2012 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Traverse:

2012 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Aug 192016

The car's engine sounds too loud. I bought the car late December 2015 and I told the servce advisor that something is wrong with the wiring because the light bulb needed to change, sounds from speakers would bounce off from one speaker to another, the windows would not go back up, and engine was louder than usual. Two weeks ago, while I was on I-95 with my kids, the engine light came on, the car automatically slowed down on me, traction control automatically turned off, the car stated engine power slowed and stabitalk light came on. I was terrified. I'm already a victim of mile discrepancy and poor professionalism from the GM from autonation Chevrolet delray and I'm still having problems with my vehicle. I took my car there a time back in may because my engine was shaking, I was told they fixed my engine but the car was still shaking afterwards. Also the seatbelt for the middle seat of the second row, works when it wants to. I went to autonation to look at the vehicle, they claimed it doesn't have engine issues even though they did not give me a copy of the results of the whole diagonosis.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 112016

I bought this car used in April 2016, within 72 hours I noticed it was making some horrible noises. My family mechanic said the idler belt tensioner was bad, multi motor issues, 2 fuses were blown, 2 bad window motors, ac was not super cold and the airbag recalls were all still present. I took it back to the dealer to get serviced and one of the employees wrecked it in service and no one told me so I found it when I got home, they kept my car for close to 5 weeks to repair it and then take it to an autobody shop since the dent was bad enough were the rear quarter panel needed to be replaced. Now that I have it back, I have experienced multi times where the power steering goes out in the rain. And today the ac stopped working. I am not saying this is the case for everyone but after researching it, it does appear I am not the only one with negative comments about these cheaply made "american" SUV's. I am a single mother and although I make good money- I do not have enough saved up to take it back to the shop for repairs. I am extremely disappointed in the dealership and Chevy.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Jun 262016

While driving on the highway, my chev Traverse traction control, stabilitrak, ABS and brake warning lights lit up! when both accelerating and applying brakes the car drags. Additionally the air conditioning blows harders on its own.

- Raeford, NC, USA

Jun 032015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 45 mph, the traction and electronic stability control warning lights illuminated. The instrument panel failed and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,739.

- Dawson Springs, KY, USA

Feb 172016

As I was driving the truck started flashing several warnings and the check engine light came on. The car would also not accelerate higher than about 20mph. The errors mentioned stabilitrack needs service, engine power reduced, traction control off and others. I took it to O'reilly and received error code P2138. Had to pay over 400 to get sensor replaced at dealer but upon further research many others have encountered this same issue and the issue keeps recurring. This is very dangerous if driving on the expressway and suddenly your car does not accelerate.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 272016

My wife left for work acouple of mornings and calls me to tell me the traction control light, check engine light and the stabilitrac light came on and the vehicle had trouble driving when she would press on the gas.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Dec 302015

Traverse 6-cyl

Car lost engine power while driving over 60mph on the expressway.

- Skokie, IL, USA

Oct 092015

The battery voltage display on the dash is reading a below normal reading. Battery was replaced due to this. But still the display is reading a below normal reading. Had battery and alternator tested, all tests confirmed battery and alternator were fine and there should be no reason the dash display should be showing a lower reading. This occurs at all times, from cranking, to idling and driving. At times the reading will fluctuate into the normal area, but it is brief and will soon return to a lower reading. This occurs also at all times on all road surfaces and all driving conditions.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Oct 102015

I was on a highway driving at a speed of 55 miles per hour when the traction control stability warning light came on and a message of a reduced engine power message was flashing car lost speed for a few seconds then picked up again. Pulled over turned car off for a few minutes. When I turned it back on the engine light came on and has been on since.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Jun 302015

While traveling at about 55 mph in fairly heavy traffic on an upgrade, suddenly and without warning my car slowed to 28 mph. We were almost rear ended by a triaxle dump truck. The display on the dash showed "check stabilitrack - traction control off". we weren't far from home and limped back at 28 mph. The left front wheel speed sensor had come off. Nothing else wrong. This is a dangerous condition - to allow the car to only travel up to 28 mph for no real reason. I hate to think what might have happened if this had occurred on an interstate highway at 70 mph in bumper to bumper traffic.

- West Sunbury, PA, USA

Mar 022015

Driving when car beeps 4 times and control lights come on saying traction control off, stability control off, engine power low. Slows the car down to 15-20 mph. Very dangerous as there is very little time to respond. Luckily, I wasn't going very fast to begin with, but on the highway it could be disastrous. It slows the engine and cannot go any faster.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Jun 192014

First incident I was driving at approximately 60 mph, when I got a check engine light, service stabile track, and the cruise kicked off, the vehicle slowed and started to chug. I pulled over, shut the vehicle off. Checked the oil etc, and restarted, it seemed fine. A couple of weeks later, I was at a stop light when it did the same thing, except this time the vehicle shut off. I have had three more occurances with this and they seem to be getting closer together. Something needs to be done about this as it is a real cause for concern. I have read the forums and many who have the same issue that I have. I do not feel safe in this vehicle, and dread transporting my family in it at this time.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Dec 162014

Car stability control faulted and throttled the vehicle to 15 mph on the hwy. Almost killed my wife and children as she had to go across 3 lanes of traffic to pull off the hwy.

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Mar 152012

The vehicle makes a grinding noise when braking. When you hit the brakes you also hear a crunching sound from the inside of the car. When attempting to stop you also feel the car jerking. The car has the stabilitrak light come on and when that happens it also says you have lost traction for the vehicle. When this happens the car feels like its gliding and has difficulty stopping. The engine in my car has a noise on the drivers side since the day I purchased the vehicle. At times you can even hear the noise while driving with your windows up.

- Downey, CA, USA

Jul 112014

I was driving through a parking lot and the stabillitrack light came on, the check engine light flashed and the traction control light came on. The driver center said the traction control shut off and it also stated to service stabillitrack. The engine seemed to slow itself as well. I parked the vehicle and waited a few minutes. The warning lights finally went off on their own and the traction control turned back on, on it's own. The car seemed ok driving home for 2 miles and engine power seemed to return to normal but there seems to be some hesitation in the transmission shifting at low speeds too. I called the dealer and the soonest they can get me in to check the car is Monday. I asked if it was safe to drive and they would not commit to safety or reliability but refused provide any relief until Monday and gave me no offer of a loaner car. I just did some investigating online to research what the cause of this problem might be and it appears that this is a very common problem with this vehicle and it can occur at high speeds on the highway. Many forums list many people with this complaint. I am concerned this could occur again and cause an accident. The problem looks to be intermittent and will occur without warning at any speed. In my opinion this is a safety problem which needs to be taken seriously. I am fearful for my families safety in this vehicle.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Jun 132013

Traverse 6-cyl

Between 5 and 7 times the dashboard message would appear with message stating service air bags. Took to dealer on four occasions to fix. Next a dashboard message would appear informing me of engine failure, loss of power.the vehicle would slow down to no more than 20 mph. Pulled over shut engine off and than it would be ok. Next time about 5 days later the message again appeared when my wife was driving with grand kids. The engine slowed down to about 20 mph, while she was blending into traffic on a highway. Had to pull over or be run over by traffic. Took car to dealer for repair. Next the vehicle developed a backlash in drive train, which is noisy. Dealer said G.M had service bulletin on the noise and recommended ( do not repair) noise is typical. Idid not have the noise for first 20,000 miles. Afraid that this is another safety issue that G.M does not want to address. Lost all confidence in vehicle safety. G.M won't buy the vehicle back or give a realistic trade in value for it.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

Jan 112014

Driving on highway, started up hill at 55 mph in traffic. Following alarms came on: Traction control dashboard symbol; stabilitrack off; engine power reduced; traction control disabled. Vehicle immediately slowed to 40 mph and would not go faster. Online forums indicate this is a throttle body or ECU problem, known to GM at least since 2010. It has been handled on an individual basis depending how much the individual customers complain. I regard this as a safety issue since in highway traffic it could lead to a rearend collision at high speed with consequent loss of vehicle control and loss of lives. Believe GM has used search engine optimization to bury the forum discussions on this, but if you search for Chevy Traverse throttle body defect you can easily find it.

- Colchester, CT, USA