CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Dec 092013

Traverse

Driving on the highway and all of a sudden there was an alert on the dashboard saying that "traction control off" then immediately after another alert came on stating that "engine power has been reduced". I was unable to accelerate fully. I turned the car off and back on and it reset it but the same alerts came back on minutes later. The next day I took it to the dealership and they said the throttle body had to be replaced. This seems to be a common occurrence for these vehicles and after researching online I have found hundreds of others that have had the same problem. This is extremely dangerous and Chevy/GM should seriously consider recalling this part.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jan 182013

Traverse

Was at target one evening and noticed a sweet unusual smell coming from the Traverse. I took a look underneath the car and noticed pink substance dripping from the engine. Upon leaving target I noticed that the arm on the temperature gauge was higher than normal. I drove 40mph for a mile and the gauge shot up to the top. I was 25 minutes from home. I had to stop 6 times to let the engine cool down in order to make it home and I had all four of my kids in the car with me as well. It totally freaked them out. I had to rent a car for the weekend as I needed transportation to get around. I had a company that will come to your home to fix your car. Found out it was my fuel pump. After 4 hours of labor and $400 later it was fixed. Four months later, today May 10, 2013 as I'm driving home from work, the car begins to beep and the traction control light and ABS light comes on and service stabilitrak system and traction control off displays in the display window. It seemed as if it was hard to accelerate as well. This is the 2nd thing that is probably going to be fairly expensive to fix that has happened to this car. It is the weekend and now have to try and find a place to take my car and have it serviced. Seeing now that there have been several complaints with this specific component on the car, Chevrolet needs to recall this car and fix this. This is very dangerous and could cause an accident. I think it's ridiculous to have to continue to pay for things that continue to break down on this vehicle. I am a single parent and cannot continue to financially be able to do this.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Feb 092013

Traverse 6-cyl

We were moving from South Carolina to Wisconsin which is a 1,000 mile trip. On the morning of February 9th, 2013 we were about to enter cincinnati on the second leg of our trip when all the sudden the dash displayed a message that said trak system failed, soon followed by another message indicating the engine power had been reduced. The vehicle went from 60 mph to approximately 20 mph and the engine began to shudder with a feeling of loss of firing cylinders, and loss of vehicle steering control. So we pulled over, read the book, and shut the car off like it said, waited 15 seconds and then turned the car back on. The car was fine and we finished that leg of the trip hoping nothing else would happen. It happened on a very busy stretch of I-75N near covington, ky and it could have caused a crash. My entire family was in the car. So I called and spoke to a GM technician at tire discounters in cincinnati who stated it probably is your throttle body as he had just repaired the same issue on another GM car. Being that it was Saturday, there was nothing I could do and we had to still travel an additional 300 miles to Wisconsin. The car only had 45,000 miles on it the day of incident. The next day February 10 2013 we continued our trip and right in the middle of Indiana the same issue happened and again we took the same action. Again it could have caused an accident but we were able to pull over. On Tuesday February 19, 2013 I took the car in to be looked at by andrew Chevrolet in glendale, wi and the diagnosis was the same. The throttle body had gone bad and would need to be repaired for $519. The service manager stated that they too had changed them on multiple cars. GM needs to recall the 2011 Traverse and repair this part before someone gets in an accident and gets killed. I also noticed this is the second time in three months NHTSA has received a complaint about this issue. Udpated 03/14/13

- Brown Deer, WI, USA

Feb 142012

Traverse 6-cyl

Purchased 2011 Traverse on Monday, by Tuesday evening the traction control and the stabilitrak service soon codes were showing. The present mileage is 440 and this started around 350 miles on odometer. Also, while backing out of driveway on incline put car in drive and let off brake began pressing gas, the car continued to roll backwards until I pressed the brake and got on the gas at the same time.

- Lucedale , MS, USA

Jun 272011

Traverse 6-cyl

Defective braking system includes stabilitrak and ABS system. The brand new vehicle has been serviced five times for braking failure. While waiting at a traffic light the ABS kicked in and the brake went to the floor. The sensors have been changed/debris cleaned/and frayed wires replaced. The vehicle is still not repaired.

- Southfield, MI, USA