CarComplaints.com Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

2011 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Oct 092014

200

The alternator of the vehicle failed as I was driving and caused the vehicle to stop operating.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Mar 242014

200 4-cyl

Stalled and died several times while leaving work. Rpms would jump and fall for no reason. When it was wet outside it was worse. Took to dealer 3xs they could not get it to duplicate so nothing was done. It would often stall at red lights and while in drive.

- Story City, IA, USA

Mar 122014

200

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cylinder head needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at 20 mph and going down a hill, the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes hesitated to respond without warning. The failure occurred on two occasions. The contact also stated that while reversing, there was an abnormal noise. The contact discovered that there was a leak under the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering lines needed to be replaced. The technician discovered that there was another substance other than brake fluid in the brake fluid reservoir, which caused the brakes to hesitate to respond. The vehicle was repaired but the repairs were unknown. The contact stated that she was concerned for her safety even though the necessary repairs were performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jun 132011

200

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact was driving approximately 10 mph when the check engine and ABS indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Additionally, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred for three years. The dealer replaced two sensors, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- Silvania , AL, USA

Jan 152012

200

After a shifting update performed at Chrysler dealer in Jan 2014. The car S transmission runs odd. The RPM sticks at 3 while driving 35 mph. The RPM gauge June while driving even w cruise set. Slow and hesitant while up hill or speeding up. Took to dealer 3xs w same issue no results. No warning lights or codes. One day the warning light dinged a few times while driving car but still no lights/codes. Dewey said drive it til it stalls (it has) or til dash light comes on.

- Story City, IA, USA

May 152014

200

Car is a Chrysler 200, 2011, I was making a right turn, and the car stalled, the speed was around 10 mph, I contacted the Chrysler dealer near my home and they told me that " do not know why the vehicle stalled " I explained, I was driving make a right turn and car stalled, and nothing works, car die, told me to bring the vehicle and I will be charge for it. I when to this site and I found out that is a known issue with this car, why the dealer told me that " and why the NHTSA do nothing about, is very dangerous, I could be involve in an accident, could be injury or a fatal. NHTSA waiting to be fatality in order to get involved????? why we have to die " to take actions.please fix this terrible issue.

- Venice, FL, USA

Apr 022014

200 6-cyl

First incident I was leaving a parking lot my car stalled,2nd after a stop sign, 3rd pulling out of a driveway. And today at a stop light. Cannot get an appointment at dealership for 3 weeks since I need a loaner car. If it happens again, I will drive it there and demand it be fixed.

- Howard Beach, NY, USA

Jun 192013

200 4-cyl

The problem: Popping #33 fuse (switch bank/diagnostic link connector/PCM), have been replacing fuses each and every time so I can go on with my business. I find that it happens between shifting gears. It does not matter if you are in drive/automatic mode or auto-stick mode. Did not turn my car in right away (now I wish I would have) because I would have felt silly if I had my car towed and the tech. Found that a $.25 fuse was blown. This is a very serious issue with a risk factor through the roof because the drive train completely shuts down. No power steering, no power brakes. At highway speeds you pucker up and hope you can make it to the side without getting into an accident before your car comes to a complete stop. First time it happened, it just rained heavily and I thought something got wet - entering the freeway up shift from 2nd-3rd 34084 miles second time, turning into my driveway downshift from 2nd to 1st - coincidence? 35028 miles third time, abrupt stop downshift from 6th to 1st 36013 fourth time - pulling into work downshift from 3rd to 2nd 37112 fifth time - slowing down on expressway downshift 5th to 4th 38223 sixth time - slowing to a stop downshift 2nd to 3rd 38,764 seventh time - during rush hour stop and go traffic (the last straw) up-shift 2nd to 3rd 39,134 eighth time - within 15 minutes of seventh time stopping at a stop light. Downshift 2nd to 1st 39,146 ninth time - next morning on my way to the dealership - up-shift from 4th to 5th 39,164 went to dealership and made an appointment. Luckily I am conscious of my surroundings and was able to get out of harms way every time. I will not let my wife drive this car, for her safety, until it is fixed. Is there a documented fix for this?

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jun 142013

200

When I was making a gradual right hand turn (curve to the right) at approximately 15 mph, on flat land, I experienced total engine shutdown, electrical shutdown, and loss of power steering in a split second - without warning. After I gathered my composure, I put the car in park, turned the ignition off, then turned the ignition back on and I was on my way without issue since. My 2011 Chrysler 200 (4 cylinder) has only experienced this 1 time, but once is definitely enough for me!

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Dec 122012

200 4-cyl

While setting the cruise control on this rental vehicle (enterprise car rental), my knee accidentally bumped the ignition which ended up turning the car off. Realizing that the car was slowing down, I assumed that the cruise control setting hadn't taken. I tried to give the car gas manually and couldn't get the car to speed up. Unable to maintain speed, I attempted to maneuver the car to the shoulder amongst trucks and cars going 65 mph + on the 3 lane interstate highway. The hazards and turn signals were inoperable and the steering locked up. I narrowly escaped collision. I was able to restart the car on the shoulder and continue traveling.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Dec 032012

200

2011 Chrysler 200. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine cutting off while driving. The consumer stated the dealer was unable to find a problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 272012

200 6-cyl

Car stalled on the throbs neck expressway while sitting in heavy traffic. When I got the car started again it initially wouldn't move. When I did make off the highway the car shut off on me completely. I barely made ut back to New Jersey in the car because the car struggled to accelerate & move all the way home.check engine light is on as well as several other lights on the dash board. I had my entire family in the car that night (2 kids; husband & mother in law). I have been to the dealership 5 times to this issue & its not bern solved yet. This is my second complaint about this car to the NHTSA this time is more urgent because this car stalled in heavy traffic on a major highway this could've ended so badly.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Sep 162011

200 6-cyl

I purchased a 2011 Chrysler 200 in July of 2011. I have had multiple incidents where my vehicle has stalled with my foot on the brake sitting at a stop light. I have taken in the vehicle to be serviced 4 times in 1 year for this reason. And I have been told each time it is something different causing the problem. Also I have had two incidents where my vehicle would not start. I have had to have it towed twice in one month to the dealership, and both times I have been told it was my fuel pump. And there is one other time I took my vehicle in because it would have a slow crank and this incident I was told it was my battery so they replaced that. Also just to mention my vehicle is currently only has 17,280 miles on it.

- Tucson , AZ, USA

Mar 212012

200

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact restarted the vehicle and the vehicle functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection however, the cause of the failure was unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 16,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Yorbalinda, CA, USA

Sep 122012

200 6-cyl

The Chrysler 200 engine will stall when coming to a stop or already stopped. The engine fades slowly away and then completely turns itself off. This entire engine failing process lasts for approximately 7 seconds. This engine failure pose a significant safety risk and something needs to be done Chrysler dealership are aware of this issue, but unfortunately don't have an answer for a resolution of it. This issue needs to be looked at much closer and in-depth, since further delays could cause accidents and death. I plead that Chrysler takes responsibility for this problem and commence a recall program of the Chrysler 200 model. I've personally experienced the engine failing 4 times already. I brought it into the Chrysler dealership and have them take a look at it. I had to let the car sit at their shop for 2 days and they did not offer/give a free rental car for me. This car is under 1 year old. Prior to Chrysler I only owned foreign cars because of the perceived notion that american made cars are not reliable. I decided to give it a chance and wanted to buy american, so I got the Chrysler 200. So far that decision has turned out to be a big mistake (unless Chrysler offers a resolution to this problem). I don't want to lose faith in the american car company and hope that they do the right thing.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Oct 102012

200

I stopped at a red light, light went green and I let off the brake and car doesn't move. I pushed the gas and it still doesn't move. Also the engine makes no noise.. car was still on so I had to put in park and turn car off and restart to get it going. Very dangerous and this is the third time its happened.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152012

200

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while traveling between 20-30 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 19,900.

- Windham, OH, USA

Sep 072012

200 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway at 70mph the engine just stopped with no warning.

- Kirkwood, MO, USA

Sep 062012

200 6-cyl

While sitting at a red light during my drive to work, the engine of my Chrysler 200 simply shut off, with no warning light or indication associated with it. The car turned on without trouble when attempting to restart it. This is the second incident involving a stall with this vehicle. The first was August 29th, 2012, also at a red light during the drive to work.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Aug 252012

200

Stopped at red light, light turns green, I stepped on the gas & nothing happened.

- Newark, NJ, USA