CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Traverse

2011 Chevy Traverse. Sporadically decelerates while driving, flashes traction control off and service stabiltrak, check engine light. Pull over and let it "rest" for 15 minutes, it will resume driving. Have already had this issue "repaired" from Chevy store10 months ago. Mostly occurs while in motion, once while driving 70mph on hwy decelerated to 35 mph and almost caused accident. Now dealership is suggesting I make another expensive fix, which may or may not fix the issue. This car is a lemon!!!! today we are blocking traffic in a parking deck because it has decided to happen again, no drive, but reverse works fine.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 172016

Traverse

Left lift gate support malfunctioned. It leaked all the gas out and and slammed shut nearly missing me. I got an abrasion on my knuckle on my right index finger. The vehicle was parked, my family were unloading groceries. I bought replacements with my own money and have the receipt. Cashier at auto parts store said to check for a recall on faulty gas struts aka lift supports.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 292014

Traverse

The rear view mirror that contains a backup camera looks very cloudy/foggy and is visible hard to use. Also the second row seats (driver and passenger) seat belts are no longer buckling properly. My 11 year old seats back there and everytime we hit a bump the seatbelt pops out of its buckle.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

May 292015

Traverse

We bought the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse used with 99,000 miles on it. We noticed that on the car fax, other than just routine maintenance, the car had its fuel tank replaced. We questioned it, but did not think we would have problems, as the car was well taken care of. Every since we purchased the vehicle, when we fill up the car, it does not register on the fuel gauge correctly, if it registers at all. We cannot take long trips in the car without having to stop every so often and put gas in it, as we dont know how much is in there at any given time. This is a major concern to us. I see that there is a recall for the 2014 vehicles, but I also see that this has happened alot with the 2011 Traverse's, but no recall has been issued. I am hoping with this additional complaint and ongoing problem, that something will be done before someone gets seriously hurt, if they havent already. I do not know who the previous owner of my vehicle was, but they obviously had the same problem, hense replacing the fuel tank. Chevy, please issue a recall for this.

- Lindale, TX, USA

Jun 172015

Traverse

Driving on the interstate in 95 temperatures when the front passenger side vents began blowing hot air but the driver's side was still blowing cold air. We had to open the windows as the car got hot very quickly. This distraction could've caused an accident from addressing the situation. We've seen many others having defective blend door actuators...updated 07-16-15

- Simsponville, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Traverse

2011 Chevrolet Traverse- I bought the truck in 2013 certified, pre-owned for roughly $35K all in from robert Chevrolet. Have had several electrical and mechanical issues with it over the past 2 years. Windows have stopped working numerous times, mirrors as well. Left tail light has gone out 3 times, headlights have had issues as well. Most recently my passenger side step rail snapped off as my 13 year old 115 lb daughter stepped on it. I have 4 children, my youngest is one and a half years old and one concern I have is that the other side rail snaps off and as my wife is putting my son in car they fall on concrete if that rail should snap as well. In general, I do not trust this car or feel safe in it at all. The electrical problems scare me the most, god forbid there should be some kind of short and steering or something worse goes out and my wife crashes with one or all of my 4 children in the car.. my sales rep at robert Chevrolet has been contacted on several occasions, for a year has been telling us to come in after several complaints. Finally I took off of work and told him he needed to take a look at this unsafe vehicle and it needed to be addressed. They assured me they would take care of it, even suggested he would take me out of the car and eat the bulk of the loss. Needless to say they did none of that, indicated everything that's wrong with the car is wear and tear. I bought an extended policy on the vehicle as well, basically nothing is covered. And to boot, they suggested I pay 1200-1500 to fix the vehicle. Again I stress, the money isn't the biggest issue, I'm concerned about the safety of this vehicle.

- Seaford, NY, USA

May 012015

Traverse

I just recently purchased this 2011 Chevy Traverse last night from the dealer. My first time buying a used vehicle. Within 3 months, my heat stopped working in my vehicle. I purchased the vehicle at 40,000 miles. Brought it to the dealer, and asked if there was anything they can do as I just purchased this vehicle not too long ago, and they stated there wasnt any recall. I would have to pay out of pocket to have this fixed. Just recently this month I have been having an issue with a whining noise when I am driving, and when I am turning the wheel. I took my vehicle to a mechanic and they filed all of my fluids, including power steering which was low. Found out that I have a leak. I started doing some research on this, and found out that all of the 2011 Chevy Traverse vehicles had this same issue. I am going to contact the dealer today to see what they can do, as I didnt purchase an extended warranty with this vehicle. Should this not be something that is covered under Chevrolet if the majority of these vehicles are having this same issue?

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Feb 032015

Traverse

On 2/3/15 driving 60mph on the 1-87 my steering wheel began to vibrate on and off. Then drove about 5 miles further then my stabilitrack and traction control failed with its indication on the dash board then the vehicle skid symbol lit up and the dashboard stated engine loss of power and the vehicle slowing began to decelerate to about 40mph and I had to pull over on the shoulder and had my vehicle towed to Chevy dealer. I was told it was my throttle body. Which I see seems a big problem for a lot of 2011 Traverse owners. The repair will cost me nearly $700 after I replaced a burned out wireharness for $658 just 2 weeks ago!!!!

- Highland Mills, NY, USA

Jan 102015

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving down I 74 at 70 mph when my dash issued 3 warnings (service traction control, service stabilitrack, & engine power reduced). My vehicle dropped down to 15 mph and was unable to pick up speed. I had to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic. By the time I got to a safe place the whole thing was shaking and sputtering. They need to do a recall before someone gets killed !

- Sunman, IN, USA

Jul 012012

Traverse 6-cyl

I was trailering a boat on tandem axle trailer within the trailering rating for the Traverse, but near the nigh end. It was raining and we hydroplaned but the hydroplaning stopped after a second and we continued. Then it happened again and we slowed down and it didn't happen any further. I've trailered with my 2004 Silverado many times and don't believe this would have happened with it. This was the first time using the Traverse and I thought it was working okay, except for the hydroplaning. I think what may have happened is that the trailer was pushing down on the back of the vehicle lifting up on the front and thus reducing traction with the front wheels. I don't think the tongue weight was too high or excessive. At any rate, I don't know if I was just being unsafe by traveling that speed with the rain, or if the rating for the Traverse's trailering tongue weight should be reduced or if someone should have to initial a safety document anytime they put a hitch on their vehicle stating they understand the extra hydroplaning possibilities while trailering or what. But I wanted to report what happened in case it is happening to others as well. I also had trouble pulling my boat out of the water with only 2wd. I had to get an assist from another vehicle. If it was only for the hydroplaning issue, I would trailer with this vehicle again. However, without 4WD to pull the boat out of the water, there is no way I will use it again. (and that also speaks to the traction being less when the tongue has some weight on it.) the dealership should have advised me to get 4WD since they knew I would be trailering a boat.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Jun 152011

Traverse

The Traverse was parked in the lot of the local grocery store, when started and placed in reverse it backed up just fine, however putting it in drive it broncoed up and would only go 30 miles per hour. This has happened 3 times. Now the power steering unit whines, the seats in the back do not recline well and the middle seat belt in the middle seat locks and I am unable to secure my 2 year old in his carseat. I am not pleased at all with the 2011 Traverse, I should have stuck to my first thoughts and bought the suburbon that I know. The Traverse is the worst vehicle I have ever owned, while it was being repaired at the dealership, they offered me another one to drive....I laughed, I went and rented a Yukon. Now when I go out of town I rent a vehicle my $40,000 Traverse sit in the driveway as a lawn ornament. Chevrolet in Florida got me real good, now they state I am upside down in this vehicle and am not able to trade without a big down payment. Funny they sell me a lemon and I can't even make lemonade with it. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- St Petersburg, FL, USA