CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 122016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 10 mph, the engine warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the engine warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Cos Cob, CT, USA

Nov 032016

Traverse

Takata recall I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse ltz with just under 75K miles. I had the throttle body replaced in October 2014 before there was a recall. Today, I got out of class, picked up my children from school and went to the grocery store. This is a 2 mile trip round-trip. I was driving past the kids school straight ahead on city streets doing about 15 mph, just a few blocks from our house, the warning lights began to beep and the dic had several messages. "engine hot A/C off" "engine power is reduced" and "engine overheated idle engine". it became very difficult to handle the truck. The high in Chicago today was 60 degrees and I only made the one trip mentioned above. I plan on taking it to the dealer tomorrow but I want to know if this is a problem people are having.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 302016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving various speeds, "engine power low" illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred on two occasions and was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the timing link on the inside of the motor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000. The VIN was not available...updated 10/26/16

- Hayesville, NC, USA

Mar 012016

Traverse

My check engine light came on at 95000 miles code pooo8. I took the car to the dealer and they said it needed trimming chains. My guys told me it might be covered but after checking my bin it was not covered. He told me it was a problem with with these motors but my VIN was not included in the recall and it would be 2500 dollars to fix a four year old car. GM would not do anything to help me.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Aug 232016

Traverse

2011 Chevrolet Traverse rack and pinion leak and timing belt light came on. Car is well maintained, driven easy and has only 93000 miles on it. GM says it is not covered...

- Charles City, VA, USA

Aug 262016

Traverse

Engine light came on and had (3) different codes as sensors that has gone bad. Took to dealer were they said it was my timing chain has stretch after 90,000 miles. If their chains are stretching at 90,000 miles is an issue. I'm lucking the vehicle was idle and the chains did not snap.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jul 132016

Traverse

My 2011 Chevy Traverse had the check engine light go on at just under 40,000 miles on error P0017. A cam shaft sensor was replaced only to have the light emit again 2 weeks later. Now the car is reading 2 codes. One is still the P0017 and now a P0008. The timing chain is a well known issue with this engine and GM still hasn't issued a recall. There are people with complaints that are over 2 years old. The cars run extremely rough while driving, use excessive gas and have been known to completely shut off while driving. This needs to be recalled on these engines.

- Alsip, IL, USA

Aug 072016

Traverse

My SUV simply cut off in the middle of the street. The engine light came on and I heard a loud noise, then it cut off. It had to be pushed off the street and towed. Had this happened 1 hour earlier when I was on I 85 going about 75 mph, it is very possible that I would not be here right now.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 062016

Traverse

I just bought the car a week ago and now the service air bags light came on. Also the timing chain is making a weird noise. I took it to the mechanic and sure enough there is something wrong with air bags and timing chain

- Connell, WA, USA

Apr 272016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. When the vehicle was started, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Feb 142015

Traverse

I purchased this 2011 Chevy Traverse in Feb. Of 2015, so I believed it to be a fairly new car in good shape. Not even a month later the gas hand becomes faulty and is not showing the correct amount of gas, and starts fluctuating. Next I'm riding on the freeway and the truck immediately starts slowing down and reads loss of engine power and shuts off right in the middle of the freeway. Now I am freaking out with me and my kids in the car and others flying around me doing 75 to 80 mph to my decreasing speed. I was scared for my life and my children's lives as cars and trucks are speeding around and honking at me. The truck dies and I barely manage to get to the side so that I would not be hit. I then get the car towed to the local dealership who then says that the truck needs a water pump which turns out to be under my extended warranty. They also reset my fuel sensor because they say they tested it and it was still good. So it only cost me $100. I pick my truck up and it works fine for less than a month and starts up again. I run out of gas on a busy street and get another tow. Back to the Chevrolet house it goes. This time they reset the check engine light and says its still not the fuel pump, sensor, or anything because they cannot find anything at all. I go pick it up once again and on my way home ran out of gas, while the gas level is reading right at half a tank. I know there was gas in the tank when I ran out and when the truck was towed. The dealership kept my vehicle for a whole week and all they did was got the truck on level ground, obviously, and the truck ran all the gas out while parked and they were 'trying to find the problem'. so now the gas hand is not working at all and I'm always putting gas in it and taking a chance because nobody knows whats wrong. This vehicle has been nothing but a headache and this problem needs recalling before one dies.

- Abilene, TX, USA

May 272016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the engine turned off as the power steering malfunctioned without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Northvile Township, MI, USA

Mar 272016

Traverse

Takata recall I keep getting this code P0017 I took it to the dealer they told me it was a crarkshrt value cost me $395 to get it fix the engine was on and the dealer said this would fix it and the engine light will go off I said ok.I get my car back leave the dealer get to the corner and the engine light comes back on I go back to the dealer and tell him the engine light is back on and he takes another look at my truck and say U need a timing chian and to replace it will be 3000 I was like O my god I don't have that kind of money this is just not fair I got this truck used in 2014 and now I need a timing chain I need some help.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 302016

Traverse

My car has 52,000 and took it to the dealer and they tell me the timing chains need to be replaced. Reason is because of your oil change indicator causes you to burn to much oil and your running you car on low oil levels. Even though the car lets you go 5,000 miles before an oil change, you still should check your oil levels once a month because you are burning oil. How are we suppose to know that. Because I follow the oil life indicator I now am stuck with a $3200 repair bill. Chevy even has a special technical bulletin associated with my engine for the problem that extends warranty coverage to 10 years / 120,000 miles but my VIN number doesn't qualify.

- Oregon, OH, USA

Mar 262016

Traverse

I keep getting this code P0017 took it to the shop and got the camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor B fixed and engine light came back on timing chain is not out the truck is still working.there needs to be a recall on this.can U help me.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 102016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the żengine power reduceż warning indicator illuminated as the vehicles speed reduced to approximately 45 mph. The vehicle was restarted and no warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred on one other occasion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Keller, TX, USA

Feb 012013

Traverse

Same as everyone else... 2011 Chevy Traverse with intermittent and sporadic episodes of "traction control off, service stabilitrak, and engine power reduced" between 60,000 and 110,000 miles. I could be dead many times over the past 3.5 years during work commute on 70mph, 4 lane highway. Problem resolves for unknown and unreliable amts of time... even after recommended fixes. GM must be held accountable before more people die! I have made sure to keep all documentaion and names, file #S and complaints, so that if/when a disaster happens to my family or others, there will be no question as to fault.

- Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Dec 242015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle shifted out of gear and began to lose power. The engine stalled with out warning. The vehicle failed to restart. The failure occurred twice. The contact also mentioned that the key was stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Dec 122015

Traverse

December 2015 drove the 2011 Traverse to the grocery store. After parking the cooling fan was on after engine turned off. Very loud fan noise had me concerned. After driving home I notice no fan noise so I felt it was an isolated incident considering it is cool winter weather outside. Next a.M. we went to church approx 7 mile trip and fan was running when we turned off car again and saw puff of steam or smoke coming out from front of hood. Reasoned it was morning fog? or evaporating water! on the way to do errands 2 days later engine was running about 260* on gauge on dash. Fan came on when I parked and ran very loudly. I went straight to dealership which is across the street and met Chevy service rep. He said it was just the car reacting to run the defrost mode on the ac system and sent me on my way. Before I reached our home the temp gauge was at 260* or higher because it was on the highest point on gauge. Returned the next day to dealership as car had now overheated again, no fan coming on at all, and service writer said turn it off before it does damage. Wow! left car and was called the next a.M, with diagnosis as bad water pump covered by recall. Work was done and then I was informed the rack amd pinion assembly was leaking and needs to be replaced and the engine mount is broken. I am sure the leak on the rack and pinion is due to overheating and extra pressure on the gaskets. No leaks ever noticed before this visit during multipoint inspection performed by dealer on 9/10/15. Area of fluid is fresh on rack area. Estimate at $1745. I'm sure this recall will be happening soon. I just received the November 2015 recall on faulty throttle position sensor repair. I can only hope the recall for the steering system leak and failures will come soon.. fyi we have owned 30 Chevrolet cars and we have never had anything like this happen or the amount of recalls occur

- Momroe, NC, USA

Nov 202015

Traverse

My car is overheating, have already changed the thermostat and flushed the radiator, the car still getting overheated

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA