CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Dec 212013

Traverse 6-cyl

This vehicle at random times tells you that you need to service you stailitrak and traction control and reduces power which is dangerous because of the fact it loses power and when you want to pass your not able to. Even if your climbing a small little hill it will barely climb which puts others at risk of crashing especially in icy or dangerous conditions, or maybe even worse. This is a good family hauler, but not when it reduces power and puts others at risk.

- Worthington, MN, USA

Dec 092013

Traverse

Driving on the highway and all of a sudden there was an alert on the dashboard saying that "traction control off" then immediately after another alert came on stating that "engine power has been reduced". I was unable to accelerate fully. I turned the car off and back on and it reset it but the same alerts came back on minutes later. The next day I took it to the dealership and they said the throttle body had to be replaced. This seems to be a common occurrence for these vehicles and after researching online I have found hundreds of others that have had the same problem. This is extremely dangerous and Chevy/GM should seriously consider recalling this part.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Nov 082012

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving on a state highway with nowhere to pull safely off the road when the throttle body failed. This failure caused the engine control computer to set the engine to "reduced power mode" where I could not drive the car past 20 mph with the engine barely running. I had to drive the vehicle for about 1/2 mile in this condition before I could get the car off the road. This happened on a dark winding stretch of road where traffic normally moves at around 45 mph so there was a significant potential for a rear end collision with a car speeding up behind me.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Oct 242013

Traverse

My wife was driving home from a department store with my three children in the vehicle when a light came on in the dashboard and said engine hot. She pulled over and called me. I told her to check the coolant tank. She sent me a picture from her phone. It was full but the vehicle was overheating. She had to stop 3 times on the way home and we live no more than 12 minutes from the department store. When she got home she looked under the vehicle and said there was a small puddle. She has an appointment in a few days at the dealership to get it checked out. I am just not sure we can even drive the Traverse to the dealership safely.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Aug 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Engine pistons started knocking, motor failed/seized. Dellenbach Chevrolet claims it was from oil filter being 1/2 turn loose. There was no oil on my driveway, work, or under vehicle when engine failed.

- Wellington, CO, USA

Jun 282013

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife returned from the dealership after receiving an oil change and tire rotation. She parked the car in the driveway at the house and exited the vehicle. After about 10 minutes my family got in the vehicle. I smelled a burning odor while walking to the vehicle. My wife cranked the vehicle and immediately there was white smoke coming from under the hood. I opened the hood and there was a fire burning in the engine compartment. We got the family out of the car and I grabbed a water hose and put the flames out. After about 15 minutes I noticed that smoke was again coming from the engine compartment. I disconnected the cable from the positive terminal in the engine compartment and the smoked stopped. I was told by the dealership that the battery cable caught fire because it was not sufficient enough to handle the electrical load of the vehicle and that the replacement cable was much thicker and more insulated. These cables need to be replaced immediately before there is a loss of life.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jan 182012

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that front end of the vehicle would randomly shake. The check engine light illuminated when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the engine had misfired. The dealer also checked for leaks, but the contact was not aware if any leaks were found. The dealer stated that the contact should not let the vehicle sit too long with out driving it to prevent the shaking issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 25,700.

- Randallston, MD, USA

Nov 142012

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that anti freeze was leaking. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the water pump and seal needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 28,000.

- Altoona, PA, USA

May 112012

Traverse 6-cyl

The Chevy Traverse has been in the dealership 5 times since may of 2012 for sudden traction control and stabilitrak error messages. Once these messages pop up ont he car they are always followed by a reduced power message which immediately shuts off the car while driving. The car will not accelerate or function normally once this happens. Chevy has yet to be able to fix the problem.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Feb 092013

Traverse 6-cyl

We were moving from South Carolina to Wisconsin which is a 1,000 mile trip. On the morning of February 9th, 2013 we were about to enter cincinnati on the second leg of our trip when all the sudden the dash displayed a message that said trak system failed, soon followed by another message indicating the engine power had been reduced. The vehicle went from 60 mph to approximately 20 mph and the engine began to shudder with a feeling of loss of firing cylinders, and loss of vehicle steering control. So we pulled over, read the book, and shut the car off like it said, waited 15 seconds and then turned the car back on. The car was fine and we finished that leg of the trip hoping nothing else would happen. It happened on a very busy stretch of I-75N near covington, ky and it could have caused a crash. My entire family was in the car. So I called and spoke to a GM technician at tire discounters in cincinnati who stated it probably is your throttle body as he had just repaired the same issue on another GM car. Being that it was Saturday, there was nothing I could do and we had to still travel an additional 300 miles to Wisconsin. The car only had 45,000 miles on it the day of incident. The next day February 10 2013 we continued our trip and right in the middle of Indiana the same issue happened and again we took the same action. Again it could have caused an accident but we were able to pull over. On Tuesday February 19, 2013 I took the car in to be looked at by andrew Chevrolet in glendale, wi and the diagnosis was the same. The throttle body had gone bad and would need to be repaired for $519. The service manager stated that they too had changed them on multiple cars. GM needs to recall the 2011 Traverse and repair this part before someone gets in an accident and gets killed. I also noticed this is the second time in three months NHTSA has received a complaint about this issue. Udpated 03/14/13

- Brown Deer, WI, USA