Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Oct 012013

Loud whining sound coming from front end. When turning steering wheel slowly you can hear a loud scratching noise. Bought the car brand new and only have 17K miles in 3 years. Entire steering column had to be replaced. Power steering fluid leaking.

- Villa Park, IL, USA

Dec 252013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact was driving 15 mph when the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified on the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 60000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 092011

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that there was an abnormal vibration in the steering wheel when turning in either direction. The contact also indicated that the vehicle was stationary. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the power steering fluid and pump were replaced but the failure was not remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 20,000. The VIN was not available.

- Coeur D'alene, ID, USA

Sep 212013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact was driving 15 mph when the power steering failed. The contact coasted off road, shut off and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle began to perform normally but the failure soon recurred. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer for repair where it was diagnosed with having leaks in the power steering pump as well as the rack and pinion. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The failure mileage was 69,632.

- Medaryville, IN, USA

Aug 062012

Traverse 6-cyl

While turning, my steering wheel locks up. Almost impossible to turn at times. It has made a squeaking noise for a while, but the "locking" just starting about 6 weeks ago. It doesn't happen all of the time and happens at various speeds while turning.

- Robinson, TX, USA

Jun 272013

Traverse 6-cyl

When you try to turn the steering wheel and the car is in drive to come out of a parking space, the steering wheel will not turn. Periodically while driving and making left turns primarily, the power steering is gone. You have to turn the wheel very hard to make a left turn. This happens daily in all weather conditions, both day and night. I took the vehicle to the dealer, and was told this is normal. However, each day, it becomes harder and harder to turn the steering wheel. I can not make any sudden turns, because the steering wheel will not turn and I am scared that my car will be hit, because I am not always able to turn the steering wheel.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

May 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering has issues at low speeds when turning. Dealer cost to replace pump and gear is 2,500!

- Spring Green, WI, USA

Jun 132013

I was parking, backing into parking spot going maybe 2 to 3 miles and hour, tried to put car into park, was a little difficult. Then tried to take key out of ignition switch and key would not come out. Then realized windows would not roll down (all 4). I locked the keys in the car with the locking fob. Later in the day a person came to me and said my lights and radio were on, due to the fact I had different people try to get the keys out of the ignition thought out the night I know the radio was off while we talked about how to get the keys out. The next morning I took the car into the dealer to be fixed. I have a warranty after market on the car. The dealer said the warranty company will not cover repairs. I am trying to find out if others have had this same problem.

- Poinciana, FL, USA

May 272013

Traverse 6-cyl

Took vehicle to dealer on Wednesday 06 / 05 / 13 squeaking noise / wining / it sounds like coming from steering wheel when turning the steering wheel left or right. Chevy dealer further inspected and found noise to be coming from steering gear housing. Recommended putting on revised housing to correct this condition and recommended to be installed and flush system to convert to atf. Told must perform this procedure to get rid of noise. GM should repair knowing they have this problems with steering gear housing with no charge.

- Stockbridge, MI, USA

May 112012

Around May 11, 2012, on the Ohio turnpike, accelerating to 65 mph, my car began to make a loud repetitive noise under the hood. After a few miles, a battery service light came on. The car began to overheat and become difficult to steer. As I reached a pullover, the power steering failed and everything else quit working (radio, lights, etc.) I turned the car off and could not turn it back on. When the car was towed, we found the belt was shredded and dragged behind the car. I was told there was a problem with the water pump. The car was about 11 mos old and had about 11,000 miles on it. On June 2, 2013, deja vu. As I left a store and accelerated to 45 mph, my car began to make a loud repetitive noise under the hood. As I accelerated, the noises were louder and faster. I drove about 5 miles to walmart, the noises continued, so I drove home, about 5 miles. In the morning, I drove the car very slowly because I thought the belt was shredding again, and as I drove more slowly, the noise (from the pieces of the belt slapping around the engine) became less and I hoped I could make the belt last until I got to the dealer. The service battery light came on and when I turned left at an intersection near the dealership, the car was very hard to steer and I could barely turn into the dealership. The driver following me said he could see the shredded belt dragging. I learned there had been other cars on which the belt had shredded and that there was a service bulletin to put a lining in to protect the belt from damage, not sure if this had been done on my car I learned there is also a recall related to the water pump. In both cases, I was fortunate not to be in heavy traffic, near trucks, or passing on a country road. This seems very dangerous to me.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Apr 152013

Traverse 6-cyl

High pitched squeal/squeaky noise coming from the steering column when turning either left or right at all forward speeds, reverse and stationary. My local dealership where I purchased the vehicle new says this is a problem with the "rack and pinion assembly" and has been a recall item on 2009 & 2010 Traverses, but not on the 2011-2013. They examined the vehicle (for a cost of $39.95) and said they could repair it for $435.54, but said it would not be a problem to drive it as is until it gets worse of affects the steering operation. They have done 2 such repairs on 2011 models. I believe that as this is happening at 29 months (since newly purchased by myself) and at such a low mileage to have steering issues, I would think this must be a persistent design/engineering defect. I hope the NHTSA and would initiate a recall. My wife drives 140 mile trips often to visit our daughter's family and our grandchildren often ride with her in the Traverse and we have driven the Traverse to myrtle beach, kitty hawk, nc, Pennsylvania and Mississippi and I am concerned for my family's safety. Chevrolet usa should step up to correct the problem at their cost. I have noted one other report of this steering problem on this website and those who my dealership said paid for the fix on their Traverses. There are certain to be many more who haven't reported the issue to you and I urge you to initiate the recall. Thank you.

- Murfreesboro, NC, USA

Apr 302013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the brake light illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer. The dealer stated that the brake fluid was low and the front passenger's side brake caliper was leaking. The dealer replaced the brake hose gasket, added brake fluid, and replaced the brake caliper on the passenger's side. The dealer also noticed that the vehicle had worn tie-rods and replaced them both. The contact stated that after the repair, the steering wheel started to squeak when being turned. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer and the dealer replaced the steering housing. The failure mileage was 10,823.

- Mcclellandtown, PA, USA

Feb 052013

I first took my vehicle into jim ball Pontiac a GM certified dealer in orchard park, NY because of a whining noise by engine. They told me it was a leak in power steering box and serviced it. The. Ext day after I picked up the vehicle I was driving up to an intersection to make a left and the vehicle began whining really loud. My steering locked up during my left hand turn cause me to drive head on with 2 other vehicles that were traveling about 50 mph. I was able to avoid accident and after I pulled over the steering was normal in about 20 seconds. The vehicle was relooked at jim ball and they blamed it on a bubble in the line. I opened a case with GM regarding this and I'm not getting much help.

- Blasdell, NY, USA

Jun 262012

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact was driving 10 mph and making a turn when he heard noises coming from the front of the vehicle. He also noticed that the steering wheel had seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer advised that they had to replace the steering pump. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 44,000 and the current mileage was 50,000. Updated 8/23/12 the consumer stated according to the dealer the rack and pinion needed to bereplaced. The vehicle was repaired. Updated 09/06/2012

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 032011

Traverse 4-cyl

Pullling up to the airport parking as I was getting my ticket to enter the parking lot the gate open and I step on the gas to continue when the truck shifted to the right being in between two barriers the truck did had minor scratches on the right bumper when it shifted to the right I could not go forward or reverse I got off to see what was wrong and I saw something under the right tire I got back in the car but could not move I got off again and took a good look and I saw the tired rod was broken the inside look like an explosion on the inner right side I call onstar and they provided me with a tow truck we took it to the dealer where it was bought on Monday my husband call and they said they couldnt cover it cause it was due to a collision we said but we didnt crash or hit anything only when it shifted but had nothing severe on the body they said no contact your insurance we call Chevrolet corporation and they said they believe the mechanics and they were not going to fix anything so they made our insurance pay for the damage which we believe its very unfair having a warranty we got the vehicle back and we hear a noise the tires has 2 gashes it took them 2 days to call back and said nothing is wrong with the vehicle and the tire at the moment they check it was not like that but now they notice is damage and they made us call our insurance again because they were not going to pay for anything or fix it. I believe this is the worst service and most of all I could of lost my life due to this incident or lost my baby since I am pregnant. I have pictures to prove where and what happen to it also tow truck man said it was the axle/tire rod when he pick it up.

- Chicago , IL, USA