CarComplaints.com Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

3.5

2011 Chrysler 200 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Aug 122016

200

Driving 60mph on the interstate. Slowed to 45-50mph for traffic congestion. Tried to accelerate again but gas pedal didn't respond. Didn't realize engine had stalled. Drifted over to slow lane to try to stop. Power steering and brakes went out. Put it in neutral and turned the ignition. Was able to get off the highway and drive to the dealership for repairs.

- Garner, NC, USA

Jun 192016

200

My 2011 Chrysler 200 V6 has now stalled while driving on three separate occasions. All three times I was going over 40 mph and the car just died with no warning. The car will not re-start right away, but after an hour or two the car will start normally with no indication of a problem. I have also noticed that the engine will randomly rev up and lurch while stooped at red lights, and will feel like it's about to stall but doesn't die totally, but will drive fine once I get moving again. Only by pure luck have I not been slammed into by a vehicle behind me when I've stalled. My car has an extended warranty, and each time this happened I took it to the chapman dealership in horsham, pa. However, each time I gave been told that they can't figure out the problem so they can't do anything for me. Basically they're telling me that it's my tough luck, and hopefully our faulty car that you have a warranty on doesn't get you or someone else killed. I recently had a data recorder installed for a three week period by the dealership. No stalling occured, so now Chrysler is telling me that the case is closed. No solution has been found, but they'er basically telling me to take my life in my hands with my car because they can't find the problem with the car I spent close to $30,000 for between car and extended warranty. They said to call them if it happens again...well, what if I can't call them because I'm dead or paralyzed. What if I cause an accident when my car dies on the highway and a car or minivan full of kids Ram into me or swerves to avoid me. I have googled this problem with 2011 Chrysler 200's and know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, so I think they are just trying to find a cheap solution on a case by case basis, don't want to go through the cost of a recall.

- Abington, PA, USA

Mar 222016

200

Dash board lights flash, horn enables for about 20 seconds and vehicle does not start. Two batteries replaced. Two days of ase certified mechanic time. Half of which was charging the brand new battery that died within a week. On or about March 22, 2016, attempt to start car failed with the dash board light flash, horn enables, and the vehicle will not start. Horn enables for about 15 seconds each time we attempt to start. Autozone gold battery replacement performed by owner. Horn has not worked since this first incident; which should be considered a safety issue and not only addressed for possible wiring concern but passenger safety. Within one week, battery was completely dead and battery was replaced and installed by owner. Within one more week, battery was completely dead. On April 13, vehicle was dropped at ase certified mechanic mayberry in columbia, tn and most of 4/13 was attempting to charge the battery. On 4/14, diagnosis resumed with fully charged replacement battery. Loose battery cable tightened. No other issue found. No solution found. Suspect owner will once again have dead battery within days. No horn function.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Oct 222015

200

The smell of gasoline is noticed in the interior of the vehicle after starting. The odor increases as the vehicle is driven and warms up. I have to open the windows in an attempt to dissipate the smell since bringing in outside air through the blower seems to make it worse. It has really gotten bad in the last two months.

- Park Forest, IL, USA

Nov 012015

200

"tamara recall" when I'm driving, whether it's hot outside or rainy, my wiper blades would come on for no apparent reason, and stay on for about a min. When I'm also driving, it sounds like there is water running through my car. Once again, even on sunny days I still hear water. I've taken it to the dealership, and expressed my concerns, but I was told that nothing was wrong. It happens often, so there is no specific date. It's been going on for awhile. I totally disagree !

- Snellville, GA, USA

Dec 312014

200

We purchased this car from someone else for our 17 year old and we have had in the shop for the same noise 3 times and they can't find out what is wrong with it but there is a clunking noise in front end after car has been driven for at least 30 mins and gotten hot. I am very concerned about this and have read where this is a big complaint among owners of the same make, I don't wont to wake up one morning and something has happened to my child because they cant duplicate the issue!!!!

- Bloomingdale, GA, USA

Sep 122012

200 6-cyl

The Chrysler 200 engine will stall when coming to a stop or already stopped. The engine fades slowly away and then completely turns itself off. This entire engine failing process lasts for approximately 7 seconds. This engine failure pose a significant safety risk and something needs to be done Chrysler dealership are aware of this issue, but unfortunately don't have an answer for a resolution of it. This issue needs to be looked at much closer and in-depth, since further delays could cause accidents and death. I plead that Chrysler takes responsibility for this problem and commence a recall program of the Chrysler 200 model. I've personally experienced the engine failing 4 times already. I brought it into the Chrysler dealership and have them take a look at it. I had to let the car sit at their shop for 2 days and they did not offer/give a free rental car for me. This car is under 1 year old. Prior to Chrysler I only owned foreign cars because of the perceived notion that american made cars are not reliable. I decided to give it a chance and wanted to buy american, so I got the Chrysler 200. So far that decision has turned out to be a big mistake (unless Chrysler offers a resolution to this problem). I don't want to lose faith in the american car company and hope that they do the right thing.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 012012

200 6-cyl

Vehicle engine shuts down at stops such as stop signs, red lights etc. Computer shows no incidents. This has happened over a half a dozen times and is a dangerous situation.

- Rockford, IL, USA