CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 012016

Traverse

2011 Chevy Traverse. Sporadically decelerates while driving, flashes traction control off and service stabiltrak, check engine light. Pull over and let it "rest" for 15 minutes, it will resume driving. Have already had this issue "repaired" from Chevy store10 months ago. Mostly occurs while in motion, once while driving 70mph on hwy decelerated to 35 mph and almost caused accident. Now dealership is suggesting I make another expensive fix, which may or may not fix the issue. This car is a lemon!!!! today we are blocking traffic in a parking deck because it has decided to happen again, no drive, but reverse works fine.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Oct 092016

Traverse

I accelerated from onramp to highway. I released pedal but engine revs rapidly increased and vehicle surged forward toward vehicle in front of me. Brakes did not stop my vehicle. I down shifted to low gear pulled onto shoulder to avoid collision. I applied brakes again.I slowed and shifted to neutral and park. Revs returned to normal and I shut off engine. Vehicle towed to dealer.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 022015

Traverse

While driving errors pop up for stabiltrak/traction control/engine power reduced then you get about then you lose about 20% to 60% of power. It can happen anywhere at anytime while driving.

- Blossburg, PA, USA

Feb 012016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 4 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The brakes failed and the vehicle had to shift to neutral. The vehicle crashed into a tree. The contact received leg and ankle injuries which medical attention was needed. A police report was filed. The vehicle remains at the scene. The contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Purvis, MS, USA

Dec 192015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle stopped accelerating while the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was able to be pulled over. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Russellville, KY, USA

Jan 072015

Traverse

My wife driving to work on busy highway..all of a sudden the speed goes from about 60 mph to like 25mph...stabilitrak light comes on. Cars honking, yelling, almost hitting her because her speed reduced to fast. She got to work when she left for the day the car seemed ok. Thought maybe she hit the stabilitrak button by mistake. A few days later same thing happened. After this incident it happened even more. I've been reading blogs re this and E mailed Chevy, said it wasn't a recall..I don't know why. This problem could kill someone. I had it fixed at the Chevy dealer costing over $400. From what I've read I think this problem occurred in some earlier Traverses. It's like you put your foot on the gas and the car doesn't go anywhere. They replaced the throttle body assy. This should not be happening!! they will wind up with lawsuits if this isn't taken care of. After E mailing Chevy I was told someone from the dealer I had the repairs done at would call to discuss. That never happened. I did call the dealer many times to no avail.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Mar 142015

Traverse

Car became very sluggish speed dropped down to 40mph the check engine light came on followed by two messages "traction control off" and "service stabilitrak" car barely moved after that. I pulled onto the shoulder of the road turned the car off, attempted to turn it back on the car wouldn't start after 3 mins the car started and I was able to make it home however the check engine light is still on and the error messages are still being displayed. I googled the problem apparently it's very common and a recall need to be issued.

- Edgewood, MD, USA

Feb 152015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while attempting to merge on a highway, the service stabilitrak and the reduced engine power was displayed across the message board. In addition, the contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body sensor and the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by the contact. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Feb 252015

Traverse

Driving on highway at 60 mph. Reduce power light and stability control light came on. Traverse slowed down to 20 mph. I could not accelerate. I was almost rear ended on the highway. Brought the Traverse to the dealership where they replaced the throttle body. Time for a recall.

- Rosemount , MN, USA

Feb 262015

Traverse

I was driving to work and luckily had already gotten off the freeway, driving aprox. 35mph the vehicle started to loose speed, a couple of msgs were popping up "stabilitrac off" "service stability control" "reduced engine power". the speed dropped down to about 5 mph, I had to pull over in order for the vehicles behind me to pass me. I put the vehicle on park and while idling, it started vibrating. I turned it off and then turn it back on. After this it seemed to be doing good., enough for me to get to work

- Rio Rico, AZ, USA

Jan 222015

Traverse 6-cyl

Stabilitrak warning light engine losing power down to 20 mph.went online this is an on going problem with many GM cars and should be fixed at the cost of the manufacturer.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Feb 192015

Traverse

Driving on the highway in nh in traffic when stabilitrac/reduced power/traction control light came on and car slowed down to 15 mph on a busy highway. Barely made it off the next exit as car wouldn't go over 10 mph. Luckily the cars behind me did not slam into me as it was a dangerous situation. A recall is needed is it is a serious safety issue.

- Kingston, MA, USA

Feb 182015

Traverse 6-cyl

I was traveling to work this morning (2/18/15) on a Missouri state highway and suddenly power was reduced dramatically on my 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. I immediately looked at my dic and noticed the following readings listed: "service stable track", "engine power reduced", "traction control off", "service traction control". also, my check engine light came on as well. I was able to pull over to the shoulder of the highway but my maximum speed was only 15 mph. I stopped on the shoulder of the highway and put the vehicle in park and then put back in drive. I went back in to traffic but my maximum speed was only 40 mph. After arriving at my office, I noticed the engine appeared to not being running properly, as if it wasn't getting the right fuel/oxygen mixture. I called the GM dealership to inform them of the problems and took the vehicle to them for testing. They diagnosed the problem as needing to replace the throttle body and the part would not be in until tomorrow. I will be picking the vehicle up tomorrow after the repair and I hope this doesn't happen again because if my wife or son had been driving the vehicle, it may have resulted in an accident on the highway. This is something that should never happen in a vehicle, the chance of an accident on a busy interstate or highway is very likely when your speed in reduced dramatically.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Jan 302015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the traction control off and the engine power reduced warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Chatham Township , NJ, USA

Jan 302015

Traverse

When I pulled out of a driveway and began to drive down the street, my Traverse message board read, traction control off, engine power reduced, service stablitrac. I was unable to accelerate past 40 mph. My car was unsteady and shaky. I called GM and they stated that I have recalls issued on the car but none of them have anything to do with my current issue. It seems this is a common problem that GM is not addressing concerning a faulty throttle body. I am very frighten to drive especially of highway and with my children in the car. I bought this vehicle because I believed it would be safe for my family.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Jan 042014

Traverse 6-cyl

When driving normally down the road warning text flashes and displayed stabilitrack disabled, traction control off, and reducing engine power. The vehicle suddenly decelerated and almost caused a crash due to the sudden deceleration.

- Collierville , TN, USA

Jan 082015

Traverse 6-cyl

On six separate occasions in 7 days, my vehicle has displayed the following messages, traction control off, check stabilitrak, and reduced engine power then suddenly reduces speed significantly unwilling to accelerate. I have to pull over, turn off the car and wait several minutes before I can turn the car back on for it to drive correctly. This is extremely dangerous and I know it is a recurring issue for many GM 2010-2012 vehicles and no recall or solution has been made yet.

- Rehoboth, MA, USA

Jan 052015

Traverse 6-cyl

While traveling on the hwy at 65 mph I got a message on the dash that read "service traction control" then "service stabilitrack" then "engine power reduced" all simultaneously. Then I lost power and went drastically from 65 mph down to about 40 mph. I almost got ran over by a semi truck!! I pulled vehicle to the side and slowly made my way to the nearest exit. Once I got off the hwy I tried to make my way back home, but the power was reduced to a crawl, so I pulled into a parking lot and ended up having to get it towed to the shop. They diagnosed the car and found no mechanical issues, only what seemed to be a "glitch" in the computer system. Suggested that I may need to replace the throttle body. I picked up my car and it drove fine for 5 days then it did the same thing again, luckily I was in my neighborhood. Drove it home and parked it. The next morning it drove just fine, no issues, and today it happened again. I have spent the last few hours reading hundreds of other complaints describing the exact same scenario, and found that they are taking their vehicle into the dealer and getting parts replaced only to have it happen again and then more parts replaced and it continues in this cycle... this from only one forum and there are a number of others a like!

- Forney , TX, USA

Dec 112014

Traverse 6-cyl

As I was driving, I received three messages on my vehicle: Service traction control, service stabilitrak and engine running at reduced power. Took the car to my local mechanic and they flushed out something (I don't remember what exactly). It ran fine for a few weeks then as I was on the freeway the same messages appeared and as I was trying to accelerate up a slight incline, the car's speed was decreasing even though I was pushing on the gas. Luckily I was in the right lane and there was light traffic or there could have been a major accident as I could not increase speed. Took the car to the dealership who says I need the throttle body replaced and it will cost $600. After looking at this site, I see there are many, many complaints for the same issue. This should definitely be a safety recall!

- Willowick, OH, USA

Jan 062015

Traverse 6-cyl

Driving on the road and all of a sudden the dashboard lights up. The car tells me that the "stabilitrack needs to be serviced" and "reducing speed". the car just slows down and I can't go above 15 mph in the middle of the road with cars all around me driving at the same speed. Thank god I was able to pull over to the right and get off the road. I shut car off and waited a few minutes. I turned car on and the system reset itself and car was fine. Now its doing it again as my wife drove it today. Researching online, I see many people are having this same problem. GM needs to recall these vehicles and fix this problem. Someone is going to get killed in an accident!

- Staten Island, NY, USA