2012 Chevrolet Traverse seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Traverse:

2012 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 012015

Traverse

The middle seatbelts in the middle and back row lock up and will not release. First in the second row, the middle seatbelt locks up when the seat gets folded down. The seatbelt will then not release. Sometimes you can pull it out and let it go back a few times and it will eventually come out, but not every time. The middle seatbelt in the third row seat became wrapped around my child's neck and would not release. I had to pull over and the belt was locked so tight around his neck that I could not maneuver it to get it off of his neck. I was eventually able to get him to bend his neck far enough to get it our from behind him, but this could have been catastrophic if he did not or was not able to notify me when it happened. This happened while the car was moving. Passenger airbag light keeps coming on.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Jun 302016

Traverse

The driver steering wheel front airbag did not deploy when I hit another vehicle from behind. When we received the letter about recall we brought the vehicle into service Chevrolet in lafayette, la.

- Lafayettte, LA, USA

May 292016

Traverse

"takata recall" I recently purchased a 2012 Chevrolet taverse with 35,000 miles from supreme Chevrolet Cadillac of plaquemine on 5/23/2016. The engine light has been on for a little over a week now, the "service airbag" shows on the dashboard, the airbag light is on, the steering wheel alignment is off, the passenger window power button on the driver side want roll the window down at times, their is a noise when the air is on and also when I turn it off, and gets worse when I move the steering wheel.. my car was parked in my driveway when I noticed the lights for the airbag and engine, it was in motion when I noticed the button for the window, the steering wheel alignment was off, and the noise being made. Their was a recall on 2012 Chevrolet Traverse in December of 2015 and earlier in 2015, im not sure how long a recall last but if I am gonna pay almost $41,000 for this vehicle I would like for not only myself but my 3 children and fiance to feel safe riding in it. If there is anything else I need to explain feel free to contact me..

- Plaquemine, LA, USA

Sep 162012

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Apr 232016

Traverse

While driving my airbag indicator light on dash came on & message (service airbag) not sure if this is linked to any of the recalls for the airbag system or seatbelts. Current mileage is 42516 & have not yet got appointment w/the service department to have it checked. The light comes on as soon as I turn the key to start & stays on until the vehicle is parked & turned off. The light is on the highway, roadways, & at idle. It worries me in case of an accident the system may fail. (note: Its best if you contact me by email)

- Ashland, KY, USA

Dec 112015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- North Zulch, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at 55 mph, the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated without a passenger in the seat. In addition, after starting the vehicle, the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front passenger side air bag control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Houma, LA, USA

Jan 012014

Traverse

Over the past couple years the vehicle "check air bag" light has come on multiple times and a warning indicator on the dash indicating someone has not buckled their seat belt. I have taken the vehicle to the dealership at least 5 or six times for the same problem and they have been unable to correct the problem. Most recent repair attempt was 1/4/16 and I have an appointment scheduled for 2/1/16. I have reached out to the service manager, customer relations rep and most recently corporate (case# 8-1796822227). We purchased the vehicle new but have not felt safe in it since this first started happening. We try to minimise use but have 5 grand children that we regularly haul around. We don't really recall when the problem first started. Again we do not feel this vehicle is safe and believe it should be reported and looked into.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Dec 042015

Traverse

Service airbag light is on for about 2 months an I have called dealership an GM complaint place they did a diagnostics an said it was a problem an would cost me 400$ this vehicle has never been in an accident I keep manitenaince on it. It has also been in for seatbelt safety problems. The paint is peeling off the door in the back that lifts up. The safety light goes off if I choose check system but comes back on on the read out it said some kinda connector needs to be replaced

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 282015

Traverse

I had bought the 2012 Chevy Traverse in Dec 2012, prior to my deployment to afghanistan. Since about 7 months that we have owned the vehicle it has been in the dealership regularly to have the safety recalls fixed for the air bags and the fastener. This vehicle has been in the shop roughly 8 times and still will come on when it decides to. In July 2015 this vehicle was in the shop 3 times for the same issue. We bought this vehicle do to the ratings it had, but now the wife hardly drives the vehicle being that when the light comes on it shuts the airbags off creating a very large safety issue especially with my children in the car.

- Allenhurst, GA, USA

Jan 312015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a wiring failure underneath the front passenger seat and the wire connection needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 51,000.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Apr 212015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at 55 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated and flickered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,023.

- Oconto Falls, WI, USA

Mar 102015

Traverse 6-cyl

My car is notifying me to service air bags. I have never received a message like this from any of my cars and when I took it in, the dealer said it is not on a recall so I would have to pay for it. It is an airbag and I feel that it may be a recall since it is a manufacturers issue and obviously I can't do anything to the airbag. I would hate to see a fatality due to the airbag and then a recall is issued out after the fact.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Mar 152015

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V118000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 49,550. Updated 5/5/15 updated 06/18/15

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Jun 022014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V118000 (air bags). The contact stated that the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Goose Creek , SC, USA

Dec 082014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 152014

Traverse

The service airbag and seat belt reminder light intermittently is coming on on driver dashboard. Happens with passenger is in the front seat. The passenger and driver were both bucked up. Took it to a service center and there are no codes stored. System is checking out with pass when it is checked. There are no fail indicators. Both recalls have been repaired with the seat belt and the airbag system wiring harness and the issue is still recurring.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jul 012014

Traverse

2012 Chevrolet Traverse. Consumer writes in regards to airbag and seat belt recall issues. The consumer stated the two recalls should have been mentioned at the time of purchasing the vehicle.

- Boulder City, NV, USA

Jun 132013

Traverse 6-cyl

Between 5 and 7 times the dashboard message would appear with message stating service air bags. Took to dealer on four occasions to fix. Next a dashboard message would appear informing me of engine failure, loss of power.the vehicle would slow down to no more than 20 mph. Pulled over shut engine off and than it would be ok. Next time about 5 days later the message again appeared when my wife was driving with grand kids. The engine slowed down to about 20 mph, while she was blending into traffic on a highway. Had to pull over or be run over by traffic. Took car to dealer for repair. Next the vehicle developed a backlash in drive train, which is noisy. Dealer said G.M had service bulletin on the noise and recommended ( do not repair) noise is typical. Idid not have the noise for first 20,000 miles. Afraid that this is another safety issue that G.M does not want to address. Lost all confidence in vehicle safety. G.M won't buy the vehicle back or give a realistic trade in value for it.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

Apr 122013

Traverse 6-cyl

The service airbag light was on. Took it in to the dealer. They replaced the front seat outboard seat back airbag. June 5 it went back in with the airbag light on again. They fixed a connector in the driver seat side airbag. Oct 18 it went back in with the airbag light on. They replaced the front seat anchor plate tensioner. Dec 31 it went back in with the airbag light on. They replaced the module and harness assy. Feb 12 it went back in again. They replaced the wiring in passenger and driver side airbags. March 17 it went back in again. They offered me a new car.

- Middlefield, OH, USA