Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 232013

I was driving home from san diego to AZ with my 3 kids when all of the sudden all my warning dash lights started flashing, the radio lost power and I lost power steering. This went on for about 1 min and then everything went away and the radio turned back on and the car seemed to be fine. Five mins later the same thing happened so I exited the freeway in alpine ca, and drove to the only mechanic in the entire town. After an hour the mechanic came and told me my key was bad and that the computer wasn't responding at all to it. Luckily for me I had the spare and he tried that key and it too wouldn't start the car. At this point the mechanic said I'd have to leave the car with him for further diagnosing. I then rented a car and headed to AZ for the weekend. The day after they had my car they called me and said the car started up with no problem and now they were going to try to recreate the problem. After 2 days and $438 they found nothing wrong with my car. I came and picked up my car and everything seemed fine for a few weeks then I went to start it one day and no power, the vehicle wasn't recognizing my keys at all. I popped the trunk and looked around the tried to restart the vehicle and it started fine. Now a month later I drive to go pick up my daughter at a friends house at night and turn the car off for 10 mins and it won't start again. The car has power because all the dash warn lights are going off again but it won't start. I ended up leaving my car and walking home with my 3 kids again at night. I'm sure tomorrow it will start just fine but I need to take it to the dealership but can't afford for them to not fix it again and just hand me a bill for the time spent on it! any ideas"???" please help I don't have money to throw away, this is a new car basically and this is crazy!

- Queen Creek , AZ, USA

Jun 282013

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife returned from the dealership after receiving an oil change and tire rotation. She parked the car in the driveway at the house and exited the vehicle. After about 10 minutes my family got in the vehicle. I smelled a burning odor while walking to the vehicle. My wife cranked the vehicle and immediately there was white smoke coming from under the hood. I opened the hood and there was a fire burning in the engine compartment. We got the family out of the car and I grabbed a water hose and put the flames out. After about 15 minutes I noticed that smoke was again coming from the engine compartment. I disconnected the cable from the positive terminal in the engine compartment and the smoked stopped. I was told by the dealership that the battery cable caught fire because it was not sufficient enough to handle the electrical load of the vehicle and that the replacement cable was much thicker and more insulated. These cables need to be replaced immediately before there is a loss of life.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jun 132013

I was parking, backing into parking spot going maybe 2 to 3 miles and hour, tried to put car into park, was a little difficult. Then tried to take key out of ignition switch and key would not come out. Then realized windows would not roll down (all 4). I locked the keys in the car with the locking fob. Later in the day a person came to me and said my lights and radio were on, due to the fact I had different people try to get the keys out of the ignition thought out the night I know the radio was off while we talked about how to get the keys out. The next morning I took the car into the dealer to be fixed. I have a warranty after market on the car. The dealer said the warranty company will not cover repairs. I am trying to find out if others have had this same problem.

- Poinciana, FL, USA

May 112012

Around May 11, 2012, on the Ohio turnpike, accelerating to 65 mph, my car began to make a loud repetitive noise under the hood. After a few miles, a battery service light came on. The car began to overheat and become difficult to steer. As I reached a pullover, the power steering failed and everything else quit working (radio, lights, etc.) I turned the car off and could not turn it back on. When the car was towed, we found the belt was shredded and dragged behind the car. I was told there was a problem with the water pump. The car was about 11 mos old and had about 11,000 miles on it. On June 2, 2013, deja vu. As I left a store and accelerated to 45 mph, my car began to make a loud repetitive noise under the hood. As I accelerated, the noises were louder and faster. I drove about 5 miles to walmart, the noises continued, so I drove home, about 5 miles. In the morning, I drove the car very slowly because I thought the belt was shredding again, and as I drove more slowly, the noise (from the pieces of the belt slapping around the engine) became less and I hoped I could make the belt last until I got to the dealer. The service battery light came on and when I turned left at an intersection near the dealership, the car was very hard to steer and I could barely turn into the dealership. The driver following me said he could see the shredded belt dragging. I learned there had been other cars on which the belt had shredded and that there was a service bulletin to put a lining in to protect the belt from damage, not sure if this had been done on my car I learned there is also a recall related to the water pump. In both cases, I was fortunate not to be in heavy traffic, near trucks, or passing on a country road. This seems very dangerous to me.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

May 112012

Traverse 6-cyl

The Chevy Traverse has been in the dealership 5 times since may of 2012 for sudden traction control and stabilitrak error messages. Once these messages pop up ont he car they are always followed by a reduced power message which immediately shuts off the car while driving. The car will not accelerate or function normally once this happens. Chevy has yet to be able to fix the problem.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Sep 282012

The radio unit emits a very high frequency noise whether the vehicle is running or not. This causes headaches on a regular basis. GM is apparently aware of this issue but is stating that it is normal operation and not offering any options to repair or replace the offending unit causing the high frequency noise. Many people have reported this problem across different models in multiple forums.

- Milton, VT, USA

Nov 012011

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced difficulty starting. The contact also stated that the vehicle lost power and stalled intermittently. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer performed a diagnostic test that was unable to locate a failure code. The vehicle was then test driven and the failure was duplicated. The dealer replaced the ground wires and the computer module, but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN information was not available. The failure mileage was 11,000 and the current mileage was 16,000..,.updated 05/15/12 * bf the consumer stated GM was taking the necessary steps to replace his vehicle. Updated 05/21/12

- Perrysburg , OH, USA