CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Dec 122014

Traverse 6-cyl

Steering wheel jerked hard to the right at 60 mph nearly collided with a bridge in heavy oncoming traffic on two lane road. Steering wheel jerked so hard it was all I could do to maintain directional control of my car. I am a large man and I estimate the pull on the steering wheel at approximately 30 pounds and it took both of my hands to correct the steering. Event lasted less than one second, I did not notice any warning lights on the dash indicating the activation of stability control or traction control. After this event my wife told me that she had dropped off the right side of the road several times in the previous days and just thought she was not used to the way this new to us vehicle drove, we purchased this car on November 26, 2014. I have no doubt that a inexperienced would have had a serious if not fatal accident in this situation. Road conditions: Night, dry asphalt road surface.

- Onaga, KS, USA

Dec 102014

Traverse

2011 Chevy Traverse 54000 miles- vehicle whining at low speeds, becoming difficult to turn and at times loss of power while driving. I received a letter from GM indicating a powersteering pump would be replaced on the vehicle only if I was experiencing problems, this was not a recall notification. I took the vehicle to the dealer to have the pump replaced. I was later contacted by the dealer to be informed that my power steering gear is leaking and I need a whole new powersteering rack at the cost of $1400. I have read several similar complaints, and if GM has identified a problem with the power steering pump, the entire power steering rack should be considered a recall.

- Mason Ctiy , IA, USA

Dec 082014

Traverse 6-cyl

On August 6, 2014 we had our vehicle serviced by the dealer due to an airbag recall and at the time the vehicle had 38,000 miles. Shortly there after we noticed a grinding noise when we made a right hand turn. At first it happened intermittently but eventually it became noticeable at low rates of speed (5 - 10 mph). Today we took the vehicle to the dealership for the third recall this being the power steering pump. We were informed that this was covered by GM but we also had a leak in our rack and pinion and it would cost $1200 to repair. We intend to fight this since it appears it may be linked to the steering recall. We also have noticed that the driver side seat belt has cut a groove into the plastic seatbelt cover near the shoulder harness. We were told that this was not related to the earlier seat belt recall which had been serviced. This could effect the integrity of the seat belt system if the belt gets snagged by the plastic groove which has appeared. This should not happen with a car that is less than 3 years old.

- Yardley , PA, USA

Nov 262014

Power steering failure.

- West Point, MS, USA

Nov 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

Steering becomes extremely difficult at low speeds. Dealership said it was the rack and pinion steering and it isn't covered under warranty.

- Clayton, NY, USA

Nov 072014

Traverse

Was going on an exit ramp and power steering gave out causing vehicle extremely difficult to turn. Car then cut off. All the complaints on line about this.. are you serious? I will never buy another Chevy. Extremely dangerous. Vehicle is at the shop now. I no longer feel safe driving it even after repaired.

- Pelham, NC, USA

Sep 302014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while driving approximately 20 mph, an abnormal sound emitted from the steering column and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the power steering pump was replaced. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and it was determined that the power steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Nov 062013

Traverse 6-cyl

When driving my 2011 Traverse, it would reduce engine power and advise service. It would drop power to the point car was not drive able. I would shut car off. Wait and then able to drive it at low speeds (15 mph). This of course created a dangerous situation on the highway.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

While parking during the turn into the parking place, the power steering ceased to function. Happened again when pulling out or turning at low speed the power steering stops working. It will come back if stop or sometimes on acceleration. Had it checked by mechanic and they could not tell what it was and just did the blanket you should try to replace the whole rack and pump assembly.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Oct 082014

Traverse 6-cyl

Car was steering hard and leaking power steering fluid. Replaced power steering pump at local dealership at my expensive. This should be a safety issue not mechanical failure due to poor maintainence by owner, which was not the case. Lawyers or death before recalls. Now airbag danger. Have had three other recalls.

- Arizona City, AZ, USA

Oct 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

While backing up at a very low speed the vehicle steering wheel locked up, I then realized the engine had shut off. I noted the key was still in the on position and the back up camera was still on. Restarted vehicle and no further problems were noticed. When attempting to duplicate this issue the only time I could get the steering wheel to lock up was if the key was removed from the ignition. Also back up camera would only stay on if the car was running and in reverse so it is unclear why the steering wheel locked up with the key in the on position. This could be a serious safety issue if it happened under different circumstances.

- Marlborough, CT, USA

Sep 132014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering failed. Started with strong vibration in steering wheel a few hours before the failure. Car was very difficult to control safely at any speed. Dealer is looking at a significant leak in the steering fluid because it was below the minimum level. No visible evidence of a leak from where I park the car.

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Aug 282014

Traverse 6-cyl

Complete loss of power steering caused by loss of power steering fluid. Lost control of steering, steering wheel locked-up. Fortunately traffic was light at the time and was able to slow down to stop in a controlled manner. Upon inspection, found significant puddle of steering fluid under the car. Appears to be a sudden failure, not a slow leak based on amount of fluid loss at the time of the problem. Restarted the car and was able to slowly make it home with no power steering, steering wheel was very difficult to turn. Consider this to be a serious safety issue, especially if this happens at higher speed in a busy traffic. Found many similar complaints in various owner forums online. Waiting for a dealer appointment to determine whether it's the pump, gear or fluid lines that caused the loss of steering fluid.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Aug 042014

Traverse

Power steering pump went out steering wheel locks up at low RPM or in neutral ridiculous at this mileage car is supposed to be upper class with upper class mechanical failures??

- Big Clifty, KY, USA

May 122012

Traverse 6-cyl

Serpentine belt shredded, water pump, battery and power steering failed twice, once in 2012 and once in 2013. Serpentine belt replaced again in 2013 because it was damaged by a stone. Currently have lawsuit against GM to replace the car for safety reasons. They are dragging their feet. Lawsuit going on over a year.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Aug 082014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn while driving various speeds. The dealer stated that the steering wheel system needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 63,700.

- Greenland , NH, USA

Jul 252014

Traverse 6-cyl

On Friday, July 25, 2014, my 2011 Chevy Traverse stalled/shutdown while driving. I pulled out of a local gas station and immediately noticed that there was a noise coming from the engine. Almost simultaneously the car began to stall/shutdown. I pulled over to the shoulder (fortunately there was one). I turned the ac unit and radio off. I started the car without any noise. I drove approximately 1 mile, turned the ac back on and the car stalled/shutdown once again, this time as the car was going approximately 35 mph. To say the least, I was extremely distraught as the car lost power and steering. Fortunately, (for my family and Chevy), there were no children in the car and there was no accident. The service manager told me that the problem was related to the ac unit and wants to charge me almost $2,000 to fix! the ac unit was "fixed" back in June 2013 while car was under warranty. It is no longer covered by warranty. My issue is that the car stalled/shut down. A car shutting down at any speed is a clear and present danger. Traveling at 35 mph creates an even more dangerous situation. If the ac unit can stall a vehicle then this has to be an inherent design/production issue. There is no acceptable way that an ac unit can fail and thus cause the vehicle to shut down putting people's lives in danger. Hopefully, my incident report will prevent any future problems like this from occurring, and most importantly, protect people's lives.

- Katonah, NY, USA

Jul 152013

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn and there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering column. An independent mechanic repaired the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 121,000. Updated 09/15/14

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Traverse

When slowing down to make a stop, steering assist was lost. Assist returned after shutting off vehicle and restarting. The first day, it happened on two occasions but during subsequent days, frequency of loss of assist increased until it happens on nearly every stop. When this happens, steering effort increases making vehicle control difficult.

- Novi, MI, USA

Oct 202012

Traverse 6-cyl

Car became very hard to steer, made a rubbing noise. We parked and looked under the chassis to see if we had snagged a branch or something. Since that incident it has happened several more times. I took it to a local repair garage and had them drive it around. Of course it didn't happen for them. I had the dealer check it out, they couldn't find the problem either. When this occurs I have to wrestle with the steering. It has happened while I try to park or turn a corner, I don't have to be going very fast. I mad a left turn one day and couldn't make the corner. Had there been cars parked along the street I would have had a real problem. As it was I parked and we took it in. It's very frustrating when professionals can't pinpoint the problem.

- Woodland, WA, USA