2012 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Traverse:

2012 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Jun 032015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 45 mph, the traction and electronic stability control warning lights illuminated. The instrument panel failed and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,739.

- Dawson Springs, KY, USA

Mar 022015

Traverse

Driving when car beeps 4 times and control lights come on saying traction control off, stability control off, engine power low. Slows the car down to 15-20 mph. Very dangerous as there is very little time to respond. Luckily, I wasn't going very fast to begin with, but on the highway it could be disastrous. It slows the engine and cannot go any faster.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Jun 192014

Traverse

First incident I was driving at approximately 60 mph, when I got a check engine light, service stabile track, and the cruise kicked off, the vehicle slowed and started to chug. I pulled over, shut the vehicle off. Checked the oil etc, and restarted, it seemed fine. A couple of weeks later, I was at a stop light when it did the same thing, except this time the vehicle shut off. I have had three more occurances with this and they seem to be getting closer together. Something needs to be done about this as it is a real cause for concern. I have read the forums and many who have the same issue that I have. I do not feel safe in this vehicle, and dread transporting my family in it at this time.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Oct 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

A week ago my Traverse started making a grinding noise, and I thought it was the brakes so I took it to our mechanic who checked all four wheels and determined the brakes were fine. He said it was possibly a rock or something causing the noise and it stopped for a few days. This morning I was pulling into a parking spot at work and the steering froze up completely and the brakes did not want to work either. I almost hit the car I was parking next to! I'm so glad that didn't happen in the middle of traffic or a main street or it could have been a lot worse. Very scary, but what would cause this" will GM be looking into this before someone gets really hurt or has a major accident" taking back to the mechanic Wednesday to check the steering pump.... not happy.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 182013

Traverse

Stabilitrac and traction control and engine light was flashing... kept misfiring, took the vehicle to the dealership and I am still as of September 17 having the same issue... there has been no resolution.

- Athens, TX, USA

Aug 262014

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving my children to school a warning light came on to check power charging system but then it went off. A few minutes later my air conditioning shut off and the power saving mode light came on followed a few minutes by the battery warning light. Later that evening I had my husband follow me to a nearby auto shop to have the car checked out. The air would not even come on and I drove less than 2 miles to the shop. Near the auto shop after having the car checked out and told to replace the battery I attempted to drive home with the intent to return the next day since it was closing time and no work could be done. The car experienced a complete power failure at a major intersection. The alternator had failed on a car less than 3 years old and under 50,000 miles. I have done research and this is a fairly common issue with the 2012 Traverse and is not considered a flaw or cause for concern or recall. Does someone need to die before this problem is addressed?

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jan 302014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that after shifting into drive, the vehicle erroneously accelerated and crashed into a telephone pole. The contact sustained back, hip, and knee injuries while the passenger sustained lung contusions from the air bag deployment. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that he applied the brakes however, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact removed his foot from the brakes and the vehicle began to function normally. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,800. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fortworth, TX, USA

Aug 142012

Traverse

2012 Chevrolet Traverse. Consumer writes in regards to speedometer and gps the consumer stated he set the cruise control for less than 75 mph and his garmin gps nuvi confirmed the same speed. However, he was cited for speeding. The sheriff stated his radar was much more accurate than his speedometer and gps.

- Stamford, CT, USA