3.0

2012 Chevrolet Traverse electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Traverse:

2012 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Oct 102015

Traverse

2012 Chevy Traverse engine light and traction control light come on. Engine loses power and requires the vehicle to. E restarted to regain power. We have had the vehicle checked by the dealership 3 times for the same reason. The dealership has reset the computer each time. The last time the diagnostic computer the dealer has stated low fuel volume. The traction control and engine light come on the same day usually within an hour or two. The service advisor told us to try hi test ethanol free gas. We did as told with a fuel treatment they put in the tank. The lights still came on. When the Traverse is started in the morning(cold start) the engine runs rough. This vehicle only has 47000 miles on it and was purchased new. We have alway kept the vehicle maintained. Last year the Traverse started using oil a quart or more in 1000 miles when driven on long trips.

- Potsdam, NY, USA

Apr 112016

Traverse

I bought this car used in April 2016, within 72 hours I noticed it was making some horrible noises. My family mechanic said the idler belt tensioner was bad, multi motor issues, 2 fuses were blown, 2 bad window motors, ac was not super cold and the airbag recalls were all still present. I took it back to the dealer to get serviced and one of the employees wrecked it in service and no one told me so I found it when I got home, they kept my car for close to 5 weeks to repair it and then take it to an autobody shop since the dent was bad enough were the rear quarter panel needed to be replaced. Now that I have it back, I have experienced multi times where the power steering goes out in the rain. And today the ac stopped working. I am not saying this is the case for everyone but after researching it, it does appear I am not the only one with negative comments about these cheaply made "american" SUV's. I am a single mother and although I make good money- I do not have enough saved up to take it back to the shop for repairs. I am extremely disappointed in the dealership and Chevy.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Jun 032015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 45 mph, the traction and electronic stability control warning lights illuminated. The instrument panel failed and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,739.

- Dawson Springs, KY, USA

May 022016

Traverse

Major saftey risk: My Traverse was well maintained was often filled with soccer kids. The safety failure could have been deadly! while driving, the auto began displaying the following messages in rapid succession: Battery saver active, service battery charging system, service traction control, service stabilitrak. I parked the car to drop of my kids, the car would not start again. After a jump, I headed for the dealer which was 4 miles away. Operations appeared ok initially. On the expressway, the car electronics went out. Not just radio and A/C, but all electrical. I realized that the engine was no longer running while in rush hour traffice on a Chicago expressway. No hazards, no way to lower windows, I was extremely lucky to find a gap in the traffic to get to the side of the road and park. From the shoulder of the expressway, cars continued to fly past me at high speed. This was absolutely chaotic and dangerous. I waited for aaa to arrive. Aaa was forced to tow (my Traverse is front wheel drive) rather than flatbed because without electricity we the car was stuck in park. At the Chevy dealer, they quickly read the error codes and presented me with a $1,400 estimate to replace the alternator. Sharing my frustration and pointing out that this type of catastrophic failure was well beyond any reasonable expectation of a presumably safe vehicle, they found a way to lower the cost to $607. (I do respect and appreciate the service department at the dealership.) this clearly should be a recall issue and Chevy should correct these issues on their dime. I bought the Traverse with the expecatation of safety and reliability. I am now very skeptical and am hessitant to fill this 8 seater with kids the way I used too. Many others have experienced similar failures. This is a potential mortal danger to drivers, passengers and other innocent bystanders!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 252016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to control. The contact stated that the vehicle began to sway to the left and right without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Dec 302015

Traverse 6-cyl

Car lost engine power while driving over 60mph on the expressway.

- Skokie, IL, USA

Dec 052014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled and several unknown indicators illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 062015

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving on a residential street a warning message of "service battery charging system" came on. I immediately moved to the shoulder, turned the car off, restarted it, and got the same message. Not knowing if it would be safe to drive any further and not have any loss of control in traffic I called a friend who said the battery might have sufficient power to allow me to limp in to a dealer for service. After a "white knuckle" drive I got to the dealer and about $1150 worth of repairs later things seem to be back in order. I was told the charging system failed. Hard to believe this could happen in less than three years and less than 40,000 miles. I can't imagine what would have happened if the engine had lost power because of this premature and sudden failure.

- Monticello, IL, USA

Oct 032014

Traverse

While driving in our Traverse the ignition fell out if the on position killing the engine and locking the steering wheel.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 262014

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving my children to school a warning light came on to check power charging system but then it went off. A few minutes later my air conditioning shut off and the power saving mode light came on followed a few minutes by the battery warning light. Later that evening I had my husband follow me to a nearby auto shop to have the car checked out. The air would not even come on and I drove less than 2 miles to the shop. Near the auto shop after having the car checked out and told to replace the battery I attempted to drive home with the intent to return the next day since it was closing time and no work could be done. The car experienced a complete power failure at a major intersection. The alternator had failed on a car less than 3 years old and under 50,000 miles. I have done research and this is a fairly common issue with the 2012 Traverse and is not considered a flaw or cause for concern or recall. Does someone need to die before this problem is addressed?

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jul 112014

Traverse 6-cyl

Opened the lift gate with the key fob, made a loud noise when fully extended and immediately started shutting while I was getting something out of the back. Don't know if the door would have bounced back up if it hit me and would have started coming back down again since it doesn't stay up. Used manual mode and door does not stay up. Googled it and apparently there have been problems since 2007 with the power lift gate in the Saturn outlook, acadia, Traverse, enclave, and equinox.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 182014

Traverse

Received the following warnings all of the sudden: Traction control off, traction control needs service, stabilitrak off, stabilitrak needs service. Check engine light came on at the same time. Vehicle began trying to stall. Luckily, I was on a country road and could easily pull over quickly. All of the warnings went off after a minute and I resumed driving. Every time I had to slow down and come to a stop, the automatic transmission would downshift very hard. After searching the internet to see what the issue could be, I found countless forums with countless people having the exact same issue, but some were in a more dangerous situation going highway speeds in traffic. Of those people many of them have taken their vehicle to their GM dealerships and have spent hundreds and even thousands of dollars on failed attempts to fix it only to continue to have this problem. Some will no longer allow other family members/children to ride in the vehicles due to the danger of stalling suddenly with no warning. I was shocked to see how many Chevy models and years including brand new 2014's are having this exact issue and GM is doing very well at avoiding responsibility. The new owners are protected by lemon laws financially, but the only option for owners with a vehicle over a year old is to sell or trade in. Either way, this is putting yet another unknowing consumer in danger and it is keeping these defective vehicles on the road where we and our loved ones drive everyday. The right and "safe" thing to do is for GM to take responsibility for a faulty product. The right thing for everyone else to do that isn't employed by or in GM's pocket is to report it and take action. It's about safety. That should be the priority, not money.

- Dresser, WI, USA