9.1

2017 Chevrolet Volt brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Volt:

2017 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Dec 262016

Volt

We are writing to voice a very disconcerting and dangerous incident with our 2017 Chevy Volt. On a return trip at dark from cleveland, Ohio to rochester, NY on 12-26-16, our engine suddenly gave warning beeps which prompted my husband to pull over to the shoulder on interstate 90 in erie, pa. We had all of 15-20 seconds to get off this heavily trafficked highway when the car literally shut down.. nothing worked not even the warning flashers. We could not open the trunk, and had we not kept one door open we would not have been able to enter the car. In summary, the total failure we encountered shows the serious safety issue related to this car. We are now reluctant to take it on trips this incident could have resulted in a serious accident had we not been able to pull off onto the shoulder.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 022016

Volt

2017 Chevrolet Volt extreme engine hazard: On 22-Mar-2016 I purchased a 2017 Chevrolet Volt premier, all safety options. Driving on freeway at 65 mph, straight driving, relatively light traffic, the engine light came on yellow and steady (emissions system service warning) but the car uncontrollably decelerated. The freeway had no shoulder due to construction. The car smelled of burning electrical insulation confirmed by the tow truck driver. The car, with less than 150 total miles, in clear weather, at twilight, 76 degrees, California at sea level, straightaway, had a sudden and near total loss of all propulsion. This caused a lack of control (obviously) in the forward direction, causing an extreme hazard on the freeway. I am an experienced driver: Make no mistake, this was a serious manufacture's error. I checked, no parking brake, the car was in drive gear, I had both electric range and over 7/8 tank of gas showing a gas range of 360 miles - and I had just driven 60 miles. There was no brake smell, as I did not need to apply the brake because the engine gave no propulsion. My hand was off the regen switch. The car had a major malfunction causing an extreme hazard, and based on the smell, possible fire hazard.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA