Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 142015

I purchased this 2011 Chevy Traverse in Feb. Of 2015, so I believed it to be a fairly new car in good shape. Not even a month later the gas hand becomes faulty and is not showing the correct amount of gas, and starts fluctuating. Next I'm riding on the freeway and the truck immediately starts slowing down and reads loss of engine power and shuts off right in the middle of the freeway. Now I am freaking out with me and my kids in the car and others flying around me doing 75 to 80 mph to my decreasing speed. I was scared for my life and my children's lives as cars and trucks are speeding around and honking at me. The truck dies and I barely manage to get to the side so that I would not be hit. I then get the car towed to the local dealership who then says that the truck needs a water pump which turns out to be under my extended warranty. They also reset my fuel sensor because they say they tested it and it was still good. So it only cost me $100. I pick my truck up and it works fine for less than a month and starts up again. I run out of gas on a busy street and get another tow. Back to the Chevrolet house it goes. This time they reset the check engine light and says its still not the fuel pump, sensor, or anything because they cannot find anything at all. I go pick it up once again and on my way home ran out of gas, while the gas level is reading right at half a tank. I know there was gas in the tank when I ran out and when the truck was towed. The dealership kept my vehicle for a whole week and all they did was got the truck on level ground, obviously, and the truck ran all the gas out while parked and they were 'trying to find the problem'. so now the gas hand is not working at all and I'm always putting gas in it and taking a chance because nobody knows whats wrong. This vehicle has been nothing but a headache and this problem needs recalling before one dies.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Dec 022015

While driving errors pop up for stabiltrak/traction control/engine power reduced then you get about then you lose about 20% to 60% of power. It can happen anywhere at anytime while driving.

- Blossburg, PA, USA

Feb 162016

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 25 mph. The stabilitrac warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000. The VIN was not available.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jan 222016

On my way to work on route 30 when the following appears:service traction control, service stabilitrack, engine power reduced. Called Chevy dealer by work in merrillville in no appt until today.called dealership by home was told no appt until today at 1pm. Inquires if was issue in which letter dated in November 2015 and was no. Took vehicle to local repair shop and was told it is the issue stated in letter. Have dealership look at vehicle to have it co weed under warranty.called dealership back and was told close to $500 for repairs and nothing can be done because now vehicle is outside mileage. This could have been avoided if the part was changed after letter was received in November 2015. Vehicle would have been under 120,000 miles. Have had problems with vehicle since we bought I it. Air conditioning, water pump, windshield washer pump now throttle body. How does the dealership expect the car note as well as the repair bill to be paid with all of the problems with this vehicle"?"

- Walkerton, IN, USA

Jan 182016

While driving to work early January 18,2016 my check engine light and stability control light came on, not a minute later my steering went out and I hit a road sign. I had turned off the traction control before leaving my house as instructed by my service advisor at the Chevy dealership. I believe GM is responsible for the damage to my vehicle. Took my 2011 Traverse to the dealership that same day. Lights still on, and by the time I got it there the vehicle was shaking terribly, they diagnose it as throttle body codes PO221-PO121 & PO300. They fixed that problem, but took no responsibility GM to take responsibility for this problem. I wanted a safe vehicle for myself and my family, now I am not sure if it is safe even with the repairs that were done.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Jan 142016

1/5/16 I was driving down the road in my town, taking my children to school, and the car reduced from 40mph to 20mph. The car gave a message on the dash stating "service stabilitrack, reduced engine power". I drove the car to the dealer from which it was purchased, and they cleaned the throttle body. The car ran ok until 1/14/16, when the exact same thing happened- I was driving my children to school and the car reduced speed to 20mph with the same "service stabilitrack, reduced engine power" message. The car was taken to the dealer, and is currently there waiting for the throttle body to arrive and be replaced.

- Towanda, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Same as everyone else... 2011 Chevy Traverse with intermittent and sporadic episodes of "traction control off, service stabilitrak, and engine power reduced" between 60,000 and 110,000 miles. I could be dead many times over the past 3.5 years during work commute on 70mph, 4 lane highway. Problem resolves for unknown and unreliable amts of time... even after recommended fixes. GM must be held accountable before more people die! I have made sure to keep all documentaion and names, file #S and complaints, so that if/when a disaster happens to my family or others, there will be no question as to fault.

- Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Dec 182015

Driving down the interstate at 70 mph, the dic display error reads stabilitrak needs servicing, traction control off, and reduced engine power. It slowed me down from 70 mph to 25 mph in less than 20 seconds. I had to get over 3 lanes of heavy traffic onto the shoulder. This vehicle almost caused a major accident. I know there have been many complaints with GM vehicles regarding this issue. Just how many people have to die before a recall is issued?

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Jan 272014

Vehicle was traveling at highway speed when traction control/stabilitrak lights came on and engine power was reduced. The Traverse speed dropped from 60 mph to 20 mph in just a few seconds on the interstate. We were fortunate that there was not a large vehicle behind us that would have mowed right over my family before the vehicle was moved to the shoulder. The throttle body was replaced and the problem has not recurred.

- Sellersburg, IN, USA

Oct 022015

I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse 2 lt, it started giving me traction control light telling me that it disable traction control and service traction control. At the time the light turns on the vehicle was on a highway doing 65 mph to and vehicle lost power to 20 mph reducing speed to a dangerous level on the highway. I took it to a Chevy dealer and they told me the throttle body had a short.

- Monroe, NY, USA

Sep 112014

On 9-11-14 the power steering went out while driving. Took the vehicle to the dealership & I was told I needed a power steering solenoid. 10-23-14 power steering goes out again while driving so back to the dealership I go. This time I was told that GM has issued a bulletin on the problem and the power steering pump needed to be replaced. 11-10-14 power steering goes out again. Go back to the dealership and was told that the ecbtm needed to be replaced and it was not part of the bulletin? my issue is that I do not feel GM went deep enough to fix the problem. I know 3 people in my area that have had the same problem. When your driving in heavy traffic and your have no power steering it creates a dangerous situation for the vehicle occupants and opposing drivers. You would think GM would step up and fix the problem the first time. I have spoken to Chevrolet customer asst 2 times with zero response about fixing the problem. The last time being with tiffany. My case # is 71-151168370

- Haslett, MI, USA

Jun 102013

Engine power was suddenly reduced while driving with the messages: "traction control off", "service traction control", "service stabilitrack", "engine power is reduced". dealer found code P2135 was generated (faulty throttle position sensor). Throttle body unit was replaced. The same problem occurred 2 years later on 6/12/2015. Again the throttle body needed to be replace. Based on my experience the throttle body unit design is systemically bad and has caused two safety related incidents.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Sep 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 60 mph, the service stabilitrac, traction control off, and engine power reduced messages suddenly displayed and the vehicle decelerated to approximately 20 mph. The failure recurred on multiple occasions and the vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The contact indicated that the dealer replaced a computer and throttle body, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000....updated 06/09/15 the consumer also stated fluids were leaking from the vehicle. Updated 06/25/15

- Ledyard, CT, USA

Mar 032015

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at various speeds, the electronic stability traction control and check engine warning indicators were illuminated. The vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Feb 212015

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving on snow covered roads on 2/21/2015, a notification came on the instrument panel "service stabilitrack", "engine power reduced". the car would not go above 40mph. I turned the car off and started it again, as instructed in the owner's manual. The same thing happened. The next day it was fine. It did not happen again until tonight (3/3/2015). Again, on snowy roads on the way home from work, the same warning came on and the engine power was reduced. In researching this, it is apparently a common complaint.

- Odessa, NY, USA

Feb 252015

Driving on highway at 60 mph. Reduce power light and stability control light came on. Traverse slowed down to 20 mph. I could not accelerate. I was almost rear ended on the highway. Brought the Traverse to the dealership where they replaced the throttle body. Time for a recall.

- Rosemount , MN, USA

Feb 262015

I was driving to work and luckily had already gotten off the freeway, driving aprox. 35mph the vehicle started to loose speed, a couple of msgs were popping up "stabilitrac off" "service stability control" "reduced engine power". the speed dropped down to about 5 mph, I had to pull over in order for the vehicles behind me to pass me. I put the vehicle on park and while idling, it started vibrating. I turned it off and then turn it back on. After this it seemed to be doing good., enough for me to get to work

- Rio Rico, AZ, USA

Jan 222015

Traverse 6-cyl

Stabilitrak warning light engine losing power down to 20 mph.went online this is an on going problem with many GM cars and should be fixed at the cost of the manufacturer.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Feb 192015

Driving on the highway in nh in traffic when stabilitrac/reduced power/traction control light came on and car slowed down to 15 mph on a busy highway. Barely made it off the next exit as car wouldn't go over 10 mph. Luckily the cars behind me did not slam into me as it was a dangerous situation. A recall is needed is it is a serious safety issue.

- Kingston, MA, USA

Feb 182015

Traverse 6-cyl

I was traveling to work this morning (2/18/15) on a Missouri state highway and suddenly power was reduced dramatically on my 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. I immediately looked at my dic and noticed the following readings listed: "service stable track", "engine power reduced", "traction control off", "service traction control". also, my check engine light came on as well. I was able to pull over to the shoulder of the highway but my maximum speed was only 15 mph. I stopped on the shoulder of the highway and put the vehicle in park and then put back in drive. I went back in to traffic but my maximum speed was only 40 mph. After arriving at my office, I noticed the engine appeared to not being running properly, as if it wasn't getting the right fuel/oxygen mixture. I called the GM dealership to inform them of the problems and took the vehicle to them for testing. They diagnosed the problem as needing to replace the throttle body and the part would not be in until tomorrow. I will be picking the vehicle up tomorrow after the repair and I hope this doesn't happen again because if my wife or son had been driving the vehicle, it may have resulted in an accident on the highway. This is something that should never happen in a vehicle, the chance of an accident on a busy interstate or highway is very likely when your speed in reduced dramatically.

- Sikeston, MO, USA