CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Nov 122016

Traverse

Had a squeaking noise when applying brake pedal. Took it to a mechanic who said the the brake booster and master cylinder had to be replaced because it was leaking and causing the problem. Could eventually lead to braking issues. They also stating this was a common problem with the Chevrolet Traverse make and model. Should be a recall issue and not a $600 fix for me.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 112015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 25 mph and approaching a red light, the brake pedal traveled to the floor and failed to stop the vehicle. As a result, the contact's vehicle rear ended another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the technician could not find a failure. In addition, the contact stated that when the vehicle was parked on incline, it would roll backwards when the gear shifter was placed in drive. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 90,622.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Feb 012016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 4 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The brakes failed and the vehicle had to shift to neutral. The vehicle crashed into a tree. The contact received leg and ankle injuries which medical attention was needed. A police report was filed. The vehicle remains at the scene. The contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Purvis, MS, USA

Nov 112014

Traverse 6-cyl

Stabilitrak control, anti lock brakes and engine speed reduced. Wife's car while on her way to work. There are hundreds if not thousands of consumers with this exact same issue with various makes/models of GM vehicles. Once the throttle body / throttle positions sensor becomes dirty, it sets off a series of failures causing the vehicle to reduce power to the point where it can only travel at about 35 mph. This is a very dangerous situation to place drivers in. I called my local Chevrolet dealer to inquire about whether or not this was covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty and was told that it was. When the dealer verified that it was the throttle body, they told me that it would cost me about 500 dollars and that it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. This is a vital engine component. How can it not be considered to be part of the power train?

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Aug 292014

Traverse

The ABS and trac control lights have been coming on and going off for about a month. Friday Aug, 29 2014, while my wife was driving the vehicle around town the stop light turned and she went to stop like normal, the pedal acted like it was slick, the ABS was trying to come on. When it did that the pedal went clear to the floor. The car did stop but she is a good driver so no accident happened thankfully. I can see how this can possibly cause an accident. I took it to the Chevy dealership and they replaced a wheel sensor and said it was fixed, $187. We left the shop and went about a block to the first stoplight and it happened again so we turned around and went back. They worked on it for 3 more hours and said they couldn't find anything and would have to keep the vehicle until they could talk to GM engineers. Today I received a call from them and it was fixed. The wife went to pick it up and the brought it around to her and said "here you go", she got in and the ABS light was on again. She didn't even leave the dealership, went back in and told them it is messing up again, so she had to leave it there again. Luckily so far I haven't had to pay anything more, but it obviously isn't fixed yet. As many other problems of this nature you'd think GM would do a recall for this problem. What really makes me mad is that we don't even have 80000 miles on this thing. If they can't build anything better I guess I will have to switch to a Ford or Chrysler or maybe even Kia.

- Alta Vista , KS, USA

Mar 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Vehicle was 2011 Chevy Traverse w/ AWD with history (four instances) of engine oil leaks/requiring engine removal and reinstall. Vehicle was on interstate when AWD/vehicle stability control lights went on. Dic indicated 'service stabiltrack', 'service AWD' and 'AWD disabled'. at that time, vehicle was 'chugging' but shortly after chugging got much worse to the extent that the vehicle could not accelerate or maintain speed at cruise, or without cruise up normal hills on an interstate. When gas pedal was pressed further, RPM/speed would increase but then drop sharply (500-1000rpm) multiple times and no further power could be applied. Vehicle slowed down to about 50mph at the top of a hill. Happened for the next 15-20 miles until it could be pulled over. Vehicle was taken in once right after original occurrence, all three lights had gone off at point and vehicle drove normally after that. Service center indicated a wheel censor (front right) was reading defective information. They cleaned 'dust' from the sensor. Happened again about two weeks later, similar circumstances/results. Service center indicated wheel sensor was bad, they replaced (at my cost) and had no further instances for about four months. Similar situation happened again today (7/19/2014, conditions and results). However, the engine chugging was much worse and vehicle could not be driven safely on the interstate, would not accelerate or maintain safe interstate speed.

- North Liberty, IA, USA

May 242014

Traverse

We have only had our Traverse since January, but have noticed numerous times that the brakes grind (at times) when applying them. The car only had 24,000 miles on it when we bought it, it shouldn't have needed brakes already. Finally had money for the brakes to be checked and we need pads and rotors on all the wheels. It seems that this is a problem with a lot of the Traverses. Also, we have the problem which I have read about on here that when sitting at incline the car like to roll back. It has caused me to hit someone when on a hill. Of course there isn't a recall on that either. I don't feel that these cars are safe for younger drivers. I have two sons that I won't let drive my car do to the issues with it. I think someone needs to do something before someone is killed by all of these problems. I have tried to get all of the recall notices taken care of, but dealership we bought the care from never has the parts.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Sep 272012

Traverse 6-cyl

Lost both pads and rotors on the rear of vehicle, premature wear, not normal. Move forward to present May 9 2014. 37,000 miles and the front brakes, pads and rotors, need replacing and the rear pads already need new pads. The brakes have to be malfunctioning in some way. Called GM for the first incident and received some re-imbursement. I have not had repairs done on second incident but have made an appointment to secure repairs. It seems that what controls braking, example the proportionate valve, has failed in these instances. The results of the problem are the brakes need to be replaced every 18,000 miles and that is not normal. My brakes, especially the rear last between 50 and 60 thousand miles and all other cars owned and the front normally last at least 40 thousand mile. GM has made mistakes in building the brake system with inferior parts.

- Rogers City, MI, USA

Dec 202012

Traverse

At 12000 miles the dealer said I needed new rear brakes. I asked if under warranty and was told no charged $700 to fix. Now at 24000 said front brakes bad and will cost $550 must be something defective.

- Highland Lakes, NJ, USA

Jul 292013

Traverse 6-cyl

Two things #1-traveling on interstate 95. Right rear tire blow. The inside of the tire rip all around. I have a picture of the tire in two pieces.if you are interested in seeing the picture email me and I will send it to you. #2-also ever since I bought the vehicle in September 2010 the brakes squeaks. Its been looked at multiple time by two dealers. To this day the brakes still squeak. Very annoying. The warranty is out now but the problem still exist. Look at the history of the brake issue.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Jun 122013

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife had just dropped the kids off at school and was about 10 minutes away from home. After about five minutes of driving a series of chimes emitted from the car and the dash flashed a light indicating a problem with the ABS system, followed by another series of dings and a burning smell. She then pulled over, turned off the car, and waited approximately a minute. Upon turning on the car she heard another ding and the service lights remained on. She was able to slowly drive home but the car emitted a "grinding noise" and the heat gauge was slightly higher than normal. Upon getting home she checked under the car but did not see any fluids under the car. We have scheduled a mechanic to look at the car tomorrow.

- Normal, IL, USA

Apr 302013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the brake light illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer. The dealer stated that the brake fluid was low and the front passenger's side brake caliper was leaking. The dealer replaced the brake hose gasket, added brake fluid, and replaced the brake caliper on the passenger's side. The dealer also noticed that the vehicle had worn tie-rods and replaced them both. The contact stated that after the repair, the steering wheel started to squeak when being turned. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer and the dealer replaced the steering housing. The failure mileage was 10,823.

- Mcclellandtown, PA, USA

Apr 022012

Traverse 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing brand new car we noticed small rust-colored specks all over the vehicle, mostly on the rear of the car. After several inspections, muzi Ford in needham, MA diagnosed this as "brake dust" from the type of brakes on this vehicle. They said there was nothing that could be done to prevent the specks, but that the only fix was expensive buffing/wet sanding treatments by their body shop that would have to be done 1-2 times per year, and they also said we should wash our car weekly. Our vehicle is still under warranty. Each buff costs approx $400. We believe this is a design flaw that the manufacturer should cover.

- Milton, MA, USA

Oct 222012

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving 65 mph when the accelerator pedal stuck and accelerated to 85 mph. The brakes were disabled for approx 5-7 seconds. After 5-7 seconds passed, the brake system began to work again and I was able to slow down and eventually stop the car.

- Turtle Creek, WV, USA