Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

2011 Chrysler 200 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Jul 052016

On July 4 the ABS light came on for no reason several times, staying on for long periods of time. There was a clicking noise in the steering colum and wheel. It sounded like it was coming from the left side. On July 5, I was driving to work on a back road with several curves. The ABS light came on again. Clicking was still happening as well. All of a sudden I felt like I was sliding on a sheet of ice. I swirved from side to side and could not get my car under control. Then my vehicle was on two wheels on the passenger side. Which then slide off the road and down a embankment turning several times and landing on the roof of the car. The air bags never deployed. I am now suffering with a broken collar bone due to the accident.

- Reading, PA, USA

Oct 062014

200 4-cyl

I've been made aware that alot of people are having the same issues with their 200 as I am. My car is unsafe to drive. I haven't had it long, I bought it used. And now my dealership doesn't want to fix it. I am unable to keep control of my car when I hit a bump or any uneven pavement in the road. You can't get above 40mph without almost losing control of the car. I just recently bought a brand new set of tires which my front tires is perfect and my back tires are slick!!! I want this issue resolved so I can get my car fixed. I refuse to pay any money to have someone look at it again. Chrysler is aware of the issues with the 200's but isn't fixing them. This is nothing to fool around with, it can be an issue as to the cost of someones life, then Chrysler is going to pay for it, because they are aware of the issues. I like my car and I just want it fixed. I can't even go home to see my family due to the fact of me not being able to drive my car. I have almost wrecked several times and its not worth risking my life. All of the people that has a 200 would really appreciate if this issue will be resolved. Thank you very concerned driver

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Jun 012015

After vehicle reaches highway speeds for 30 or so miles there is a loud clunking noise in the steering area in the engine compartment. Took to dealership and they replaced tie rods and did a alignment. 2 days later same thing happens as well as the alignment was way out of specs, took back to shop where they replaced sway bar and left strut and alignment. Few days later the same sound is happening and the car is out of alignment ruining a new set of tires. Taking back to the shop for third and final time.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 032011

I purchased this car in 2011. When I first hit a depression in the roadway it felt like I would lose control. I just brushed it aside thinking that it was an isolated instance. A few months after owning the car, I was coming back on highway 80 from Tahoe down to the valley. The grooves in the road had me white knuckled driving, as I pretty much felt that I had no control of the vehicle. In a 65 mph zone, I was doing 40 in the slow lane to try to keep the vehicle under control. When I brought it to the dealership they said that they could not find anything wrong. I don't take that car on highway 80 anymore, and when I know there are depressions and slight highway pavement roughness during my every day commute, I am sure to grab the wheel tightly, as I know all the areas along my commute that makes driving over those spots shaky. Please, please have someone check this vehicle out. It is dangerous. I have been trying to sell it because it feels unsafe, but a dealership won't give me what the blue book is worth, and I don't feel right about selling to a private party due to the safety issues. By the way, I found out the struts have been leaking (under 40K miles!!!) and that is a cost of $1,441. This car really is an unsafe vehicle. I could not find any lemon laws for this vehicle, but did find so many others that had the same issue. Also, I believe I already filed a complaint regarding the headlights. Another hazardous issue with this vehicle.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

May 032015

I just bought a used 2011 Chrysler 200 and within a weeks time noticed the rear of the vehicle was all over the road every time I hit a bump. It doesnt matter if its a small or large bump either. At first I was not sure what was wrong and I almost took it back to the dealer I bought it from. I climbed under the car and realized on the rear passenger right there was a little fluid leaking from the strut itself so I know that needs to be replaced. I slid over and looked at the drivers side rear which had no fluid leakage. After owning the car a month now, im relalizing that both sides are doing it and only the one strut appears to be leaking. The car is to the point of being unsafe to drive because of this issue. Ive had cars that needed struts replaced before and never have I felt like the car was unsafe to drive. After doing a little research, I find that this is a known issue for this car and Chrysler is aware of it. So why has this issue not been taken care of if its a known issue. I have children that ride in the back seat and I dont even feel safe driving them in the car. I need to get it fixed but its tough to do when you just bought the vehicle and are in need of getting your plates for the car($1700). And to fix this issue I hve been told that it will run me $600 and that doesnt even include certain parts if they are horribly bad as well. Like I said, this is more than just a strut issue but when I do get it fixed I will report my complete findings of everything that needs to be replaced in the suspension.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Oct 192011

200 4-cyl

The cars rear end bounces excessively on any rough pavement too the point of almost losing control of the vehicle. This happens constantly when driving over 40 mph and then hitting a rough spot or hole in the pavement.

- North Vernon, IN, USA

Jan 082015

It was snowing lightly and this car could not establish traction. I've had the tires examined and they have been verified by a tire company and a dealership to be in good condition. They are all-weather tires. The dealership felt the problem in a test drive and they don't know what is causing the sway or "fishtail" effect. This effect occurs when there is any type of precipitation on the roads. I've researched on the web and discovered many, many complaints about this. All of the owners are afraid to drive this vehicle if there is any moisture on the roads and none of them have been able to resolve the swaying. Some have tried snow tires, have wheels realigned, replacing various parts. Some say that Chrysler employees have claimed it is a "known problem" without a fix. Please get Chrysler to fix this for us.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Mar 202014

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle veered out of control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the control arm bushings had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Pickford, MI, USA

Jan 092012

200 6-cyl

Live in mn. When driving on wet or icy roads the rear end sways back and forth so much you feel like the car will sway so far out of control and cause an accident. The first winter owned the car I started to accelerate down the highway and there was some dry tar but also narrow strips of ice here and there but I could not even get my speed up 30 mph without the back end of the car swaying so hard I had to pull off to the shoulder of the road for fear of causing a wreck. We've been to the dealership with our complaint but no remedy from them. Right now my daughter and her father are driving this car from Illinois (Dec 2013) and they informed me that the highway is wet and they can't even get up to the speed limit without the back end swaying hard back and forth. I am going to contact the dealership again and see if they can provide resolution. I've read similar stories online and wish the Chrysler corporation would recall this vehicle, it is very dangerous. We do not want to own this road hazard any longer. I don't want anyone in my family to drive this car in the rain or snow anymore. I'm terrified this vehicle will cause the death of someone!!

- Callaway, MN, USA

Oct 012012

200 6-cyl

2011 Chrysler 200. Consumer states vehicle makes rattling noise and tires will not stay correctly inflated while driving the consumer stated the vehicle wobbled and bounced side-to-side while driving down the highway in areas where there were rough ridges in the road. The consumer was informed the vehicle was designed that way, as the vehicle had a heavy duty sport suspension. Also, the sunroof leaked on the driver's side.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 222012

200 6-cyl

Hearing front end clunking sounds when accelerating from stop and slowing down to a stop, and also noticing slight pull on steering, I brought my car to Chrysler dealer in avondale, AZ. Since my car is under warranty, only 15 months ownership and under 22K miles, I am concerned. This is the 2nd time my car has had serious problems; first was the transmission which fell apart at one week and 500 miles. The transmission was replaced at no cost to me by this dealer. My concern now is the front end - I was advised the inner tie rod ends are defective and must be replaced; items are on backorder. Why would tie rod ends be defective, so soon, with not excessive mileage at this time" the service manager verbally noted that my car is not the only one with this problem, and yet, no recall has been issued at this time - why not? shouldn't the tie rods also be replaced since they're not affected by the defective tie rod ends" in my opinion, a recall needs to be issued for safety concerns re: Tie rod ends on this vehicle.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Apr 012011

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the rear end swerved out of control while driving at any speed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on several occasions and the contact was informed that this was a known failure that could not yet be remedied. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 25,040.

- Lachine , MI, USA