I turn it once in awhile. Took into dealer to have it diagnosed and was told that new pump is needed. Also there were a couple of leaks coming from the various locations of the steering system. Quoted a replacement cost of $1653. Chevrolet, please fix this situation!

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jul 302014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving and I heard the check engine alert (3 dings). The warning said service traction control service stabilitrak. After that, the car would take longer and I had to press a lot harder on the gas to accelerate. There are about 3 forums which all include complaints like this however the dealer is saying they will not recall the throttle body which is the part that they are replacing. The throttle body is also in several other GMC vehicles such as the acadia

- Schertz, TX, USA

Mar 142013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering failed while driving various speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Russellville, KY, USA

Jul 012014

Traverse

2010 Chevrolet Traverse. Consumer writes in regards to power steering pump malfunction. Also, the tire pressure monitoring system light illuminated. The dealer stated the tire pressure sensors needed to be replaced. However, the consumer decided to get a second opinion, and was informed there was nothing wrong with the sensors, the issue was the vehicle.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Apr 022012

Traverse

When my 2010 Chevy Traverse was approximately 2 years old, became increasing difficult to steer. Took to Chevy dealer was told that it was known issue and that Chevy said to replace power steering fluid. After that was completed, it was still hard to steer, dealer said to wait a few weeks to work it in! became worse and worse. Power steering just not working. Difficult to park vehicle and dangerous as if you need to quickly turn could be almost impossible. Chevy dealer said needs new power steering pump, over $2000 repair. Finally got vehicle repaired in 2013 elsewhere at a local mechanic for approximately $1300. Chevy needs to man up and recall this before disaster strikes and also reimburse those of us who shelled out big bucks for repairs.

- Albrightsvile, PA, USA

May 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Having hard steering at low speeds! have read many threads about this! also have had oil being sucked up into engine intake and burned into engine causing premature converter and O2 sensor failure! also have check engine light for P0008 due to crankshaft reluctor moving?

- Taylorsville, KY, USA

May 042013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering failed intermittently. The contact also mentioned that the steering wheel seized causing the vehicle to become difficult to maneuver. The failure continued to become progressively worse over time. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Mar 052014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph and making a right turn, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. In addition, the brakes made an abnormal noise and excessive force was applied to the brake pedal in order to slow down or stop the vehicle. The failure occurred on two separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering intermediate shaft and vacuum brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 53,470.

- Borchester, MA, USA